Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you notice that they only ever show Gil McGlachlan from the waist up? Wanna know why?

So that you can't see Andrew Demetriou with his hand up Gil's back.

Haha very good

He might try that if people stop calling him an ape and telling him to go back to the zoo.

The hatred began with us and he has lived with it his whole life.
You have picked out two voices in the crowd, well done.

Ones a kid who had no idea, the other probably a drunken fool! Hardly representative of the entire footy community, oh except those refined swans fans of course

Saying somebody is acting like a pillock for daring to call out racism? Seriously? You don't see why people think that's indicative of your own racism?

Sorry champ, don't see him as Saint Goodesy like the rest of you. He has plenty of dirt on his CV.

The bit where he said she's the 'face of racism', I think he was pretty obviously saying we are all the face of racism. A 13 year old girl, a 50 year old man, etc. It can be anyone. Quite beautifully put actually. Went over your head though obviously.
Oh, ok I get, it's ok if the abuse and booing isn't loud enough to be heard on TV.

Well, that clearly makes it completely acceptable.

:rolleyes:
How about me? I've been to nearly all Melbourne games in Victoria since Watts came onto the field and was tackled by 3 Pies immediately.

Watts has copped it a fair bit (and mainly from Melbourne supporters), but to suggest it's even close to what Goodes has been going through is utter bulls***. And you know it.

Just listened to the AOTY speech again. Goodes might be doing great work in the aboriginal community, but calling Australia Day as Invasion Day does not help the cause for reconciliation. If anything it sets it back. What a self-entitled campaigner he is.
Invasion Day is a much more accurate term for that particular date than Australia Day, Australia only became a nation on the 1st of January 1901.

Do they have a friendly dance? Maybe that might have worked

Marc murphys finger salute is not more inflaming than pretending to chuck a spear! Do a survey, how many people recognised that as sone ceremonial war dance? Certainly the bewildered faces in the crowd that night told a different story. And it wasn't just Carlton fans wondering what the **** that was!

Again, why does he get a different set of rules?

You do not inflame or antagonise the crowd.

Unless your Adam goodes
So you're saying that people thought Goodes had lost the plot or something? You're really clutching at straws here.

Again, there's a difference between a middle finger which is universally recognised as rude, and an indingenous wardance in indigenous round.

Exactly right. Goodes and the AFL have themselves to blame for the treatment goodes gets from the crowd. No-one else. Goodes has dished it out but obviously doesn't have the mental strength to cop it when he acts like the villain.

If he really is suffering mental issues then he needs to withdraw from the spotlight altogether for his wellbeing

What did he dish out in the game on Sunday that deserved the booing, then?

Fair enough he got booed after that war dance against the Carlton supporters (I'd be more surprised if they didn't react). But did he incite any of the crowd at Subi?

Yes, you can question how he singled out that girl in the Collingwood game last year. Does that justify him 'copping it' as the 'villain' on Sunday?

Can I come to your work and boo you with a few mates? Have one of them call you an ape? When you complain, come back with even more mates and boo you some more? Have more mates tell you to go back to the zoo?

Were not all racists. Just a few of us are. Im not one. Im just booing you because I dont like you.

Sound fair?

Call me an ape? Personally I am ok but I can imagine others taking offense.
Boo me at work with Goodes' salary? Where do I sign up? I'll happily be disliked for 500k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To you, clearly.

If you don't like his statements about the state-of-Australia from an Aboriginal perspective, that's surely okay.

What is with the massive, unprecedented booing though? That none of the players want. That Goodes family doesn't want. That Jetta and family don't want. That the AFLPA, guided by players, don't want.

What is persisting with it actually for?

Yep, to me. I watch sport for sport. Not interested in whatever Goodes is bleating about, not interested in having Johnny Howard guest commentating on the cricket, the works.

As for the booing, no idea. Hadn't particularly noticed it or given it much thought until the AFL and Swans CEO decided to police the crowds. I suggest electric fences and cattle prods.

Sorry champ, don't see him as Saint Goodesy like the rest of you. He has plenty of dirt on his CV.
I don't see him as a saint.

I don't even especially like the way he's played the game onfield over the past years.

There is also a huge disconnect between that and calling out racism where it blatantly exists.

If a white person spoke about Aboriginal people the way Adam Goodes spoke about white people, this story wouldn't even make page 10 in the paper.
please point me to some examples of his anti white statements?

Just listened to the AOTY speech again. Goodes might be doing great work in the aboriginal community, but calling Australia Day as Invasion Day does not help the cause for reconciliation. If anything it sets it back. What a self-entitled campaigner he is.
He's not wrong, though. Australia Day is Invasion Day.

Alan Jones is Compassionate Understanding Non-judgemental Tolerant. Way to go Alan.

You would think that a gay man would empathise with persecution. But maintaining the hypocrisy is more important.

You're saying Alan Jones is gay? Legal papers on your desk Monday, buddy.

You have picked out two voices in the crowd, well done.

Ones a kid who had no idea, the other probably a drunken fool! Hardly representative of the entire footy community, oh except those refined swans fans of course
Two quotes backed up by thousands of social media comments - and let's be clear, the comments on FB, YouTube and some of the papers make Big Footy appear positively progressive.

Ask any indigenous person about the racism they have faced and you will understand why Adam has acted.

When Goodes in his acceptance speech for AOTY called Australia Day ' INVASION DAY ' does that make Goodes racist towards non-indigenous Australia or does racism only work one way.
No, it makes him aware of Australia's history.

Just querying what separates Goodes from a Thomas or Lumumba case? Both players belong to racial minorities and both have been polarising in quite different ways - Thomas has often been labelled (and perhaps rightly so?) as a dirty player and Lumumba has done some relatively polarizing things outside of the footballing community (in a similar vein to Goodes' behaviour, socially outspoken and racially progressive) - yet both have, despite their skin colour - escaped the same vicious and sustained 'booing' campaigns that Goodes has faced in recent months. If the footballing community is racist, wouldn't both Thomas and Lumumba have received the same, sustained treatment under a similar pretence - that they aren't being racially abused but are being booed for their 'dirty tactics' or 'campaigner attitude'. I'm not so much trying to defend the people who boo as I am trying to ask an honest question because its the one thing I can't quite reconcile in this debate (its really the only thing that is holding me back from firmly labelling the boos as racist). If someone could provide a legitimate answer I would be very appreciative!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back