Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

subaru

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why would the HUN print something like this, other than to be divisive.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...goodes-with-eggs/story-fni0fit3-1227463995262

This crap offers nothing to the debate other than to create a bigger divide. Jesus, its Friday, the footy starts today. Stop printing this crap, and start talking about what maybe be the game of the round

That's simply disgraceful
That is physical abuse - line up for the law suits you total campaigners

Yeah...
Greet way to further their reasoning
Again a Goodes issue polarizes
Pathetic

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I am not an Adam Goodes fan for many reasons, whether it be his staging, or his sly little snipes on the field, or his whinging, or even his Australia Day speech (which I found to be more divisive than anything else).
Which part in particular?

1) So, you are one of those psuedo-intellects under some romantic illusion indigenous tribes were like latter-day hippies? Living off the land does not mean universal harmony to each other. They were still human beings prone to violence and abhorrent acts, just like other peoples in history.

And always in danger of in-fighting, tribal wars, slaughter and worse (rape etc) over that time period

2) Who is outraged over the slur? It was more that he pointed out a little girl who didn't know better and ran with it. Oh and "That community" -- way to reduce them all to the same entity! You clearly understand what it was like back then ;)
Uhh... I think most people were more disappointed to find a 13 year old girl was shouting racist abuse, rather than disappointed that an Aboriginal man refused to tolerate it and took a stand.

subaru

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Uhh... I think most people were more disappointed to find a 13 year old girl was shouting racist abuse, rather than disappointed that an Aboriginal man refused to tolerate it and took a stand.
Most people accepted she was young and said a dumb thing

Most people accepted she was young and said a dumb thing
Absolutely agree with you on that point, as did Adam Goodes when he met with her.

Nikita Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2003
Section One
AFL Club
Carlton
Saying Adam Goodes should be promoting the King Kong movie isn't racist?

Are you kidding?

I seriously think if someone jumped the fence and ran on the ground wearing a white sheet and a hood some posters here would say they were just dressing up as Casper and it had no racial connotation at all.

subaru

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Absolutely agree with you on that point, as did Adam Goodes when he met with her.

Difference is most people made allowances for it. Understood the situation -probably had kids of their own that have said and done stupid things

Not Goodes though - He'd backed himself fair into a corner ...
He then took it further the next day by proclaiming her as the face of racism in this country at a nationwide press conference to justify his over the top reaction

Could have hugged her, said her forgave her and she could have
apologized

Chose to use her for a cause - no one deserved to be harangued like that because of stupidity

Also he did grab at Taylor Hunts package - the reaction from Hunt clearly shows he was not happy

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yet you were just before complaining about Indigenous people taking Australia Day off?

No I wasn't you peanut.. I couldn't give a rats arse about what people do in general. Where did I complain and isolate indigenous people? You're a goose

subaru

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
I seriously think if someone jumped the fence and ran on the ground wearing a white sheet and a hood some posters here would say they were just dressing up as Casper and it had no racial connotation at all.
Stupid post

kfc1

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 27, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
No, but it means you are engaging in racist behaviour. Again, that doesn't necessarily make you a racist, but if you were to do it after the events of the past week it would, as you would know it's being perceived as racist.
Yeah nah. See my comment about attending the footy.

Sep 25, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

But it doesn't seem to line up with all the backlash he received and him being viewed as polarising. But I'm sure it was all racists responsible for that impression, not that he hung a kid out to dry -- so you just disregard the "racists" in your mind?

I can only speak to myself and people I know as to the notions most put forth for the backlash... none in my life held racist attitudes. They could not have (with so many different races in my circles it wouldn't fly)

"He put a mirror up to Australia, they didn't like it"

In 1967 the biggest mirror ever was put up to Australians and they voted 90% in favour of aboriginal rights. Such a racist people those voters were though.

Skin colour doth not come into it for mine.

When I was 13 I marched against racism, kids take their cues from their parents, and looking at that lass' mum, I don't think we're talking mother of the year here.

subaru

Cancelled
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just has stupid as people feigning shock that an Aboriginal man could find offence in being called an an ape.
Garbage...
No one has condoned that

This is the problem
Those defending Goodes take everything to the extreme

Accept a mistake was made and move the **** on
But no
- now Sydney cheer squad are listing up with eggs to physically assault anyone who dares boo him

For Gods sake

They were booing not lynching him !

Difference is most people made allowances for it. Understood the situation -probably had kids of their own that have said and done stupid things

He then took it further the next day by proclaiming her as the face of racism in this country at a nationwide press conference to justify his over the top reaction

apologized

Chose to use her for a cause - no one deserved to be harangued like that because of stupidity

Also he did grab at Taylor Hunts package - the reaction from Hunt clearly shows he was not happy
Sorry, but that's nonsense. Goodes met with the young girl and they talked things through. Goodes then went to her defence, in public: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...to-blame-for-racial-taunt-20130525-2n3bx.html

Miranda Devine and fellow media numpties labelled her the "face of racism".

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

apologized

What is with your weird obsession with AG not hugging the girl? You've raised it a few times now

Dacksaredown

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Houston Rockets
Just has stupid as people feigning shock that an Aboriginal man could find offence in being called an an ape.

Apart from Eddie's brainfart, wasn't everyone mostly supportive of his right to call her out? or was that just my read on the situation?

I disagree. The only difference is the media coverage
That's your opinion. Having been to all Swans home games and 3 away games this year, I can tell you it's totally different.

connolly

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2015
General Santos City, Mindanao
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Persis Solo, Davao Aguilas FC
Huh? Who said anything about 40,000 of culture? I thought we were discussing the status of this continent as a country? Clearly one of us here is hung up on race, and it sure ain't me.

I'm not confused in the slightest. For the sake of both of you, I think you need to read what I have written. When I post about "Australia being a country" I am referring to the continent we know as Australia not being a country; i.e. one country. There was no, let's invade this country concept when colonising Australian lands. The continent was just too vast and unknown for that to be a genuine concept. Which is why different people settled in different parts of the continent and it took more than 100 years for them to unite. Perhaps in this modern small-world setting it's a struggle for some to abandon modern perspective and surrender to the confines of passed perspectives, but boy I just see a whole lot of stuff here getting bent out of shape; people included.
Mate post-modernism in education has a lot to answer for. Country has varies meanings. Its not meant what you mean by it. Its what the word means. You just make stuff up don't you?

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
It's gone beyond whether it racist or not. Quite frankly I don't care anymore.

You've made your point, you don't like him, we get it. You now have been, politely, asked to stop.

What do you call people who persist in doing something that they've been asked not to do?

W*nkers, a$$holes, douchbags, d*cks - take you pick.

It's pretty simple - Don't be a d*ck.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Wendell Sailor's comments about how he wished he was as brave as Goodes throughout his career I think is telling. Goodes is probably doing exactly what a lot of non white players wish they could. It takes a lot of mental strength to stand up to a large portion of society and tell them that they are wrong and that things need to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back