news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah ok. I was thinking somebody asked him that in an interview. It's just that she's obviously very good and yet everyone wants to create all these weird hypothetical fights. I remember when Rogan said she'd beat half the male bantamweights. It's such a pointless statement. Same with Dana White saying she'd beat Mayweather. Shaquille O'Neal mentioned something about if he were to fight her too.

The only hypothetical fight that's being discussed that is in any way worthwhile talking about is her against Cyborg. That fight could happen. All these others are freakshow s**t that's never happening.

Best reply from that was this:

11828590_1118207278193784_5929763633030869870_n.jpg

Am I the only who thinks its not that bad :confused:
First time I saw it I thought it wasn't that bad, but seeing it again I think it's pretty bad. Shields is tapping a bunch of times and Palhares doesn't just hold the kimura in place until the ref intervenes. He actually cranks it more and more until the ref jumps in and he eventually lets go. Mazzagatti didn't do a very good job either though.

Even if the finish wasn't that bad, Palhares attacking Shields' eyes throughout the bout was. That was worse than the finish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joe Lauzon talks a lot of sense in this video about the Palhares stuff. If you don't want to watch it, here's what he said. He went through his own submission wins and timed how long it took him to let go of them after the ref touches him. Then he did the same for some Palhares ones. Lauzon's average time was 0.199 and Palhares' was 1.074. Then he concludes by saying that Palhares is kind of a dick haha.

https://www.facebook.com/joelauzon/videos/10153477783403570/

Cyborg has put the challenge down to the UFC and Ronda. We know how superfights work...Ronda will lose against Tate and then the cyborg fight won't happen.

Thought I'd put this here rather than in the 190 thread.

I listened to Luke Thomas' most recent live chat. He was talking up Rousey a lot but mentioned that he thinks some of the talk is over the top.

In the 190 thread we were talking about Serena Williams vs Rousey in terms of who is the better athlete. I don't think there's much of an argument for Rousey but whatever.

Thomas brought up Saori Yoshida to counter people saying that Rousey's the best female combat sports athlete. I think it's pretty hard to argue that anything Rousey has done compares to Yoshida's accomplishments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saori_Yoshida

Actually, I was mistaken. Thomas mentioned Kaori Icho. Same argument works for both women when you compare their results in sport to Rousey's. Same argument would work for a number of judokas too.

Just noticed that Joe Rogan said Rousey is the best female combat athlete ever. This is so ******* dumb, but then again Rogan always exaggerates s**t.

Never really liked Brendan Schaub and then I heard his comments about the Reebok deal and how stuff is in the UFC, and thought that's some good stuff he's saying.

Now he's saying that the increased drug testing is hurting Brazilians and I realised that I certainly still don't like the guy. Brazil cops the most s**t in MMA for no reason.

Look at all the Americans who pop for PEDs, but no let's make it all about Brazil. Everyone acts like winning a decision in Brazil is impossible. Well, often the judges are Americans, but let's conveniently forget that because it doesn't fit our unsubstantiated belief that you can't trust Brazilian judges to act impartially.

That referee stopping the fight when the submission wasn't there a while back. Duh, Brazilian MMA is corrupt, they were training partners even though there's * all proof. Wait, there's a photo with a black guy in it who looks nothing like Leandro Silva. Yeah, that's it, he's Leandro Silva. It's a conspiracy.

Actually, I was mistaken. Thomas mentioned Kaori Icho. Same argument works for both women when you compare their results in sport to Rousey's. Same argument would work for a number of judokas too.

Just noticed that Joe Rogan said Rousey is the best female combat athlete ever. This is so ******* dumb, but then again Rogan always exaggerates s**t.

I probably agree with you (thats an insane CV) but if people are gonna make the argument that Ronda has no competition cause there is a lack of depth in Womens MMA then the same argument can be mounted for Womens olympic wrestling or Judo, it doesnt get the press etc. I also wont claim to be an expert on the subject of womens wrestling or judo here.

I would assume (which is a stupid thing to do) that Rogan is coming at it from the "MMA is the pinnacle of combat sports because it combines all styles blah, blah, blah". In which case his argument would be "Ronda is the best female MMA fighter ever, MMA is the best form of combat sports ever hence Ronda=Best combat sports female athlete ever". Not saying its logical or right, just playing it out.

I probably agree with you (thats an insane CV) but if people are gonna make the argument that Ronda has no competition cause there is a lack of depth in Womens MMA then the same argument can be mounted for Womens olympic wrestling or Judo, it doesnt get the press etc. I also wont claim to be an expert on the subject of womens wrestling or judo here.

I would assume (which is a stupid thing to do) that Rogan is coming at it from the "MMA is the pinnacle of combat sports because it combines all styles blah, blah, blah". In which case his argument would be "Ronda is the best female MMA fighter ever, MMA is the best form of combat sports ever hence Ronda=Best combat sports female athlete ever". Not saying its logical or right, just playing it out.
Women's judo is huge worldwide. Particularly in Asia, Europe and South America.

Anyone catch Uriah Hall's interview on 'UFC Fight Night' last night? Pretty interesting. He went on a bit longer and in a bit more depth than they expected I think, and the hosts were quiet and let him speak, dropping uncensored F-bombs and all. Despite what people may gleam from his "passive" performances so far in the UFC, he seems like a passionate, emotional, fiery guy. Good to see/hear a fighter speak so honestly, and not just offer up the usual clichés.

I think the thing is, because the Olympic cycle is so long (remember, Ronda hadn't even fought in the UFC when the last Olympics were held), and by the time most wrestlers, judokas, etc. reach the truly elite level of their chosen discipline, it's too late for a lot of them to transition to MMA. It takes a special mix of being a young prodigy in the sport (Ronda made her first Olympic team at age 17), and then making the transition to MMA early (Ronda was 23 when she had her first amateur MMA fight) to see more of these Olympic athletes make the switch.

It's probably simpler at this stage for women to make the switch than men (due to the shallower talent pool), but if they go through 1-2 Olympic cycles, then decide to make the switch, get training and fights under their belt, most women and men will be in their early 30s by that stage, and unless they're a truly elite, Olympic-medal level athlete at their particular art (eg. Ronda with her judo), on a timeline, it's probably going to take them until their mid-to-late 30s before they even reach title contender status (eg. Daniel Cormier, Yoel Romero), by which time most athletes (especially those in such physically taxing sports as the combat arts) are on the downswing and probably doing everything they can to fight off father time/mother time and avoid retirement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back