Preview R18: Changes v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't stand people who think Danger is overrated. Yes, his disposal can be questionable after he's extracted the pill from 3 opposition players. Reality is, any other player on our list (and essentially in the competition) wouldn't win the bloody ball in the first place. He's clearly in the top 5 players in the comp - Fyfe is the only one capable of doing some of the freakish things he does on a regular basis.
Oh I agree. It's not me who thinks these things. :)

Acctually he's a very astute observer of the game. Loves how he gets the footy, hates how he disposes of it. No point in getting the pill if you just cough it up to the opposition. He kind of has a point.

On that point though and I have had endless debates with a mate of mine on this. I agree that Danger isn't the best ball user out there, but I've watched a lot of Fyfe this year and his ball use is no better than Dangerfield's.

I think the reality is that we're harsher on our own than others are.

Acctually he's a very astute observer of the game. Loves how he gets the footy, hates how he disposes of it. No point in getting the pill if you just cough it up to the opposition. He kind of has a point.
I love Danger but have to agree with hubby regarding the rating of him because of the amount of times he turnovers the ball even when broken clear .
His effort cannot be questioned but to put him in top dozen players in league like many vic. scribes do , you only have to look at creative most stars of every team are compared to Paddy who gives ball to opposition almost 50 % of time .
But certainly don't want to lose him of course .

He gives the ball to the opposition almost 50% of the time? He's ranked by Champion Data in the top 3 players in the league. The algorithm Champion Data uses, most certainly takes into account the effectiveness of a players possessions, and deducts points for turnovers. So he must be getting the ball about 100 times a match if he's still ranked 3rd, and turning the ball over almost 50% of the time. I'm not saying he doesn't turn the ball over, but almost 50% of the time?

Overrated or underrated, he's still far and away our best player. Only the people who absolutely love Betts or Sloane could possibly disagree with that.

I think Lynch is sometimes underrated.

There is only ONE forward in the AFL averaging 18+ disposals, 6+ marks and 1+ goal per game in Season 2015.

It's not Nick Riewoldt, or Lance Franklin, or Jarryd Roughead, or even Jack Gunston.

It's Tom Lynch.

Lynch averages 18.1 disposals (12.6 kicks), 6.8 marks, 1.3 goals, 4.1 inside-50s, 84.3 DT and 84.8 SC, roaming up the ground as our third tall forward.

He's had fewer than 10 kicks on only one occasion and been a multiple goal kicker 6 times.

Danger's DE is around the mark for the other top tier contested ball winners in the comp. Last time I checked it was below Gray, Fyfe, & Priddis and higher or about the same as Parker, Cotchin, Kennedy, & Cunnington. Anyone suggesting he's overrated should start by listing midfielders better than him. If they start getting to far beyond Ablett or Fyfe then they're kidding themselves.

There is only ONE forward in the AFL averaging 18+ disposals, 6+ marks and 1+ goal per game in Season 2015.

It's not Nick Riewoldt, or Lance Franklin, or Jarryd Roughead, or even Jack Gunston.

It's Tom Lynch.

Lynch averages 18.1 disposals (12.6 kicks), 6.8 marks, 1.3 goals, 4.1 inside-50s, 84.3 DT and 84.8 SC, roaming up the ground as our third tall forward.

He's had fewer than 10 kicks on only one occasion and been a multiple goal kicker 6 times.
He's number 1 in the comp for Goal Assists as well, he'd be up there for a "score involvements not including own scores" statistic.

It's Tom Lynch.

He's number 1 in the comp for Goal Assists as well, he'd be up there for a "score involvements not including own scores" statistic.

Spot on boys :thumbsu:

I've been preaching this ever since his breakout year in 2013. He is almost THE perfect lead up 3rd tall to have in your side, players the role perfectly. Just which he had a touch more pace to him, that would be great.

But yet no matter what he does, people still want him dropped and think he doesn't warrant a place in our side. Baffling really. The numbers speak themselves...

Spot on boys :thumbsu:

I've been preaching this ever since his breakout year in 2013. He is almost THE perfect lead up 3rd tall to have in your side, players the role perfectly. Just which he had a touch more pace to him, that would be great.

But yet no matter what he does, people still want him dropped and think he doesn't warrant a place in our side. Baffling really. The numbers speak themselves...

Some of his disposals can be really iffy. Which is why people want him dropped. Clean up those disposals and he has nothing to worry about.

Great work, Kraven.

I had a dig through the player stats and the only guy (of any position) I can find that matches Lynch's 18 possessions/6 marks/1 goal a game is Deledio.

There must be others?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are far too many posters getting Talia's name wrong on this board... so it is not just you... but would appreciate if his name is spelt correctly.

The All Australian CHB deserves the respect of having his name spelt right.
Misspelt names is a pet peeve of mine, McKay seems to be a poplar one on this board. It's Mackay people! I've also seen Louden, Tahlia and Sloan. :drunk:

Be interesting to see whether Sloane is no longer the best Rory in the team..
Nothing against Sloane, I love the bloke and the way he goes about it but Laird is becoming equally impressive and could end up the better player the way he is heading
srs? I think after his long lay off, people have forgotten just how good Sloane is.

Premiere? Mm maybe not

He's as consistent and hard working as they come just doesn't have the flare of Ablett, Fyfe, Danger, Swan/Pendles or a Parker. Don't get me wrong I'm willing to admit I'm wrong about him being an A grader but I just believe they're slightly ahead.
Yeah that's fair enough, I probably wouldn't have him in the top echelon of the comp but he's definitely elite.

Last edited:

It's Tom Lynch.

Is that you ACP?

Could live with that. As long as one of Hendo, Dmac or Martin are the sub.

Hendos standing in front of oncoming traffic are safe but that's not what Hendos are built for.

Rumour on 5AA

In: Talia, M Crouch, Lyons
Out: Shaw, Wright, Atkins
Wouldn't be unhappy with those changes, I'd still like to see Shaw given a chance as a flanker instead of KPD so would rather see DMac out. Crouch and Lyons in for Wright and the Rat makes sense though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back