Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he stages for a free kick or does anything worthy of a 'boo', then he will. Would it still be racist?

Booing at the TV doesn't count. Nobody can hear you.
I'm not buying in to the "Is it racist or not" theme. Because quite frankly I don't know. For some maybe. For others no. I'm not sure it's the point to be honest.
I can imagine it would be pretty horrible to be pretty much the only player out of 44 players that get booed every touch they get every week.
Doesn't matter which ground he travels to he cops the same thing. Goodes is a long way from being my favourite opposition player, but I'm not sure anyone deserves what he is copping right now. I admit I am not a booer anyway, so the whole concept is perhaps lost on me.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
Missing the point. Goodes has made it clear he feels the booing has a racial element to it. Thats what counts. If you continue to boo once you know that its racial. You can boo an umpire for a bad decision no matter the skin colour as long as its only about the goal decision.

No... f@#$ that!! Are you telling me that if Stephen Milne came out and said... "I don't like you booing me... it makes me sad"... we would all have stopped booing him? He cannot make 13 yo girls the face of racism, incite race war as Australian of the year and tell us to stop celebrating Australia day as it's the day we (that's right... you and I individually) invaded his country. F@#$ that indeed!!

He is not Australian of the year.... In fact, he thinks that Australia is a s**t country, filled with racist bigots.... I will boo him till i'm blue in the face and I will boo your rubbish comment.

Oh and by the way.... My new favourite Collingwood player is Travis Varcoe.... Go figure!!

Sep 9, 2010
Essendon
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester City
Booing at the TV doesn't count. Nobody can hear you.
I'm not buying in to the "Is it racist or not" theme. Because quite frankly I don't know. For some maybe. For others no. I'm not sure it's the point to be honest.
I can imagine it would be pretty horrible to be pretty much the only player out of 44 players that get booed every touch they get every week.
Doesn't matter which ground he travels to he cops the same thing. Goodes is a long way from being my favourite opposition player, but I'm not sure anyone deserves what he is copping right now. I admit I am not a booer anyway, so the whole concept is perhaps lost on me.
Let's be honest, we've boo-ed Milne a lot more than what anyone has boo-ed goodes

Sep 9, 2010
Essendon
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester City
No... f@#$ that!! Are you telling me that if Stephen Milne came out and said... "I don't like you booing me... it makes me sad"... we would all have stopped booing him? He cannot make 13 yo girls the face of racism, incite race war as Australian of the year and tell us to stop celebrating Australia day as it's the day we (that's right... you and I individually) invaded his country. F@#$ that indeed!!

He is not Australian of the year.... In fact, he thinks that Australia is a s**t country, filled with racist bigots.... I will boo him till i'm blue in the face and I will boo your rubbish comment.

Oh and by the way.... My new favourite Collingwood player is Travis Varcoe.... Go figure!!
Exactly right.

Let's be honest, we've boo-ed Milne a lot more than what anyone has boo-ed goodes

Like I said I'm not a booer so i didn't boo him either.
But did Milne cop it more so from Pie supporters or every club got into him?
I don't think even he has had to cop it on the level Goodes has this season.

If he stages for a free kick or does anything worthy of a 'boo', then he will. Would it still be racist?
That would be different. If Goodes like any player does something dirty etc you can boo away for that incidence no worries. If the concerted campaign of booing him with no other precipitator continues that has become racist even if it didnt start that way

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Like I said I'm not a booer so i didn't boo him either.
But did Milne cop it more so from Pie supporters or every club got into him?
I don't think even he has had to cop it on the level Goodes has this season.

OMG... every single club not only boo'd him but told him what a dirty, scum rapist he was. Week in... Week out!!
He still cops it playing local footy in the BFL.
Now i'm not saying that's right... What I am saying is where was all of this media frenzy when that occurred? Where was the AFL statements and the opposition clubs offering their support? Why was that different? Why does the colour of Adam's skin make this so much different?

That's just his perception of reality
And in this instance its his interpetation that counts. If I assume you come from a non racially oppressed group in our society then you are in no position to tell a racially oppressed group how they should feel about racial insults.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
That would be different. If Goodes like any player does something dirty etc you can boo away for that incidence no worries. If the concerted campaign of booing him with no other precipitator continues that has become racist even if it didnt start that way

No... This is such bullshit!! You cannot just assume that it is race related. This is what is angering the Australian public the most.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
And in this instance its his interpetation that counts. If I assume you come from a non racially oppressed group in our society then you are in no position to tell a racially oppressed group how they should feel about racial insults.

Please tell me how racially oppressed an AFL footballer worth millions of dollars could possibly be. Humour me.
But he must be oppressed.... because he's black.

OMG... every single club not only boo'd him but told him what a dirty, scum rapist he was. Week in... Week out!!
He still cops it playing local footy in the BFL.
Now i'm not saying that's right... What I am saying is where was all of this media frenzy when that occurred? Where was the AFL statements and the opposition clubs offering their support? Why was that different? Why does the colour of Adam's skin make this so much different?
Whether you think the booing of Milne was right or wrong it stemmed form reports of a rape allegation which he was alleged to have committed. Its manifestly different from abusing someone because of the colour of their skin. That should be pretty clear to anyone.

Kynge of Begrem

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2011
on bail at the time
AFL Club
Collingwood

Incite race war? grow up.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Whether you think the booing of Milne was right or wrong it stemmed form reports of a rape allegation which he was alleged to have committed. Its manifestly different from abusing someone because of the colour of their skin. That should be pretty clear to anyone.

But the majority of people are not booing him for that reason. I am certainly not. So what's your point?

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Incite race war? grow up.

He's racially dividing the nation for his own agenda. If there are riots tomorrow because of this... I lay the blame squarely at the feet of the Australian of the year who had the opportunity to take the high road but instead, made it all about himself.

No... This is such bullshit!! You cannot just assume that it is race related. This is what is angering the Australian public the most.
I am not assuming it is race related originally, cant be 100% sure though. I believe that vast majority of people booing originally did so because they didnt like Goodes the player not for any racial reason. But it has now clearly changed once Goodes says he feels a racial context to it. If you know that and continue to boo him you have lost the respect you should have for how he feels about this and that has racist overtones. There is no reason you need to continue to boo him once this is known that would override how he feels.

DolphinMan

Senior List
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
This in the "Australian" and a good comment that sums it all up:

Perhaps some of the reason why many Australians are reacting to Adam Goodes and his antics is that we are fed up to the back teeth by the steady diet of political correctness fed to us by a number of politicians and community leaders. When any dissent is expressed against these morally superior ruling elites and the social engineers in our midst it is immediately branded as racism. Unfortunately there are many such people in our midst who would prefer to shut down genuine debate on indigenous issues and multiculturalism, by "bad mouthing" and branding people as racists simply because they happen to hold different views to the ones they espouse.

Adam Goodes is a gifted footballer and also a political activist. When you are a public figure who makes provocative statements and undertakes provocative behaviour - then it is obvious that people will vent their displeasure when given opportunity. Perhaps it would be better for all concerned if Adam Goodes retired from football and thrust himself into the world of politics. It is very difficult to be a political activist on the one hand and then complain when people voice their disapproval especially when some of his political activities have been demonstrated on the football field.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I am not assuming it is race related originally, cant be 100% sure though. I believe that vast majority of people booing originally did so because they didnt like Goodes the player not for any racial reason. But it has now clearly changed once Goodes says he feels a racial context to it. If you know that and continue to boo him you have lost the respect you should have for how he feels about this and that has racist overtones. There is no reason you need to continue to boo him once this is known that would override how he feels.

It doesn't add any racial overtones whatsoever.
For me, I've lost any respect I had for him as a human.... Not as an indigenous Australian.

As I said... Travvy V is my favourite player.... I work with a very heavily biased Indian population who I harbour many friendships with.... I love (LOVE) my Clippers..... 90% of the roster is African American..... I respect people based on their actions and not the way they look. For me, Adam has destroyed his fantastic opportunity to help unite this country..... He destroyed it the night he made a 13 year old girl the face of racism.... A girl who had no *ing clue what she was talking about.... He destroyed it some more when he cast a very wide net over the Australian population, labelling us as racist..... Telling us to stop celebrating "Invasion Day".

I am a very compassionate person to those who deserve compassion.... Adam Goodes is not one of them.

I don't like Adam Goodes yet I have never booed him.

However - If Adam has publicly stated that he feels racially vilified by this and if Adam has stated that this is upsetting him, affecting him emotionally and physically than it just has to stop. No if's, but's or maybe's - it just stops. Whether we, the club, the media or whoever assess it as racially motivating has nothing to do with where we need to be in helping Goodes overcome his perception on what this is.

For me it was wrong for the media to take hold of it and publicise it as racially motivated. It's very difficult for people to accept or even interpret their own actions as being conveyed as racial and just encourages further anger and hatred to the victim compounding his issues.

I would be livid if my kids came home from school telling me they had been bullied whether it was racially motivated or not and that it continued even after my kids and the teachers had asked the perpetrators to stop. I would walk into the school and demand that it stops at the first instance, and if not I would remove my kids from the source.

There's no question that this stops, it has to. And if you can't understand it from supporting the well being of another person than your issues are far more underlined than race.

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
Sorry - I won't have you or anyone else tell me how to behave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cool, if I catch you booing Goodes, then I won't have anybody telling me not to belt 10 shades of s**t outta you

Also, Dermie was not the cleanest player going around.

So called "tough guy". I only ever recall him sniping

rand corp

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
asia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
2400.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.