Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polly Farmer aside, there are plenty of Australians out there doing community service and the like. Goodes receiving the award certainly smelled of political pandering. There were people doing more impressive and important things that get overlooked for a bit of tokenism. Have a click on the various descriptions - wouldn't have been many peoples' first choice if actual achievements were the sole criteria.

And yet...not a peep when AB or Tubs get it for winning a few Test series.

I'm sure John Farnham won the award for all the orphanages he built with his bare hands. Yet, people couldn't have cared less, until Goodes won it. I didn't care before, I didn't care when Goodes won and I won't care who wins for the next 50 years.

The right to boo Goodes is more important than the welfare of the player apparently.

That's where many here are starting to show their true colours. "Make him suffer".
If he admitted he is getting depression then yes I'm sure the crowds would stop. At this point it just looks like he's having a sook though.

Whenever I head out with the footy club there is always a huge amount of hate directed at Goodes and one or two guys will always start mentioning how he gets away with things because he's black especially once they have a couple of beers. Occasionally someone will go "come on your better than that mate" which is good but it still shows that their is a decent amount of people who are clearly against him because of his race or political views. Its not as bad as when I go home to country Victoria where its just open slather. There is a large enough percentage of racist boo-ers to make all the booing racist so while you continue to boo I'm sorry your part of that group and that makes you seem just a little bit racist

He will go hard victim mode, so as to let the narrative "it's racist" become more entrenched. He'll be silent, then he'll do a single tell all and cry. You know he will.

The book is written, they're probably just tidying up all the foot notes now. Should have a pool on what month next year it'll be released.

was a bit broader than that but didn't last too long as the afl was pretty strong in getting the racial vilification up and started there education program, it quieted down quickly but there was a fair bit of racial abuse back then and it did continue for a bit until people in the crowd started pulling people up.

fair enough.

So 2 very public figures that took fairly strong anti-racism stances in game - One got booed for a few weeks whereas the other has gone on for at least a couple of years.

So what has changed? or why the difference crowd behaviours? - Given that you would expect crowds to be better behaved/informed etc nowadays, why is goodes different?

Personally, I think that a lot of the booing of goodes has been due to the perception of him being 'protected' by the AFL and due to his various on/off-field actions as many have eluded to. By responding the way he has, it just adds fuel to the fire.

Historically I've just viewed goodes as another footballer (albeit a very good one) - in more recent times though, the word tool comes to mind more often than not.
- the 13 yo girl incident didn't help (cf majak daw/lin jong racism responses to crowd racial abuse)
- australian of the year (not his fault but smacked of being a political decision, some of the things said afterwards lacked class/diplomacy)
- spear throwing - initially denied it being directed at the crowd, later admitting it was directed at the crowd - I didn't buy the cultural tribute aspect of it - should have gotten all the indigenous guys together pre match to perform the dance. Smacked too much of 'look at moi'

Goodes will retire before the end of the year adding to his martyrdom which will be perfect for his new career as a politician.
And you'll continue banging away on bigfooty in your underpants. Adam wins.

In years to come this will be looked back on as one of the most shameful episodes in Australian sport.

Just one example of several dirty sniping plays by Goodes where the AFL just let it go. Fair bump play on.... apparently

That... happens all the time on the field. In round 10 Melksham ran a mile to knock over Johnson from behind and there wasn't a peep.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something that made me realize how bad this situation is when Mickey O said that his daughter asked him why they are booing 'uncle' goodesy?

- To all those people that continue to think it's okay to boo him. What justifiable reason could you tell a child when they ask you... why are you booing him soo much?

Google result for Richmond greyhounds race 8 today .....
Racists. :D
4 BOO 2.60 1.70
6 ROCKET TO GLORY 2.80
8 UP AND UNDER NO DIV
SCR 5

When people claim they boo Goodes for reasons that have nothing to do with his race, or his stance on indigenous issues, I believe they are telling the truth. I believe that having higher authorities police what motivates the average fan for their actions will frustrate people. Many have seen the campaign against the booing of Goodes to be completely stripping their freedoms, and they are protesting that notion. There would also be some who just don't like him for many different on field reasons.

BUT, those same people have to realise, that while your motives for booing Goodes may be pure, there are many others who are motivated by racism. It can't be denied that many people in the crowd are booing Goodes because he is a high profile aboriginal man with incredibly strong views on indigenous issues. He uses his platform to further his cause, and that makes people uncomfortable. Booing as a result of this is casual racism.

So, if you choose to boo Goodes this weekend, next weekend or any other weekend, you are lending your voice and support to casual racism. It may not be your intention, but it is certainly the result of your actions. You are shielding the true racists in the crowd, and inadvertently aligning yourself with them.

I hope those who are planning to attend a Sydney game for the rest of this year take a step back to think. We know everyone should have the right to boo the opposition, and we know it's not fair of the AFL to over police our behaviour or questions our motives, but when you choose to boo Adam, you choose to support casual racism. Just ask the question, is my right to boo Adam Goodes so important, I'm prepared to join the side of intolerance?

The problem with this is that if you give in to the argument about the link with causal racism and decide not to boo him as a result, you have been defeated by the other side of the battlefield who tried to silence you. To some, the idea of freedom of expression is more important than others feeling you are supporting racism.

If the booing has been going on for so long, why has it only become racist in the last few weeks.

I was wondering this as well.

Sydney didn't say much about this over the last two months when they were winning but after a few big losses in a row they've "had enough of it".

Football fans have the right to express themselves at games and this includes booing opposition players. Goodes is not special and he is not beyond being booed. Goodes does at times remonstrate with umpires, dive, and (a long time ago) had been accused on multiple occasions of some dirty play. Opposition fans generally don't like this behaviour and It is perfectly natural to boo Goodes at the time the behaviour is occurring, and sometimes for a short period thereafter. If Goodes was involved in a more serious incident, it would be normal for the boos to last the entire game, however fans generally lose interest after 3 or 4 touches and would forget after a break in the game. This is the status quo and has been since I have followed AFL or most other sports for that matter.

This is not what is occurring in this situation. What we are seeing here is hate and anger being directed towards a player, from the first to final siren by what sounds like the majority of the crowd. It has been happening for over 3 months and instead of dying a natural death, it is gaining momentum despite no further fuel being put on the fire.

This is different to anything I have seen in 25 years of watching football. The SM example, in terms of volume and consistency goes close, but whilst he should have been afforded the presumption of innocence he was involved in high profile allegations of rape, a crime despised by all. This therefore has no parallel to what Goodes is experiencing.

I do think the booing in its entirety has racial overtones and there are people booing Goodes because they are racist. I am willing to concede that not all people booing Goodes are racist, so lets put the racism debate aside for a minute and assume nobody is booing Goodes for racist reasons.

Is it acceptable for large crowds of people to collectively direct a tirade of hate and abuse at an individual for sustained periods of time again and again for weeks on end? Is this how you want to behave? Do you feel entitled to do so because you have paid admission to the game? Are you setting a good example for your kids? are you fine that society finds this acceptable? are you surprised that you feel so passionate about why you dislike the man?

If he admitted he is getting depression then yes I'm sure the crowds would stop. At this point it just looks like he's having a sook though.

you know this sort of mob bullying could lead to depression, yeah?

but no, let's just wait til it gets to that stage before it's considered inappropriate.

So
1. he knew she was young when he pointed her out
2. He made a big deal of it on the ground after the match
3. He had all night to think of a way to deal with it
4. He admitted she didn't realise what she'd said was so bad and STILL laid into her with the "face of racism"

MacGuire is a tool
I wasn't surprised he behaved like that
He's a misogynistic purple headed tool

The bit where he said she's the 'face of racism', I think he was pretty obviously saying we are all the face of racism. A 13 year old girl, a 50 year old man, etc. It can be anyone. Quite beautifully put actually. Went over your head though obviously.

Are you really going to continue to wear down someones mental health just so you can exercise your 'right to boo'?

That is petty, in fact it's disgusting. Who cares if you think he's soft, clearly him and his family are being effected. Why continue? I don't understand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back