Not open for further replies.

MrTripleC

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
For me, it is the fans.

In some ways I don’t even know why I am writing this blog piece. In respect I am sure it is something that I will look back in time and regret writing. I am sure it will be ridiculed, and I am sure that critics can find proof that my piece is hypocritical.

But right now. As of July 29 2015, to me, it feels like it means something. It feels like the most important piece of writing I will ever write. It feels like if I was ever to say I want one piece to reach the bowels of the AFL, it would be this one.

Some years I have written for 225 days of a season, long time BF users will remember those threads and my passion. Yet today in 2015 and for the forseeable future this is all I will be writing. That passion is gone.

This is not a story about Adam Goodes and booing. This is a story about quitting. About what it took to make me realise I had quit on the AFL.

It was the fans that made me quit.

You all know the Adam Goodes backstory. The ridicule that he has been subjected to. The bullying he has been subjected to. The vilification he has been subjected too. That is what this booing really is. Ridicule, bullying and vilification. There has been a lot of grey portrayed on this subject, but it should be black and white. Perception is reality, and Goodes perception should be footy fans reality. It is not, because footy fans are weak.

No man or woman deserves what Goodes has been subjected too. No man or woman deserves ridicule, bullying or vilification.

As of today Goodes has quit the AFL. And it is justified. Will Goodes come back? Perhaps. Maybe his story has more to be told in coming back. Maybe the Goodes legacy will be told on the field, over his response to this brutal period in his life. But as of today as much as we are different, Goodes an aboriginal man, myself a Caucasian, we are the same. I like Adam Goodes has quit the AFL.

You don’t know my story and my story is likely never going to be reported in AFL media circles, but it is a significant one. My story is the second tier of the Goodes booing. It is the second tier of Goodes decision. It is the real reflection of what fans vitriol can do. It is a tier that if more people follow through, truly threatens the AFL.

It could be the legacy of Goodes.

It is the legacy and story of despicable AFL crowds.

I have been a passionate supporter of the game since five years of age. I am now 30. For 25 years I have idolised the West Coast Eagles Football Club and have idolised the AFL. Anyone who knows me will tell you of a passion and love for the game that is unsurpassed by people they know. I was a footy tragic, a footy loyalist and someone that always thought I would live and breathe AFL football to the day I died.

Being from Perth I have been a part of parochial crowds. I had been to both Fremantle and West Coast games and when I was younger, when I did not know any better, I too was part of the problem. I remember to this day being a part of a WACA crowd that booed Dermott Brereton when ironically enough he was wearing a Sydney jumper. I would have been about 9, and the only reason I was booing was because I was copying those older than me. I saw them as leaders, and I was following. It felt really cool to boo. It felt like I was a part of something. I was part of something, I just did not know at my naïve age, what that something was. It was abuse, vilification and ridicule. Things that should have no place in any society.

I remember going home that evening and having my Pop chastise me for being part of the crowd of booing. I remember trying to defend myself. I remember my Pop reiterating right and wrong. 25 years later, I know how right he was. I know how wrong I was. I was lucky to have a strong leader in my life.

I have never booed a player, umpire or fan since. Sadly most footy fans don’t see the right and wrong and are influenced by the weak. They don’t have strong leaders to demand of them what is right and wrong

To cut to the chase of my disengagement with the AFL and show how my story was one who booed to one who walked away because of the boos, the first flash point came in round 1, 2014. Having been lucky enough to welcome a son into the world in 2012, like all Dads I think my hopes always were there that I had bred the next Haydn Bunton, Ian Stewartt, Leigh Matthew or Chris Judd.

Yet, on the opening night of the 2014 AFL season doubts in my mind came about whether I wanted my son involved in the AFL. During the Fremantle and Collingwood match at Etihad Stadium, from heading into the ground until half time, all that I saw was despicable behaviour.

Swearing, taunting, bullying, fighting, ridicule, aggression, vilification, slurs, you name it, this game had it. I left at half time internally in shock, wondering what had happened to the game I loved. I am now proud to say I left at half time of that match because I was walking out on something that should have been walked out on.

During the course of that 2014 season I went to other matches in Perth and Brisbane and saw the exact same behaviour. Regardless of the crowd, regardless of the people. It seemed accepted that crowds could perform despicably.

I have been to WAFL games since, I have been to amateur games since, and the vitriol has followed through down the ranks is like a plague. The swearing is audible at any game of Australian Rules football, the derogatory body language is visible at any game of Australian Rules football and the general sense of negativity and aggression is felt at any game of footy.

Over the past 18 months though, I have learned that the game had not changed. I have changed. I am a family man that has different priorities and different expectations of the world I lived and the world I wanted for my kids. In reality I lived in the AFL world as a wolf in sheep’s clothing not realising just how despicable the accepted behaviour of AFL and footy fans was.

That is the root of the Goodes booing saga. This is simply disgusting behaviour by people who don’t know any better, don’t expect any better and will never really challenge themselves to be better. They expect that crowds are allowed to carry on in this manner because football fans have been taught to slur, to accuse, to abuse, to vilify for the past fifty years and beyond.

Because of Goodes, fans are being challenged to be better, and they are failing dismally. They probably always will fail, because that now is the culture of AFL football, to abuse and then defend reprehensible behaviour.

As my son grows, he as his own boy and own man will make choices for himself on what sports he wants to pursue. I will support him in whatever endeavours he chooses, but I will not encourage Australian Rules to him. I will not take him to an Aussie Rules game if the current state of fan behaviour holds firm.

It is why the AFL and Aussies Rules is going to lose to other sports. We who love our children expect better for our children, and nothing suggests that AFL fans are ready to be better.

I am not here to persuade people into my opinion or to push a certain perspective on people. If there is one thing that backs up the at ground behaviour of footy fans, it has been the stubbornness to accept differing perspectives on the Goodes topic. Every football fan has their view and considers their view to be right. It is but more proof of the backward nature of footy fans. In a world that is more social that is more connected and is trying to be more together, there is nothing positive or together about fans of the AFL.

As an industry the AFL though has shown real togetherness. Every person who works in the industry, whether it be players, officials or administrators has tried to back Goodes. They know Goodes the person and are trying to be real people supporting real people. Every negative or defensive comment in relation to this saga has come from someone removed from the inner sanctum of AFL clubs. People who don’t know any better. People who think it is acceptable to boo. People who think because it has always been that way, gives them the entitlement.

The negativity comes from people who are weak. Because footy fans are weak.

I refuse to be weak.

It is the reason I support Adam Goodes.

It is why I have quit the AFL.

I put it on you, what would make you quit the AFL?

Short of someone being killed on the field by another player nothing would even make me consider quitting. Footy is bigger then one man, then 1000 idiots, footy is the national game and forever and a day the best have been cut down, some by injury, some by crowds. If you can't deal with the crowds then stay home and watch it on tv with the kids, pretty sure 7 and Fox don't amplify the voices of the crowd, though on the downside you will have to listen to inane comments by grown men who should know better then to get sexually excited by men in tight shorts :D

Thanks fellas, to Iso, FG, Liatom and Milux.. thanks for proving the first few posts of a BF board are always the best.

NathanMX,
So your boundary is death.

Can I ask why that would be the driver for you to quit? Clearly an unlikely scenario, but in a hypothetical world, why does that make you quit?

Thanks fellas, to Iso, FG, Liatom and Milux.. thanks for proving the first few posts of a BF board are always the best.

NathanMX,
So your boundary is death.

Can I ask why that would be the driver for you to quit? Clearly an unlikely scenario, but in a hypothetical world, why does that make you quit?

Cause having seen death up close before in road accidents is bad enough, although I am pretty desensitized seeing another player kill someone else would still shake me and be a memory I could never forget, be it a favourite player or otherwise.

Still, pretty much saying I am a fan for life. I watch basketball, league sometimes, cricket now and then but nothing keeps me more entertained the our great game. We have the best athletes in the world, well at least better then NRL, check out Sam Kasiano and George Rose :p

Vast,
Understand why you see it as a soapbox vent, as I said at the start, I expect riddicule back. But hey, come on. The thread title asks why you would quit, the first line tells you why I have, the last line asks why you would.

So I ask you straightt up Vast, why would you quit?

BaileyCooper,
Clever, but I aask you straight up, why would you quit as a fan of AFL?

NMX,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciate the thought you put into your response.

JB,
Go back to 2010, 2012... that is why I will always have a BF account. The work and efffort I put into those seasons means I always willl have a BF account. Rest assured, following tonight, my presence on these boards is gone. I am a man of my word and stand by my convictions.

Keilor,
May I ask how many douches you believe there are in the AFL? And if more than Goodes, why are they not booed each week, by every fan base? I will call it out, you are part of the problem of AFL fans.

Nbaman,
So would the general play of one season be enough to make you quit? Or would it take sustained seasons of boring? Does Carlton's predicament have anything to do with your opinions?

TheExtractorFactor,
Mate, I am out. I've quit. No coming back to it in the short term, no level of WC success will get me back into AFL football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vast,
Understand why you see it as a soapbox vent, as I said at the start, I expect riddicule back. But hey, come on. The thread title asks why you would quit, the first line tells you why I have, the last line asks why you would.

So I ask you straightt up Vast, why would you quit?

BaileyCooper,
Clever, but I aask you straight up, why would you quit as a fan of AFL?

NMX,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciate the thought you put into your response.

JB,
Go back to 2010, 2012... that is why I will always have a BF account. The work and efffort I put into those seasons means I always willl have a BF account. Rest assured, following tonight, my presence on these boards is gone. I am a man of my word and stand by my convictions.

Keilor,
May I ask how many douches you believe there are in the AFL? And if more than Goodes, why are they not booed each week, by every fan base? I will call it out, you are part of the problem of AFL fans.

Goodes, Mitch Robinson, Lindsay Thomas, Steven Johnson to name a few. Milne was king douche for awhile there.

They don't get booed because they haven't made everything about them consistently like our mate Goodesy.

Don't judge me so quickly I have plenty of Aboriginal mates I'm far from racist.

Congratulations. Didn't take long for someone to blame Carlton.

Nbaman,
So would the general play of one season be enough to make you quit? Or would it take sustained seasons of boring? Does Carlton's predicament have anything to do with your opinions?
Not one season, but the game has gradually been getting worse and worse I think. The rule changes regarding contact and the way the game is played now just make so many games horrible to watch.

Not at all. I've always heavily been into watching other games, and this season I've found myself less and less interested. I really enjoyed watching Port Adelaide last year with their fast style of play. Reminds me more of the footy I witnessed when I was little and the stuff I go back and watch from the 90s now.

For me, it is the fans.

In some ways I don’t even know why I am writing this blog piece. In respect I am sure it is something that I will look back in time and regret writing. I am sure it will be ridiculed, and I am sure that critics can find proof that my piece is hypocritical.

But right now. As of July 29 2015, to me, it feels like it means something. It feels like the most important piece of writing I will ever write. It feels like if I was ever to say I want one piece to reach the bowels of the AFL, it would be this one.

Some years I have written for 225 days of a season, long time BF users will remember those threads and my passion. Yet today in 2015 and for the forseeable future this is all I will be writing. That passion is gone.

This is not a story about Adam Goodes and booing. This is a story about quitting. About what it took to make me realise I had quit on the AFL.

It was the fans that made me quit.

You all know the Adam Goodes backstory. The ridicule that he has been subjected to. The bullying he has been subjected to. The vilification he has been subjected too. That is what this booing really is. Ridicule, bullying and vilification. There has been a lot of grey portrayed on this subject, but it should be black and white. Perception is reality, and Goodes perception should be footy fans reality. It is not, because footy fans are weak.

No man or woman deserves what Goodes has been subjected too. No man or woman deserves ridicule, bullying or vilification.

As of today Goodes has quit the AFL. And it is justified. Will Goodes come back? Perhaps. Maybe his story has more to be told in coming back. Maybe the Goodes legacy will be told on the field, over his response to this brutal period in his life. But as of today as much as we are different, Goodes an aboriginal man, myself a Caucasian, we are the same. I like Adam Goodes has quit the AFL.

You don’t know my story and my story is likely never going to be reported in AFL media circles, but it is a significant one. My story is the second tier of the Goodes booing. It is the second tier of Goodes decision. It is the real reflection of what fans vitriol can do. It is a tier that if more people follow through, truly threatens the AFL.

It could be the legacy of Goodes.

It is the legacy and story of despicable AFL crowds.

I have been a passionate supporter of the game since five years of age. I am now 30. For 25 years I have idolised the West Coast Eagles Football Club and have idolised the AFL. Anyone who knows me will tell you of a passion and love for the game that is unsurpassed by people they know. I was a footy tragic, a footy loyalist and someone that always thought I would live and breathe AFL football to the day I died.

Being from Perth I have been a part of parochial crowds. I had been to both Fremantle and West Coast games and when I was younger, when I did not know any better, I too was part of the problem. I remember to this day being a part of a WACA crowd that booed Dermott Brereton when ironically enough he was wearing a Sydney jumper. I would have been about 9, and the only reason I was booing was because I was copying those older than me. I saw them as leaders, and I was following. It felt really cool to boo. It felt like I was a part of something. I was part of something, I just did not know at my naïve age, what that something was. It was abuse, vilification and ridicule. Things that should have no place in any society.

I remember going home that evening and having my Pop chastise me for being part of the crowd of booing. I remember trying to defend myself. I remember my Pop reiterating right and wrong. 25 years later, I know how right he was. I know how wrong I was. I was lucky to have a strong leader in my life.

I have never booed a player, umpire or fan since. Sadly most footy fans don’t see the right and wrong and are influenced by the weak. They don’t have strong leaders to demand of them what is right and wrong

To cut to the chase of my disengagement with the AFL and show how my story was one who booed to one who walked away because of the boos, the first flash point came in round 1, 2014. Having been lucky enough to welcome a son into the world in 2012, like all Dads I think my hopes always were there that I had bred the next Haydn Bunton, Ian Stewartt, Leigh Matthew or Chris Judd.

Yet, on the opening night of the 2014 AFL season doubts in my mind came about whether I wanted my son involved in the AFL. During the Fremantle and Collingwood match at Etihad Stadium, from heading into the ground until half time, all that I saw was despicable behaviour.

Swearing, taunting, bullying, fighting, ridicule, aggression, vilification, slurs, you name it, this game had it. I left at half time internally in shock, wondering what had happened to the game I loved. I am now proud to say I left at half time of that match because I was walking out on something that should have been walked out on.

During the course of that 2014 season I went to other matches in Perth and Brisbane and saw the exact same behaviour. Regardless of the crowd, regardless of the people. It seemed accepted that crowds could perform despicably.

I have been to WAFL games since, I have been to amateur games since, and the vitriol has followed through down the ranks is like a plague. The swearing is audible at any game of Australian Rules football, the derogatory body language is visible at any game of Australian Rules football and the general sense of negativity and aggression is felt at any game of footy.

Over the past 18 months though, I have learned that the game had not changed. I have changed. I am a family man that has different priorities and different expectations of the world I lived and the world I wanted for my kids. In reality I lived in the AFL world as a wolf in sheep’s clothing not realising just how despicable the accepted behaviour of AFL and footy fans was.

That is the root of the Goodes booing saga. This is simply disgusting behaviour by people who don’t know any better, don’t expect any better and will never really challenge themselves to be better. They expect that crowds are allowed to carry on in this manner because football fans have been taught to slur, to accuse, to abuse, to vilify for the past fifty years and beyond.

Because of Goodes, fans are being challenged to be better, and they are failing dismally. They probably always will fail, because that now is the culture of AFL football, to abuse and then defend reprehensible behaviour.

As my son grows, he as his own boy and own man will make choices for himself on what sports he wants to pursue. I will support him in whatever endeavours he chooses, but I will not encourage Australian Rules to him. I will not take him to an Aussie Rules game if the current state of fan behaviour holds firm.

It is why the AFL and Aussies Rules is going to lose to other sports. We who love our children expect better for our children, and nothing suggests that AFL fans are ready to be better.

I am not here to persuade people into my opinion or to push a certain perspective on people. If there is one thing that backs up the at ground behaviour of footy fans, it has been the stubbornness to accept differing perspectives on the Goodes topic. Every football fan has their view and considers their view to be right. It is but more proof of the backward nature of footy fans. In a world that is more social that is more connected and is trying to be more together, there is nothing positive or together about fans of the AFL.

As an industry the AFL though has shown real togetherness. Every person who works in the industry, whether it be players, officials or administrators has tried to back Goodes. They know Goodes the person and are trying to be real people supporting real people. Every negative or defensive comment in relation to this saga has come from someone removed from the inner sanctum of AFL clubs. People who don’t know any better. People who think it is acceptable to boo. People who think because it has always been that way, gives them the entitlement.

The negativity comes from people who are weak. Because footy fans are weak.

I refuse to be weak.

It is the reason I support Adam Goodes.

It is why I have quit the AFL.

I put it on you, what would make you quit the AFL?
Stereotyping all footy fans as weak isn't very nice. It's similar to what racism is, judging based one characteristic rather than the actual person.

... So why are you posting on an AFL forum?

TheExtractorFactor,
Mate, I am out. I've quit. No coming back to it in the short term, no level of WC success will get me back into AFL football.

Alright, let me pose a hypothetical situation to you. You stop watching matches for the rest of the home and away season, maybe even enough to last to the finals. Let's say West Coast finish top 2, win the qualifying final and prelim.

Will you tune into the grand final?

Geez mate, I get what you're saying but it's being very precious and choosing to see only the negative in sports.
You typed that as if it's just an AFL thing. Have you ever attended other sports anywhere around the world? Some can't even put opposing fans in the same section.
Overall our fans are well behaved.

Keilor,
Didn't use racism, said you were what is wrong with AFL fans. Didnt mention race throughout the piece, because I believe the problem with fans is more then racism. The agression, the behaviour is what has driven me away.

Nbaman,
Appreciate the detailed response. I think a lot of people would agree with your perspective on how the game is being played right now.

PS,
Thanks for picking up on that, I wondered if one would notice. This is one of the key undertones of what I believe has happened this week. Footy fans are quick to point the finger at others and put their hands up to defend themselves. They are trying to call what is going on the minority, but it is my belief it is thee majority and I wanted to call all football fans out as one, to make fans really take a look in the mirror. Fans are one off the current problems in the game.

Vonn,
I am out.

TEF,
Hand on heart, I am done, even if West Coast play the Hawks in the big one. I missed the 2013 GF to take my kids to the zoo, so I know I can find things to do on a GF day.

Whiskers,
I will reiterate this. If you think our fans are well behaved your delusional. Are other sports worse, probably. But why would you want to hang your hat on, 'well at least we are better then sport x'... Fans should be challenging themselves to look internally and be better. That has been the chance from this Goodes situation. Instead all of the AFL fraternity is behind him, and fans are still negative towards Goodes.

JF90,
Great work, why use racism when you can use sexism. Classy bro. To people who have bothered to actually read my thoughts, it is this type of behaaviour that highlights exactly what is wrong with AFL fans. I ask you. You want to be seen the same as JohnnyFontane90? Do you accept JohnnyFontane90?

For me, it is the fans.

Seriously? Do you live in a bubble? How do you survive day to day life if you can't hack one football match?

Godfather32,
I ask you, why in your daily life, where you get to choose what you do and how you spend your time, would you want to assoicate and be around people who swear with every second word, abuse opposition, abuse umpires, abuse their own team, fight in the crowd and show in general real hostility?

Let me guess, that's why we go to the game? For that experience.

This train wreck of a season has me waiting eagerly for the EPL and NFL to kick off again.

Cannot recall a much more boring season to be honest.

Unfortunately for me im a Patriots fan so the season hasnt even started and things are a trainwreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back