Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

So I didn't get the HM time I was hoping for, although despite some setbacks during the run, I still wasn't too far away.

Nonetheless the end result left me a little flat as I expected to do better and now find myself at a little crossroads as to the direction I will take next. I was a 5% chance of moving on from this run and trying for the full at Melbourne in October but simply feel it is a distance too far at this point. I considered whether I should just make 10km my 'event' distance but have decided I'll go with another HM and see if I can improve on this performance.

I think there's 8-9 weeks until the Melbourne Marathon so I'm going for the HM version of that event.

Won't be doing much running this week though. Have been struck down with a pretty heavy cold just now and feel like crap. Might wander a few slow kms to keep the legs ticking over but generally just RnR for a few days.

Don't be too hard on yourself; any PB is a good result. Especially when you had a bit of bad luck along the way. Perhaps have a couple of weeks off; get the body and mind right and then push on to the next HM. You can then reassess FM after that.

Got a bad feeling I'm screwed for the 21km trail event i'm running on Sunday. Knee pulled up real sore from yesterday's run. Got it worked on last night. Hurt like nothing else. It has flared it up today, hurting to walk down the stairs at work. Not ideal when I'm up & down mountains in two days. Need to be home to the couch & rest the bloody thing.

Got a bad feeling I'm screwed for the 21km trail event i'm running on Sunday. Knee pulled up real sore from yesterday's run. Got it worked on last night. Hurt like nothing else. It has flared it up today, hurting to walk down the stairs at work. Not ideal when I'm up & down mountains in two days. Need to be home to the couch & rest the bloody thing.

Do you know what the issue with your knee is?

I'm hoping its not anything major. ITB pain. I've run though it for a couple of weeks now but a few minutes after l finished ydays run it just tighten right up. Could hardly walk.

From this:

Hey guys, new runner(using the term loosely) here.

I have been running two times a week now in addition to playing basketball 2 times a week. I am running around 6klms it is taking me around 50 mins.

I know this is pretty slow, should I reduce the distance and try to up the pace? Just keep going and bring my time down? Am I over thinking it all?

To this:

Hey guys, I did 5.31 klms in 40mins an average of 7.38 per klm. Was happy to get under the 8 mins.

My fastest klm (1st) was 6.38 and my slowest was my 4th at 9.20 (ill have to get fast running up the hill in the segment of my run).

Thanks for the tips guys, will keep going and try to get this routes time down.

To now being able to knock 5k's in between 25-30 mins, and 10k in around the hour mark. Have run up to 13 k in one go now.

The goal of a HM is there and I have no doubt it will be done.

I entered the HM challenge on strava and will hopefully get it done some time this month.

Also joined the BigFooty Strava group.

From this:

To this:

To now being able to knock 5k's in between 25-30 mins, and 10k in around the hour mark. Have run up to 13 k in one go now.

I entered the HM challenge on strava and will hopefully get it done some time this month.

Good stuff mate! Keep up the good work :thumbsu:

New longest run for me today 15.5km, this one actually had hills :eek::p took almost dead on an hour and a half (5:49/km)

Funny how hills that look non-existent when you are driving them are a tinny bit harder when you have to run them :p all in all pretty happy with that effort.

From this:

To this:

Awesome stuff! You've come a long way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still struggling with my hamstring....went back into full effort running too early last weekend, and pulled up with a reoccuring stain on Monday. Have been getting physio. There has been improvement (no pain anymore) but the physio says I am still a week away from light jogging.

Concentrating on stretching and strengthening so I can get back into it. I so badly want to start up again.....

Funny how hills that look non-existent when you are driving them are a tinny bit harder when you have to run them :p all in all pretty happy with that effort.

Truer words never spoken, lol.

Barely ran this week as I've been crook as a dog. Was hoping for an easy 5km this arvo and perhaps something longer tomorrow.....then I went and slammed my knee cap directly in to the open car door earlier and can barely bend it now. ******* clumsy idiot lol. Seriously nearly spewed I was in that much pain.

Ouch. The shin into the tow ball is a cracker too.

All packed & ready for an early start for tomorrows trail HM. Knee feels a lot better than yday. Not really sure what to expect time wise.

Thanks mate. A long time to have man flu. You seen the doc? How's the knee?

Nah mate no docs visit. Work too flat out :-( I'm sure I'll come good sooner or later.

Knee not restrictive at all in terms of movement. At least not for walking. Managed a walk for a few kms yesterday with the dog and my daughter on her bike. It's a tender as all hell to touch though and like a clumsy git (like how I did it in the first place) I manage to bump it regularly. :D

Doing our town's 8k run weekend after next. Hoping to go sub 45 minutes.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up my running once footy season is done and keep an eye on distance/time etc. so I wan't to take my phone with me but I don't like carrying it in my hand. Does anyone have any recommendations for any good cases to keep my phone out of the way?

I understand a GPS watch would be ideal, but probably can't afford one at the moment.

Hey guys,

I'm looking to pick up my running once footy season is done and keep an eye on distance/time etc. so I wan't to take my phone with me but I don't like carrying it in my hand. Does anyone have any recommendations for any good cases to keep my phone out of the way?

I understand a GPS watch would be ideal, but probably can't afford one at the moment.

You can get arm bands that hold your phone. They generally work quite well if you don't mind having it strapped to your arm. There must be a million different ones on amazon.

You can get arm bands that hold your phone. They generally work quite well if you don't mind having it strapped to your arm. There must be a million different ones on amazon.
Yeah this is what I used to use before I got my watch. Still use I now because it's good to keep my phone and keys out of my pockets making it easier to run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back