Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Difficult to have any further interest in the season.

One of the nicest people you could meet is being bullied into early retirement.

It's putrid - and if you ask me he has tried to be a uniter not a divider - people cannot accept the fact that being equal means being honest with one another - and the arseholes console themselves with a sickening righteousness about their position - and worst still call the call the victim racist - disgust is the only feeling I have

Last edited:
Exactly. I feel he was totally reasonable in pointing her out. I would have said lesson learned - but judging from her family's statement, everyone is to blame except them!

If a 13 year old girl calls me an Asian scum, she will get a good kick up the ass from me !
If this girl did the same thing to a black player in the EPL or the NBA, she would be in more deep trouble than in Australia.

If this girl did the same thing to a black player in the EPL or the NBA, she would be in more deep trouble than in Australia.
It's because Australia is yet to deal with it's past

No it doesn't. It means kids can't think through the consequences of their actions.

She was 13. She says she didn't know ape was a racial slur. I didn't know it until the Symonds affair and I was a lot older.

If what you suggest is true all kids are evil little buggers because all the nasty s**t they do is preplanned with the outcome firmly in mind for both themselves and the target.

Go read up on when the brain fully develops.

The core reason age is relevant is it is irrefutable that children do not have developed brains and cannot think like an adult. It is why law for minors is different to adults.

It is why age is called a disability in some areas of law.

If you think she is lying, which is possible, then sure go and have at it and think she is an evil racist and toss all the names you want to throw at her.

Me - I am prepared to cut a kid some slack and believe that whilst she certainly trying to abuse Goodes, just like Swans fans do to opposition players all the time me included, she was not attempting to racially slur him in any sense of the word.

Not sure if you have kids but would you be happy if this happened to your child remembering you have no evidence this child was brought up any different to how you have brought up or will bring your own kids?

My kids were complete loonys at 13 and did outrageously stupid things. And I can categorically say that although they were aware of race they would have little cognitive reasoning in working out racial pejoratives and the impact they would have on an adult.
Sorry can't agree, nurture nature. She was mimicking what she thought was OK and that's the saddest thing

No it doesn't. It means kids can't think through the consequences of their actions.

She was 13. She says she didn't know ape was a racial slur. I didn't know it until the Symonds affair and I was a lot older.

If what you suggest is true all kids are evil little buggers because all the nasty s**t they do is preplanned with the outcome firmly in mind for both themselves and the target.

Go read up on when the brain fully develops.

The core reason age is relevant is it is irrefutable that children do not have developed brains and cannot think like an adult. It is why law for minors is different to adults.

It is why age is called a disability in some areas of law.

If you think she is lying, which is possible, then sure go and have at it and think she is an evil racist and toss all the names you want to throw at her.

Me - I am prepared to cut a kid some slack and believe that whilst she certainly trying to abuse Goodes, just like Swans fans do to opposition players all the time me included, she was not attempting to racially slur him in any sense of the word.

Not sure if you have kids but would you be happy if this happened to your child remembering you have no evidence this child was brought up any different to how you have brought up or will bring your own kids?

My kids were complete loonys at 13 and did outrageously stupid things. And I can categorically say that although they were aware of race they would have little cognitive reasoning in working out racial pejoratives and the impact they would have on an adult.

Perhaps I was not clear. I am saying that the reason why the reaction to Goodes pointing her out is oft quoted 'a young kid'. If Adam had pointed out an adult the general reaction would have been much different.

So then, why is her youth so inflammatory? My belief is that it exposes our failure. A failure of this current society to protect our young from the harmful aspects of our world. We have core belief that our children are innocent and we have protected them. Clearly we do not succeed, but never has our failure been made more blatant than showing on national tv a young person using racist language.

Had a good chat to a few opposition supporters on the issue at work.

The sentiment was, essentially, they boo goodes because they think he is a w***er.

However, I feel this is a superficial analysis of why there is booing of Goodes specifically. The next question is 'why do you think he is a w***er', followed by 'its the way he talks'.

Personally I don't buy that. Sure, you can think someone is a w***er but the actions demonstrated by the general footballing community seem to have much deeper.

It is a shame that he has become so divisive instead of fostering a dialogue about the indigenous community and social issues attached.

Irony is, most people use his activism on the issue to then state it is 'all about him'.

Following the debate on here as I have- as a lot of us have- over the past couple of years and particularly over the past few days has been nothing short of depressing.

People have so far to go.

Australian society has so far to go.

Goodes is booed because, at their core, even people who are not overtly racist do not like being confronted with uncomfortable questions about both their own prejudices and the continuing, uncomfortable questions that all of this raises about Australian society today and the nation's past.

I am sorry that so many of you have had to read and hear what you have over the past two years and, again, over the past few days even more so. Just horrible.

I think, for what it is worth, that the moral here is that it shouldn't be Adam Goodes (although I can't begin to even think how he must be feeling) that this is about. It's that the next alwyn Davey or jake Neade or Allen Christensen can't or shouldn't be expected to face this and that it's not just us at the swans who have that have had to read and hear it - it's any of us who think that this could happen to any of us.

I don't want this to be seen as pile in on the swans and its part of the reason why I am fundamentally glad that it hasn't been just swans supporters responding to this. It's for any person who thinks there is something wrong about these actions - we can't go on like this and we can't let the loudest voice win.

Perhaps I was not clear. I am saying that the reason why the reaction to Goodes pointing her out is oft quoted 'a young kid'. If Adam had pointed out an adult the general reaction would have been much different.

So then, why is her youth so inflammatory? My belief is that it exposes our failure. A failure of this current society to protect our young from the harmful aspects of our world. We have core belief that our children are innocent and we have protected them. Clearly we do not succeed, but never has our failure been made more blatant than showing on national tv a young person using racist language.
And further, the person who highlights that failure is victimised like some vile demon

The sentiment was, essentially, they boo goodes because they think he is a ******.

However, I feel this is a superficial analysis of why there is booing of Goodes specifically. The next question is 'why do you think he is a ******', followed by 'its the way he talks'.

Personally I don't buy that. Sure, you can think someone is a ****** but the actions demonstrated by the general footballing community seem to have much deeper.

It is a shame that he has become so divisive instead of fostering a dialogue about the indigenous community and social issues attached.

Irony is, most people use his activism on the issue to then state it is 'all about him'.

This is why there is, imho, racism at the heart of this. The way he talks is a coded response for he agitates on race issues. It's just that no-one will admit to the racism element and they clothe it behind the sham.

The sentiment was, essentially, they boo goodes because they think he is a ******.

However, I feel this is a superficial analysis of why there is booing of Goodes specifically. The next question is 'why do you think he is a ******', followed by 'its the way he talks'.

Personally I don't buy that. Sure, you can think someone is a ****** but the actions demonstrated by the general footballing community seem to have much deeper.

What about the way he talks shits them so much? Very interested what offends people so

What about the way he talks shits them so much? Very interested what offends people so

Not sure, wasn't articulated. Just guessing from the conversation but think it was his 'Preachy' or some such. Can be kind of justified for a little boo, but the extent and ferocity of it bespeaks of something different IMO.

Personally feel it is the message which irks and makes people uncomfortable and irrate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure, wasn't articulated. Just guessing from the conversation but think it was his 'Preachy' or some such. Can be kind of justified for a little boo, but the extent and ferocity of it bespeaks of something different IMO.

Personally feel it is the message which irks and makes people uncomfortable and irrate

Most probably they did not even read his AOTY speech or know all the good work he does in the community. They just form their opinions based on what their families/friends say or what they hear on radio or the headlines they see/read in the news / papers. (People nowadays have a short attention span and are too lazy to research further to make an informed opinion) And it's scary to think that some of these morons are allowed to vote.

Exactly. I feel he was totally reasonable in pointing her out. I would have said lesson learned - but judging from her family's statement, everyone is to blame except them!
Adam did her a favour pointing out her ignorance. If he hadn't would she ever question her racism, whether it was conscious or not? She may now have a chance to escape the shackles of growing up to be an ignorant adult. He also had the decency to feel sorry for her which seems to be forgotten. Hopefully he plays again, but I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

I think, for what it is worth, that the moral here is that it shouldn't be Adam Goodes (although I can't begin to even think how he must be feeling) that this is about. It's that the next alwyn Davey or jake Neade or Allen Christensen can't or shouldn't be expected to face this and that it's not just us at the swans who have that have had to read and hear it - it's any of us who think that this could happen to any of us.

I don't want this to be seen as pile in on the swans and its part of the reason why I am fundamentally glad that it hasn't been just swans supporters responding to this. It's for any person who thinks there is something wrong about these actions - we can't go on like this and we can't let the loudest voice win.
What it does is silence anyone that even thinks about speaking out. Can you imagine any Aboriginal player speaking out about racism after all this? Australia has always been a country that finds anyone with an opinion confronting or embarrassing. That's why we're such a conformist and apathetic country.

If he had pointed out a big missing toothed oaf the claim would change from picking on a kid to let's see him point out an oaf in the streets and see if he is tough enough.

From the beginning the hate has been racism. Sure, not everyone booed because they are racist, but at some point they knew why they were booing and rather than being ashamed, as they should be, it emboldened them.
What really irks me is that all the people making excuses for their atrocious behaviour don't even have the integrity to stand up and say why they are really booing. Cowards, the lot of them. Weak, lowest forms of human being questioning another person's character when their own character lacks a lot to be desired.

Following the debate on here as I have- as a lot of us have- over the past couple of years and particularly over the past few days has been nothing short of depressing.

People have so far to go.

Australian society has so far to go.

Goodes is booed because, at their core, even people who are not overtly racist do not like being confronted with uncomfortable questions about both their own prejudices and the continuing, uncomfortable questions that all of this raises about Australian society today and the nation's past.

I am sorry that so many of you have had to read and hear what you have over the past two years and, again, over the past few days even more so. Just horrible.

It is not for you to apologise. The people that booed Goodesy for things other than race need not apologise either.
It is the scum of the earth racists that should be apologising but we all know that will never happen because they are all cowards.

What it does is silence anyone that even thinks about speaking out. Can you imagine any Aboriginal player speaking out about racism after all this? Australia has always been a country that finds anyone with an opinion confronting or embarrassing. That's why we're such a conformist and apathetic country.

What worries me even more is any person. Once you have the myrdoch attack dogs panahi, bolt, Devine (where is albrechtsen to make the fourth horseman of the apocalypse) and Alan jones and so on.. We will get to the stage that only professional agitators will be able to engage and contribute on matters of public policy., because they have the resources of political parties, thick skins from repeated debates of this nature.

Your point is good - challenging the status quo is central to a society that is prepared to actually look at itself and want improvement.

I'm as white Australian as you get. Family goes back to the second fleet. Relatives died at Anzac cove, played rugby league for Australia and so on. I love the country and many of the achievements. But I simply don't see why I can't be challenged to make it better yet. I can't see why we can't strive together to give all of us the best opportunities, and still recognise that some won't make it for historical reasons.

Some of the - why should I feel guilt about what happened 200 years ago crowd appal me - we are all logged onto a football site - how many of them feel pride about their teams latest win - and what part did they play in that precisely ? The guilt and the pride are two sides of the same coin - that we are part of a community whether that be of the swans, the afl, or even Australia. And communities must be judged not just on their successes but also on their failures. Why is it so hard to say that what Goodes wants is a better Australia ?

Adam Goodes is a champion of our game and will always be a champion but it wont only be because he was a champion footballer it will also be because he made society listen.

I want to add. I have a 13 yo nephew and he is a good kid. He knows the meaning of racism, he understands difference between right and wrong. And let me tell you. If this happened to him. If he slipped and was accidentally racist. He would be independantly incredibly remorseful. He would try and do the right thing by the person... Why is that? Because hes a good kid. Because hes brought up right.
Racism is an educational issue! Its a generational issue!
I dont hate the kid. But the parents. Its absolutely shameful. Stop acting like victims. It disgusts me.

What are we going to do on the weekend? I'm all for holding up Adam's #37 as visual means of support when they run through the banner right up until first bounce. Alternatives?
I'm not sure how many AFL rules the team would be breaking, but I'd love to see all of them run out with the number 37 on their backs.

As for us supporters, it's going to be much harder to show support now that Goodes won't be running around out there with them.

I hope he's back playing for the St Kilda game in august, it will be my last chance to see the man run around in the flesh and I've had accom booked for months now.

Some of the - why should I feel guilt about what happened 200 years ago crowd appal me - we are all logged onto a football site - how many of them feel pride about their teams latest win - and what part did they play in that precisely ? The guilt and the pride are two sides of the same coin - that we are part of a community whether that be of the swans, the afl, or even Australia. And communities must be judged not just on their successes but also on their failures. Why is it so hard to say that what Goodes wants is a better Australia ?

Brilliant post!
When you read the main board or the Hawks board it is quite astonishing that these people still think they are doing nothing wrong.
There are some reasonable posters on the Hawks board that have attempted to reason with the 'mob' but get shouted down by the usual array of morons.
The booing won't stop, the last few days has just reaffirmed that it is impossible to reason with unreasonable people.

What are we going to do on the weekend? I'm all for holding up Adam's #37 as visual means of support when they run through the banner right up until first bounce. Alternatives?

For the remainder of the season all clubs should encourage supporters to stand up against racism. Make a point of pointing out the racists in the crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back