Mega Thread Adam Goodes (Trolls will be carded - read OP!)

http://www.afr.com/opinion/columns/...st-not-swans-star-adam-goodes-20150729-gimzoq

Great pic to go with another sensible article.
1438160277913.jpg

Jun 23, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
La Lakers
Hey guys, sorry for intruding. While I don't agree that all booing of him is racial related, it has gotten to the point where the dislike/hatred has gone too far. I've never really booed him much and I don't dislike him really but I won't be booing him again if he takes the field. At the end of the day, he's a human being and it's not healthy for anyone for people to hang onto hatred, especially hatred that is clearly affecting Adam Goodes. Our players at Hawthorn have made a video about showing respect and it would seem from the amount of positive comments on that video, that people are realising we have gone too far and the tide is turning. I would have posted this on the main board but I cbf dealing with the trolls and garbage responses. Anyway at the end of the day, hopefully the sentiments towards him will change and he will take the field again.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Hey guys, sorry for intruding. While I don't agree that all booing of him is racial related, it has gotten to the point where the dislike/hatred has gone too far. I've never really booed him much and I don't dislike him really but I won't be booing him again if he takes the field. At the end of the day, he's a human being and it's not healthy for anyone for people to hang onto hatred, especially hatred that is clearly affecting Adam Goodes. Our players at Hawthorn have made a video about showing respect and it would seem from the amount of positive comments on that video, that people are realising we have gone too far and the tide is turning. I would have posted this on the main board but I cbf dealing with the trolls and garbage responses. Anyway at the end of the day, hopefully the sentiments towards him will change and he will take the field again.
Thanks for posting.
I actually believe what happened in the past is irrelevant. It's what happens from here on that matters.

Coming here and sharing your thoughts are really appreciated. My respect for your club has grown.

Great to see other clubs going out of their way to support adam and help put a stop to the nonsense....as much as it pains me to say.....well done to the hawthorn footy club

The numpties are slowly getting backed into a corner.
Only a matter of time before Alan Jones, Neil Mitchell, Miranda Devine, Rita Panahi and Andrew Bolt turn on them... they will be that confused it just might stop the booing.

desafinado74

Senior List
Jun 4, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Newcastle United (Toon Army)
The numpties are slowly getting backed into a corner.
Only a matter of time before Alan Jones, Neil Mitchell, Miranda Devine, Rita Panahi and Andrew Bolt turn on them... they will be that confused it just might stop the booing.

They will be shouting "Political correctness gone mad" !

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
But you have booed! Full rehabilitation is only achieved when you stop booing anyone...good luck!

CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
Popped in here to see how you guys're responding to this and also to offer my support to Goodes.

This booing saga has been shameful, and the feeble attempts to explain why it's "not racist" are pathetic.

If anything it's shone a light on some very dark places in the psyche of the footballing public. The AFL has rightly been lauded for it's support of aboriginal footballers, and the fan base have basked in this to a certain degree.

However, the fact that Goodes has taken a stance that makes some Australians uncomfortable, has made him a target of such vitriol as opposed to him being aboriginal. We prefer Uncle Tom's than Malcolm X's.

I certainly hope this doesn't end his career (despite him nearing the end) because as far as I'm concerned he's one of the greatest footballers ever to pull on a pair of boots.

His detractors focus on sniping, staging etc, which over a 350+ game career of brilliance, aren't the things that I recall about Goodes.

If our game against you in a coupla weeks was here in Melbourne, I'd go and cheer as vociferously as the booers every time he touched the ball.

Such a champion of our great game deserves our respect*

*not to mention his outstanding community work and defender of his people.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Some on the main board have even taken to quoting Sam Newman saying it's not related to race.

I mean... THIS GUY????????????????
View attachment 157619

WTF????

Now I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Newman but I have to say a lot of his points are in line with public sentiment. I haven't liked Goodes for years and that stems from little things he has done on the field that I didn't like. I also have numerous other players that I have hated for the exact same things, I have never once booed Goodes or these other players but if I did, I would be offended at being called a racist (which I would be) because of my booing. Just like 'black' people don't like being generalised and take offence, I don't like being generalised into a group of 'European people' who invaded Australia, I was not a part of that yet Goodes implies that I am, that to me is offensive.

As for the black face situation, humour is in a variety of tastes. Some are all for this type of humour, while others aren't, but those that are should not be punished for it when it is not infact taking the piss out of 'black' people...yes when it was first introduced it was making fun of them no doubt, now it isn't though. Now black face is on the same level as white face to me. Yes, people have been using the argument of white chicks and how that isn't racist, yet black face is, sadly the majority can't express that opinion correctly. In white chicks the Wayan brothers were clearly taking the piss out of 'white' women as a generalisation, just as black face was originally taking the piss out of African Americans. To me both were gross hyperbole that should never have been taken serious and instead viewed as humour, despite some people not being a fan of it.

Sorry to intrude but,
Just thought i'd post this on here cause the main board thread just has too much nonsense and bullshit posts on it and actually liked reading most of you guys' comments on here..

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Now I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Newman but I have to say a lot of his points are in line with public sentiment. I haven't liked Goodes for years and that stems from little things he has done on the field that I didn't like. I also have numerous other players that I have hated for the exact same things, I have never once booed Goodes or these other players but if I did, I would be offended at being called a racist (which I would be) because of my booing. Just like 'black' people don't like being generalised and take offence, I don't like being generalised into a group of 'European people' who invaded Australia, I was not a part of that yet Goodes implies that I am, that to me is offensive.

As for the black face situation, humour is in a variety of tastes. Some are all for this type of humour, while others aren't, but those that are should not be punished for it when it is not infact taking the piss out of 'black' people...yes when it was first introduced it was making fun of them no doubt, now it isn't though. Now black face is on the same level as white face to me. Yes, people have been using the argument of white chicks and how that isn't racist, yet black face is, sadly the majority can't express that opinion correctly. In white chicks the Wayan brothers were clearly taking the piss out of 'white' women as a generalisation, just as black face was originally taking the piss out of African Americans. To me both were gross hyperbole that should never have been taken serious and instead viewed as humour, despite some people not being a fan of it.

Sorry to intrude but,
Just thought i'd post this on here cause the main board thread just has too much nonsense and bullshit posts on it and actually liked reading most of you guys' comments on here..

People have booed Goodes in the past and it was fine. Maybe not to everybody's tastes, but nobody claimed it was race related. It's the fact that it's escalated since using his profile as a dual Brownlow medalist and AOTY to call out racism, both in the AFL specifically and Australia generally, that is attracting anger and accusations of racism. Because let's face it, it is. Who the hell would be offended by an indigenous person standing up for equality, who on earth would feel threatened by that, bar racists?

People booing Goodes because of his profile as an activist are racist. Simple. If you were booing Goodes way back, or just didn't like him, fine. You should hate these more recent, racist booers, because they've made it impossible for normal people like you to dislike Goodes for being a stager or whatever.

Back