Opinion Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Goodes is making a stand for aboriginals

Adam Goodes is making a stand for Adam Goodes, making all the right noises now so he can be parachuted into a safe Labor Party seat at the end of his football career like Nova Peris and Peter Garrett. Anybody can see that.

Most sports stars are smart enough to wait until their playing career is over before getting involved in politics. Especially if they are the sensitive type who can't stand being booed.

Nobody said he had to shut up.

He just shouldn't cry when people boo him. They have just as much right to express their opinion as he does.

The response of the left is typical - try to ban and punish people for their opinion by painting anyone who disagrees with him as a racist. That's what's happening both the greater debate in the AFL and the meta-debate on this forum and in this thread - left wingers want the opinions of anyone who disagrees with them banned. Just like literally always.

So predictable it's boring.
And right wingers don't? It's almost the definition of someone radical that they want to suppress the ideas of the other side whether they hail from the left or the right ....

Without the emotion of racism, the booing does not have enough oxygen to continue. You literally just spent hours debating this exact point, so you probably have a pretty strong emotion about it, too. At least you admit that you support the booing because of what Adam Goodes stands for and the views that he has made public, and not make up another excuse to justify it.

Now you can argue whether people should be allowed to be racist to protect free speech (there are opposing opinions, that both seem to have some merit for me), but you can't argue that singling someone out for taking a stand for aboriginal people is not racist ...

PS: Can you name another sportsperson that has been booed because of their political opinions in Australia?

Most sports stars are smart enough to wait until their playing career is over before getting involved in politics.

Politics does not reduce to party politics. And separating sports from politics is itself a political move, helping you to naturalise and hide behind your individualism.

They're overlapping here, pal. Sorry about your little burst bubble.

I'm not saying all African American's are like that, I am more going by episodes of COPS and various recent police shootings of African American teens that have caused riots in small American towns. Yes, there are some officers who are racist, but there are ones on the other end of the spectrum as well that are treated as such but are clearly not the case.

You know, from your post I was originally gonna take a wild guess that you formed your current — hopefully, there's room for change — extremely limited and narrow opinion of us based on "Cops" TV episodes, but I thought no one — absolutely NO ONE — could possibly be that impressionable.

Please read on, because I really hope you'll prove me right.

Let me ask you this: What if I'd never visited Australia and I formed all my opinions on white Australians based on nothing other than YouTube clips of racist ones in Cronulla bashing Lebanese-Australians during the '05 riots, or better yet, on the racist rantings of some hateful West Coast Eagles fans, directed at Adam Goodes?

Would you agree that if I thought that way, then attributed their actions to nothing other than their being white, I'd have a pretty distorted (read, f***ed up) view of Australians of European heritage? Would you agree that I'd be rushing to judgment and taking a pretty small sample size of the millions of people, from which to form an impression?

Mate, I hope you'll accept my challenge: Please take some time to read the following article: http://newsone.com/2023676/police-brutality-against-blacks/

It was written three years ago, BEFORE the deaths of African-Americans Tamir Rice, Michael Brown, Freddie Gray, Eric Garner — all in encounters with police — and the mysterious death in police custody involving Sandra Bland.

Then read this article: http://www.democracynow.org/2015/5/26/137_shots_no_convictions_cleveland_cop

After you read both, ask yourself this question: If you were law abiding citizen and you saw a pattern of police routinely harassing and brutalizing you, your family members, your friends not only in your community, but throughout your city and across the country that had persisted for generations and the perpetrators not being sanctioned and if you were treated as if you were guilty merely by association or by where you live, would you not feel angry enough to riot?

While I don't applaud rioting, destruction and violence, I'd need my head examined if I didn't understand the pain, anger, frustration, despair and moral outrage reaching the tipping point that caused the eruptions.

My final advice to you? Stop watching "Cops." NOW!

You're getting ONE perspective and certainly not the entire story in an edited 30-minute show. Depending on "Cops" to teach you about African-Americans is as ludicrous as me leaning on the YouTube show, "The Legend of Gavin Tanner" to teach me about white Aussies.

Google some insightful articles by African-American journalists on the subject to gain some perspective. Go to the American consulate and see if you can find some additional resources on learning about our history and culture. Better yet: Find some real African-Americans there to talk to.

Hell, like our Coach Lyon, I'm an anywhere, anytime kinda guy. I'd be happy to meet you and talk to you next time I'm in Australia. I'll even shout you a beer.

I won't bite. I have no criminal record and I won't start a riot. Well... maybe I will if the Eagles beat us in a Grand Final.

See? I also have a decent sense of humor — even if if my "Americanness" prevents me from spelling that word with a second "u." :D

Ask anyone on this board who's met me in person this year or a couple of years ago — they'll vouch for me.

Peace!

Last edited:
You know, from your post I was originally gonna take a wild guess that you formed your current — hopefully, there's room for change — extremely limited and narrow opinion of us based on "Cops" TV episodes, but I thought no one — absolutely NO ONE — could possibly be that impressionable.

Let me ask you this: What if I'd never visited Australia and I formed all my opinions on white Australians based on nothing other than YouTube clips of racist ones in Cronulla bashing Lebanese-Australians during the '05 riots, or better yet, on the racist rantings of some hateful West Coast Eagles fans, directed at Adam Goodes?

Would you agree that if I thought that way, then attributed their actions to nothing other than their being white, I'd have a pretty distorted (read, f***ed up) view of Australians of European heritage? Would you agree that I'd be rushing to judgment and taking a pretty small sample size of the millions of people, from which to form an impression?

Mate, I hope you'll accept my challenge: Please take some time to read the following article: http://newsone.com/2023676/police-brutality-against-blacks/

It was written three years ago, BEFORE the deaths of African-Americans Tamir Rice, Michael Brown, Freddie Gray, Eric Garner — all in encounters with police — and the mysterious death in police custody involving Sandra Bland.

Then read this article: http://www.democracynow.org/2015/5/26/137_shots_no_convictions_cleveland_cop

After you read both, ask yourself this question: If you were law abiding citizen and you saw a pattern of police routinely harassing and brutalizing you, your family members, your friends not only in your community, but throughout your city and across the country that had persisted for generations and the perpetrators not being sanctioned and if you were treated as if you were guilty merely by association or by where you live, would you not feel angry enough to riot?

While I don't applaud rioting, destruction and violence, I'd need my head examined if I didn't understand the pain, anger, frustration, despair and moral outrage reaching the tipping point that caused the eruptions.

You're getting ONE perspective and certainly not the entire story in an edited 30-minute show. Depending on "Cops" to teach you about African-Americans is as ludicrous as me leaning on the YouTube show, "The Legend of Gavin Tanner" to teach me about white Aussies.

Google some insightful articles by African-American journalists on the subject to gain some perspective. Go to the American consulate and see if you can find some additional resources on learning about our history and culture. Better yet: Find some real African-Americans there to talk to.

Hell, like our Coach Lyon, I'm an anywhere, anytime kinda guy. I'd be happy to meet and you talk to you next time I'm in Australia. I'll even shout you a beer.

I won't bite. I have no criminal record and I won't start a riot. Well... maybe I will if the Eagles beat us in a Grand Final.

See? I also have a decent sense of humor — even if if my "Americanness" prevents me from spelling that word without a second "u." :D

Ask anyone on this board who's met me in person this year or a couple of years ago — they'll vouch for me.

Peace!
Well said. I suggest to anyone who makes an assumption about a race of people based on a few snippets of a TV show... maybe travel a bit and meet some people before making up your mind.

Without the emotion of racism, the booing does not have enough oxygen to continue. You literally just spent hours debating this exact point, so you probably have a pretty strong emotion about it, too. At least you admit that you support the booing because of what Adam Goodes stands for and the views that he has made public, and not make up another excuse to justify it.

That's correct, I support the booing because Adam Goodes is a left wing politician and I don't like left-wing politicians.

I supported him through the whole 13-year old saga because I genuinely don't think he is responsible for the way the girl was treated by security and the police. That is the fault of security and the police force. But when Goodes decided to accept his Australian Of The Year award and then go on a rant how the day makes him sad and white people were the worst thing to ever happen to him that's when I stopped defending him.

Goodes is a politician now. I would rather not line the pocket of politicians with whom I disagree. That is why I don't pay to go to Noam Chomsky lectures and I don't like Adam Goodes either. If some white footy player appeared in a PETA campaign or spoke at an anti-live export protest I would boo the s**t out of them too.

It's got nothing to do with what colour he is, it's to do with his politics.

I realise to most people here that being right-wing is the same thing as being racist. But you have to realise that people who think that way are just as intolerant as the bogans they hate.

I am sure there are a certain segment of people who are booing Goodes because they can finally get away with booing an Aboriginal player (as Clogged said), but there are probably a much bigger percentage who are booing him because of the way he has carried on. Him doing the war dance was a stupid thing to do, how did he think people would respond? A warm round of applause?

Last edited:

Hell, like our Coach Lyon, I'm an anywhere, anytime kinda guy. I'd be happy to meet you and talk to you next time I'm in Australia. I'll even shout you a beer.

See? I also have a decent sense of humor — even if if my "Americanness" prevents me from spelling that word without a second "u." :D

Peace!
Mate, as I said I have formed this opinion through many forms, not just cops. I read American news all the time, I've already been to America recently. This is the same as the Adam Goodes debate, it cuts both ways. Yes, there are some people who are genuinely racist and will insult/hurt a black person because of their colour (See the South Carolina shootings), but then there are the other ones where a person has pulled the race card on something that was not a racially motivated attack and it has stirred a hornets nest (see the Shooting of Antonio Martin in Berkeley, Missouri)

Also.. you did meet me briefly at your venture to Subiaco for the Collingwood game ;) I happened to be in town for work at the time so I went to the game myself, even though I am from Adelaide. I'm very well traveled (and apparently part aboriginal myself my mum says may or may not be true)

Last edited:
Well said. I suggest to anyone who makes an assumption about a race of people based on a few snippets of a TV show... maybe travel a bit and meet some people before making up your mind.

When I read that he had formed his view based on watching the T.V show "Cops" I honestly had to re-read it a few times it was so idiotic. Then put it in the context of replying to someone who lives that situation everyday makes it even more baffling.

Adam Goodes is making a stand for Adam Goodes, making all the right noises now so he can be parachuted into a safe Labor Party seat at the end of his football career like Nova Peris and Peter Garrett. Anybody can see that.

Most sports stars are smart enough to wait until their playing career is over before getting involved in politics. Especially if they are the sensitive type who can't stand being booed.

You keep breaking up my posts and putting in bits and pieces that suit you, respond to it as one post and I might take time to answer. As it stands now I'm moving on from you,I hope you get to see a little bit of sunshine in your heart and life before it's to late :( if times ever go bad for you I'm certain your the type that will be in straight for a hand up if you're not in the trough already.:rainbow:

Last edited:
You keep breaking up my posts and putting in bits and pieces that suit you, either respond to it as one post

I'll quote your posts however I feel like it. If I only feel like responding to a certain part of it, that's what I'll do.

Don't like it? Don't post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, as I said I have formed this opinion through many forms, not just cops. I read American news all the time, I've already been to America recently. This is the same as the Adam Goodes debate, it cuts both ways. Yes, there are some people who are genuinely racist and will insult/hurt a black person because of their colour (See the South Carolina shootings), but then there are the other ones where a person has pulled the race card on something that was not a racially motivated attack and it has stirred a hornets nest (see the Shooting of Antonio Martin in Berkeley, Missouri)

Just stop, you are trying to argue your opinion based on T.V shows and news articles. Can I quickly guess that your trip of America was limited to the likes of New York, LA/San Fran, Chicago, Boston and Vegas?

Highlighting the parts you disagree with does not constitute an argument.

The left-wing version of "kindness" has been tried for 40 years and has been an abject failure. So you can't just use sarcasm as a defense for it. You would need an actual argument. But it seems that's beyond you.

Where do you get this left wing kindness bullshit causing all the problems . Governments on both sides of politics have followed the same formula.
Australia is the only country to have achieved the total genocide of a race of people.The indigenous people of Tasmania wiped out .Even Hitler and Pol Pot not through want of trying got any where near achieving that.Australia has a dark and violent history of racism .My generation ,the fathers,mother's grandparents all stood by and did nothing about the stolen generation when it was happening.Something we should all be eternally ashamed of.Australia is racist end of story.

Imagine the temerity of an Aboriginal man questioning whether Australia Day should be celebrated.

Aboriginal people won the lottery of history when the British landed here ahead of whoever else it might have been. Former British colonies dominate the lists of "Best places in the world". Former French, Dutch and Belgian colonies dominate the list of rape, genocide and war.

If anyone else had colonised Australia, it would have gone far, far worse. If nobody had ever colonised Austraia, Aboriginal people would now be extinct at the hands of the Imperial Japanese Army.

Aboriginal people won the lottery of history when the British landed here ahead of whoever else it might have been. Former British colonies dominate the lists of "Best places in the world". Former French, Dutch and Belgian colonies dominate the list of rape, genocide and war.

If anyone else had colonised Australia, it would have gone far, far worse. If nobody had ever colonised Austraia, Aboriginal people would now be extinct at the hands of the Imperial Japanese Army.

Let's ignore all history, including recent history, and make up some alternate history that could have been worse. Because it's much easier than actually dealing with the effects of history and taking responsibility for it.

They are extinct in Tasmania.Poisoned and butchered by the English colonists.Murdered in WA for killing a sheep or a cow for food.You have know idea what you are talking about.

Let's ignore all history, including recent history, and make up some alternate history that could have been worse. Because it's much easier than actually dealing with the effects of history and taking responsibility for it.

It seems you only want to remember the bad parts of history though. You don't seem to feel like celebrating any of the good parts of Western European civilisation. Only crying about the bad parts.

That is the key difference between the left and the right. The left literally think Western Civilisation is the worst thing ever. The right think it's pretty ace.

Adam Goodes is lucky to be born in an Australia colonised by the British Empire. As are we all. It's a far better place now than it was before.

Very glad you've been to the States. Hope you met some African-Americans while there.

And...we actually met at Subi? I'm glad we did, then! I hope we meet again.

But it's ironic you use a trite, recycled, 1990s catchphrase — "playing the race card" — originated by a discredited, disgraced police detective, Mark Fuhrman, who not only perjured himself in the O.J. Simpson trial, but wouldn't even answer in court as to whether he'd ever falsified police reports! Even the very prosecution he was part of eventually saw him for the clown he was.

What does "the race card" even look like? Is it like the Joker? A king? Queen?

Seriously, yes, there are some people — worldwide — who will falsely insist they have been victimized because of their identity when they themselves are at fault. But mate, come on, given the history of racially-motivated police brutality in the U.S., compared to the number of African-Americans who, to use Fuhrman's phrase, "play the race card" to "stir up a hornet's nest" to incite anti-police sentiments is like comparing Mt. Everest to an anthill.

As far as Adam Goodes's situation goes? It's not just him who says the constant, continuing booing and epithets have racial overtones. His teammates, West Coast Eagles players, officials, some of their fans, other opposing players, coaches, the AFL Players Union and the AFL itself ALL — that's right, ALL! — agree with Goodes.

Seriously, what more would it take to convince you?

Do you think Goodes somehow is using brainwashing powers to make so many people come around to his way of thinking?

If people at Subi and the MCG and other grounds are calling Goodes an ape, he's not "playing the race card" in reporting it. He is documenting his being racially vilified.

To equate a human being to an ape is to humiliate and dehumanize one and label that person sub-human and intellectually inferior.

No one of ANY ethnicity should have to put up with that crap from anyone — not on a footy oval or anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back