2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

To add insult to injury Wodonga Saints 3rds had 7 kids sent off in the last quarter on Saturday.
Beechworth had none.

To add insult to injury Wodonga Saints 3rds had 7 kids sent off in the last quarter on Saturday.
Beechworth had none.

That's a poor reflection on the coach of the team and the club.

They've struggled for a long time, but are getting the dregs, and obviously have no money behind them, and money rules in country footy.

I live in Bendigo, and our urban area population is the same as Albury/Wodonga. We have five major league (Bendigo league) clubs, plus three minor league clubs in the Bendigo urban area.

It's similar to Albury/Wodonga. There are five O&M teams in the urban area and then you have Wodonga Saints and Thurgoona.

The major clubs here are spending minimum $10k a week on players, and one minor club I know is spending $12k a week. You're looking at $160k-$190k a season just for players. That's a lot of sponsorship dollars needed through the door before you even think about gate/grog/food and function dollars.

I'd certainly recommend Bethanga play in the Upper Murray comp, as that'd cut their money needed for players in half I'd reckon, as I couldn't see those clubs paying much more than $50k a year. I could be wrong though. It'd perhaps be a selling point to get a few older players to the club who are looking for a lower class of footy to end their careers, and they go from there. They could also raid some junior clubs offering quality kids $200-$300 a game who may only play O&M twos. Raid the university's. Obviously tough considering where they are at, and they have probably tried a lot of this.

4x$300, 4x$200, 4x$100, 10x$50 is $2,900 a week, $46.4k a season. Gotta start somewhere?? Hopefully they can work it out, but it's not looking good.

And obviously get the right people coaching their teams, as the U17 coach should be sacked on the spot if 7 kids did really get sent off in a game.

Sad to see clubs go under.

That's a poor reflection on the coach of the team and the club.

They've struggled for a long time, but are getting the dregs, and obviously have no money behind them, and money rules in country footy.

I live in Bendigo, and our urban area population is the same as Albury/Wodonga. We have five major league (Bendigo league) clubs, plus three minor league clubs in the Bendigo urban area.

It's similar to Albury/Wodonga. There are five O&M teams in the urban area and then you have Wodonga Saints and Thurgoona.

The major clubs here are spending minimum $10k a week on players, and one minor club I know is spending $12k a week. You're looking at $160k-$190k a season just for players. That's a lot of sponsorship dollars needed through the door before you even think about gate/grog/food and function dollars.

I'd certainly recommend Bethanga play in the Upper Murray comp, as that'd cut their money needed for players in half I'd reckon, as I couldn't see those clubs paying much more than $50k a year. I could be wrong though. It'd perhaps be a selling point to get a few older players to the club who are looking for a lower class of footy to end their careers, and they go from there. They could also raid some junior clubs offering quality kids $200-$300 a game who may only play O&M twos. Raid the university's. Obviously tough considering where they are at, and they have probably tried a lot of this.

4x$300, 4x$200, 4x$100, 10x$50 is $2,900 a week, $46.4k a season. Gotta start somewhere?? Hopefully they can work it out, but it's not looking good.

And obviously get the right people coaching their teams, as the U17 coach should be sacked on the spot if 7 kids did really get sent off in a game.

Sad to see clubs go under.

I think the suggestion to move out to Bethanga and play in the Upper Murray League has merit and I agree that it would reduce their commitments to match payments. It would also mean that the people heavily involved who obviously love the club can keep the club alive and in all honesty might be an attractive option for recruits due to the closer proximity to Albury Wodonga than the other Upper Murray clubs.

I reckon players would rather drive to Bethanga to train than up to Corryong or Walwa during June and July. LOL

It's their best option I reckon, and facilities must be ok if they are allowed to play a game or two at Bethanga already. Always enjoyed playing at Bethanga, although the changerooms with kindergarten seats and freezing showers every year weren't too great!!

Let's hope it works for them.

I reckon players would rather drive to Bethanga to train than up to Corryong or Walwa during June and July. LOL

It's their best option I reckon, and facilities must be ok if they are allowed to play a game or two at Bethanga already. Always enjoyed playing at Bethanga, although the changerooms with kindergarten seats and freezing showers every year weren't too great!!

Let's hope it works for them.
It's been a topic of discussion for a long time
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bring-back-bethanga.331649/page-2

Would love to hear someone from Wodonga Saints put their 2 bobs worth in on the matter :confused:

Would be interested to see who people think will poll well in the Barton Medal.

My top 5:
1. Jye Shields ( Kiwea )
2. Nathan Reynoldson ( Mitta )
3. Tim Brook ( Tallangatta )
4. Kayde Surrey ( Beechworth )
5. Mark Doolan ( Chiltern )

After today's article in the paper it reinforces my thoughts that I believe the Wodonga Saints should swallow their pride and move back out to Bethanga as part of the Upper Murray League. Talk about spin doctors. Monty said they have definitely improved but the scores would suggest they've done anything but that. They actually only have one margin under 100 points this year which was 94 against Dederang in Rd 8 who until the weekend had only won that game. Only on one other occasion was the margin under 150pts (140) and on 6 occasions they've lost by more than 200 including 300pts against Tallangatta in Rd 6. The average losing margin so far this year is 196pts.
Come on Sainters. Get real. You can keep going the way you are going and make it harder and harder to attract any new players and supporters or you can make a gutsy decision for the betterment of the club.
If you make the decision to move back out to your heartland I will personally buy a membership and I would like to ask all Bigfooty followers to do the same.

Last edited:
Would be interested to see who people think will poll well in the Barton Medal.

My top 5:
1. Jye Shields ( Kiwea )
2. Nathan Reynoldson ( Mitta )
3. Tim Brook ( Tallangatta )
4. Kayde Surrey ( Beechworth )
5. Mark Doolan ( Chiltern )

1. Jye Shields
2. Tim Brook
3. Terrence Jones
4. Jaise Coleman
5. Trent Castles

1.Mark Doolan
2.Terrance Jones
3.Aiden Brown
4.Jye Shields
5.Trent Castles

Always entertaining to see who does get all the votes unfortunately for the umpires they have to give votes as well as umpire. It's to much for them, & they have got it wrong in the past.

Went up the Valley yesterday to watch Mitta v Thurgoona and was not disappointed. Hard tough game of footy played in the right spirit, both sides had their chances the difference was Thurgoona took theirs, both teams also have large injury lists. Will be interesting to see if Tallangatta will even make finals now, drop a couple more & they'll be in real strife.
Good to see Kiewa get pushed right to the end, they are definitely beatable.
Looking forward to seeing how the final 5 will shape up.
Great competition.

So looks like Kiewa are pretty confident of winning they are resting players. Maybe Chiltern can cause a upset . What's going to happen at Wodonga Saints.? Who will coach them and will they stay in TDFL? Not sure if other clubs would like a bye or just keep on flogging them.

Just a little prediction fun as were getting to the pointy end of a long season and because I'm bored as hell

Premiers: Kiewa

Top 5: Kiewa, Chiltern, Thugoona Tallangatta, Rutherglen

Barton Medal: Jye Shields

Most improved side: Tallangatta

Best recruit: Tim Brook (Tallangatta)

Best player in the comp: Mark Doolan

Team of the year:
FB: Sam Bowler, Jeff Cox, Josh Star
HB: Jason Bartel, Matt Lee, Kayde Surrey
C: Sam Bowers, Jye Shields, Ben Patton
HF: Mark Doolan, Trent Castles, Nick Brockley
FF: Josh Spence, Guy Telford, Luke Bloom
FOLL: John Willis, Nathan Reynoldson, Tim Brook

INT: Dylan Pritchard, Terrance Jones, Ryan Wallace

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with the above comment about a coach having to bring at least 15 players with him if the saints are gunna inprove but who want to go there even if there best mate was coach would be extremely hard to get players to go there as its a woeful club with a woeful culture

Your mail saying Scott might walk ?
There are lots of people around the place commenting at how poor the culture is at Wodonga Saints but I wonder how many of you have actually bothered to find out or are just listening to all the ignorant people that make comments like this based on the past. I am not involved at the club but have been to a function and spoke to a lot of the players and club people and I saw no reason to think they had a poor culture. What sort of culture would you like; 15 blokes from outside Albury wodonga getting paid far to much to play for a couple of years then leave to do it again somewhere else. Where these players have no interest outside the 1sts. The rest of the side made up of locals that have busted there areses for the club and only get shown any real interest if they are going to leave. A culture where not only do you not see anyone from the committee you don't even know who they are.
I have been involved with a team that was in a far worse position than wodonga saints. With the support of local businesses and a few guys that after getting a lot out of footy decided to give something back the club took 3 years to see some real success.
There are a lot of people in the area that have taken a lot from football and are now happy to sit back at criticise. The saints can and should be a strong club.
It doesn't say much for the coaches in the area if 75% of there job is bringing players. sure the saints need players but there are plenty of local footballers out there that have got the ability. Maybe saints could be a truly local club. Play & pay locals. Get a coach that believes in their ability to coach without paying outsiders $1000+ a week of who knows how much for one off games. It would be a challange imagine the feeling when the club is up and going.

There are lots of people around the place commenting at how poor the culture is at Wodonga Saints but I wonder how many of you have actually bothered to find out or are just listening to all the ignorant people that make comments like this based on the past. I am not involved at the club but have been to a function and spoke to a lot of the players and club people and I saw no reason to think they had a poor culture. What sort of culture would you like; 15 blokes from outside Albury wodonga getting paid far to much to play for a couple of years then leave to do it again somewhere else. Where these players have no interest outside the 1sts. The rest of the side made up of locals that have busted there areses for the club and only get shown any real interest if they are going to leave. A culture where not only do you not see anyone from the committee you don't even know who they are.
I have been involved with a team that was in a far worse position than wodonga saints. With the support of local businesses and a few guys that after getting a lot out of footy decided to give something back the club took 3 years to see some real success.
There are a lot of people in the area that have taken a lot from football and are now happy to sit back at criticise. The saints can and should be a strong club.
It doesn't say much for the coaches in the area if 75% of there job is bringing players. sure the saints need players but there are plenty of local footballers out there that have got the ability. Maybe saints could be a truly local club. Play & pay locals. Get a coach that believes in their ability to coach without paying outsiders $1000+ a week of who knows how much for one off games. It would be a challange imagine the feeling when the club is up and going.

Sadly the issue is that barely anyone wants to go there and this season has made it even worse with a near 200 point average losing margin.
In their whole history they have only had a very small period of success. It seems like they are forever fighting a losing battle.
From what I've read most people admire the hard working Saints committee but have actually suggested that they need to either make a move from Martin Park out to Bethanga again or go into recess until something happens out at Baranduda.

Sadly the issue is that barely anyone wants to go there and this season has made it even worse with a near 200 point average losing margin.
In their whole history they have only had a very small period of success. It seems like they are forever fighting a losing battle.
From what I've read most people admire the hard working Saints committee but have actually suggested that they need to either make a move from Martin Park out to Bethanga again or go into recess until something happens out at Baranduda.

Or they could stay and someone could show some real courage and conviction and put thier hand up to coach. We have all played in teams were either for a game or a season we where not supposed to do well but have got up and surprised everyone.
It is easy to look at the problem and walk away. Why not be part of the solution. If I had any football/coaching ability or some cash I would love to get onboard and be apart of something that could really work.
You just need the right leaders and people will join in.

Or they could stay and someone could show some real courage and conviction and put thier hand up to coach. We have all played in teams were either for a game or a season we where not supposed to do well but have got up and surprised everyone.
It is easy to look at the problem and walk away. Why not be part of the solution. If I had any football/coaching ability or some cash I would love to get onboard and be apart of something that could really work.
They had a coach.... Terry Burgess.
Say what you like about the man, but no one in their right mind wanted to coach the saints when he got there.
A coach who worked his ass off to take them from irrelevance (exactly where they are at now) to a very competitive side in a couple of years, and all for what ? To be shown the door by the committee, To make way for a "better option".
The saints committee had a number of options at the end of last season, they made there choices and decisions.
Now they are living them.

I agree with what you say but the fact is it's easier said than done. Unfortunately the Saints don't have the support to raise funds to not only make it work in the short term but to make it work for a sustained period. Until the opportunity comes up to move out to Baranduda I think they are fighting (very hard mind you) a losing battle. The Saints need a community to support them and this is one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle that is missing.

They had a coach.... Terry Burgess.
Say what you like about the man, but no one in their right mind wanted to coach the saints when he got there.
A coach who worked his ass off to take them from irrelevance (exactly where they are at now) to a very competitive side in a couple of years, and all for what ? To be shown the door by the committee, To make way for a "better option".
The saints committee had a number of options at the end of last season, they made there choices and decisions.
Now they are living them.
I have know idea what happened with Terry and Saints and without knowing the full and truth about what happen I am not going to comment, but you are right he is a bloody good coach. But they are not the first club to let a good coach go.

I agree with what you say but the fact is it's easier said than done. Unfortunately the Saints don't have the support to raise funds to not only make it work in the short term but to make it work for a sustained period. Until the opportunity comes up to move out to Baranduda I think they are fighting (very hard mind you) a losing battle. The Saints need a community to support them and this is one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle that is missing.
I agree getting community support is what they need and that is why it is not helpful having people that know nothing about the club making statements about its culture. These statements could be said about any club and in fact I have heard plenty of comments about the culture of the other 2 Wodonga sides, and let's just say they where not overly positive comments.
Maybe a Matt Pendagast or the like could take on the job. He is a very well respected football person and has proven he can coach. What is Mark Armond doing next year?
Get the right coach and not the most expensive, look at some of the O&M thirds and reserves guys that don't have the right surname or the reputation to be considered as senior footballers (there are plenty out there). I don't know what the clubs finances are like.
They would be a great club to sponsor because any signage would be seen every weekend by TDFL and O&M. Not other minor league team offers that.

The culture might be fine lostitsway, but the fact is the club isn't sustainable in Wodonga.
I've unfortunately watch two of their games this year & apart from the 15 supporters they bought to the game, they don't have a lot going for them!
I've heard comments from a few players at various clubs say they are a waste of time. Harsh I know but surely if they went out Bethanga played in the Upper Murray built themselfs up abit & when Baranduda is ready come back & have a crack at Tallangatta league.
I like you're ideas but it's so hard to recruit players to a mid table club let alone a club that loses by 200+ each week!
Anyway
Big week this week 3 weeks out from finals.
Who's everyone's top 5??

The culture might be fine lostitsway, but the fact is the club isn't sustainable in Wodonga.
I've unfortunately watch two of their games this year & apart from the 15 supporters they bought to the game, they don't have a lot going for them!
I've heard comments from a few players at various clubs say they are a waste of time. Harsh I know but surely if they went out Bethanga played in the Upper Murray built themselfs up abit & when Baranduda is ready come back & have a crack at Tallangatta league.
I like you're ideas but it's so hard to recruit players to a mid table club let alone a club that loses by 200+ each week!
Anyway
Who's everyone's top 5??

My point exactly.

Anyway
Who's everyone's top 5??

According to the ladders the netballers are going well. Unfortunately I don't reckon the TDFL would let them back in if they left to go to upper Murray and tried to come back.
Thurgoona have been in a similar position and Myrtleford are not traveling all that well.

According to the ladders the netballers are going well. Unfortunately I don't reckon the TDFL would let them back in if they left to go to upper Murray and tried to come back.
Thurgoona have been in a similar position and Myrtleford are not traveling all that well.
Having been to a couple of Wodonga Bulldogs home games this year they are struggling to draw a crowd being a competitive team so what chance do the poor old Sainters have? Unfortunately District clubs do struggle in towns that have major clubs mainly due to a lack of supporters, sponsorships, finances that the major clubs have a hold of. With a possible relocation to Baranduda that's at least a decade away and at the moment there is no suitable venue for them to move out there even in the medium term. The council has no money and the cricket ground out there is suited to cricket and Wodonga Storm rugby league use it in the winter. As for the netballers, footy clubs need to survive for them to run around on a Saturday, no good having a netball club and no footy club. Good luck to sainters in 2016

P
Having been to a couple of Wodonga Bulldogs home games this year they are struggling to draw a crowd being a competitive team so what chance do the poor old Sainters have? Unfortunately District clubs do struggle in towns that have major clubs mainly due to a lack of supporters, sponsorships, finances that the major clubs have a hold of. With a possible relocation to Baranduda that's at least a decade away and at the moment there is no suitable venue for them to move out there even in the medium term. The council has no money and the cricket ground out there is suited to cricket and Wodonga Storm rugby league use it in the winter. As for the netballers, footy clubs need to survive for them to run around on a Saturday, no good having a netball club and no footy club. Good luck to sainters in 2016
people aren't going to watch the Bulldogs because nobody wants to see a side win the game with 10 goals due to the way the Bulldogs play. On the topic of Saints I'm hearing someone who is involved at an O and M Club has put their hand up to Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back