Universal Love Not Boo-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually there is no reason anyone should take your word as credible if you can't argue the facts.

Hang on a moment. You do realise that he went on with it after the game, once he realised she was 13? You realise he named and shamed a 13 year old girl nationally AFTER the game???? He did it knowingly and deliberately with full knowledge of the facts.

feenix67 has already proposed what should have happened

You've moved the goal posts. Something you seem to be doing quite a bit when you can't argue a point.

I've just gone and explained why a Rita Panahi article should be considered invalid as supporting evidence. To give you another example - it's like citing the Westboro Baptist Church's teachings as evidence of why gay marriage shouldn't be allowed. If missing bible pages were found tomorrow that explicitly stated that the gays are cool, it's highly unlikely that the Westboro church would just adopt that and drop their agenda. It defines them and gives them purpose. They're ignorant to anything that challenges their view. No matter what the events are - they are going to say the exact same thing.

That's no different to Rita. Evidence is irrelevant. Context, irrelevant. Rita will always take the controversial and socially conservative line. Even if there's not one to be taken. To be perfectly blunt - even if it was acknowledged by all, even people as cynical as you, Rita would still condemn it. As she has shown no ability to ever see both sides of a story, why should she be considered a reliable source?

~~

Your argument was just to tell me that 'nobody should take my word as credible if I can't argue the facts' - the exact same argument I'm using to discredit Rita - I'm saying she can't argue the facts, therefore her word is not credible. And if you're using that line to 'discredit me' (and you wouldn't be using it unless you believed it a valid way to discredit someone) it just doesn't make sense, as I used the line that you're using as my substantive point. In other words, how can I not be arguing the facts in your eyes when I used a line of argument you yourself saw fit to use to try and discredit me.

I'm aware that last paragraph is meta as * but if anyone can make sense of it, it highlights the extent to which you'll move the goalposts to suit your argument. Not only that, but I think it's ridiculous that you just try and 'define' what the facts are. It's both arrogant and condescending. If that's how you wish to talk, go ahead. But arrogance and derision won't gain you a thing. Your whole post is a giant straw man. As expected when there's no leg to stand on.

I'll concede - the whole thing could have gone down better. But even if I saw Goodes' conduct as questionable, I'm going to hold it against him and use it to discredit future arguments. You're expecting perfection out of humans. Emotive beings. In an emotional setting. Rarely is a situation handled perfectly, let alone one so emotionally charged. People make mistakes, people handle things poorly. Expecting perfect decision making in such a no-win situation is just setting the bar unreasonably high.

Did he name and shame her? Last I heard, her identity was protected as much as possible. To nab some quote's from Kristof 's excellent post, let's look at how Goodes shamed her and vilified her, as you claim.

'Goodes said he is not blaming the girl, saying she deserved to be supported and educated about why the racist comment was unacceptable.'

'I don't put any blame on her'

'Just received a phone call from a young girl apologizing for her actions. Lets support her please'

'I just hope that people give the 13 year old girl the same sort of support because she needs it, her family needs it, and the people around them need it.'

'I don't want people to go after this young girl.'

'It's not her fault, she's 13, she's still so innocent, I don't put any blame on her'

'I guarantee she has no idea right now how it makes people feel to call them an ape.'

I'm pretty satisfied that Goodes repeatedly tried to make this girl out to be innocent, blameless and in need of support, not shame. I'm not sure how one can look at the events of the time and not think he's trying his best to protect her, without ignoring the wider issue.

It's almost as if you expected him to just let it slide. Allow and reinforce racist comments to protect the abuser because they're a teenager. You're blaming a victim of abuse (who wanted nothing but protection for their abuser) for the way the abuser was highlighted in the press. He couldn't control how the press reacted to it all.

This girl, unintentionally, represented a wider issue. Should we just have ignored that issue to protect her?

Personally, I agree with Goodes views. I actually thought Australia had become less racist the last decade or so and that probably true - but there's still a pretty substantial lack of people processing how race influences their opinion.

I didn't agree with how he handled some of the situations he was in. At times, he could have handled things with more class.

But I'm not going to yell that opinion at him. And I'm not one saying he should expect a life sentence of screaming abuse in his workplace because of how confronting he's been.

Absolute rubbish. When has anyone booed any other indigenous player?

I can't stand Alan Jones, and I think Dermott is a tosser, but on this issue I agree with both of them. Goodes has brought this on through his words and actions. People trying to make this a race issue are incapable of independent thought.

Sigh - some just aren't going to every get it.

You're not racist because you boo every aboriginal player.

You're racist because you're booing someone because he has confronted you with uncomfortable truths about race and you don't like how he's done it. He's called out racism in "the wrong way", he's outspoken and confronting. Instead of stopping and processing, we're attacking the messenger for the message.

Invasion day comment is the most devisive term to use on Australia day. It feeds the anti white feelings alot of Aboriginals feel, and it alienates white Australians who are sick of been told by people like Adam that they should be ashamed of their heratige.
Hardly the words of a statesman.

Of course it is divisive.

Australians have traditionally celebrated a day where white people came to a country, bringing violence and genocide, disregarding 20,000 years of history and culture and stealing any rights to lands from the original inhabitants.

If you're a white guy like me - well, you don't really want to think about it. I mean, it wasn't my fault!

But if it's your race that was treated in that way, it's pretty insulting.

Let's set the record straight about one thing - it was the Herald Sun who first identified the girl by providing her name and photograph in an interview conducted with the mother's consent. Prior to that she was an anonymous figure. Maybe they were paid for the interview, maybe they wanted their picture in the paper, maybe they wanted to tell their story. It was their choice to go public so any concern about the girl's well-being due to being "named and shamed" should be directed at her mother or the Herald-Sun, not Adam Goodes.

Last edited:
Oh please. Despite the complete irrelevance of your opinion of what Goodes long term legacy will be, what people are arguing is that he's experiencing the most systematic and widespread verbal attacks ever seen by a modern Australian athlete.

He was told to "go back to the zoo" THIS WEEKEND.

And it is obviously happening because a white audience is responding to being confronted by a black mans opinions on race. He is not pandering to them and he is being provocative about our casual racism.

I genuinely don't understand how this can still be getting discussed.

Bingo. Really good post.

Salient point in the context of the current debate. Many dont like Adam and boo him. Adam doesn't like it, so chucks a war dance at them. They dont like it and boo him some more. He doesnt like it and goes away.

Here's what could have happened:

1. 13 year old girl abuses Goodes, who hears it.
2. It's nearly the end of the game, Goodes notes her location and reports it to officials
3. Officials identify girl and caution her
4. Goodes seeks out girl and educates her
5. Girl gains better awareness of racial vilification and indigenous heritage
6. Goodes embraces the girl and together they become the flag bearers for racial tolerance, educating others, including the younger generation
7. Goodes wins Aussie of the Year.
8. Girl wins Young Aussie of the Year
9. The world is a better place, and people respect Goodes for approaching the situation maturely and using it as a vehicle for progress

EVERYBODY'S A WINNER :D

Here's what has actually happened:

1. Goodes chucks a wobbly
2. Girl gets interrogated for 4 hours without parental supervision
3. Goodes goes on self indulgent crusade
4. People no like it
5. Opportunist pollies give him an Award
6. People still dont like it and express that in a democratic fashion
7. Goodes chucks a wobbly and does a war dance
8. People dont like it some more and boo him
9. Goodes chucks another wobbly
10. Opportunist journos play the racism card
11. Goodes chucks a wobbly and says Im not playing anymore

NOBODY WINS :(

Actions and consequences, Adam....

Right so it's all Goodes fault that the booing started some 17 games ago & all because some teenage girl who is out for a fun night at the footy with members of her family decided to out of thin air call that funny looking man with dark skin a bloody ape so you & others think that he should smile back give the kid a wave & carry on as usual playing footy.

Damn that Adam Goodes for causing all this crap during our precious footy season.

Love Thy Neighbor & Death do us Part are two British comedy shows from years ago maybe Adam could find some solace in watching a few episodes of dem dat when he finds some spare time.

Of course it is divisive.

Australians have traditionally celebrated a day where white people came to a country, bringing violence and genocide, disregarding 20,000 years of history and culture and stealing any rights to lands from the original inhabitants.

If you're a white guy like me - well, you don't really want to think about it. I mean, it wasn't my fault!

But if it's your race that was treated in that way, it's pretty insulting.
absolutely. But according to sanders it was just colonization. The truth is left out of history lessons.

There's been some intelligent, well written posts of late. Good reading.

Salient point in the context of the current debate. Many dont like Adam and boo him. Adam doesn't like it, so chucks a war dance at them. They dont like it and boo him some more. He doesnt like it and goes away.

Here's what could have happened:

1. 13 year old girl abuses Goodes, who hears it.
2. It's nearly the end of the game, Goodes notes her location and reports it to officials
3. Officials identify girl and caution her
4. Goodes seeks out girl and educates her
5. Girl gains better awareness of racial vilification and indigenous heritage
6. Goodes embraces the girl and together they become the flag bearers for racial tolerance, educating others, including the younger generation
7. Goodes wins Aussie of the Year.
8. Girl wins Young Aussie of the Year
9. The world is a better place, and people respect Goodes for approaching the situation maturely and using it as a vehicle for progress

EVERYBODY'S A WINNER :D

Here's what has actually happened:

1. Goodes chucks a wobbly
2. Girl gets interrogated for 4 hours without parental supervision
3. Goodes goes on self indulgent crusade
4. People no like it
5. Opportunist pollies give him an Award
6. People still dont like it and express that in a democratic fashion
7. Goodes chucks a wobbly and does a war dance
8. People dont like it some more and boo him
9. Goodes chucks another wobbly
10. Opportunist journos play the racism card
11. Goodes chucks a wobbly and says Im not playing anymore

NOBODY WINS :(

Actions and consequences, Adam....

Wait.

You know that's NOT WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED, right?

I think your point is irrelevant if it's based on a series of events that never occurred.

This only makes sense if you have no knowledge of the colonisation of the known world.

Holy hell. This isn't a serious point, is it?

We're discussing the indigenous point of view on white colonization and your view is - what? That white culture was bringing civilization to the savages? That the devastation of Aboriginal culture is irrelevant?

You do realise that he went on with it after the game, once he realised she was 13? You realise he named and shamed a 13 year old girl nationally AFTER the game???? He did it knowingly and deliberately with full knowledge of the facts.

No he didn't. The Herald Sun named her. They also published her photograph and all with the consent of the girl's mother. Goodes went out of his way NOT to identify her. This is all published record and easily verified. The myth that Goodes ruined her life has been perpetuated ad nauseum by those peddling an agenda. Point the finger at her mother or the paper who identified her, not the person she vilified.

Just because Alan Jones says it in an opinion piece, doesn't make it true. You of all people ought to know the difference between fact and opinion since that is what you demand from everyone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night AFL360 gave their 2 cents worth and I have to say I'm disappointed.

No attempt was made by either host to delve into the reasoning behind Goodes general unpopularity. They simply dismissed this view as racist and left it at that. Not sure who is writing the editorial for 360 but it is a Murdoch production.
They then proceeded to show a montage (accompanied by suitable violins to set the mood)of respected football personalities and front page headlines (from the Murdoch Press) to show them in full support of their side of the story. What they didn't do was hunt out any football personality who would dare speak against their way of thinking. But instead their attitude was "Let's take the high ground and hit the racist hoards with vitriol from our high perch without any attempt at properly reporting the story"

360 is one of the more entertaining shows on telly but Gerrard and Robbo are sports commentators only. Hardly what this debate deserves.

Besides the gap in health, education and life expectancy. ...... Another key violation of basic human rights has been the institutionalised stripping of cutural and personal identity.

I don't know where the kids that taught Goodes the "war dance" were from. But in my time in the NT I saw kids doing this as a celebration. Often dancing.... you know how kids get in a circle and show their fancy dance moves... when they finished this was a little flourish at the end, then the next kid would dance in the middle. A bit of traditional culture in the midst of modern music.

If anyone actually felt threatened by his imaginay spear, during indigenous round, after a goal was kicked..... geez they must be insecure about other cultures.....

Being racist isn't limited to "hating someone because of race". Telling Goodes how he should act (ie telling him to be more like McLeod or Wanganeen) is racist.

As is some no-clue whitey telling an Indigenous person what is and is not part of their culture (although maybe colonialism is a better term than racism in this instance). If you doubt this is offensive, imagine the shoe was on the other foot and somebody from an entirely different background, who had never met you, tried to tell you what your culture was. Not only that, you are not allowed to show any disagreement or dissent and just agree with them politely and smile.

Love Thy Neighbor & Death do us Part are two British comedy shows from years ago maybe Adam could find some solace in watching a few episodes of dem dat when he finds some spare time.

Love Thy Neighbour was an excellent show, because every episode followed the same format:

The white guy told the black guy something like "that's white man's electricity you're using"

The black guy said stuff like "shut up you white snowflake"

They'd hatch a scheme against each other which would fail, and the wives would roll their eyes and shake their heads and wonder why they didn't just get along

Prime time TV comedy that by using racism in comedy demonstrated how stupid racism was, fantastic for its time.

Last night AFL360 gave their 2 cents worth and I have to say I'm disappointed.

No attempt was made by either host to delve into the reasoning behind Goodes general unpopularity. They simply dismissed this view as racist and left it at that. Not sure who is writing the editorial for 360 but it is a Murdoch production.
They then proceeded to show a montage (accompanied by suitable violins to set the mood)of respected football personalities and front page headlines (from the Murdoch Press) to show them in full support of their side of the story. What they didn't do was hunt out any football personality who would dare speak against their way of thinking. But instead their attitude was "Let's take the high ground and hit the racist hoards with vitriol from our high perch without any attempt at properly reporting the story"

360 is one of the more entertaining shows on telly but Gerrard and Robbo are sports commentators only. Hardly what this debate deserves.

Mainstream media is full of people with vested interests in keeping their jobs and the programs and newspapers they are involved in selling.
On an issue like this its all too common for the media to take the easy view of politically correct to keep themselves out of the headlines and not become a target by the groups with agendas which no doubt have been petitioning hard on this issue all week to suit their agenda of all Aussies are racist.
The racist view is the simple view of the ignorant as well as the unfortunate catchcry of political correctness. These people are unwilling to accept there is a grey area and anything 'White Australia' does or say to anyone indigenous is racist or has racist undertones if the indigenous person dare get a tear in their eye. No 'ifs or buts'. It wouldn't even surprise me if Fox told them to take that stance as well.

Thankfully Sunrise sought out Alan Jones.

I don't like Alan Jones but on this issue I think he has some valid points. Whats the harm in asking Adam Goodes to look into his behaviour. Surely asking an indigenous person to examine themselves isn't racist. Everyone has to do it if they don't like something that happens to hem over and over again. Why is Goodes different.

you are correct to say free speech isn't unlimited, there are laws and legislation around it.

however, I would direct you to the legislative guidance that clearly shows that booing Goodes does not come close to meeting the criteria for racial vilification.

there is absolutely no evidence at all that booing goodes is primarily driven by a racially motivated agenda. the only agenda here is the one desperately looking for a harbour to land in
So here we have a non indigenous person telling the indigenous person - who feels as if he is being racially vilified - that he must be mistaken. It says so here in this white man's legislative guide. :rolleyes:

How many white players are constantly booed? What unique action in particular has brought this on?

So anyone who disagres with you is incapable of independent thought? Breathtaking. Disagree by all means, but to belittle the opinion of many Australians out of hand says something about you I think.
Umpires are booed every.frikken.week.

Case dismissed

I liked this from miranda devine

"He was a rich, powerful, 33-year-old elite sportsman; she was a defenseless, underprivileged child. And the AFL, if it cared about him, would have told him so, rather than pandering to his misplaced sense of victimhood."
Underprivileged? How the * do they come up with that? She's at the footy FFS, how ******* underprivileged could she be? Ridiculous comment.

So Adam didnt call Australia Day invasion day? Didnt say to white Australians to remember whos land they were living on?

Read what he actually said:

Goodes admitted Sunday's Australia Day celebrations prompted mixed emotions after he learnt the full story of the country's settlement in regards to his own heritage when he was younger.

However, he said there were still reasons to celebrate his culture on January 26.

"There was a lot of anger, a lot of sorrow, for this day and very much the feeling of invasion day," he said.

"But in the last five years, I've really changed my perception of what is Australia Day, of what it is to be Australian and for me, it's about celebrating the positives, that we are still here as indigenous people, our culture is one of the longest surviving cultures in the world, over 40,000 years.

"That is something we need to celebrate and all Australians need to celebrate.

"There are people out there thinking that today is a great day for Australia - well, it is.

"It's a day we celebrate over 225 years of European settlement and right now, that's who we are as a nation but we also need to acknowledge our fantastic Aboriginal history of over 40,000 years and just know that some Aboriginal people out there today are feeling a little bit angry, a little bit soft in the heart today because of that, and that's OK as well."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back