Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the game, when did he generalise and call us all racists? Your dramatisation of the actual events to support your argument is what's bloody amusing

The players, coaches, all media, basically anyone bound by public perception has called the booing racist -- all people in this thread on his side are saying "booing is considered vilification of Goodes" as well.

Are you delusional or something? That means that they believe the West Coast crowd was vilifying Goodes racially.

Pridham said the same in that Monday statement, and spoke for Goodes. They all think this years booing has been racist society booing an indigenous figure.

People need to curtail the mental gymnastics for once. Stick up for the bloke, don't lie.

Booing of Adam, one single indigenous person, is considered in the public sphere to be racist now -- And like it or not a lot of people treat that view as censorship, restricting freedom of express (which is a real thing in our constitution, dont lie), and from the AFL a metaphoric gun to the fans heads, who fund their industry.

Last edited:

There seems to be a bit of angst about Adam's AOTY speech - when he told the truth of what happened.

Probably more ANGST over a footballer being given the award in the first place & the accompanying perception that it was only BECAUSE of his aboriginality that he received the award....As a political gesture of appeasement.

It's fair to say that he's run with that line ever since, & has confused the football stage for the political dias, and football fans with 'guilt-ridden' agenda appeasing politicians.

He & his PR media machine have seriously miscalculated & misinterpreted the common football-going fan....We aint politicians & we don't like em.

What's worse still, is The NSW Govt, Sydney, The AFL & it's media machine playing political football with our great game.

Well the moral high ground gives me a boost to start with. I just build from there.

Those who have to state they have a moral high ground usually have hypocrisy they can't even see in themselves.

You've shown your bigotry and willful disdain to significant portions of the county who disagree with you that likely includes not just whites but asians, aboriginal, torres straight islanders, maori's, africans and other races and ethnicities within those who choose not to like one individual within one race, Adam Goodes. Real moral of you!

Your moral high ground is a shaky step ladder.

Yes none of the booing has a racial element at all. Nobody booing even knows he was called an ape or King Kong or did a war dance or spoke out about racism or was made AOTY for his indigenous rights work. The people booing don't even know he is aboriginal or that he thinks the booing is racist. They just love their footy and are passionate.

Stawman arguments aren't very productive.

Why call me Eddie? I don't know what that means let alone what you're trying to achieve by doing that.

For you there could only be one answer apparently. I think that says more about you than it does about the girl tbh. For me, there could be a few possible reasons. What I find amusing though, is that you're trying to indoctrinate the idea that there can only be one possible reason, that's it, 100%, no room for any other possibility. I find that to be a very narrow type of thinking and just flat out reject it.

Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists...

I wouldn't give two hoots if it's just random flogs on BF. But the fact that this is the line Pridham tows and more and more coaches/media whoevers and joining in is what concerns me.

Razor Ray united everyone in their hatred of him.

Twatty little dwarf maggot.
538387-257da84c-0951-11e4-b520-c4b498d9eaca.jpg

The players, coaches, all media, basically anyone bound by public perception has called the booing racist -- all people in this thread on his side are saying "booing is considered vilification of Goodes" as well.

Are you delusional or something? That means that they believe the West Coast crowd was vilifying Goodes racially.

Pridham said the same in that Monday statement, and spoke for Goodes. They all think this years booing has been racist society booing an indigenous figure.

People need to curtail the mental gymnastics for once. Stick up for the bloke, don't lie.

Booing of Adam, one single indigenous person, is considered in the public sphere to be racist now -- And like it or not a lot of people treat that view as censorship, restricting freedom of express (which is a real thing in our constitution, dont lie), and from the AFL a metaphoric gun to the fans heads, who fund their industry.

=====

I loved last night though. After a ridiculous week of outrage circle jerking in the media, I thought FNF was amazing. Why? Goodes was hardly mentioned. Brief few words at the top, zero hysteria involved, and rarely a reference of the story in the coverage. No puff piece BS. Really proud of channel 7 not trying to sway the country on what is clearly a nuanced and divided issue.

The footy united us :thumbsu:

WTF are you talking about?????

The my post was in response to an accusation that Goodes accused all 70,000 people at the Collingwood game as being 'racist' when he identified the girl for the slur.

Your response is exactly why we find ourselves in this situation, so many people are so quick to shoot from the hip with their own rhetoric without knowing the full facts when forming their opinion.

Apology accepted :thumbsu:

Someone's probably already posted this but I'm not sifting through 400+ pages to find out.

View attachment 158194
Haha Strikes me that if you dislike 'players who stage for free kicks'-the booing would never stop.
Could we get anymore childish? Could we get anymore self-entitled?
Are we the ones on the field doing the hard work or are we the ones sitting in the stands taking pot shots?
And who is it with the character flaws?

Yes none of the booing has a racial element at all. Nobody booing even knows he was called an ape or King Kong or did a war dance or spoke out about racism or was made AOTY for his indigenous rights work. The people booing don't even know he is aboriginal or that he thinks the booing is racist. They just love their footy and are passionate.
Please don't start the false dichotomies again. I think Monkey King is saying there are people who boos that are racist, and there are people who honestly don't know what ape means in regard to aborigines, but most people fall between.

The my post was in response to an accusation that Goodes accused all 70,000 people at the Collingwood game as being 'racist' when he identified the girl for the slur.

Apology accepted :thumbsu:

Jesus. Are you sure someone said that? That sounds as batshit as calling all people booing Adam Goodes racist.

Both sides of the spectrum now? :p You are right. I apologise.

Someone's probably already posted this but I'm not sifting through 400+ pages to find out.

157696_e6830ec02bf64528413bdcaf82d3db04.jpg

Thank you. Sane picture summing it up perfectly. There are 3 categories. Two major ones and one really tiny portion (racists)

Goodes should have this viewpoint, but he does disregard his on-field past for his "reputation" and have a victim complex based on half of his genealogy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have never hated Goodes and the Sydney Swans more than I do right now.

F**k you, f**k your media puppets, and especially f**k the AFL.

All it took was for people to turn on the AFLs biggest ever pet cheat and we now have media saturation and the involvement of many that haven't ever given so much as a rats arse about the sport itself chiming in to tell everyone how they need to behave.

This is a complete manipulation of what's happened over the last few years to attempt to protect the AFLs poster boy in Sydney once and for all. The AFL have jumped all over it.

I still shake my head at how he won that second brownlow. Just amazing.

I just want to say sorry, whatever it was that happened to make you such a bitter and twisted individual is a travesty for humanity. In all honesty, no-one deserves to live a life that is filled with so much hatred.

Jesus. Are you sure someone said that? That sounds as batshit as calling all people booing Adam Goodes racist.

Both sides of the spectrum now? :p You are right. I apologise.

It was quoted in my post, it was there in black and white (pardon the pun). You conveniently overlooked it so that you could blindly use your own unfounded rhetoric to support your agenda.

Why call me Eddie? I don't know what that means let alone what you're trying to achieve by doing that.

For you there could only be one answer apparently. I think that says more about you than it does about the girl tbh. For me, there could be a few possible reasons. What I find amusing though, is that you're trying to indoctrinate the idea that there can only be one possible reason, that's it, 100%, no room for any other possibility. I find that to be a very narrow type of thinking and just flat out reject it.

The attempt for every commentator to leap from one high horse and try and find another high horse is amazing. If the media was truly outraged, why has it taken 18 months for them to get on board? If they felt it was so abhorrent this racist booing - why didn't media commentators raise this 2 weeks ago? or a month ago?

About the only one who has is Caroline Wilson - everyone else is just a sheep attempting to have their voice heard and be relevant. To do so they extend to try and break new ground. Heard on the radio that booing in general now is supposedly off the agenda in entirety - so Hayden Ballantyne punches Kieren Jack and we are supposed to believe the Swans aren't going to boo him.. this is complete overreach.

Equally there are those who try and claim the booing has no racist elements at all and will bring up tenuous examples to cover all of the booing

Clearly there are racial elements within the crowd that boo Goodes. To deny this is ridiculous beyond belief.

Similarly to label everyone that has booed him as a racist and/or bigot is equally folly.

The timing of the booing started after the AOTY - for some it was clearly racial, others tall poppy, others simply for the many aforementioned onfield reasons. All of a sudden it became a "thing" to boo Goodes. For a vast multitude of reasons. Once it became a thing everyone got on board and it leapt from crowd to crowd.

The perception from Goodes is the entire booing is racist, for many they may genuinely have not been their intent. There can be a major disconnect between intent and perception - and that doesn't make Goodes or the crowd wrong - just misunderstood. Again in equal measures a white person telling a black person how to feel/perceive is just straight out wrong, equally a white person being told they can't have rational thought on racism is equally wrong.

Going forward I think the booing will stop. For most who got on board it was just a thing that you do at the footy like woofing when Ang Christou kicks the ball or chanting Root, Root, Root when he scores a 4. Those (which i feel are the majority) who didn't do it for racial reasons will stop because the "fun and theatre" of the booing is no longer there as it is clear now that this is more than just the onfield villain role, but causing major division in the country. So for the main it will (should) stop.

Ultimately, aside from the racial taunts, what I find most disheartening in this discussion is the view that there is only two completely polar opposite camps. Reasoned debate and labels are thrown out in an attempt to drive the argument further and further apart.

"Moral blindness. Every single black person in the eyes of white people is the sign of a terrible crime from their ugly past, a reminder that their life is a fraud, that they are pretty much nothing more than armed robbers. But it is hard for them to simply own up to their past and make it right. Instead they deny, shift blame, lie, twist facts and make black people into these creatures that they look down on, laugh at and yet, oddly, fear. It is a failed attempt to be at peace with themselves. This is why whites need to give reparations more than blacks need to receive it."

http://euroamerican.org/wordpress/index.php/2013/03/10/white-fear-of-black-men/

This is why they Boo Adam Goodes, what ever they say, same as why Kanye West is so despised racism plus tall poppy syndrome plus cognitive censorship, if they can't admit this.

Who are "they"? Any white person who boo Goodes? Seriously if you believe this are you prepared to go to a Swans games, walk up to the first person booing Goodes, look them in the eyes and tell them:
"Every single black person in your eyes is the sign of a terrible crime from your ugly past, a reminder that your life is a fraud, that you are pretty much nothing more than armed robber. But it is hard for you to simply own up to your past and make it right. Instead you deny, shift blame, lie, twist facts and make black people into these creatures that you look down on, laugh at and yet, oddly, fear. It is a failed attempt to be at peace with yourself"?

Please don't start the false dichotomies again. I think Monkey King is saying there are people who boos that are racist, and there are people who honestly don't know what ape means in regard to aborigines, but most people fall between.
And of the "most people", why do they boo Goodes longer and harder than anyone else?

Well done Goodes. Christensen returns to Geelong and not a boo is heard.

Absolutely no atmosphere in the game at all and the spectacle of the game is much worse off. All because of one flog who screams racism because he can't believe anyone can dislike him.

It was quoted in my post, it was there in black and white (pardon the pun). You conveniently overlooked it so that you could blindly use your own unfounded rhetoric to support your agenda.

I said sorry :p

It's not unfounded just because you don't agree with it. And it's not an agenda. Your side is the one with the racial agenda of censorship and condoning draconian society shaming measures without proof. Unless you aren't in favour of such things and I'm mistaken -- in that case feel free to allow the booing of Adam Goodes on grounds its a football match, some people happen to not like him for the reasons outlaid in the poll.

As to the quote I never read, fair enough, that guy was clearly a loon or misinterpreted something to come to that conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back