Preview Round 18 - Geelong v Brisbane, 1:45pm Saturday 1 August, Simonds Stadium

Predict the outcome

• Geelong by 1-25

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Geelong by 25+

Votes: 60 87.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brisbane by 1-25

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Brisbane by 25+

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fingers Crossed that becomes a reality.

These days with the whole travelling emergency thing, I wouldn't mind 4 on the bench + 1 Medical sub who can only come on for concussion assessments, or when an independent doctor rules a player out of the game. (Not a team doctor for obvious reasons)

Fingers Crossed that becomes a reality.

These days with the whole travelling emergency thing, I wouldn't mind 4 on the bench + 1 Medical sub who can only come on for concussion assessments, or when an independent doctor rules a player out of the game. (Not a team doctor for obvious reasons)

Wouldn't mind 4 on the bench, no sub, but 16 player sides. Can but dream...

People with their finger on the pulse, does it seem like the sub rule might be scrapped for next season?
not sure if I have my finger on the pulse, but certainly have my hand on it ....

That sounds very interesting. Would reduce congestion which isn't aesthetically pleasing.

It would be ideal to go back to a 4 man bench with no interchange cap.
There was no need to change the game. They did, and now they have congestion.
One of the football shows this week (can't remember which one) commented that it was meant to reduce injuries and slow the game down but injuries have actually increased.

Wonder what their medical experts think now

One of the football shows this week (can't remember which one) commented that it was meant to reduce injuries and slow the game down but injuries have actually increased.

Wonder what their medical experts think now

I don't see the need to keep changing the bloody rules. Let the game evolve.

Apparently the MC believe Brisbane will be an easy kill, the only reason that would explain their selection of Cockatoo.

Less then seven possessions per game in his five AFL appearances, nine last week in the VFL (and conceded a few goals as well from all reports) yet he gets a game ahead of Stokes and GHS to name just two more worthy candidates, puzzling decision to say the least.

Apparently the MC believe Brisbane will be an easy kill, the only reason that would explain their selection of Cockatoo.

Less then seven possessions per game in his five AFL appearances, nine last week in the VFL (and conceded a few goals as well from all reports) yet he gets a game ahead of Stokes ans GHS to name just two more worthy candidates, puzzling decision to say the least.
Stokes and GHS aren't fast though. Gregson has a bit of pace about him and he's been rested. The only other like for like would be Blease...

So pick the guy who'll be here next year.

Stokes and GHS aren't fast though. Gregson has a bit of pace about him and he's been rested. The only other like for like would be Blease...

So pick the guy who'll be here next year.

One of the most over hyped aspects of a players game IMO, plus pace ain't much help if you can't get hold of the pill in the first place.

Also GHS will be here next year, and hopefully Stokes as well..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the most over hyped aspects of a players game IMO, plus pace ain't much help if you can't get hold of the pill in the first place.

Also GHS will be here next year, and hopefully Stokes as well..
You need a mix. If you have 22 slow footballers you need elite skills which we don't have.

We need speed to break the lines as when we go slow down the line we're very predictable. Last week Motlop in particular used his speed to do just that and as a result found Hawkins 1v1 numerous times. Has cocky been in great form... No. But nonetheless it's a structural change.

You need a mix. If you have 22 slow footballers you need elite skills which we don't have.

We need speed to break the lines as when we go slow down the line we're very predictable. Last week Motlop in particular used his speed to do just that and as a result found Hawkins 1v1 numerous times. Has cocky been in great form... No. But nonetheless it's a structural change.

Well if we had twenty two plodders all with average skill it may be an issue but of course that's not the case.

If "structure" means playing a bloke with pace who finds the footy six or seven times ahead of a slower one who finds it twenty plus times then something's wrong IMHO.

Well if we had twenty two plodders all with average skill it may be an issue but of course that's not the case.

If "structure" means playing a bloke with pace who finds the footy six or seven times ahead of a slower one who finds it twenty plus times then something's wrong IMHO.

If those 20 possessions are backwards passes, hospital handpasses, the occasional effective possession. Vs someone who gets it 7 times but breaks the lines 2-3 times to create a 1-1 with hawkins in the forward arc. I would choose the later rather than the former, given the number of players of the other type we have in our team.

If those 20 possessions are backwards passes, hospital handpasses, the occasional effective possession. Vs someone who gets it 7 times but breaks the lines 2-3 times to create a 1-1 with hawkins in the forward arc. I would choose the later rather than the former, given the number of players of the other type we have in our team.

If you get the ball that infrequently practically every one of your possessions would have to be gold, 3.4 effective disposals per game, two inside fifties and 0.2 goal assists would suggest that's far from the case with Cockatoo.

Nakia is currently considered to be a part of the (long-term) future at the club. Stoker is definitely not in that category.

And Hyphen is far less a 'like for like' replacement for #28 than Cockatoo.

That would seem to be the 'logic' behind his selection ahead of the other two this week.

Hopefully Stokesy and George continue to bring some pressure to bear with good performances in the twos.

In the end, some uncertainty for the MC about who is best to choose for each game will make a novel change from the 'last man standing' approach they had to reluctantly embrace for some time recently.

Gregson needs a rest. Like all new players Cocky will take a bit of time, good game for that.

It's interesting that people are comparing the game to the one from 20+ years ago.

Players are superior athletes now, in every line. Back then, only the mids put up the massive kms per game. Now every player can run a huge amount per game.

That brings more players around the ball. Cutting numbers on the ground may help, so too kicking backwards is not a live kick, I.e. No marks.

It's interesting that people are comparing the game to the one from 20+ years ago.

Players are superior athletes now, in every line. Back then, only the mids put up the massive kms per game. Now every player can run a huge amount per game.

That brings more players around the ball. Cutting numbers on the ground may help, so too kicking backwards is not a live kick, I.e. No marks.
Those players put in the extra kms because they all play essentially as midfielders, congesting the defensive arc and pushing forward and forming a wall around the attacking arc.

It doesn't matter what rule change is made, all players will run to their limit, if they have more rest, they'll run faster when on the ground, less rest and they'll run slower. I think if we want to slow the game down, we need to give the players less rest, which means less players on the bench. Anything else is fiddling.

See I think that slowing the game down won't lead to less congestion. Players and the ball will move slower and hence just as much congestion. I think we just have to kick Roos and Lyon and their ilk out of the game before anything will change.

See I think that slowing the game down won't lead to less congestion. Players and the ball will move slower and hence just as much congestion. I think we just have to kick Roos and Lyon and their ilk out of the game before anything will change.
I like your solution to the problem, Boobs :D

If the players are getting tired, they'd be happy to have more stoppages so they can catch their breath. They would prefer not to have the game free-flowing- because they wouldn't be able to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back