Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just trying to get a sense of why people are so upset that Goodes called out a fan on who was making a racist insult. Is it because it was a female, a young female, a Collingwood supporter? Is it because she was white?

All these poeple saying "I don't like my footy served up with a side of anti-racist lecturing" seem to think that Goodes had some sort of palatable options here.

When that young girl called him an ape Goodes had two choices:

1. Make a stand against racism;
2. Suck it up like he probably has lots of times before (and like lots of his indigenous counterparts have across many sporting codes) and walk around with the feeling of having let down himself and his people.

He chose 1 and, depsite the revisionist crap going on this board and in the broader media, did everything is hos power to turn it into a positive outcome for himself, for the young girl and for the broader community in general.

You know its not like he went out to the coin toss with a megaphone and started lecturing the crown on race relations.

Regards

S. Pete
And what did he do about throwing an imaginary spear into the crowd of opposition supporters just because he's having a sook? No apology or anything he must think it's multi cultural round I can do whatever I want and AFL wont do anything because it will be seen as racist

Why is this a LOL moment to you?

Lance Franklin's children will be born into a world which currently has thousands of people that think Aboriginal people should just deal with being called an "Ape" and stop "sooking".

Something has to change.
I used to get called curry muncher and other horrible things, its part of life there other kids who are asian etc who get bullied too

No I am saying that human behavior runs the full gamut of atrocious to wonderful, I'm not justifying anything at all I'm just pointing out the speciousness of your argument, we shouldn't be so insecure to be critical of all human behavior and that includes an aboriginal man's.

If your going to claim an excess of brutality on one cultures part, exceeding that of an other you better be as well read as you can be, there's nothing wrong with getting it wrong, I'm not justifying the holocaust or the gulags, I am saying that the internal historical violence of aboriginal culture like Papuan culture like prehistoric western culture is worse than the worst of 20th century western culture. Maybe you might consider what you don't know instead of being so sure of your opinions, and not be so insecure to have that lack of knowledge pointed out?
I have never claimed that indigenous cultures are perfect. I do however believe they have suffered under European colonialism and anything we can do to right that wrong is a positive step.

In this case I would think it just means showing a bit of Respect and tolerance.

It's not racism.

People are too bloody scared to be racist these days. Hell, you can't even boo someone without being called a racist.

I highly doubt people are booing Goodes because of his skin colour.

How many other footballer's have taken leave from the game? Mitch Clark is the only other one that comes to mind. Goodes either has a mental illness or he is emotionally weak. That's why we boo him. Because he dives, is a dirty player, and when he is off the field it's all whinge whinge bloody whinge. Racism card this, poor me that.

Goodes has a white partner. Is paid well above the average Australian. Is well-respected and loved around his club. Had been named Australian of the year. Obviously Australia accepts him. Racism still exists in Australia and has a long way to go, but Goodes is in a position to mend a lot of issues. He needs to have thicker skin and instead of shying away and complaining, he needs to be a strong role model and set an example. This whole victim mentally isn't helping anyone.

Why is it OK for people:
To absolutely hate Essendon and all of their players, even those that are innocent?
To stick the boots into Colin Sylvia and other poor players?
For the media to chase Jack Riewoldt around after training and to slander his image?
The media bashing of Ablett Jnr, saying he is a weak captain?
BigFooty calling Milne a "tip rat"
Roughead is a "ranga"
Bigfooty hijacking McLachlan's wikipedia?

All this is fine, but booing one idiot (who happens to have dark skin) is the worst thing imaginable?

Football is a sport where we give each other s**t. Go to the MCG this weekend and see how much flak the umpires and the opposition cop from the Collingwood cheer squad. It's part of the game and always will be.
You do realise him being a strong role model and setting a good example is the reason he got Australian of the year in the first place right?

Tough one. That's what we should be discussing, rather than going in circles with all the nonsense covered in the first 400 pages. What is the right way to handle it?

I think that given the huge publicity this issue has received this week, you couldn't claim to be ignorant of the fact that there is a racial element to some of the booing. You also know that it's taking it's toll on another human. I guess it's up to the individual to ask themselves if they're happy to join in with the racist element and continue tormenting the guy, or to move on?

we are making progress, they can do what they want I think, its their choice.

But, time to call it a day and get back to the footy, there point has been made
lets worry about the game now, Adam take note, supporters take note.

It's more likely that the racists have jumped on the bandwagon, not the other way around as you posited.
Except that the booing comes on the back of the 13yr old girl / AOTY events, which point to racial motivation.

Suggesting a large portion of fans randomly decided to start booing Goodes for being a flog, immediately around the time of the AOTY award, is delusional.

The funny thing about the hypersensitivity some Australians have about being called racists, is that the best example of widespread racism is how widespread, disingenuous and repetitive the campaign is to say we aren't racist whenever it gets brought up.

I'm white. Anyone who thinks there aren't a good chunk of Australians who can be a bit racist are either sheltered or lying.
As i said in the Jetta thread ,

" You know how i know climate deniers are full of s**t ? "

The VEHEMENCE.......

Pete KILLIN it ATM

get around him.

Get around his complete hypothetical fallacy? Everyone can change a story to bolster their argument. You guys are doing it daily.

One example.. you STILL deny/downplay the importance of Goodes being a maligned figure prone to booing of him from 2005 era-2012 for on field antics, and for his perception of being a protected species (which aussies hate), never serving as harsh sentence as others, if at all. Add to that being the Sydney poster-boy of opposition vitriol, especially after Barry Hall left.

Except that the booing comes on the back of the 13yr old girl / AOTY events, which point to racial motivation.

Suggesting a large portion of fans randomly decided to start booing Goodes for being a flog, immediately around the time of the AOTY award, is delusional.
Goodes has been booed for years before that. Obviously this has increased to the point where we now have boo-gate.
How did people boo him in January 2015? Was he walking down the street in Bondi to a chorus of boos?

No I don't think anyone who boos him is a racist.

I do think they are joining in an activity started by those who were racially motivated though.

Actually I'd put it the other way. I think the initial booing of Goodes wasn't racially motivated. But the "Boo Crew" is slowly but surely being infiltrated and infested with racist filth. Goodes, the target of the boos, has picked up on this and made it clear the boos make him feel racially victimised.

If this keeps on its current trajectory I suspect that in a few months time a whole bunch of people will be thinking to themselves "I can't believe I thought it was okay to keep booing him."

Regards

S. Pete

Do you really need an interpreter to understand the point he was getting across or are you deliberately being obtuse?

Racism had a face...and it was a 13-year-old girl - This normal looking young naive person is the not so obvious face of racism (not someone with Swastika tattoos marching with the UPF).
but it's not her fault, This has to be tackle in the home starting with the parents.

Even with the full context surely you can see he was not trying to victimise her, surely?
Godwins Law
Seriously,,,,:rolleyes:

Swap a few words over and see if the qualification after calling her what he did still sounds ok.....
Try this on for size

If someone was to call you ugly...and then say but it's not your fault .....are you now quite happy they've called you ugly ?

"Not trying to victimise her " ???? You're kidding.
This whole episode began because he wanted an example made of the "person" that made the comment.
The fact that it backfired on him is not anyone's fault but his own, an one reason I do not like the man.

To me the biggest point to come out is that supporter who got ejected for telling Goodes to "go back to the zoo", then just tried to claim is was part of the banter that was going on. The majority of people obviously weren't telling Goodes to go back to the zoo, they were booing him and calling him a flog. But because of that, he thought it was ok to be overtly racist towards Goodes, and couldn't see anything wrong with it because everyone was calling him a flog and booing him. THAT is why the booing has to stop, even if you're doing it for innocent non-racist reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm just trying to get a sense of why people are so upset that Goodes called out a fan on who was making a racist insult. Is it because it was a female, a young female, a Collingwood supporter? Is it because she was white?

You know its not like he went out to the coin toss with a megaphone and started lecturing the crown on race relations.

Regards

S. Pete

It was because she was a kid and he knew it. And he has effectively gone out with a megaphone and started lecturing the crowd, he just did it with actions and not words.

He is detracting from the game of footy, which is the main reason I would suggest that people pay to go to a FOOTBALL match

I don't want to pay to go to a U2 concert and be lectured on world poverty by Bono, I just want to go and enjoy the concert, does that make me racist too?

One example.. you STILL deny/downplay the importance of Goodes being a maligned figure prone to booing of him from 2005 era-2012 for on field antics, and for his perception of being a protected species (which aussies hate), never serving as harsh sentence as others, if at all. Add to that being the Sydney poster-boy of opposition vitriol, especially after Barry Hall left.

Do i ??

Have i ??

I would still boo Adam Goodes if my team came up against Sydney this season.

Their whinging to the public has shown that it's clearly had an effect on them and if it helps put them off their game, awesome :thumbsu:

If they can't rise above that, tough luck. That's footy :footy:

Actually I'd put it the other way. I think the initial booing of Goodes wasn't racially motivated. But the "Boo Crew" is slowly but surely being infiltrated and infested with racist filth. Goodes, the target of the boos, has picked up on this and made it clear the boos make him feel racially victimised.

If this keeps on its current trajectory I suspect that in a few months time a whole bunch of people will be thinking to themselves "I can't believe I thought it was okay to keep booing him."

Regards

S. Pete
That's quite possible. For me, the boos intensified dramatically in 2014 following the AOTY award.

It was because she was a kid and he knew it. And he has effectively gone out with a megaphone and started lecturing the crowd, he just did it with actions and not words.

He is detracting from the game of footy, which is the main reason I would suggest that people pay to go to a FOOTBALL match

I don't want to pay to go to a U2 concert and be lectured on world poverty by Bono, I just want to go and enjoy the concert, does that make me racist too?

Personally I think he is trying to enhance it.

Regards

S. Pete

Ok if your outrage is real maybe just channel a little of it into helping aboriginal kids as well.

Right now they are sitting in communities around the country wondering why one of their idols is being harassed out of the game.

Thats lovely, maybe you should channel some of that energy into the kids who have been booing
Goodes, they now are being told they are racist and bigots.

Is it compassion for all, or just some as far as you are concerned?

I would still boo Adam Goodes if my team came up against Sydney this season.

Their whinging to the public has shown that it's clearly had an effect on them and if it helps put them off their game, awesome :thumbsu:

If they can't rise above that, tough luck. That's footy :footy:
That says much more about you as a person than it does about any football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back