List Mgmt. Motlop: signed, sealed and delivered

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Motlop is staying purely because my son wears his number and I've convinced him to eat broccoli because I've told him that it's Motlop's favourite food.
Someone tweet that info to Mots, please. It's bound to make him stay ;)

(You know that's child abuse, SM? ;):D My son loved his broccoli as a kid because I kept telling him that he wasn't allowed to eat my trees! (He pretended that he was a dinosaur))

Motlop is staying purely because my son wears his number and I've convinced him to eat broccoli because I've told him that it's Motlop's favourite food.
You've given me a great idea... now to explain to my kids who Motlop is.

Go Hoops

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone who uses that 'broccoli' persuasion should be cautioned for child abuse!!!!!

Judging by Mots comments reported in the HS today I reckon your son can quit that horrible food as my confidence about him re-signing is growing by the minute.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
You've given me a great idea... now to explain to my kids who Motlop is.
Hamburgers and sweets =

472896-daniel-motlop.jpg

Broccoli =

steven-motlop_1c087kobb8s34zrltahdy4kmf.jpg

Last edited:
Can't believe you haven't already edumacated them, Nakia!! Now that IS child abuse!! :p
They're simply not fans of the footy much to my chagrin.

I've taken them to one game and were more interested in shivering.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins

You're doing it all wrong! Make the games on TV an event. Something fun before it? - kick the footy at half-time in the back yard. Maybe if you're one of those families that does take-away once a week or something make it footy day. Or even just say they can have something fun to drink and some chips.
#I'mshameless

1091033.jpg

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

Did you forget their jackets?? :(

Gotta be prepared for anything.

I'm with manboob on this- had the same thoughts but luckily just read his post before posting mine.

Here are my tips.
1. Soften them up- watch the games on TV. Hotdogs and chips (bag of chips or hot chips) in front of the TV. Wear beanies, guernseys and scarves.
Celebrate the wins with a few lollies. If the boys lose, you all walk around with long faces. Discuss players- buy the chewing gum cards, swap cards or The Record. Or watch the Premiership DVDs etc. the kids will have more fun if they recognise the players. Help them spot the numbers on the field and match them with a list that you've printed out for them. A prize for the winner or for both of them if they can tick off all the players on the list.

2. Choose a game early in the year. Or late in the season. One that we're pretty good odds to win. Warmer weather, cloudy day is OK or sunny. Buy tickets!

3. Pack up their gear, snacks, treats, etc. Not too much fluid or you spend the game waiting outside the toilets. :(
Buy or give them a badge or something small from the Cats Shop before the game.

4. Off you go. Enjoy!!

I've tried everything believe me, but they're more interested in music, animals and other avenues. Besides that, I don't believe in pushing kids into something they simply don't enjoy, as much as I'd love them to share that interest.

Jun 2, 2006
Point Cook
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Supersonics, Greenbay
I don't think my kids have watched a single game this year.
My son will sit and watch the ashes for hours. But footy for 30 minutes? Nup.

Yep, my daughter can watch the wiggles and play school for hours. Footy, just no way.

My son is way too young, but have began to brainwash him already, has a lot of cats gear.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I've tried everything believe me, but they're more interested in music, animals and other avenues. Besides that, I don't believe in pushing kids into something they simply don't enjoy, as much as I'd love them to share that interest.
They'll love it if they have something to interest them. If they don't know any of the players, it's hard to get an interest up. I find that I usually don't watch any other teams play footy because I find it boring. I don't know the players and it's hard to rustle up a flicker of enthusiasm.
Try getting them to just watch a quarter of a 2007/09/11 grand final- with a list of player numbers. You might have to be sneaky about it- a plate of jubes or something they like out on the table. Every time #35 or #29 gets a kick, the first one to spot it gets a jube. ;)

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
@ClarkyHeraldSun: James Brayshaw says he'd be very happy to have Steve Motlop at North Melbourne @triplemfooty. Cats very keen to re-sign him.

Isn't it interesting that when a player is seriously being considered by a rival club, they play the old 'it's disrespectful to the player and his club to be talking about contracted player like that, blah blah' - and at the end of the season they poach him and everyone acts all surprised. And when it's unlikely that the club will get the player, then it's all 'we'd love for him to be at our club'...

CaptainJayho

Senior List
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Bristol Rovers FC
Adam Treloar?
God I hope so. And if we're already after Dangerfield and Treloar we might as well get the rest of my Supercoach midfield in at KP as well while we're at it.

Looking forward to seeing Pendlebury, Fyfe, Kennedy, Gray, Swan and Hannebery fighting it out with Dangerfield and Treloar for possessions in our mid next year. Fortunately I ditched Selwood so that should at least free up a bit more salary cap for Scotty to play with...

Pretty expensive doughnuts, if you ask me :p
Three hot jam donuts on a cold day at Kardinia Park: $5

Brainwashing kids into supporting the Cats: priceless.

:D

Back