Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

What about the idea that Hawthorn had to accelerate after finding themselves 4-4 in order to finish top 2 (and avoid those trips to Perth)? Someone suggested that in this thread a few weeks ago.

Possibly which is why the next two weeks are crucial.

After that we have a pretty cruisy run into September (Geelong, Port, Brisbane and Carlton) which we can use to manage our player loads

What about the idea that Hawthorn had to accelerate after finding themselves 4-4 in order to finish top 2 (and avoid those trips to Perth)? Someone suggested that in this thread a few weeks ago.
We didn't though that is the thing. We just did the bare minimum whilst getting wins, our form was atrocious up until the Fremantle game. (Well in my opinion of what we're capable of)

I think Fremantle will win the premiership. Reckon Hawthorn haven't timed their ascent very well.
You're assuming Hawthorn have reached their peak.

I don't think they have. Jordan Lewis and Alastair Clarkson don't think we have either.

Don't let the results against Fremantle and Sydney fool you. They are in a massive form slump and aren't playing like their ladder positions suggest they should. Carlton are also not very good and were missing some of their bests like Judd and Gibbs.

I don't think they have. Jordan Lewis and Alastair Clarkson don't think we have either.

Don't let the results against Fremantle and Sydney fool you. They are in a massive form slump and aren't playing like their ladder positions suggest they should. Carlton are also not very good and were missing some of their bests like Judd and Gibbs.
As arrogant as it sounds we are not near our best at all. We just got teams at the right time.

Brisbane 2004 is my point...although they were shafted by virtue of playing a Saturday Night MCG 'home' Preliminary Final which some may argue shafted them for the Grand Final.

That said the disparity in squiggle position between Brisbane Lions and Port Adelaide was much closer than what Hawthorn and West Coast is today...if Hawthorn make the Grand Final they'll also get a GF on their home deck against a team that doesn't play much at the MCG - whereas it was a virtual neutral venue for Port Adelaide and Brisbane.

If Hawthorn makes the Grand Final I reckon we will win, its a matter of actually getting to the Grand Final which is tricky

Agreed, I couldn't see WC or Freo knocking you off in the Grand Final, however I could see either of us winning a Prelim/Qualifying final at Subi against you guys. 2 trips to Perth in 3 weeks would be tough too.

I'm also still wondering about Fremantle. It's odd this year, because Freo also appeared to have mistimed things with their rigorous pre-season, not to mention the ever present injury guillotine seemingly dangling over the Eagles neck. Sydney could maybe do a Bradbury.

The recent streak of both flagless '95 debutants NQ Cowboys and Freo also left me intrigued, it would be funny if they both ended up breaking the duck in the same year.

Hawthorn are hardly working harder than their opponents (they are, but not by the huge amount people seem to think that will cause them to tire), they are just super efficient.

Barring injuries, they won't just magically drop off- other teams will need to play to their level to be a chance, I think West Coast can.

Agreed, I couldn't see WC or Freo knocking you off in the Grand Final, however I could see either of us winning a Prelim/Qualifying final at Subi against you guys. 2 trips to Perth in 3 weeks would be tough too.

I'm trying not to think about that happening!!! :oops::p

In all seriousness, that would be a really tough hurdle for Hawthorn to overcome should that scenario happen. The only way we will get a home qualifying final is if we beat both Richmond and West Coast. I don't like our chances.

In all seriousness, that would be a really tough hurdle for Hawthorn to overcome should that scenario happen. The only way we will get a home qualifying final is if we beat both Richmond and West Coast. I don't like our chances.
It's a bit easier to think about when you consider that if we don't win in round 19, we get another shot in the qualifying final and if we don't win that we get another go in the prelim. We basically have to win 1 from 3.

This what I keep telling myself to get to sleep at night.

Oh nooo you might have to fly across the country twice in 3 weeks? Welcome to WA footy boys.

If Hawthorn win 1 of (up to 3) their trips to Subiaco they will make the Grand Final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As long as you beat richmond as well. Lose to richmond and if you beat us first up H+A it might not count for anything.

Well if we lose to Richmond (and assuming West Coast don't lose to one of Fremantle or Adelaide (away) and Fremantle dont lose to West Coast and one of North (away) and Port (away)) then we need to win one of two Perth trips to make the GF...not much changes anyway

Either way if we can't defeat Richmond (who are 5.50 outsiders) we don't really deserve to be flag favourites anyway...let alone 1.35 favourites to make the GF with the bookies...

Last edited:

According to the players no team ever reaches their peak.

Fair points and I agree that this would probably account for much of it. FWIW I don't necessarily disagree with the Squiggle's rating - we've been up and down and probably don't genuinely deserve a high rating as yet. Just curious to see the contributing factors in the algorithm's 'mind' and FS' views on the disagreement between ladder position and Squiggle rating (including the Flagpole).
The Doggies are doing pretty well, sitting only a little below that next tier of teams that include Collingwood, Adelaide, Port, etc. They've moved a long way this year.

The reasons they're not higher are they started a fair way back, their best performances have been against teams the squiggle didn't really rate at the time, their wins against good teams have all been close, and they haven't done much in the month before last weekend relative to teams around them.

As threenewpadlocks mentioned, defeating West Coast today would earn you a lot more squiggle movement than it did in Round 1. Richmond weren't rated that highly in Round 2, either. The Sydney and Adelaide wins were good -- especially the latter, since it wasn't close. But then it's a mixed bag of results until last week, and even beating Collingwood wasn't as good as you might think since the squiggle isn't mad about the Pies this year.

In flagpole terms, the Dogs are fairly low since they started a long way back and haven't delivered a really dominant performance except for Round 4 vs Adelaide. By that, I mean a game in which they kick an unusually big score or hold their opposition to an unusually low one. They've had lots of good games, for sure, but this algorithm gives more credence to breakout ones.

In flagpole terms, the Dogs are fairly low since they started a long way back and haven't delivered a really dominant performance except for Round 4 vs Adelaide. By that, I mean a game in which they kick an unusually big score or hold their opposition to an unusually low one. They've had lots of good games, for sure, but this algorithm gives more credence to breakout ones.
How low are talking here? 30 points 40 points? Geelong obviously held GWS to a low score on the weekend but Geelong are well ahead of GWS on the flagpole/squiggle.

Even though we lost to Geelong for etc who are well above us on the squiggle, we held them to only 72 points that day, our win against Collingwood on the weekend was the 1st time our opposition scored more than 74 points against us since round 10 against Port, we've gone 5 wins and a loss since that Port game, I've seen the Dogs squiggle move mainly east in that time but it finally went north this week.

Now hypothetically, if the Dogs came out and thumped Port next week would that put the Dogs ahead of Collingwood and Port on the squiggle/flagpole by dragging Port down or not really due to Port's lowly ladder position?

Also, did they move up a bit after the Sydney win or nah?

Now hypothetically, if the Dogs came out and thumped Port next week would that put the Dogs ahead of Collingwood and Port on the squiggle/flagpole by dragging Port down or not really due to Port's lowly ladder position?

Currently tips Bulldogs 88-84 (home ground advantage), if you score higher you will move north, if Port score less you move East (and vice versa). That may change after this weekends results of course.

How low are talking here? 30 points 40 points? Geelong obviously held GWS to a low score on the weekend but Geelong are well ahead of GWS on the flagpole/squiggle.

Even though we lost to Geelong for etc who are well above us on the squiggle, we held them to only 72 points that day, our win against Collingwood on the weekend was the 1st time our opposition scored more than 74 points against us since round 10 against Port, we've gone 5 wins and a loss since that Port game, I've seen the Dogs squiggle move mainly east in that time but it finally went north this week.

Also, did they move up a bit after the Sydney win or nah?
Holding a team to 30 or 40 is massively better than 72 or 74. And 30 is a lot better than 40.

To show why, I'll take you through the maths of it. NO WAIT COME BACK.

So this weekend the squiggle expects Essendon 74 - 86 Bulldogs. If that's what actually happens, neither team will move on the chart. The ladder predictor might bump up the Dogs' expected finishing position, since it could then be 100% sure the Dogs win that game, instead of 64% sure, like it is now. But the chart won't change since both teams' form was exactly as expected.

Now let's look at scenarios where the Dogs score the expected 86 points but keep Essendon to less than than the expected 74. In all of these, the Dogs will move horizontally right (eastwards), since their defence has overperformed. The only question is how far.

The squiggle's ISTATE-91:12 algorithm is:

PREDICTED SCORE = 85 x (TEAM ATTACK ÷ OPPOSITION DEFENCE) + HOME ADVANTAGE

No home advantage here, since both teams are Melbourne-based, so we can ignore that.

Essendon's ATTACK is currently 50.6. The Dogs' DEFENCE is 58.5. So this is why Essendon are expected to score 74 points:

74 PTS = 85 x (50.6 ÷ 58.5)​

Scenario #1: Dogs win 86 to 60.

With the Dogs keeping Essendon to only 60 points, the squiggle calculates what the Dogs' DEFENCE should have been:

60 PTS = 85 x (50.6 ÷ ???)

... and the answer is 71.7.

The Dogs won't shoot straight to 71.7 on the squiggle chart, though, because ISTATE-91:12 gives a 91% weighting to previous games. The Dogs' new DEFENCE will be 91% of their current rating (58.5) plus 9% of this new one (71.7):

(0.91 x 58.5) + (0.09 x 71.7) = 59.7

So after this game, despite beating squiggle expectations by 14 points, the Dogs only move a little on the chart, with their DEFENCE increasing from 58.5 to 59.7, a gain of 1.2.

Scenario #2: Dogs win 86 to 50

50 PTS = (85 x 50.6) ÷ ??? ... the answer is 86.2.

(0.91 x 58.5) + (0.09 x 86.2) = 61.0. A gain of 2.5. This is enough to overtake Collingwood.

Scenario #3: Dogs win 86 to 40

40 PTS = (85 x 50.6) ÷ ??? ... and that's 107.5! Even though it's only another 10-pt difference between expected and actual scores, the impact is getting bigger.

(0.91 x 58.5) + (0.09 x 107.5) = 62.9. A gain of 4.4. Up to North Melbourne now.

Scenario #4: Dogs win 86 to 30

30 PTS = (85 x 50.6) ÷ ??? ... that's 143.4.

(0.91 x 58.5) + (0.09 x 143.4) = 66.1. A gain of 7.6. Past the Cats you go.

Scenario #5: Dogs win 86 to 20

20 PTS = (85 x 50.6) ÷ ??? ... that's 215.1.

(0.91 x 58.5) + (0.09 x 215.1) = 72.6. A gain of 14.1. At this point, the Dogs' defence is up there with Fremantle, and better than Richmond and Sydney.

Scenario #6: Dogs win 86 to 10

10 PTS = (85 x 50.6) ÷ ??? ... that's 430.1.

(0.91 x 58.5) + (0.09 x 430.1) = 91.9. A gain of 33.4, and after keeping Essendon to the lowest score kicked by any team since 1961, the Dogs' defence is now the best in the league by a fair margin. I also have to redraw the squiggle chart, because they've shot off the right-hand side of it.

Scenario #7: Dogs win 86 to 0

0 PTS = (85 x 50.6) ÷ ??? ... that's infinity.

The squiggle breaks down, my server crashes, and Hird is sacked.

Scenario #7: Dogs win 86 to 0

0 PTS = (85 x 50.6) ÷ ??? ... that's infinity.

The squiggle breaks down, my server crashes, and Hird is sacked.
I've been meaning to ask you for a while what would happen if a team could keep another to a score of 0. I was hoping Hawks could have done it to Carlton last week lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back