Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So everyone who was booing him have admitted they were being racist? Really?

For Christ sake, where did I say that everyone who boos him is a racist?

I said that a large part of the booing is due to racial or racist reasons - such as him being outspoken on Aboriginal affairs. His singling out of the teenage girl for calling him an ape, his acceptance speech of Australian of the year likening Australia day to Invasion day, his 'carrying on' over McGuire likening him to King Kong, the recent ejection of a fan for telling him to 'get back to the zoo' etc etc etc

Also this:

Sydney Swans star Adam Goodes' Wikipedia page was vandalised by racists who replaced pictures of him with chimpanzees.

Goodes' personal information was also changed, with the vandals using racial slurs to describe the champion player. The changes also included a 'date of death' for Goodes of May 30, 2015, and his honour as being named a member of the Indigenous team of the Century was changed to the 'Neanderthal team of the Century'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Sydney-Swans-win-Carlton.html#ixzz3hLQrqmBh

To say there isn't a racial element to the booing is either extreme denial, or evidence of something far worse.

Sure. Quotes pls

Read the thread.

So why is there no discussion in the media for the cause of the booing?
There has been. There have been people falling over themselves to highlight that this is all about Goodes' behaviour. Jones, Bolt, Pahni, and Brereton to name a few.

quitting cos getting booed? more like "I got toweled up by Brad ******* Shepherd, a 19y old first gamer and a guy named Sharrod. I need to give this s**t up and concentrate on golf"

Tough question. Afl have played it brilliantly. Tugging on the heart strings, being very United. Making Accusations. Only the strong will boo, but we're a weak sheep like society. So I think they will win
For you personally, is that a yes or no?

What's my purpose?
You've argued your point and then gone on to disparage the opinions of people who disagree with you no matter how well reasoned their position. Furthermore, you've taken the position that people who want to or will continue to boo Adam Goodes are trolls. I guess you conveniently ignore that Australians enjoy the right to freedom of expression and opinion. A boo is that right whether you like it or not.

From my observation, you're not interested in the opinions of others but confirming your own. I've read enough of your commentary to provide you with the courtesy that you're now on my ignore list.

How do we change our future? By no longer tolerating racist abuse from spectators for a start, and through education.

no one here is saying to tolerate it.

you poeple don't understand the problem. and you and goodes don't understand how people work.

you can't just can't order people around and expect them to follow what you say. most people will reject being told what to do even if they agree with what your telling them.

but if you don't believe me keeping barking at people telling them that they're wrong, i'm sure they'll come around

I never said everyone was a racist.

Isn't joining in with a practise that you know has a racial element a bit silly?
The part about joining in always makes me laugh. Some strange person posted yesterday that he/she had never boo-ed Goodes, but definitely planned to start on the general principal that the AFL shouldn't tell people what to do.

Loved it. So you assert your right to be individual and not be dictated to by anyone, and you do it by ... joining in with a mass tribe. Logic is awesome.

Reminds me of that bit in Monty Python Life of Brian "We are all individual"

I said that a large part of the booing is due to racial or racist reasons - such as him being outspoken on Aboriginal affairs. His singling out of the teenage girl for calling him an ape, his acceptance speech of Australian of the year likening Australia day to Invasion day, his 'carrying on' over McGuire likening him to King Kong, the recent ejection of a fan for telling him to 'get back to the zoo' etc etc etc

Also this:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Sydney-Swans-win-Carlton.html#ixzz3hLQrqmBh

To say there isn't a racial element to the booing is either extreme denial, or evidence of something far worse.

Read the thread.
Im not reading 8,000 posts again to go on a wild goose chase. Quote these admissions you claim are in this thread. Since you know which posts they are it wont take you long to find them.

You've argued your point and then gone on to disparage the opinions of people who disagree with you no matter how well reasoned their position. Furthermore, you've taken the position that people who want to or will continue to boo Adam Goodes are trolls. I guess you conveniently ignore that Australians enjoy the right to freedom of expression and opinion. A boo is that right whether you like it or not.

From my observation, you're not interested in the opinions of others but confirming your own. I've read enough of your commentary to provide you with the courtesy that you're now on my ignore list.
Ok, so pretty wide of the mark. My troll comment relates to the half dozen keyboard warriors making cyclical arguments and generally trying to upset people.

If you would like to make a case for why the booing shall continue I'm more than happy to hear it.

no one here is saying to tolerate it.

you poeple don't understand the problem. and you and goodes don't understand how people work.

you can't just can't order people around and expect them to follow what you say. most people will reject being told what to do even if they agree with what your telling them.

but if you don't believe me keeping barking at people telling them that they're wrong, i'm sure they'll come around
What about when he spoke to the 13 year old girl in question on the phone the next day and explained how her words had hurt him.

We thought we'd seen the end of it, and now her deadbeat mother comes out and says Goodes owes her an apology.

Did reasonable words help than?

I'm sick to death of this country right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will say this to just finish. If I for one second thought there was anything untoward in our crowd against any player, (Black, or White). I would be one of the first to alert stadium staff and security. I'd go as far to say, majority at all clubs would do the same.
Again im not calling you or anyone else racist. Reports say west coast fans alerted security to a few offensive people in the crowd. My argument is the booing is completely unjustified and is clearly affecting the man. Whether people are booing him for racial reasons or personal perceptions it has become something unseen in the game before.

For those not familiar with the nfl, google michael vick and his dog fighting ring. Here is a guy being tens of millions dollars, idolised by thousands and was running a dog fighting ring and was performing some of the most inhumane and cruel executions ever heard. He served his time and welcomed back into the nfl , back to earning millions with alot better treatment than what goodes has recieved.

Read that case about a fellow athlete and ask yourself " why am i booing adam"

Not necessarily. But in your case, almost certainly.
As expected. Unable to sustain a debate with rational thought and resort to personal attacks
I rest my case

The "mob" mentality IS alive and well ........you just proved it

Also this:

Read the thread.

I agree with you, calm down petal. I was merely saying to ManWithNoName that there's no proof that ALL of the booing is racially motivated. In fact there's no proof that any of it is actually, though I suspect some of it is.

The fact you've been at this for 300 pages indicates precisely your position.
So if I booed Adam Goodes - am I racist?
You've been here that long too. Does that mean we have the same position?

It doesn't necessarily mean you are a racist. However, having read through this thread and seen all the coverage you're now well aware that there any many who perceive the booing to be racial, including the player himself. Therefore if you were to continue the booing from this point it's demonstrating that you're OK with being associated with an activity others see as racial abuse.

Im not reading 8,000 posts again to go on a wild goose chase. Quote these admissions you claim are in this thread. Since you know which posts they are it wont take you long to find them.

Read them for yourself.

Are you saying none of the booing is racially motivated, and it's just sheer coincidence that its all connected to racial abuse, being outspoken on Aboriginal affairs, and the fact this thread is all about racial issues?

Or are you just being a dick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back