Mega Thread Adam Goodes starring in Lord of the Flies - The only place to post Goodes stuff - Read the OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I understand you think that the media are responsible for beating this up, but to say that booing Adam Goodes doesn't hurt anyone is a bit of a stretch. Your idea that not being able to boo Adam Goodes is limiting freedom of expression is stoopid...I don't feel that not walking around Berlin doing a Nazi salute is restricting my freedom, I think it's common sense because it will offend some people. You don't need to behave like that; even if your intention isn't racist, if the person on the receiving end feels it is; then why not do the decent thing and not do it?!

Take right or wrong out of it and look at it from the perspective of whether it is constructive for the game or not?

I agree that the media are surely going to morph this into something stupid by virtue of some player doing something dumb and getting booed in the heat of the match, as opposed to a coordinated approach as it is for AG.

You cant really take right or wrong out of it as you suggested.
Right or wrong underpins the correct and acceptable behaviours in our society according to law.

And whether it is "good for the game or not" should never determine whether it is right or wrong as that would be the tail wagging the dog.

No disrespect meant with the above as you otherwise make some good points.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Not sure if previously mention here.

I've heard and read some pretty stupid articles from all aspects of the media in the past week but this one has me flabbergasted.....swans fans to pelt booers with eggs....really? Now that's gonna help! :rolleyes:

Whether true or not this is simply inciting violence. Not so much the act of throwing the egg but rather the aftermath of someone getting struck.

Hey AFL have you endorsed this threat? And HeraldSun this is grossly irresponsible from you.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/vict...goodes-with-eggs/story-fni0fit3-1227463995262

And what of this invader s**t.

Does he want all of Australia for himself and his people?

A very divisive statement and inflammatory to say the least.

I shudder when I see someone in a position of privilege and responsibility and they start grinding their axe.

Never going to end well.

Up until the boats arrived, Australia as we know it, was inhabited by a race of people for tens of thousands of years.

Whether you choose to accept it or not indigenous people are not going to have fond memories or thoughts of a day that has been chosen to highlight when white people decided that they were going to rule the land, as if no one was here to begin with.

Children were murdered. Women were raped. Families split up. People were treated like animals and savages.

Australia Day has been known amongst aboriginal people as Invasion day for some time, it's not a new term.

Would you be as perplexed by the decendant of a Holocaust survivor saying disparaging things about Germany's history?

Make no mistake Aboriginal people carry with them the scars of generations passed, and it's the very reason they now feel disconnected from thier own culture while not being accepted into the "white culture" that we've tried to make them conform to. In a lot of ways that are stuck in no man's land, unable to identify with a culture almost lost to them, and unaccepted in a world who treats them differently.

image.jpg

I've heard and read some pretty stupid articles from all aspects of the media in the past week but this one has me flabbergasted.....swans fans to pelt booers with eggs....really? Now that's gonna help! :rolleyes:

Whether true or not this is simply inciting violence. Not so much the act of throwing the egg but rather the aftermath of someone getting struck.

Hey AFL have you endorsed this threat? And HeraldSun this is grossly irresponsible from you.

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/news/vict...goodes-with-eggs/story-fni0fit3-1227463995262

if the eggs aren't confiscated by security, anyone who throws a projectile should be kicked out of the ground and banned.

whoever takes this picture to the ground and gets it on camera at each game will win my undying appreciation:
f26e6808654ddbb914a438fa5a48bc11.600x.jpg

Up until the boats arrived, Australia as we know it, was inhabited by a race of people for tens of thousands of years.

Whether you choose to accept it or not indigenous people are not going to have fond memories or thoughts of a day that has been chosen to highlight when white people decided that they were going to rule the land, as if no one was here to begin with.

Children were murdered. Women were raped. Families split up. People were treated like animals and savages.

Australia Day has been known amongst aboriginal people as Invasion day for some time, it's not a new term.

Would you be as perplexed by the decendant of a Holocaust survivor saying disparaging things about Germany's history?

Make no mistake Aboriginal people carry with them the scars of generations passed, and it's the very reason they now feel disconnected from thier own culture while not being accepted into the "white culture" that we've tried to make them conform to. Stick in no man's land.

View attachment 157790

Sadly in any exchange of blows it is the first person hit that has the power to stop the fight. A hits B B hits A A hits B B hits A A hits B B says "it stops here I'm not engaging in this anymore." For me there is no exchange between races, as there are no races. What race are my kids? Human. They don't fit any description of any traditional "text book" race. Mitochondrial DNA evidence suggests the standard deviation between two people selected at random from within a single "race" is greater on average than any two median points between two vastly different "races". That is two peoplee within a race are more different on average than two people of two different races.

Race is bull s**t. Scientifically, socially, in every way. Dark skin cannot absorb UV light, in a region of low sun, and low red meet, (far northern europe) a person with dark skin would not get sufficient vitamin D and would die of ricketts (a bone disease linked to low vit D levels.) A person with fair skin would die from skin cancer in the kalahari or australian outback (in fact even from sunburn should the skin break and induce infection) 100,000 years ago.

So really skin colour is an inherited medical condition, one is a predisposition for skin cancer and one a predisposition for ricketts. We could just as legitimately divide the world up into races based on predispositions to arthritis or allergy to strawberries, both inherited, both arguably race based. We don't because they are not readily visible. But it's the readily visible differences that are the most exterior. Thus they are most recent in our biological differentiation.

Anybody who preaches division should be derided and jeered. That is not where our society is heading, regardless of their background.

I'll be genuinely disappointed if Goodes retires; while this situation has blown out of proportion, for Goodes to accept no responsibility for his actions and walk away, with the implication that all of the booing is racism driven and has caused him to leave the game would, in my opinion, be a monumentally arrogant attempt to use the game of AFL as a political tool.

You cant really take right or wrong out of it as you suggested.
Right or wrong underpins the correct and acceptable behaviours in our society according to law.

And whether it is "good for the game or not" should never determine whether it is right or wrong as that would be the tail wagging the dog.

No disrespect meant with the above as you otherwise make some good points.

Totally agree!

Sadly in any exchange of blows it is the first person hit that has the power to stop the fight. A hits B B hits A A hits B B hits A A hits B B says "it stops here I'm not engaging in this anymore." For me there is no exchange between races, as there are no races. What race are my kids? Human. They don't fit any description of any traditional "text book" race. Mitochondrial DNA evidence suggests the standard deviation between two people selected at random from within a single "race" is greater on average than any two median points between two vastly different "races". That is two peoplee within a race are more different on average than two people of two different races.

Race is bull s**t. Scientifically, socially, in every way. Dark skin cannot absorb UV light, in a region of low sun, and low red meet, (far northern europe) a person with dark skin would not get sufficient vitamin D and would die of ricketts (a bone disease linked to low vit D levels.) A person with fair skin would die from skin cancer in the kalahari or australian outback (in fact even from sunburn should the skin break and induce infection) 100,000 years ago.

So really skin colour is an inherited medical condition, one is a predisposition for skin cancer and one a predisposition for ricketts. We could just as legitimately divide the world up into races based on predispositions to arthritis or allergy to strawberries, both inherited, both arguably race based. We don't because they are not readily visible. But it's the readily visible differences that are the most exterior. Thus they are most recent in our biological differentiation.

Anybody who preaches division should be derided and jeered. That is not where our society is heading, regardless of their background.
Yeah, look I can see your point, but I'm not sure that an argument that race doesn't matter carries much weight in the circumstances.

Clearly, race and culture does matter to Cyril Rioli, and it does matter to Shaun Burgoyne, Adam Goodes, Lance Franklin, Jed Anderson... And the list goes on.

Yeah, look I can see your point, but I'm not sure that an argument that race doesn't matter carries much weight in the circumstances.

Clearly, race and culture does matter to Cyril Rioli, and it does matter to Shaun Burgoyne, Adam Goodes, Lance Franklin, Jed Anderson... And the list goes on.
No, what matters is how people treat people. a group of people treat another group of people abysmally. It is wrong whether it is race based or not. By saying it does matter to Cyril Rioli, says Cyril Rioli is a different race to some other person, and he is not. If you want I can spend a long time typing and prove it. But simply put, he is not. The treatment is based purely on a baseless hatred/contempt or at the very least a misplaced sense of superiority for or over our fellow man. Coming from both "races" I see no weight in claiming anything is race based, it is simply bigotry for another human. Noo mattter which side of the fence one sits.

Not one discussion about how many of the indicators of racism, intolerance, one eyed bias, hypocrisy etc. get superimposed on our tribalism between AFL clubs. Theres literally millions of examples in bigfooty alone

Its more the colour of goodes jumper than the colour of his skin.

Thats why it looks like racism. But it isnt, its jumperism

Having said, the booing must stop symply because all this collateral damage eg goodes well being which is feeding off it must stop

Only in the herald sun. Of course tippett will be bood

Herald Scum apparently stands with Adam, yet they labelled the people who were protesting against the forced closure of remote Aboriginal communities as "Selfish Rabble".

That says it all about that travesty of a paper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did he do this?

So if he didn't say it, what the f..k is this all about then. And he didn't need to say anything, because the way he is acting now, he is milking it for all it's got and making the whole thing about him.

All I'm saying is that if any player from now hears the slightest boo, he should carry on like a complete f..ken moron and play the racist card like Adam has done, that's all.

So if he didn't say it, what the f..k is this all about then. And he didn't need to say anything, because the way he is acting now, he is milking it for all it's got and making the whole thing about him.

All I'm saying is that if any player from now hears the slightest boo, he should carry on like a complete f..ken moron and play the racist card like Adam has done, that's all.
So he didn't say it after all?

You've attributed something to him that he's not even said?

And at the moment he's saying nothing, choosing to step away from the game instead, and other people from EVERY club in the game are saying it has to stop...but he's milking it.

He's "Making the whole thing about him"?
FFS, he's being booed every ******* week. Who else is it about if it's not about him?

There is no doubt in my mind that racism is an underlying theme regarding the booing, as it's become quite clear over the last few days with all the comments saying he's being a sook and shouldn't have called out that girl for vilifying him.

I booed him at the MCG earlier this year, but I will not do so again.

The only people carrying on like morons now are the ones who can't acknowledge that the boing has gone way too far and it needs to stop.

And at the moment he's saying nothing, choosing to step away from the game instead, and other people from EVERY club in the game are saying it has to stop...but he's milking it.

FFS, he's being booed every ******* week. Who else is it about if it's not about him?

There is no doubt in my mind that racism is an underlying theme regarding the booing, as it's become quite clear over the last few days with all the comments saying he's being a sook and shouldn't have called out that girl for vilifying him.

The only people carrying on like morons now are the ones who can't acknowledge that the boing has gone way too far and it needs to stop.

Agreed, Goodes has been quite measured since this got blown up after round 8

Its sensationalist media such as robbo, who was 'sad' that this story was now going around the world. Hey nothing to do with you shamelesssly fanning the flames you useless "commentator"

Make no mistake Aboriginal people carry with them the scars of generations passed, and it's the very reason they now feel disconnected from thier own culture while not being accepted into the "white culture" that we've tried to make them conform to. In a lot of ways that are stuck in no man's land, unable to identify with a culture almost lost to them, and unaccepted in a world who treats them differently.

View attachment 157790

And somewhere in amongst all of that, we sit.

So is the way forward to continue with the divisions, blaming, accusations, preferential treatment and the expressing of general dissatisfaction with these past happenings........or is there a better way?

Unfortunately past history cannot be changed.....but working together we can make sure these things are not being repeated. But we all need to be working towards the same goal or it will remain the same. Therein lies the great challenge because of how diverse life is in Australia.

I love my country and its people....but I don't see all of this going in the right direction with the current mode of operation. It has become way to politicised and there have been too many instances of people using situations and circumstances for their own gain and to the detriment of others.

I would have also thought that the expectation of decent behaviour and upright living would be the same across all cultures regardless of who you are and where you have come from.

Agreed, Goodes has been quite measured since this got blown up after round 8

Its sensationalist media such as robbo, who was 'sad' that this story was now going around the world. Hey nothing to do with you shamelesssly fanning the flames you useless "commentator"

I believe the correct term for Robbo is campaigner, not commentator.

Commentator is campaigner wih a capital C.

It really annoys me that these people who make a living out of commentary are running as hard as they can on this, but then turning round saying the issue is "sad for australia", hand wringing sad face while the dollar signs ar kerchinging in the brain

The same people who campaign to get coaches sacked for a run of bad losses yet hand wring again about how defensive game tactics are

Who complain when players and coaches continually give vanilla answers, yet sensationalise start a flame war if any one of them lets something slip which could be slightly controversial.

Or conduct a dirty war against clubs which dare to insist that dealings with the media be -gosh- respectful and measured

They have nfi do they.

I ran across another suggestion in the media earlier in the week where a media person....surprise surprise, said that anyone booing should be fined by the AFL.

Really....still not addressing the issue, still not a solution to the problem and the media is still making thoughtless, reactionary and inflammatory statements with out any repercussions.

I can't find the article...will go and have a look for it again. Hopefully its been pulled....cause its a very silly idea indeed.

Your opinion. I just don't like Adam, nothing to do with race... But you continue to tell yourself that your the only person with the correct opinion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back