NEAFL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

The Giants have something like 20 1st rounds draft picks I think - now not all of those guys are playing senior footy - their NEAFL side, despite these guys only being 18-20, is outstanding. Was always going to be in due course - not really a big deal. No different to playing in a league where a specific club has suddenly decided to splash massive $$ around and everyone is playing for 2nd prize.

The Giants have something like 20 1st rounds draft picks I think - now not all of those guys are playing senior footy - their NEAFL side, despite these guys only being 18-20, is outstanding. Was always going to be in due course - not really a big deal. No different to playing in a league where a specific club has suddenly decided to splash massive $$ around and everyone is playing for 2nd prize.

smy1305,

I can't for the life of me understand this fixation that a NEAFL Premiership is just second prize, for AFL Reserve sides!!!!! Clubs play footy to win games firstly, then if they are good enough to play finals as well, then if everything goes right, to then firstly play in a G/F and ultimately win it.

I think the Giants have seen the error of their ways from last year, that was a flag they could have one - lets not be simple here, the Bears still talk about the reserve premiership in the VFL/AFL to this day.

I also think the year that the Suns decided to put the queue in the rack, all go on their break together, when they should have won the flag by a street, has weakened their whole club fibre, they (with all of the money tipped in by the AFL) have not to this day got a winning culture, this I believe stems from a culture of not taking their opportunities when they come!!!!!! Campbell Brown may still be at the Suns had the reserves played through that year, who knows and boy do they miss him or someone of his toughness currently.

Tips Round 17

Billybunter (5) 62
Grimlock (4) 61
Stuyd1 (4) 59
Lifes a Beach1 (4) 58
Pea Nut (4) 56
justabaraker (4) 56
2010Premier (5) 56
Chikka Ferguson (4) 55

Billy takes the outright lead who along with 2010Premier got perfect 5's.Will be hard to run down from here but Grimlock and Stuyd1 still in touch.Have a great week everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smy1305,

I can't for the life of me understand this fixation that a NEAFL Premiership is just second prize, for AFL Reserve sides!!!!! Clubs play footy to win games firstly, then if they are good enough to play finals as well, then if everything goes right, to then firstly play in a G/F and ultimately win it.

I think the Giants have seen the error of their ways from last year, that was a flag they could have one - lets not be simple here, the Bears still talk about the reserve premiership in the VFL/AFL to this day.

I also think the year that the Suns decided to put the queue in the rack, all go on their break together, when they should have won the flag by a street, has weakened their whole club fibre, they (with all of the money tipped in by the AFL) have not to this day got a winning culture, this I believe stems from a culture of not taking their opportunities when they come!!!!!! Campbell Brown may still be at the Suns had the reserves played through that year, who knows and boy do they miss him or someone of his toughness currently.

Yeah I don't have a problem with clubs focusing on developing players before winning games of footy BB - at the end of the day the Bears 2's premiership was won in a legit reserves comp, no fiddling with rules and regs. And I'm not sure there are reunions for 2's premierships too...
I don't disagree with you re the Suns though nor the Giants. Think it is super important for these guys to win games of footy and maybe a GF. The thing is if you are going to be critical of the Suns, you need to be critical of Hawthorn who kept Cyril on the pine for the last qrt in last years VFL GF whilst the Doggies ran over them - so he could be ready for the game that counted the following week. He took the spot of a player who would have played the whole game. Its a different scene we are in now mate.

Yeah I don't have a problem with clubs focusing on developing players before winning games of footy BB - at the end of the day the Bears 2's premiership was won in a legit reserves comp, no fiddling with rules and regs. And I'm not sure there are reunions for 2's premierships too...
I don't disagree with you re the Suns though nor the Giants. Think it is super important for these guys to win games of footy and maybe a GF. The thing is if you are going to be critical of the Suns, you need to be critical of Hawthorn who kept Cyril on the pine for the last qrt in last years VFL GF whilst the Doggies ran over them - so he could be ready for the game that counted the following week. He took the spot of a player who would have played the whole game. Its a different scene we are in now mate.

You make a great point here. The AFL has an uneven unfair draw. The next best standard comp the vfl had its gf compromised so I agree people want to sook about the neafl ( and the players dropping back to qafl) how it's a compromised comp teams aren't trying to win blah blah just enjoy the footy how it is.

No doubt player management and development are number 1 priority during the week but once the white line is crossed players and coaches are competitive and trying to win and if you aren't good luck keeping your job.

smy1305,

Agree with most of this, but the one gleaming difference is, Cyril and Box Hill may have compromised the VFL grand final but they via the Hawks went on to win the big dance the week later, the Suns and the Giants have not got and will not have that luxury for a long time to come, if even ever. So win every game you can is my advice, as you may never get another chance.

Don't disagree with a fledging club, but if it was the Lions or Swans then I'm not sure they need to go hell for leather. We have had this discussion before and I know you feel that the Hornets win was fantastic last year (which it was) but I'm not sure it can be considered any better than Morningside's last year in the QAFL in an untarnished comp...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back