Sam Mitchell Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hello all,
I don't think I've made a thread on this board since "Buddy's developing place on the All Time ladder" and the less said about that the better. Now, in the still awesome twilight of his career and amidst external criticism (cos some pansy got a corky) I believe its time to honour my favourite (and the best) Hawk in an amazing era (cos waiting till retirement lessens the fun and doesn't do justice given how good he has and continues to be).

In a similar vein to that "other thread" I plan to update his achievements as he continues to forge them:

Sam Mitchell:

276 games (# 7 at Hawthorn)
4 Best and Fairests (equal #2 at Hawthorn)
3 Premierships
3 x All Australian
178 Brownlow votes (#1 Hawthorn, #8 All Time)

So, here's to Sam Mitchell, the best Hawthorn midfielder I've seen. (Others can feel free to add/update whatever they like)

Last edited:
A few more :) (Updated after H&A 2015)

#10 All Time Disposals (this season gone past Greg Williams, Andrew McLeod, Gary Ablett Jnr, Shane Crawford, Nathan Buckley and Paul Roos to name a few.)
#2 All Time Clearances (overtook Chris Judd before he retired)
#4 Contested Possessions (gone past Lenny Hayes and Adam Goodes this year)
#4 Uncontested Possessions (ahead of Simon Black and Lenny Hayes)
# 6 Handballs
#10 Goal Assists
(just past Simon Black and Paul Chapman to enter top 10)
# 16 Tackles (past Ablett, Hayes and Cornes)
# 17 inside 50's (equal with Luke Power, Buckley next at 19)

Ridiculous really.

Last edited:

My favourite player, always has been even in the Buddy years! Many predicted his form would slide this year because of his age but the great man has been playing better than ever. Dreading the day when retirement comes round, gonna be absolutely devo!

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players.html

Some good stats here for the great man! My favourite is clearances where Sammy is number 2 all time and on track to be number 1 if he plays a couple more years. Also number 5 all time for contested possessions and will probably move to number 4 against the tigers (behind GAJ, Judd and Black).

The best player of our current premiership era.
Needs 7 more Brownlow votes to move into outright 6th. Incredible effort for some one who has never won one (officially).
This puts him just behind Matthews, making them the only two in the top ten never to win a Brownlow.

Last edited:
Sam Mitchell is one of only four players to have had over 30 disposals 100 times. The others are Robert Harvey, Gary Ablett Jnr and Dane Swan.
This one is massive for mine.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello all,
I don't think I've made a thread on this board since "Buddy's developing place on the All Time ladder" and the less said about that the better. Now, in the still awesome twilight of his career and amidst external criticism (cos some pansy got a corky) I believe its time to honour my favourite (and the best) Hawk in an amazing era (cos waiting till retirement lessens the fun and doesn't do justice given how good he has and continues to be).

In a similar vein to that "other thread" I plan to update his achievements as he continues to forge them:

Sam Mitchell:

276 games (# 7 at Hawthorn)
4 Best and Fairests (equal #2 at Hawthorn)
3 Premierships
2 x All Australian
178 Brownlow votes (#1 Hawthorn, #8 All Time)

So, here's to Sam Mitchell, the best Hawthorn midfielder I've seen. (Others can feel free to add/update whatever they like)
Too slow. No defensive side to his game

Looking forward to his 300th game next year. Hopefully we'll still be in the position to be able to rest him in the lead up if necessary so that he can do it in front of a big MCG home crowd rather than away at Spotless stadium or something crap like that.

Yep, and with respect to Robert Harvey and Dane Swan (both great footballers), only GAJ compares in terms of ball use.

Would you maybe agree that Sams ball use is slightly more effective than GAJ?

I cant find the efficiency stats but I thought GAJ burnt the ball a little more than Sam does.

At the end of the day both are outstanding footballers and we are all very fortunate to have seen them in action.

I don't know if this allowed, here. But doesn't all this creditable information on Sam, raise the question: Why does that other person get all the preferential treatment, while Sam, with his knee issues continually being raised, get treated like a criminal out on bail?

Would you maybe agree that Sams ball use is slightly more effective than GAJ?

I cant find the efficiency stats but I thought GAJ burnt the ball a little more than Sam does.

At the end of the day both are outstanding footballers and we are all very fortunate to have seen them in action.

Yes, I would - but it's debatable.

I beleive Sam is more creative (and quicker) by hand than GAJ. Many of GAJ's handballs are 1-2's that are not particularly creative/destructive. Sam clears congestion, finds targets most would not see and can gather and release by hand faster than anyone else I've seen.

GAJ, on the other hand, can kick further and can kick miracle goals from anywhere. Sam always takes the percentage option and never blazes away - always aiming to kick it onto the chest of someone else. When Sam has no other option (like against GWS? last year), he can kick the miracle goal but GAJ does it time and time again.

Obviously some of this is down to the contrast in who each of them has to kick to over their careers.

As you said, both brilliant footballers and we are very, very fortunate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back