Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
you will be branded a racist, somehow apparently a bogot and just for giggles a moron.

you will probably be shamed on national tv, removed from the ground and then perhaps arrested.
If stupidity ever becoe a crime mate
See this is where you SJW's lose rational thinking, you get so caught up in the emotion of fighting a cause that doesn't affect you personally.

Obviously you hold strong views though

You do realise that by saying :" that west coast prick", you label the entire fan base

The guy who said Goodes should return to the zoo, honestly believes he has done no wrong, he believes it is banter. Now most educated people know it is a racist comment.

How is he going to admit he was being racist when he doesn't even realise it.
Or maybe he is a moral coward as well as being a racist. And is too gutless to admit his bigotry. A lot of it going on around here.

I disagree. Going to the footy with 1000s of other fans is not a mob mentality. Or aligning yourself with a team / being part of a club is not a mob mentality. It's not a collective noun for a group of fans.

Mob menatlity or 'being part of a 'mob' is when your actions and behaviours are influenced by the mob/your peers and rational reasoning etc is jettisoned. Like I posit with the Goodes booing.

So while you find it a 'useless characetrisation lacking in descriptive power', I find it a rather accurate sociological descriptor that explains, in part what's happening.

Ok. I'll cede to you here. I'll take it that I could further my understanding.

So, a penny for your simplified thoughts. Crowd zip it, or goodsey take a cup of concrete?

though there are a few I would boo in my teams jumper. Was hell bent on booing Cousins if he had come to my club. Would have booed Hall if he ever had returned.
Mate it all changes once they run around in your jumper, I used to freaking hate Burgoyne as Port regularly tear us a new one.

I also realize I can't publicly talk s**t on my most hated player of the past 10 years anymore without the brainwashed left or uneducated simpletons thinking im racist.

This has been the most unenjoyable week of football tbh

I wasn't even this disappointed after last year's final. Beatings on the ground happens. There's a winner and a loser.

There's no winners here. Nobody wins when a dual brownlow, dual premiership star of the game gets boo'd (probably) into retirement, regardless of why.

Saw this post from a North fan on the Swans board. I didn't want to reply to North fan on the Sydney board and receive abuse, nor be construed as trolling and receive a ban from the Swans mods, so I post it here in the mega thread.

Mods, please delete if technically this against the rules to and you have an issue with me doing so.

He said he did not know she was that young and then he said he would not have been so forceful about it if he did know. What more does that bastard have to do!!!
When did Goodes say that?

This is a direct quote from his press conference the morning after in the MCG carpark:
It's not the first time on the footy field I've been referred to as a monkey or an ape. It was shattering. I turned around. I saw a young girl. I thought she was fourteen. That was my initial thought. I was just like… Really?
That initial quote from Goodes appears at odds with your memory of it.
He thought she was a minor aged 14. It turned she was a minor aged 13.

I heard a woman on talk back yesterday say she "did not know calling an aboriginal person an ape was offensive"
There were plenty of people here on Big Footy (and on talkback radio) who didn't know the word "ape" had an historical racist connotation. That became pretty clear in the aftermath. Maybe it's a cultural thing here in Australia - a racist epithet that went out of vogue years ago.

I only learned that "ape" was a word used by racists when I was in my late teens and I started hearing about African soccer players copping it from fans in the European leagues. I heard plenty of derogatory words about aboriginals when I was growing up, but "ape" was never one of them. When I was young, calling someone an ape usually meant they were big and stupid.

More importantly, the 13yo Collingwood fan who called him an ape didn't understand the racial sensitivity of her actions. She was just a kid using a schoolyard taunt towards an opposition player. She apologised to Goodes afterwards for hurting his feelings and she explained she never meant anything racist by it.

Last edited:
I've not read the other 263 pages of this thread.

A person who won’t read has no advantage over one who can’t read.

giphy.gif

I'd agree with the Australian of the Year suggestion, even though, as I think is quickly apparent when people actually look at some of the names that have won it in the past that he's not exactly out of his depth. I will say though, I think by about the third page of the thread on the night of the Collingwood v Sydney game, it had been pretty well established what had been said.
I reckon the AOTY was about bad timing. Goodes is very far from the worse recipient of that award. If awarded it after his retirement in a different year the reaction would have probably been very different.

The perception that many had was if the 13 year old girl never calls him what she did and he never points her out and gives the speech the next day, does he get the AOTY several months later?

The majority would say no. This means that his other good work can be overlooked when people think of him and that award.

Looking back on the finger pointing night alot of adults failed that child. I do not blame Goodes for pointing her out. It was apparent she was underage. TV producers should not have had the cameras on her as she was removed. She should never have been subjected to an interview without an adult present. It was an unfortunate situation for all.

Mate it all changes once they run around in your jumper, I used to freaking hate Burgoyne as Port regularly tear us a new one.

I always used to yell out, Run Ben run the cops are coming. I thought he was ok, then he started all that crap and turned into a dickhead. Still reckon there are some you would not like at your club, not sure you could cheer Stevie J or Ballantyne or Crowley if they turned up in brown and gold?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Racist Australians don't feel threatened by Lumumba.
Idk, that's a good point, but I find it difficult to believe that ignorant, racist, footy-loving Australian's pick-and-choose who they racially abuse (by way of booing, mind you) solely on the basis of the threat they pose, and the ability they possess to subvert, the white colonial narrative. We aren't talking about culturally intellectual neo-facists who want to tacitly maintain the status-quo here, we're talking about dumb, footballing crowds. The notion that the footballing community collectively looked at Lumumba and decided "no, he doesn't pose a risk to the cultural norm, we won't boo him (of all things)" and then turned to Goodes and thought the opposite, seems absurd. Such a collectivisation would have to require an intellectual backing and institutionalisation of footballing racism that I'm not too sure the crowd who is booing Goodes necessarily possess. I'm inclined to argue that if abuse of Goodes was solely racially motivated then Lumumba's activism and Thomas' anti-sociable football would have also drawn the same vehement ire of a footy public that surely only represents the barbaric polities of a conventional and ignorant manifestation of racism - i.e. any minority who steps out of line (irritates them etc.) will be abused until they learn their place again. This just simply hasn't happened has it? The booing of Goodes is far more complicated than it initially presents (that's likely why Bigfooty seems so far off coming to a consensus concerning its genesis). Whilst it seems like I'm sitting on the fence here, I think a cauldron of near-all the factors mentioned in the poll have contributed to the booing of Goodes - its unique, that's likely why we haven't quite witnessed such a sustained attack on any one single player like this for quite some time. One thing I don't disagree with is that there are racist elements to this issue, whilst some of those who are booing may not be motivated by any racial undertones, others certainly and disgustingly are. That's probably why this will be a particularly difficult issue to resolve peacefully, because the motivation for the booing is relatively multi-plural - some feel aggrieved and are genuine when they say they aren't booing Goodes because of the colour of his skin, and others simply don't care that they are racially abusing him because to them he's getting what he deserves.

Regardless, the Goodes issue is intriguing. If I could ask him one question, I would query what his motivations are when he does/says some of the things he does. I wonder whether he hopes to unite the entirety of the Australian public or merely expose and attack those he deems to be racist and offensive to the Indigenous narrative? He's definitely doing one of those better than he is doing the other...

P.S. It's interesting that the same people in this thread (not you, btw) who bemoan the booing of Goodes - a booing that has supposedly arisen thanks to his activism etc. - are quick to illegitimate Lumumba's attempts to do the same (labelling his actions as 'ignorant', 'stupid' etc.).

I reckon the AOTY was about bad timing. Goodes is very far from the worse recipient of that award. If awarded it after his retirement in a different year the reaction would have probably been very different.

The perception that many had was if the 13 year old girl never calls him what she did and he never points her out and gives the speech the next day, does he get the AOTY several months later?

The majority would say no. This means that his other good work can be overlooked when people think of him and that award.

Looking back on the finger pointing night alot of adults failed that child. I do not blame Goodes for pointing her out. It was apparent she was underage. TV producers should not have had the cameras on her as she was removed. She should never have been subjected to an interview without an adult present. It was an unfortunate situation for all.

Agree with everything you've written.

I always used to yell out, Run Ben run the cops are coming. I thought he was ok, then he started all that crap and turned into a dickhead. Still reckon there are some you would not like at your club, not sure you could cheer Stevie J or Ballantyne or Crowley if they turned up in brown and gold?
Actually wouldn't mind Crowley before drugs.

You are challenging my beliefs the moderator fraternity are merely hive-mind SJW drones.

Shows I can have some of my strongest beliefs challenged and change my view when evidence and logic presents a case.

You might just be reaffirming my belief that sarcasm can be hard to detect on forums sometimes.

When did Goodes say that?

This is a direct quote from his press conference the morning after in the MCG carpark:
That initial quote from Goodes appears at odds with your memory of it.
He thought she was a minor aged 14. It turned she was a minor aged 13.

There were plenty of people here on Big Footy (and on talkback radio) who didn't know the word "ape" had an historical racist connotation. That became pretty clear in the aftermath. Maybe it's a cultural thing here in Australia - a racist epithet that went out of vogue years ago. I reckon I only learned about it's racial edge when I was in my late teens and I started hearing about African soccer players copping it from fans in the European leagues.

I heard plenty of derogatory words about aboriginals when I was growing up, but "ape" was never one of them. More importantly, the 13yo Collingwood fan who called him an ape didn't understand the racial sensitivity of her actions. She was just a kid using a schoolyard taunt towards an opposition player. She apologised to Goodes afterwards and explained she never meant anything racist by it.
Its 2015.
If people don't understand that calling an indigenous man an ape is offensive, then that is exactly why Goodes needs to draw attention to this issue.
Pretty generous to attribute it to a ' schoolyard taunt'.

I reckon the AOTY was about bad timing. Goodes is very far from the worse recipient of that award.

Can you imagine the uproar if Goodes didn't accept the AOTY award on the grounds of the ongoing mistreatment of indigenous people? Wow now that would have created a lot more heated debate than a cultural dance during indigenous round. It's not like the dude had a choice in the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back