Will you be booing Adam Goodes Round 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people not booing rioli, jetta, etc
ohhh if you boo the black guy you must be racist , because a black person can't be dickheads

go ahead , play that card. but its very narrow minded, and just as racist as what you are accusing of others.
Bullshit mate. The issue is with Goodes being loud and proud about his heritage and calling people out about it. The reason that people dont mention Jetta and Rioli is because they specifically arent pushing a racial agenda at the moment.

I just am constantly bemused that people believe that Aborginal people arent constantly pushed to quell their opinion and fit in with western society.

Bringing up race issues and how the white population of people in this country treat minorities of different race is suddenly racist itself? What? Feel free to debate me if you somehow think this is a country of tolerant people who gives everyone a fair go but thats just a poorly thought out accusation that makes no sense.

Adams dance did not speak to your culture, in my opinion. Adam's dance was speaking to his culture and his story. If you feel threatened or diminshed or denigrated by his performance, that's entirely because of your own internal perspectives.

This is a big part of the problem though...I think there is a strong under current of naivety amongst the greater Australian population towards our own indigenous culture. This naivety is, in my opinion, underpinned by an unwillingness to engage an ancient culture, but rather to keep it at a comfortable distance. I can only interpret this world through my own experiences. As far as my Australian family is concerned the boomerang is okay, and the didgeridoo is fun (for a while). They don't hate dreamtime and walkabout but...they don't ever want to see their kids dance like the natives, it's not even remotely attractive. They think indigenous art is ok, but really how many ways can you arrange dots before it becomes irrelevant. They bristle whenever someone performs welcome to country on TV and don't understand or want to understand all the carry on with incense and rhythym sticks. Don't even try to start a conversation about the aborginal tent or flag, let alone land rights! You'll be drowned in a torrent of venomous vitriole. AND if the grand kids ever bring home other kids who even remotely look aboriginal...well I should be a more discerning parent.

For the record when I first came to Australia, I felt denigrated many times. But never once did I think this was because people were white power kkk racists. I just put it down to them being ignorant and uneducated about the world I sprouted from or perhaps me being ignorant and uneducated about Australia.
Well spoken and really the crux underlying all this issue. We dont respect Aboriginal people unless they conform to our standards and even someone like Adam Goodes who by and large lives as any other white footballer cannot show an ounce of his heritage or defend himself without being criticized for it.

What I don't understand about the "pro-booers" is that you know there are racists out there hurling racial abuse at Adam Goodes. There were people kicked out the game vs West Coast for this very reason. Even if you believe this is the minority, why would you want to join in with them? Why would you want to give these low-lifes an arena to hide in?
Booing is not a racsist gesture. Im fine with it. If you cross the line and make personal attacks your gone. Everyone knows the rules.
Where were all the do gooders when Watson was getting booed.
Pulling the racial card is a way for Goodes to get people to stop booing him.
Milne got booed for yrs plus constant abuse.
Seems like the I need attention crap again

I stand by what I have said previously in this thread.

I do not hope any of us Saints supporters boo Adam Goodes from the opening bounce unnecessarily. That I feel is uncalled for & wrong, & goes against the spirit of AFL footy.

However, if he performs any of his dodgey 'tricks' (ie: knee sliding into our players), I have no problem with our supporters booing him. If it were any other player sliding with his knees into our players, I'd be expecting him to be booed, so why aren't we allowed to set the same standards to Adam Goodes?

If you perform a dangerous act on the field, you deserve to feel the wrath of fans booing you, as they are letting you know that those sort of actions are out of line. That's way way it's been for 125 years, it's part of footy.... This is a clear differentiation to booing from the opening bounce for no valid reason whatsoever other than being a racist dickhead twat

Sorry, but as I stated in my previous post, if Adam Goodes or any other player performs knee sliding antics into the legs of any of our players, I hope they are booed just like every other player who performs a dangerous act gets booed.... He is not above that, no player is. It's the way footy has been for 125 years. The spectator's ability to vent anger toward opposition players who perform untoward & dangerous acts against their team's players should not be taken away.

Did he slide into a St Kilda player? Did he slide in last week or 3 years ago? If we're now holding grudges against blokes for dirty actions that they did against opposition in the past then we'll spend the whole game booing.

It's a rubbish argument Rors... we know that the vast majority of the booing isn't racist, it's people that are just following the lead of others who don't like Goodes because of his off field comments. So if you boo along with racists what does that say about you? As many of us have mentioned, Winmar's stance in 93 is celebrated as a historic and heroic action & something that paved the way for a player like Adam Goodes to take that stand further.

As a club at the forefront of that action in 1993 I hope that our supporters can show Nicky Winmar (& Gilly) that our support for them wasn't just because they were wearing RWB...it was because we believe in equality.

If we don't then we are no better than the cretins that abused Cuz & Gilly that day.

SMH at the people defending his booing because booing at the footy is okay. Of course it's okay in normal circumstances. This has gone far beyond normal circumstances. He is being booed every round by supporters of every club.

You can try and ignore why but it is blinding obvious. There have been dirtier players, cheaper players, bigger divers, bigger umpires pets and none of them have been booed this much in my time watching footy. You boo because his bringing of indigenous issues to the forefront rather than just playing footy and keeping his mouth shut like a good little boy makes you uncomfortable. In 2015 it is absolutely outrageous.

I'd hope that Saints supporters would have a bit more sense but in all honestly that isn't the case, there are ignorant flogs across all fan bases. But from someone who has always hated Goodes as a player, I implore everyone to give it a break if he plays us.

edit: This from first dog on the moon, great bloke and huge Dogs fan, (apart from the hilariously salty panel about Roo) sums up my feelings on the matter

2400.jpg

Think Goodes has brought it on himself with everyone's excessive booing (the crowds way of sledging). Unfortunately for him he has shown that this affects him & what true blooded Australian football fan, doesn't love seeing their handywork upsetting & putting off the opposition? Sorry Goodsie reckon your just gunna have to grow a new set of gonads.:cry:

Did he slide into a St Kilda player? Did he slide in last week or 3 years ago? If we're now holding grudges against blokes for dirty actions that they did against opposition in the past then we'll spend the whole game booing.

It's a rubbish argument Rors... we know that the vast majority of the booing isn't racist, it's people that are just following the lead of others who don't like Goodes because of his off field comments. So if you boo along with racists what does that say about you? As many of us have mentioned, Winmar's stance in 93 is celebrated as a historic and heroic action & something that paved the way for a player like Adam Goodes to take that stand further.

As a club at the forefront of that action in 1993 I hope that our supporters can show Nicky Winmar (& Gilly) that our support for them wasn't just because they were wearing RWB...it was because we believe in equality.

If we don't then we are no better than the cretins that abused Cuz & Gilly that day.
My point has completely gone over your head.

If Franklin elbows one of our players in the head during this upcoming game, is it now racist to voice our disapproval of his action by booing him because he's an aboriginal player?

Spare me the lecture, I know the difference between booing for no reason & booing to voice disapproval of a dangerous act.

My point has completely gone over your head.

If Franklin elbows one of our players in the head during this upcoming game, is it now racist to voice our disapproval of his action by booing him because he's an aboriginal player?

Spare me the lecture, I know the difference between booing for no reason & booing to voice disapproval of a dangerous act.
No it hasn't gone over my head... people are trying to excuse their behavior by saying 'he slid into Josh Gibson in 2013'.

No one is saying you can't boo someone after a dirty act. Goodes would be booed if he got the footy on the 1st possession of the game.

If Buddy takes one of our guys out then he'll get booed & rightfully so. Same if Goodes does it.

But that's not what is happening. Nicky was a dirty player but didn't get booed constantly at every game so what is the difference with Goodes?

It's his off field comments & way in which he challenges white Australia.

That's what has the closet racists up & about. And every one of the sheep that goes along with them mindlessly is giving them encouragement.

I won't boo because I actually think it's a childish exercise and don't bother with it...

But I certainly think Goodes is a dickhead and it offends me that the assumption is made he's not liked because of race
Carey was a dickhead. Acka was a mega dickhead.
Both got booed regualy but not en masse like this. Ive never heard anything like this.
Its just got out of hand now. Sure hes a bit of a knob. But there is a hell of a lot worse people and dirtier players than Adam Goodes in the AFL.
Its crossed the line from a bit of harmless booing to something that just seems ugly.

I don't really get the point you're trying to make to me..

I never said it was or wasn't blown out of proportion, I said it was unnecessary that he did it. The week leading up to that game he came out and said he didn't know why he was being booed and wished the crowd would stop, and then he charges over towards opposition supporters with an aggressive war dance to their faces. He said it was to honour Indigenous round and some junior Indiginous footballers he had spent some time with, so if he had of done it and not directed it at the crowd then it wouldn't have been an issue.

What Im saying is Milne milked the crowd and acted aggressive a lot but you are saying it wasn't reasonable that he was booed but Goodes bought it on himself. I thought it was actually good theatre that didn't make anyone scared that he was going to hurt them. I sit next to the cheer squad a bit and I would say a lot of players will approach the crowd from the opposition and say stuff or give aggressive gestures up close to the fence. This was made a big deal of because it was apparently too indigenous. If La Cras runs up to the fence and yells f^%$ you and gives us the finger it's not pointed out in the media that he's an uncivilised frenchman being deliberately provocative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carey was a dickhead. Acka was a mega dickhead.
Both got booed regualy but not en masse like this. Ive never heard anything like this.
Its just got out of hand now. Sure hes a bit of a knob. But there is a hell of a lot worse people and dirtier players than Adam Goodes in the AFL.
Its crossed the line from a bit of harmless booing to something that just seems ugly.

Acker would get boos and laughs Carey was usually only booed when he was a $#@ and was aggressive...well except by the Roos fans when he went to Adelaide but even that ended after a few weeks.

What I don't understand about the "pro-booers" is that you know there are racists out there hurling racial abuse at Adam Goodes. There were people kicked out the game vs West Coast for this very reason. Even if you believe this is the minority, why would you want to join in with them? Why would you want to give these low-lifes an arena to hide in?

I don't get it. Regardless of personal feelings for Goodes and the way he plays etc. aren't you still disgusted and pissed off that racists are given an out to spew their trash opinions unpunished?
Not really, I couldn't really care what others do, I have my own agenda with him

The umpiring fraternity must be feeling left out. Years of screaming white maggot and zero racial vilification cases to date.
Only because it doesn't affect their families right? Or because their all white? Or hmm

Acker would get boos and laughs Carey was usually only booed when he was a $#@ and was aggressive...well except by the Roos fans when he went to Adelaide but even that ended after a few weeks.
exactly. This Goodes thing Is the worst ive heard.
The bloke aint that bloody bad to cop this crap.

People are happy to let indigenous people live in Australia if they keep their head down. They shouldn't rock the boat or they deserve deportation. When we gave them the vote in 1967 and allowed them to become citizens they should have been happy but then they wanted rights over some of our crown lands that held vast deposits of minerals that we need to give to international mining corporations for small royalties to our federal and state governments. We had to step in to take the autonomy off them because they were a danger to themselves and then we just happened to get control of their land, because of that some nice miners offered to pay us royalties for our new found controlled regions...what luck. Many of these people live in stupidly remote areas so we have decided we should get them to live somewhere more convenient to us. These people should just know their ^%$e=n place or go back where they came from.

a lot of posts on this forum are pulling the racism card, with some people it might be,
but for a lot of people it is not racism. adam goodes a role model, ha ha pull the other one, he needs to sit down and talk to cathy freeman about her life and the role she played and is still playing in support of her people. ;he is not a likable person regardless of his colour and needs to get the chip of his shoulder. cathy freeman a true ambassador, adam goodes I think not.

I certainly didn't agree with the words he used in his Australian of the year speech . I thought it was very poor form to be honest.
But there is no way I ll join the masses of people who boo for different reasons ( because some of them really are racial or moronic f- wits ie that bogan family that thought it was fine to call him an ape)
So booing just adds to the volume level of their booing - so no thanks - I'm better than that.

If I go I won't boo him, unless he flattens a saint
Same really.

Thinking back the last time i booed goodes was 2005 prelim against the swans when he was deliberately kicking through for a point and wasting time in last quarter. in fact i was livid the entire game after hall smashed maguire and we collapsed in the last quarter, after leading at 3 quarter time, i think Schneider kicked the sealer for the swans that night.

bah. bad memories.

Just as a matter of interest, and I genuinely don't know the answer...has anyone in the game ever admitted or been found guilty of racial vilification? And if so did crowds express their dislike of these players actions by booing?

Not really, I couldn't really care what others do, I have my own agenda with him

Only because it doesn't affect their families right? Or because their all white? Or hmm
Don't care whether you agree with me or not, but when you allow racism to continue unopposed you are part of the problem and you have to bear that

a lot of posts on this forum are pulling the racism card, with some people it might be,
but for a lot of people it is not racism. adam goodes a role model, ha ha pull the other one, he needs to sit down and talk to cathy freeman about her life and the role she played and is still playing in support of her people. ;he is not a likable person regardless of his colour and needs to get the chip of his shoulder. cathy freeman a true ambassador, adam goodes I think not.

With all due respects unless you are an Indigenous Australian it's not your position to be able to say that Goodes is not a role model. I'm of Irish/English stock but have spent some time up in remote communities in NT & I can tell you that Adam Goodes is a revered figure.

Maybe you like Cathy because she is less confrontational that Goodes is...to be perfectly honest, the Indigenous community needs a strong personality to stand up to the government (of whatever variety) and try to change what should be a national embarrassment.

Every Indigenous person who has commented on this case & spoke of how inspirational Goodes is to their community.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back