Gym & Misc General Health and Fitness Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

i have a question: everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day but i skip it,i have dinner at 7-8 at night and dont eat anything until lunch time the next day about 11ish which means i have fasted for a good 15 hours or so which my theory is during that time my body will use up all that food i had for dinner the previous night especially if im exercising but people say you need breakfast to get metabolisim firing and something about stored fats-could someone please put holes in my theory?

Your first meal of the day is important, the timing of it not so much. You don't need to eat unless you are hungry. Intermittent fasting has become very popular these days and it's exactly how you eating patterns are currently. Your metabolism won't shut down if you don't eat for 15 hours, your metabolism won't fire up because you have eaten. You will burn calories eating that food, but the net calories in the food outweigh what you burn eating/digesting the food.

I'd say people who skip breakfast and over weight (as many experts will claim and lead us to believe) is because of their poor dietary habits not because of what time they eat their food. Their mentality is most likely "i didn't eat breakfast so now i can have the meat pie, coke and a packet of chips for lunch and pizza for dinner"

Anyone have some training tips to do well in the beep test?

Have 4-6 weeks to train to hopefully do quite well in the beep test.

So far been training a week or 2. First just started with 2-3km runs as i hadnt ran for a while. Then in the last 5 days ive been going on the treadmill starting on 8.5km speed upping 0.5km every minute and trying to keep going for as long as possible. Also did a 10km start and up 1km speed after each minute.

Will probably do the actual test a few times.

Think im on the right track, just seeing if anyone else has trained for similar or the beep itself before. Im trying to run about 5 times a week.

So far been training a week or 2. First just started with 2-3km runs as i hadnt ran for a while. Then in the last 5 days ive been going on the treadmill starting on 8.5km speed upping 0.5km every minute and trying to keep going for as long as possible. Also did a 10km start and up 1km speed after each minute.

Think im on the right track, just seeing if anyone else has trained for similar or the beep itself before. Im trying to run about 5 times a week.

Don't you already play WAFL? Doing that and training for a beep could be too much. Maybe try some pool work, even some underwater pool work. It will improve your cardio but be good on your body, especially with the impact you're already going through.

Here is a video of Carlos Condit, a UFC athlete, who was preparing for a title fight. Leading up to the fight he would do a lot of pool work. About 22:30 into the clip is where to pool work starts.

Don't you already play WAFL? Doing that and training for a beep could be too much. Maybe try some pool work, even some underwater pool work. It will improve your cardio but be good on your body, especially with the impact you're already going through.

Here is a video of Carlos Condit, a UFC athlete, who was preparing for a title fight. Leading up to the fight he would do a lot of pool work. About 22:30 into the clip is where to pool work starts.

Nah havnt played for a couple of years now. If i was i wouldnt need to train for a beep test ha

Whats the best way to improve fitness in regards to heart rate. Is it to push it towards its max or is it to keep it at a certain point before max and keep it in that area for as long as possible?

i had to do a beep test to get in my job i found always train to go above the required level so on the day it is actually easier also dont go too fast too early- if you miss a beep and they say make the next one so be it its better than getting there too early and have to wait for the next beep and losing your rhythim,also some people put both feet over the line all you have to do is touch line with your far foot pivot and go again rather than doing a big u turn

i had to do a beep test to get in my job i found always train to go above the required level so on the day it is actually easier also dont go too fast too early- if you miss a beep and they say make the next one so be it its better than getting there too early and have to wait for the next beep and losing your rhythim,also some people put both feet over the line all you have to do is touch line with your far foot pivot and go again rather than doing a big u turn

is that like in some sports like soccer and footy where the whole ball needs to be over the line?

Really what job?

Yeh i use to actually like getting there early and turning a bit early before the beep - slight cheating but 2 steps isn't easily seen

They said on Friday night Billy Hartung did a 16.06 Wow.

Just reading the world records 17.1 by a 102kg Fijian rugby player, but ex Tiger Daniel Jackson did a 16.9 and that is equal 10th in the world. Impressive.
Yep 16.6 which is huge i think that broke the 16.1 record held by Brad Hill. Caleb Daniel i believe also did a 16.1 last year.

I know the record i think at the eagles is 16.2

would be a hell of a running competition down at the hawks between hill, hartung and isaac smith over 2-3kms

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep 16.6 which is huge i think that broke the 16.1 record held by Brad Hill. Caleb Daniel i believe also did a 16.1 last year.

Wouldn't have broken Brad Hill's record if Dan Jackson already had a 16.9 who did it in a March 2012 TAC testing

Brad Hill equal 18th in the world

Also interesting their are 4 kookaburras in the top 10

[Edit, I see now what you are referring to, NAB combine records. Its mentioned in that link.

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/records/shuttle-run.htm

Here is all the draft combine records

http://www.topendsports.com/sport/afl/testing-draft-results.htm

Wouldn't have broken Brad Hill's record if Dan Jackson already had a 16.9 who did it in a March 2012 TAC testing

Brad Hill equal 18th in the world

Also interesting their are 4 kookaburras in the top 10

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/records/shuttle-run.htm
What is a TAC testing? Dan Jackson certainly wasnt playing TAC cup then.

He was also talking about draft combine results. Would also be pretty skeptical of alot of those results, no real source on many of them.

And pretty much no club releases their results, and not many teams in the AFL run the beep test anymore.

What is a TAC testing? Dan Jackson certainly wasnt playing TAC cup then.

He was also talking about draft combine results. Would also be pretty skeptical of alot of those results, no real source on many of them.

And pretty much no club releases their results, and not many teams in the AFL run the beep test anymore.
So it must be wrong then.

Haha, Daniel Jackson did do a 16.9, but not the ex Tiger, a different Dan Jackon it was. Ooops.

"Countless first-rate performances were recorded on the day, with the Beep Test providing a platform for many players to shine. A TAC Cup record was broken with Daniel Jackson from the Gippsland Power reaching level 16.9 in the Beep Test. Daniel was followed closely by Lachlan Whitfield (Dandenong Stingrays) who recorded 16.3 and Jonathan O’Rourke (Calder Cannons) 15.9. Final results from the others tests are still being processed and will be added to the website when available."

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc...ID=69677&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=18637803

Yeh teams seem to prefer the 2-3km time trials a measure of fitness now. Also think maybe some lean towards the MAS run instead of a beep.

The beep really doesn't simulate AFL or any sports running. Certainly some guys are better at it than others with the continued increasing/decreasing speed, short burst runs favouring those who have the extra speed gears with that advantages over those who can just run all day but maybe not change gears in speed aswell

Watching search 4 hurt last week with the Kookaburras and their mind blowing speed an agility, then noticing they have 4 in the top 10 beep tested, it appears to be perfect for that sport.

i imagine it is taxing that sport. you're constantly needing to bend down to play the ball. i know a former olympian in the sport and i shall ask him

I thought there was some international squash champion who had been recorded finishing the beep test?

Can't seem to find anything on google so maybe it was an urban legend.

#1 - do you have a number you have to reach or is just to see where you're at?

#2 - will it be tested later on as well?

you need long duration steady state cardio (as boring as it is) but you can do anything as long as your heart rate is btw 130 - 150 (pool, tempo runs, circuit training, boxing etc) although 1 run would be beneficial to work the muscles required in the test

a good idea is to also train the top levels you'll reach and train them in a relative non-fatigued state...so if you think you'll hit 12 something then do a couple of run throughs of 11/12/13...have full rest btw these sets, 8 - 10mins

essentially you need to train at the "bottom/slow" or at the 'top/fast"

#1 - do you have a number you have to reach or is just to see where you're at?

#2 - will it be tested later on as well?

you need long duration steady state cardio (as boring as it is) but you can do anything as long as your heart rate is btw 130 - 150 (pool, tempo runs, circuit training, boxing etc) although 1 run would be beneficial to work the muscles required in the test

a good idea is to also train the top levels you'll reach and train them in a relative non-fatigued state...so if you think you'll hit 12 something then do a couple of run throughs of 11/12/13...have full rest btw these sets, 8 - 10mins

essentially you need to train at the "bottom/slow" or at the 'top/fast"
Nope only 1 test and thats in 4-6 weeks

Basically to do as best i can. My aim was to at least get 12 though. My fitness and running seems to be improving with the training just had a few days off going to do the beep test soon to see where im at.

Ive read a bit and its more pushed towards a combination of lactate training and aerobic training. When you get to 12 you really have only run about 2kms - low 2kms so doing long slow stuff wouldnt be as beneficial would that be right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back