2015 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond flirted with danger (Hey Patrick x) with those kicks across half back that barely were marked, they got the ball to the outside immediately and kept it moving.

Fast hands to space aren't a big strength of ours, we tend to bash through or short handball backwards. Our kicks at half back to marks will be tense watching if we play like Richmond.

Richmond never bombed it into the forward line hoping for a contested mark or crumb either like we do. That's where our inside 50 is really inefficient. Their ball use last night was pretty sublime. Rarely any fumbles or turnovers.

Richmond never bombed it into the forward line hoping for a contested mark or crumb either like we do. That's where our inside 50 is really inefficient. Their ball use last night was pretty sublime. Rarely any fumbles or turnovers.

Yeah they did but it was a last resort and it was well set up. They always had a tall around the 50 just in case and when the long kick was taken the rest of the Tigers knew exactly where it was headed so were able to get there to crumb or as was mostly the case, tie it up for another stoppage and avoid it getting straight back out like it does with us.

Yeah they did but it was a last resort and it was well set up. They always had a tall around the 50 just in case and when the long kick was taken the rest of the Tigers knew exactly where it was headed so were able to get there to crumb or as was mostly the case, tie it up for another stoppage and avoid it getting straight back out like it does with us.

They also kicked to advantage. That mark in the second to maric was a case in point. Slightly to his right so he could work the defender away from the ball

There's always a lot of talk about ball movement but I always think of Richmond as full of strong players who are good in the 1 on 1s. That must be a big factor against the Hawks who steamroll most sides.

That it wasn't unexpected that Richmond would win. Hardwick knows how to beat them. He worked with Clarkson at both Port and Hawthorn, he knows the Hawthorn style better than any other coach.
I would say simmo knows them just as well, will be interesting next week

Sorry, but his open love of Wayne Carey in the 90s even made a gay couple I'm friends with giggle. He has always been a tosser.
Yeah you are right he's always been overrated, just was nowhere near as bad back then.

Poppy! Poppy!! POPPY!!!

:rolleyes:

Sorry, but his open love of Wayne Carey in the 90s even made a gay couple I'm friends with giggle. He has always been a tosser.
Very true. In some ways I've learned to tolerate Bruce with time cos despite going on too much about his favorites and lapsing into overexcitement, he at least knows his limits, unlike, say Zempilas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah you are right he's always been overrated, just was nowhere near as bad back then.

Poppy! Poppy!! POPPY!!!

:rolleyes:
Hehehe, maybe I'm more tolerant now. But the king is just sooooo special! Special!! Special!!!.
I'm not more tolerant now, just more grumpy.

Yeah they moved it slowly and carefully out of defence, but it seemed on a couple of occasions when both teams were pressed up pretty hard they chose to go the run and long kick.

Especially when Deledio is one out in the forward 50. That's almost as good as having Fyfe one on one.

Yeah they moved it slowly and carefully out of defence, but it seemed on a couple of occasions when both teams were pressed up pretty hard they chose to go the run and long kick.

Especially when Deledio is one out in the forward 50. That's almost as good as having Fyfe one on one.
Yep, I think this is the heart of it - at some point you have to be prepared to take on the game and beat a man (or three). It is fine to move it slowly out of defense, but it needs to be lateral or forward, not backwards unless there is a definite outlet on the other side and you can get it moving quickly.

We need to see more guys prepared to take it on, risk making a mistake and get the ball forward quickly.

Yep, I think this is the heart of it - at some point you have to be prepared to take on the game and beat a man (or three). It is fine to move it slowly out of defense, but it needs to be lateral or forward, not backwards unless there is a definite outlet on the other side and you can get it moving quickly.

We need to see more guys prepared to take it on, risk making a mistake and get the ball forward quickly.

You're right, a very open "v" is fine to switch it but I'm sure in that GC game we moved the ball more their way than they did themselves. And it always backfired because we went straight back in line from the play so it was easy to attack the contest.

I think we're much more open to taking risks and moving the ball quickly, we just have guys who's disposal isn't quite up to the task.

Last night Richmond did go when they had the chance on the outside, but when the Hawks were set up, they held on to the ball with extreme patience, and sometimes went long up the boundary or to a pack inside fifty if close enough.

I reckon we actually try to switch into the corridor pretty regularly. When it comes off it pays dividends, but when we fluff it it's very costly.

I think we're much more open to taking risks and moving the ball quickly, we just have guys who's disposal isn't quite up to the task.

Last night Richmond did go when they had the chance on the outside, but when the Hawks were set up, they held on to the ball with extreme patience, and sometimes went long up the boundary or to a pack inside fifty if close enough.

I reckon we actually try to switch into the corridor pretty regularly. When it comes off it pays dividends, but when we fluff it it's very costly.
Yeah, I guess it's knowing when to hold and when to fold...

Really need Johnno back at 100% if we're going to beat the Hawks with that sort of movement I think. I'd really like to see Clancee down in the back pocket ala 2013 too as I trust his kicking a bit more than any of our other backmen bar Johnson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back