Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would people be comfortable with their stance if Goodes was found hanging from a noose tomorrow morning...unable to deal with the public pressure and humiliation?

Would you go and boo him at his funeral?

Have we learnt nothing about bullying.....

Ive worked with countless youth including some who have completed suicide....this is really just the same pattern of bullying but on a larger scale.

How can we properly move on if people are not willing to acknowledge the truth of where we are coming from?
Im sure most educated people in Australia know about our history.
Why do we have to keep refering back to it instead of moving on?
My family did nothing wrong at all so why should my family be labeled?

Surely it's beyond a joke now. If Goodes retires over all this there should be plenty of people ashamed of themselves, although no doubt they will be pleased that they have been able to drive him out of the game.

Anyone who rates their right to boo someone at the footy over the mental health of another human who has done them no personal harm is a pretty terrible person.

Adam Goodes needs to toughen up, people are booed day in day out in their respective sports LeBron James being a prime example, he doesn't give a crap about the constant booing.

The media along with Gillion McLaughlin have added fuel to the fire but they will not want to share the blame for this escalating. You can't tell people to stop and expect it to happen when they ignore the real reason why Goodes is being booed and assume the worst.

There is still a lot of institutional racism that still exists in Australian society. That is not the past, it is now.

Goodes biggest mistake was refering to Australia Day as invasion day........
That is reverse racism at its finest.
How can everyone move on if he keeps looking to the past?
Goodes Mother is part Aboriginal and part white.Goodes father was white apparently? So not really much aboriginal in there.Doesn't look like Liam Jurrah.

The media along with Gillion McLaughlin have added fuel to the fire but they will not want to share the blame for this escalating. You can't tell people to stop and expect it to happen when they ignore the real reason why Goodes is being booed and assume the worst.

So what is the real reason? What is it that Goodes has done that is worse than any other AFL player in the last 20 years?

My family came here at the same time, escaping war and persecution and worked their arses off so I can live a fantastic life myself right now. I know where you are coming from.

Let's be sensitive to the significance of the date and what it means for different Australians.

Would you be willing to give the same advice to Goodes too if you bumped into him on the street?

His approach has been identified as divisive largely IMO due to his insensitivity, don't you think it may be time for him to rethink his approach?

My family came here at the same time, escaping war and persecution and worked their arses off so I can live a fantastic life myself right now. I know where you are coming from.

I don't think Adam wants you to feel guilty for something you didn't do. I don't think he doesn't want you to feel appreciative for living in what is in many ways a great country either.

I think he does want you to consider that the day chosen to celebrate Australia is one that has very negative connotations for him and his people because it marks the day that attempts to destroy their culture began, a point that most people in this country are only just coming round to recognise. The mistreatment of our native people began at white settlement, but the impacts of that still continue to this day. To that extent all of us current Australians need to make this acknowledgement and commit to doing things differently going into the future.

Rather than just get drunk and have a BBQ (nothing wrong with that!), he wants the day to also become a touchstone for the problems that we still need to resolve, and I think that is fair enough. On Australia day we can both celebrate what is great about this country AND acknowledge the ways we can and need to do better. I'd like to think most of us are capable of holding both those thoughts in our mind at the same time. Let's be sensitive to the significance of the date and what it means for different Australians.
Great post.

If something like this had been said when he received his Aussie day honours, it may have been accepted a lot better. Goodes speech was not so poetic. Maybe we do need to change Australia Day to a different date, is there one of a good significant happening for all to enjoy and share? I'm a Pom, and I love of the celebration of Australia Day, but I don't like to spoil the party for anyone.

There is always different ways to get the message across. You always get more bees with honey.

I don't boo Goodes, unless he does a cheap shot on my players, or is shooting for goal up our end, but I still don't agree with comments the entire crowd is doing it because they are racist, that's just ridiculous. It doesn't matter what colour or creed you are, what religion, no one likes to have the message rammed down their throats, and especially not in an inappropriate arena.

As for his actions now, it's sad. If that's the way he feels ok, then he needs to walk away. Bullying is never acceptable, but it works both ways. Don't antagonise the bully. Yes stand up for your self, always, but don't antagonise.

The post above is excellent, you should be in politics, we need someone like you, instead of the crass bastards there now!

Goodes Mother is part Aboriginal and part white.Goodes father was white apparently? So not really much aboriginal in there.Doesn't look like Liam Jurrah.
I had to re-read that many times in sheer disbelief...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way people react to the comment "Invasion Day" suggests that we need to keep referring to it because plenty of people really just don't get it.

None of my family was here at the time either, yet I am still able to acknowledge the issue. It seems like that is something a lot of people are not willing or able to do. Until they do, it is a major hindrance to moving forward. You can't properly address what is happening now and what needs to happen in the future if people are not going to accept what got us here in the first place and is still holding us back.

The way people react to the comment "Invasion Day" suggests that we need to keep referring to it because plenty of people really just don't get it.

None of my family was here at the time either, yet I am still able to acknowledge the issue. It seems like that is something a lot of people are not willing or able to do. Until they do, it is a major hindrance to moving forward. You can't properly address what is happening now and what needs to happen in the future if people are not going to accept what got us here in the first place and is still holding us back.
I think the funny part is people talking about Goodes needing to bring everyone together to move forward. What "bringing everyone together and moving forward" seems to mean is "It doesn't really bother me if indigenous Australians catch up to the rest of Australia in living outcomes, I just don't want it to be too uncomfortable for me".

So you are saying that everyone that has moved on is racist?

So if a co-worker of yours was being bullied and your boss told everyone not to call her a useless scrag your response would be "* off mate, I've got freedom of speech! I wasn't hassling her before but I sure will now!"

You should probably stay home tomorrow. Your club's made it clear they don't want people like you at their games.
Spectators aren't co-workers, they are paying customers. Are you suggesting we ban booing, after 125 years, because one player gets upset about it?

That's your contribution to the discussion? Amazing.

Crazy thing is, there are people posting this sort of thing on Facebook... under their real names!

Would you be willing to give the same advice to Goodes too if you bumped into him on the street?

His approach has been identified as divisive largely IMO due to his insensitivity, don't you think it may be time for him to rethink his approach?

I'd be interested to sit down with I'm and talk about it. I don't think I would necessarily tell him to change his approach though - I think the negative reaction to him say a lot more abut those who are reacting than it does about what he has said and how he has said it. Sometimes you do need to shake things up to get change to happen. His methods have revealed what was apparently not clear to a lot of people - there IS a racist undercurrent in this country and it doesn't ake much for it to bubble to the surface.

Bad idea wearing or indigenous jumpers for this flog of a bloke.. How bout we just create more divide between the two. Simple fact is 90% of ppl booing him are doing it Bcoz ybey don't like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back