Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, whats your point exactly?

Because you're a descended from a refugee family (whom were all living in Austria during colonization of Australia) and only came here after the dispossession of Aboriginal people was completed, it's totally fine for you to accept all the advantages of this new nation, without having to even acknowledge the past wrongs and dispossession (and current problems that flow from it) that led to your ability to enjoy that very freedom in the first place?

That's your point?
Is this bloke for real?

I'll tell you about forced dispossession. When we went though the process of reclaiming nationality and purchasing a residence in CR it was a legal mine field. At issue was you could purchase the title of a property, but the title could be challenged. If someone could prove it was their house and taken from them (i.e. by communist bastards or nazis) they could go to court and take your house with no compensation to you. Ever been through the process of studying the history of title changes and having a freak out when the title owner changed to a Russian sounding name?

And on this side of the world I have some yahoo trying to explain dispossession to me.

What a deliciously black and white world you live in.

Btw, I support the legal process of claiming native title through courts. There's a spanner in the works - that was supposed to be a tool in your arsenal. :drunk:

No, my opinions are shaped on the evidence of thine own senses....But I won't presume to suggest to you what yours are based on....Given we've never met.

Try not too drink too much media-kool-aid now.;)

I don't know why you get so upset by the media then. Turn it off.

I dont even know what kool aid is and I've never bothered to google the reference.

She was obviously poorly brought up. She isn't a child. Without this incident it doesn't blow up though does it. That is the bottom line.
Yea, judging by the bile emanating from the mouths of some of the ideological demagogue's in this thread there are heaps of poorly brought up anonymous adults as well. Some of them come across as worse than the purported racists they attack.

Also because the booing didn't last this long. I think after the whole Malthouse thing everyone was more annoyed with Mick than Milne.

Are you kidding me? It went on for 10 years!
My sister barracks for the Saints and every time we went to the footy together I had to tell blokes to pull up for saying stuff in front of her kids.
It was relentless with Milne and it was much longer than the Goodes stuff.
And not a word from the media, AFLPA, AFL or dare I say it the Sydney Swans. Aren't they the morale compass on life in the AFL?
Where was the concern for Milne, his family and his state of mind?
Where was the concern for the workplace bullying he was subjected too.

(Footnote: Do not assume for one second I think the little creep was innocent, I just am curious to the double standard being applied to Milne and say Daw or Lovett. And you could throw Burgoyne and O'Loughlin in there too).

My sister barracks for the Saints and every time we went to the footy together I had to tell blokes to pull up for saying stuff in front of her kids.
And not a word from the media, AFLPA, AFL or dare I say it the Sydney Swans. Aren't they the morale compass on life in the AFL?

(Footnote: Do not assume for one second I think the little creep was innocent, I just am curious to the double standard being applied to Milne and say Daw or Lovett. And you could throw Burgoyne and O'Loughlin in there too).

Milne is not Aboriginal so no one cares

Andrew Lovett never played a game of AFL after he was charged with rape. So there was no opportunity for a crowd to boo him.

He did after he nearly killed his girlfriend (allegedly) in the car driving around Melbourne with a knife to her throat because she tried to break up with him.
He was charged for this too.

Anyways, I don't really know what the right answer to this whole thing is, it's obviously complex. Only thing I can say is if you're going to boo him, reflect on why you're going to do it - if it's about how he plays his game then boo to your hearts content... But if on thinking about it you realise there's maybe a racial component to it, & that's a harsh realisation to deal with because no one wants to label themselves a racist... Then maybe reassess your own personal beliefs & actions.

Good advice. :thumbsu:

I'll tell you about forced dispossession. When we went though the process of reclaiming nationality and purchasing a residence in CR it was a legal mine field. At issue was you could purchase the title of a property, but the title could be challenged. If someone could prove it was their house and taken from them (i.e. by communist bastards or nazis) they could go to court and take your house with no compensation to you. Ever been through the process of studying the history of title changes and having a freak out when the title owner changed to a Russian sounding name?

So your family fled from this forced dispossession... to Australia where you can benefit from forced dispossession?

Lol. 'The Nazis are bad for forced dispossession... but its OK in Australia'

I didn't even release he had been playing for 10 years after the allegations first surfaced. If so I don't condone that behaviour and I certainly wouldn't use what happened to Milne as justification for what is happening to Goodes.

Secondly I did watch the prelims and grand finals when the Saints were flying and all the eagles v saints game from about 2010 onwards and the booing was no way near as pronounced as it was in the Eagles v Swans game just passed. It was incredible just how noticeable it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me clear the air, I can't blame him or any other player for disliking a boo/jeer; can't be nice when tens of thousands of people are doing it. But to suggest tens of thousands of people are doing it for racial reasons just seams unrealistic to me.

This is a serious question and I legitimately want to know your viewpoint on this.

If tens of thousands aren't booing Goodes for racial reasons, why are they?

If you genuinely believe it's because he's 'dirty/plays for free kicks/a sniper' or something along those lines, why don't the likes of Sam Mitchell, Steve Johnson, Hayden Ballantyne and Lindsay Thomas (among many others) get booed every time they get the ball? All of those players are very widely disliked by opposition supporters yet none cop the week-in, week-out vitriolic abuse Goodes receives.

But if you think he is booed because 'he embarrassed that 13 year old girl' or 'his Australian of the Year speech was offensive,' these concepts in themselves are inherently racist. Goodes standing up for himself and his people by calling out that girl is one of the best moments I've ever seen on a footy field; and should be remembered as a watershed moment a la Nicky Winmar.

Steve Price dared to claim on The Project the other night that booing Goodes isn't racist, but when asked why he is booed he responded 'because he parades his Indigenous heritage.' I honestly can't believe he cannot see the correlation between the two. If you boo someone because 'they parade their Indigenous/African-American/Indian/whatever heritage,' you are racist. End of story.

This thread is weird.

The bit of all of this that surprises me is that people are bothered by the suggestion by media, AFL, or some nebulous group that they are "racist".

Does that really worry you? It doesn't worry me. Because I am racist. It is human nature to categorise, generalise, label. Generalising and categorising is what allows communication and is a semiotic principle that allows for common language.

I am a racist because, try as I might to address it and challenge it, there are still times when I am a product of my upbringing, experience and education. I hopped in a taxi earlier and find myself instinctively thinking "whew" when I saw the driver was white rather than Asian or African - so obviously there won't be language issues that make directions complicated. That instinct that makes me see a brown or black skin and assume, prior to finding out, that the person may not speak English well, is racism. It's me generalising about someone's language skills, ability to do a job etc. based on their ethnic appearance.

People are sexist when they roll their eyes and say "Women!" or "Men!" or whatever. I'm guilty of any number of generalisations, assumptions and occasional shoddy actions as a result.

Ever found yourself on a tram etc and there are a couple of spare seats and without thinking go for one further away? I have. No harm in that, no crime, but it is worth having a quick look at yourself to work out what made you sit next to the white guy as opposed to the Chinese man etc. we generalise and categorise all the time. That's why I find it strange that people say they aren't racist or 'don't have a racist bone in their body'. I do. I try to challenge my racist bones to start addressing my lazy thought habits. And I certainly try hard not to exclude or vilify on the basis of race. And if I did something unintentional but was asked by a person not to do it because, regardless of my intentions, the person felt racially vilified, I would stop. I would probably say sorry for the unintended offence.

I have a lurking potential for racism. I can't read minds, but I suspect I'm not alone. I find viewing it for what is is my best chance to challenge or eradicate it. I don't want to lose a battle like that. So if Goodes wants to draw attention to a history that still oppresses Aboriginal Australians today, I'm happy to listen and think. Hey, maybe I can learn too. I might even say cheers.

I don't mind when AFL / media / 'PC thought police' tell me what to do in respect of booing a person relentlessly regardless of the current play, because if my bit of harmless tribal fun could seriously hurt others, I say fine. I'll give it a burl.

Saw the mother on tv last night.

Suddenly it all made sense......

You are extremity bigoted mate.
She was obviously poorly brought up. She isn't a child. Without this incident it doesn't blow up though does it. That is the bottom line.

Answer the question
"But do you really think she thinks that she is a superior race to others? ie a racist?"

A

apologies.....Invasion day! That is what I was thinking of. I came from another country to help build this one, so I guess I invaded??. I don't get it.

Cheers Hoochy .....this one?

"There was a lot of anger, a lot of sorrow, for this day and very much the feeling of invasion day," he said.

But in the last five years, I've really changed my perception of what is Australia Day, of what it is to be Australian and for me, it's about celebrating the positives, that we are still here as indigenous people, our culture is one of the longest surviving cultures in the world, over 40,000 years.

That is something we need to celebrate and all Australians need to celebrate.

"There are people out there thinking that today is a great day for Australia - well, it is."

Last edited:
So your family fled from this forced dispossession... to Australia where you can benefit from forced dispossession?

Lol. 'The Nazis are bad for forced dispossession... but its OK in Australia'
I support native title. I doubt it would apply to this house though, unless the high court wants to order a forced conversion back to a swamp. :drunk:

BOOOOOOO!

Stop complaining about what happened. You're making the Germans today feel bad about what the Nazi's did a hundred years ago.

I support native title. I doubt it would apply to this house though, unless the high court wants to order the Earth movers in and order it be converted back to a swamp. :drunk:

So you don't know what Native Title is either.
Stop already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back