Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this post from a North fan on the Swans board. I didn't want to reply to North fan on the Sydney board and receive abuse, nor be construed as trolling and receive a ban from the Swans mods, so I post it here in the mega thread.

Mods, please delete if technically this against the rules to and you have an issue with me doing so.

When did Goodes say that?

This is a direct quote from his press conference the morning after in the MCG carpark:
That initial quote from Goodes appears at odds with your memory of it.
He thought she was a minor aged 14. It turned she was a minor aged 13.

There were plenty of people here on Big Footy (and on talkback radio) who didn't know the word "ape" had an historical racist connotation. That became pretty clear in the aftermath. Maybe it's a cultural thing here in Australia - a racist epithet that went out of vogue years ago.

I only learned that "ape" was a word used by racists when I was in my late teens and I started hearing about African soccer players copping it from fans in the European leagues. I heard plenty of derogatory words about aboriginals when I was growing up, but "ape" was never one of them. When I was young, calling someone an ape usually meant they were big and stupid.

More importantly, the 13yo Collingwood fan who called him an ape didn't understand the racial sensitivity of her actions. She was just a kid using a schoolyard taunt towards an opposition player. She apologised to Goodes afterwards for hurting his feelings and she explained she never meant anything racist by it.
You've argued your point and then gone on to disparage the opinions of people who disagree with you no matter how well reasoned their position. Furthermore, you've taken the position that people who want to or will continue to boo Adam Goodes are trolls. I guess you conveniently ignore that Australians enjoy the right to freedom of expression and opinion. A boo is that right whether you like it or not.

From my observation, you're not interested in the opinions of others but confirming your own. I've read enough of your commentary to provide you with the courtesy that you're now on my ignore list.
Booing is a behaviour not an exercise of a right to freedom of expression. Just like spitting.

And we have a mature national discussion on what racism really is.
Yep - for all its ugliness forums like this is where to get it out and stoush. Commend the mods for letting it go in here so, hopefully, it won't happen as much "out there".

Goodes is considering retiring. I can't stand some of his antics on the field and as a Hawthorn supporter I HATE the Swans but Jesus ..if this guy hangs up the boots over this it will be f&cked

Calls a black man an ape (lets not be stupid, she knew exactly what she called him) and complains about being called out on it.

Racists protecting racists: Australian culture right now.

well ignoring the fact that she was a minor and most legal jurustictions hold minors to a different level of accountability because they're young and stupid.

but that wasnt being called out. calling out is what eddie mguire did to that guy in the stands.

that was the eviction of a paying customer.

And unless those booing are listened to, and not being drowned out by the screams of "racist" the motivation of each individual remains in doubt
True. But I've listened to your thoughts on the matter, and for my part I don't have too many doubts about you

well after being humiliated on national tv i wouldn't be surprised if goodes' words went in one ear and out the other.
The very idea that a girl spewing racist slurs at a player, getting called out on it and shamed, and now doing fine in school, while Goodes is further vilified - deserves an apology does my head in.

She causes the problem, gets punished for it, then she's the victim, while the person who is the actual victim needs to apologise. Makes sense.

And say more about the person saying it that anything else
You get the backwards view here that Adam Goodes should be emotionally bulletproof because he is a professional sportsman. Or because of the money he earns.

Well, status, prestige, fame and health have NOTHING to do with emotional wellness. The fact is that such people can just as easily succumb to emotional ill-health as anyone else.

Just look at the number of well-known people who have gone to the ultimate extreme - I'll name Paul Hester as someone for people to look up as an example.

And here's another thing people - professional sportsman are different from one another. It doesn't matter how fit they are, how much sports psychology they go through, how much support they get, they all have different emotional makeups and emotional tolerance levels.

And another thing, which will come as a shock to some from what I have read - professional sportsmen have feelings. Amazing!!

In Goodes' case, he would be used to a certain level of booing and would be conditioned to it. But now it's gone up another level - it has become more concentrated, more consistent, certainly more vitriolic and more enduring (both during a game and on a week to week basis). And I think he put up with it for as long as he could and it has finally got to him. Almost like he is human.......

So now for me at least it is now it as much (if not more) a mental health issue as much as a racism one. It is about how the AFL community (INCLUDING the supporter base) deals with the mental health of one of its own.

In my personal view - if people continue to boo now, knowing that their actions are directly affecting the emotional wellbeing of an AFL player - well they are the lowest of the low and not worth projecting spittle thereon.

I'd ask them this question - is that how you conduct your personal life? Once you know your behaviour is negatively affecting the mental health of another, do you continue on with that behaviour?

Mens' mental health in this country is a major issue. There are well over 2000 suicides in this country and the majority (I can't be bothered looking it up, but probably in the vicinity of 80 percent) are male.

Therefore mens' mental health is inextricably related to Australian football, as it is a predominantly male sport. I know footballers myself who have taken their own life and I also now know of local level senior football clubs who have embraced the issue as the major problem it is.

And some of the stuff we are seeing here is one of the major problems which contributes. Mates rarely come up to another mate and admit they have problems. On the rare occasions they do, the responses often are "you'll be right mate", "toughen up", "get over it", "get on with it", "suck it up", etc. Once you know someone is struggling, it's an ineffective and quite likely counterproductive thing to say to them.

So, as the last few paragraphs relate to Goodes, I am not saying he is suicidal. But he is clearly struggling at a mental health level. So, whatever you may think of Goodes himself, for his welfare and for the welfare of those around him, it is time to back off. If you aren't prepared to do so, then your behaviour becomes totally and absolutely reflective of you as a person - and NOT about Adam Goodes.

The very idea that a girl spewing racist slurs at a player, getting called out on it and shamed, and now doing fine in school, while Goodes is further vilified - deserves an apology does my head in.

She causes the problem, gets punished for it, then she's the victim, while the person who is the actual victim needs to apologise. Makes sense.

There can be two victims. It is possible.

Im saying there is no proof any of the booing is racist. You are claiming there are admissions of people booing him because of racism in this thread but wont provide evidence to back up your claim.

Wouldn't the ejection of a few people saying racist things amongst the booing be that evidence?

Onto a winner when you're using Sam "Blackface" Newman and Andrew "I'll decide who's Aboriginal" Bolt to make your case this isn't about racism.
You forgot Alan "chaff bag/died of shame" Jones.

Hopefully the footy fans keep expressing themselves in any way they see fit. Australia is a free country, the last time I checked.
If people think Adam Goodes is a flog and they feel like booing him, then who the f**k is the AFL & media to tell us what we can and can't do? They're just parasites anyway. When was was the last time Gillon McLachlan, Andrew Pridham, Gerard Whateley or Mark Robinson paid their hard-earned cash to get into an AFL game? Flogs. If they played footy they'd probably get booed even more than Goodes.

It's laughable how they try to preach to the public about right and wrong after the s**t they've pulled over the Essendon peptides scandal.

I don't understand Goodes anyway. This is exactly what he wanted. He purposefully set out to be be an antagonist, to shed light on racism, to make people think, etc. He used his football platform to provoke a public reaction, but now he's upset because he's getting a few boos. A classic case of wanting your cake and eating it too. It just confirms he's a bit of a flog. If he wanted unqualified applause and pats on the back, then he should've smiled all the time like Brad Johnson and been a non-controversial football champion instead of doing war dances.

Only post that makes sense I have read

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh? You asked the question. I answered it based on the impression you've given in this and other threads.

If you ask me 'am I a racist' don't get pissed off when I answer.

Scream it loud enough people will believe you is that right?

Love that you feel it appropriate that you can call people racist based on an "Impression".
Those pesky facts just continually thwart and elude you, even after all these years,:rolleyes:

Oh and you are?

Typical leftie response - can't counter-argue a point made, attack the credibility of the the person making the point. Too bad you're an anonymous peasant with no obvious authority on the matter like the rest of us discussing the issue....

First you say "can't counter-argue a point made, attack the credibility of the the person making the point" then the next sentence you start with "Too bad you're an anonymous peasant".

Interesting.

. Had he wished to get the message across that racism is everywhere he need not have pointed and referred repeatedly to the individual. And why didn't he go the "racism is everywhere " line ....because it simply is not.

Laughably he's done more to get the message across that racism is indeed everywhere via this boo-ing thing.

If I ever needed proof I see it before me in this very thread.

Read this:

https://newmatilda.com/2015/06/01/n...hy-we-love-cathy-freeman-and-hate-adam-goodes

And unless those booing are listened to, and not being drowned out by the screams of "racist" the motivation of each individual remains in doubt

That's one thing that some aren't doing well in this debate, and that is not listening to the booers. They just brand them uneducated, racist, bogan, rednecks, morons, idiots and whatever else and dismiss them. If they wanted to do some good maybe they could discuss the issue and help enlighten them. Or they can just argue and insult and let me read the magic that ensues, either way!

The fact you've been at this for 300 pages indicates precisely your position.
So if I booed Adam Goodes - am I racist?
You personally? From what I have seen of your posting on this site over the years, I'd heavily lean towards "yes".

You get the backwards view here that Adam Goodes should be emotionally bulletproof because he is a professional sportsman. Or because of the money he earns.

Well, status, prestige, fame and health have NOTHING to do with emotional wellness. The fact is that such people can just as easily succumb to emotional ill-health as anyone else.

Just look at the number of well-known people who have gone to the ultimate extreme - I'll name Paul Hester as someone for people to look up as an example.

And here's another thing people - professional sportsman are different from one another. It doesn't matter how fit they are, how much sports psychology they go through, how much support they get, they all have different emotional makeups and emotional tolerance levels.

And another thing, which will come as a shock to some from what I have read - professional sportsmen have feelings. Amazing!!

In Goodes' case, he would be used to a certain level of booing and would be conditioned to it. But now it's gone up another level - it has become more concentrated, more consistent, certainly more vitriolic and more enduring (both during a game and on a week to week basis). And I think he put up with it for as long as he could and it has finally got to him. Almost like he is human.......

So now for me at least it is now it as much (if not more) a mental health issue as much as a racism one. It is about how the AFL community (INCLUDING the supporter base) deals with the mental health of one of its own.

In my personal view - if people continue to boo now, knowing that their actions are directly affecting the emotional wellbeing of an AFL player - well they are the lowest of the low and not worth projecting spittle thereon.

I'd ask them this question - is that how you conduct your personal life? Once you know your behaviour is negatively affecting the mental health of another, do you continue on with that behaviour?

Mens' mental health in this country is a major issue. There are well over 2000 suicides in this country and the majority (I can't be bothered looking it up, but probably in the vicinity of 80 percent) are male.

Therefore mens' mental health is inextricably related to Australian football, as it is a predominantly male sport. I know footballers myself who have taken their own life and I also now know of local level senior football clubs who have embraced the issue as the major problem it is.

And some of the stuff we are seeing here is one of the major problems which contributes. Mates rarely come up to another mate and admit they have problems. On the rare occasions they do, the responses often are "you'll be right mate", "toughen up", "get over it", "get on with it", "suck it up", etc. Once you know someone is struggling, it's an ineffective and quite likely counterproductive thing to say to them.

So, as the last few paragraphs relate to Goodes, I am not saying he is suicidal. But he is clearly struggling at a mental health level. So, whatever you may think of Goodes himself, for his welfare and for the welfare of those around him, it is time to back off. If you aren't prepared to do so, then your behaviour becomes totally and absolutely reflective of you as a person - and NOT about Adam Goodes.
I wonder how the men at Gallipoli dealt with mental health issues. I'm sure the Turks sent a few boo's and profanities at the Aussie soldiers. Some times Saying "Toughen up Pricess" is the appropriate response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back