Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Utopia' has shown me how, over 225 years, the Europeans, and now the governments that run our country, have raped, killed and stolen from my people for their own benefit. The total injustices that have been played out since colonisation are absolutely shameful, and I now find it hard to say I am proud to be Australian.

https://www.facebook.com/pilgerwebsite/posts/583288381740635

Very poor choice for Australian of the Year if that's his opinion on Australia.

Why? Because he doesn't conform and isn't afraid to speak up about the past? Stands up for the rights of the oppressed? You'd rather he act more...well, nice, I guess.

'Utopia' has shown me how, over 225 years, the Europeans, and now the governments that run our country, have raped, killed and stolen from my people for their own benefit. The total injustices that have been played out since colonisation are absolutely shameful, and I now find it hard to say I am proud to be Australian.

Inflammatory, certainly, but also spot on. Blainey and company condemn the 'black armband' view of history and perhaps they have a point that we might've romanticised the indigenous population as 'noble savages' when in reality there was plenty of intertribal warfare and conflict.

However, none of that dispels what Adam Goodes said in that quote - which is entirely accurate.

Lived here 32 years and you're the first person outside of CR, let alone in Australia, I've seen draw a distinction between Bohemia and Moravia.
Different Kingdoms in their day. And to be honest, I have no known relatives in Bohemia, only Moravia or the unfortunates who moved to Slovakia. ;)

It's not an opinion. It is history. It's not something to he hushed up and silenced with booing.

Okay LADS NIC NAT AGAIN.

For those of you I suggest you read my earlier post to see my heritage background race etc etc.....

okay !!

I have been in Australia for most of my life and my ethnicity is clearly visible. I have rarely copped racism. I will occasional cop the odd abuse from some red neck bogan but in fine with that their are racists in every country!!!!

Now other than that I am usually accepted by most Aussie Aussie Aussies (oi oi oi) and from what I believe most other ethnics growing up in 21st century/90s would agree on.

Now of all of a sudden a crowd of 30,000+ are booing one player and all those 30,000 are all booing for the same reason which happens to be racially motivated ????

I mean I've probably encountered maybe 10 racist people face I face in my life here... Probably seen about 100 racial comments on Australian Facebook pages etc but all of a sudden 30000 people gather in the same stadium and all racially abuse someone ??????

Hmmmm interesting.... Hmmm

Okay maybe a few who are booing are racially directing It however that's life !!!!! A few today was thousands 200 years ago so were going somewhere!!!

the other 29,990 in that stadium I don't think we're booing due to racism. But maybe I'm wrong I mean if Australia of the year said they ALL the boos are racially motivated than I guess they are................

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And where do you think they learned it from?
As i said nobody i know of finds it offensive. Who cares where they learnt it from. I see lots of my mates teaching it to their kids and having a laugh about it. Hardly offensive

Well he won't be playing this weekend. He might not be too far away from calling it quits altogether. The very not racist anti-Goodes mob will be able to pat themselves on the back and sleep well at night knowing they have been successful in their brave fight, ridding the game of what is apparently the worst person in AFL history.
Small sacrifice to make considering how good this and "the racism stops with me" episode will look on his CV.

Well I can because there is no proof of its existence.
The only 'evidence' we have so far is that certain people have decided in their own heads that there is no other possibility other than that the booing is racially motivated. They (you included) are unable to come up with any other reason which meets their threshold for booing and therefore conclude it must be due to racial motivations. This conclusion is then projected onto the hypothetical booer - easy to do when you don't know them and cannot pinpoint it to a person, rather than a caricature.
It's an irony of racism that because Goodes is black there must be some element of racism to every single reaction to anything he says or does. Treating someone differently because of their race? I think there's a word for that...

The booing is (to some extent, and to a percentage of those booing) racially motivated. This is accepted.

Even you accept this above.

I'm not saying everyone that does it is a racist. Many are just sheep getting in on it.

Let's accept that point and move on.

There's nothing wrong with that statement though.

I'm as white as white, but I had an aboriginal partner for 9 years and have learnt of the murder, mistreatment and abuse of Aboriginal people, both through words and with my own eyes, and when I stop and think about all of these things I'm not too proud to be Australian either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? Because he doesn't conform and isn't afraid to speak up about the past? Stands up for the rights of the oppressed? You'd rather he act more...well, nice, I guess.

* me, it's alarming how many people just don't get this. I agree 100% with Adam Goodes that our education system has areas for improvement.

There is a big difference between acknowledging parts of Australian history that as a nation we should not be proud of and distilling the entire modern history of Australia as 225 years of European rape, theft and murder.

All 225+ years of it, apparently. Nothing has changed from 1788.
Is D-Day not D-Day anymore because a period of time has passed?

https://twitter.com/LukeMcAlister

scroll down and read the full transcript. cheers skippos

There's nothing wrong with that statement though.

I'm as white as white, but I had an aboriginal partner for 9 years and have learnt of the murder, mistreatment and abuse of Aboriginal people, both through words and with my own eyes, and when I stop and think about all of these things I'm not too proud to be Australian either.

This is like saying all Germans should be ashamed of being German because of the genocide of the 30s and 40s. Find it hard to see why I should feel ashamed for something I played no part in and frankly never would have. I think our part is in ensuring things like these don't continue to happen, not to be forever regretful and apologetic for the past but to ensure the world is a better place in future for all walks of life, races, religions and sexualities.

By the way I'm more inclined to boo big bad Adam more now ...!!

I mean The booing seemed to have caused massive media attention which is now all over our television/newspapers/websites.

Now we don't have to be informed of the not so serious problems in life such as war, the increase in unemployment/poverty and can be well updated on the most important news of the 21sy century!! The harmless booing of a sports Athlete!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious as to why the AFL and the "AFL community" didn't jump up and down as much when it came to Jobe Watson copping massive boos?
It wasn't the hip thing to do.

Inflammatory, certainly, but also spot on. Blainey and company condemn the 'black armband' view of history and perhaps they have a point that we might've romanticised the indigenous population as 'noble savages' when in reality there was plenty of intertribal warfare and conflict.

However, none of that dispels what Adam Goodes said in that quote - which is entirely accurate.

Yes it's inflammatory - and so it should be! These are real & on-going issues, and pussy-footing around them achieves exactly zero change.
I'm stoked that he's got the profile (and the balls) to speak out and draw attention to this stuff.
We're a pretty cowardly, herd-like people in a lot of ways, and if this stuff makes people uncomfortable then they need to have a long hard look at their beliefs and how we confront racism as a society, not shoot the messenger. (Not having a go at you btw, agree with your point).

This is like saying all Germans should be ashamed of being German because of the genocide of the 30s and 40s. Find it hard to see why I should feel ashamed for something I played no part in and frankly never would have. I think our part is in ensuring things like these don't continue to happen, not to be forever regretful and apologetic for the past but to ensure the world is a better place in future for all walks of life, races, religions and sexualities.
I think you will find that Germany is ashamed of what happened in their past but they have been very proactive in understanding their past, righting the wrongs and implementing laws to ensure it never happens again.

I am not saying Goodes' Mum is or isn't part of the stolen generation - to be honest I had no interest either way. Any more than I'd expect them to be interested in the struggles of my own family tree.

My first response to you was "let's not go there" when YOU introduced the 'stolen generation' dimension - as if this wasn't already a messy enough thread. Glib reference to that two word term was irrelevant to any of the incidents involving Goodes on the field. To my knowledge no-one has taunted Goodes about it or his mother. So why even bring them up? If you beat that drum, don't be surprised if others point out that the 'stolen generation' issue is far more complex than is usually portrayed.

Theres a good who do you think you are on sbs but not currently in on demand. Worth a look though

People are tired of being called racist, misogynists, homophobes, bigots, simply because they don't like/disagree with somebody/something.

You don't agree with Barrack Obama? you must be a racist.
You don't agree with Julia Gillard? You must be a misogynist.
You don't like Caitlan Jenner? you must be a homophobe.

This is the toxic PC environment we live in where free speech is shut down to protect the PC narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back