Roast The Ugly v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, but understand two things. You might not function fully and you will have good and bad days. And, they've lost their coach. campo is trying but is he the right one? And it's so hard on him as well, expected to pull these guys together knowing they'll have good and bad days.
Players are entitled to have their bad days yes but I would think that it shouldn't be game day as that is something that should take their mind off of it

If there is anyone left who believes David Mackay or Ricky Henderson are AFL standard footballers, punch yourself in the face. Ta.
I wasn't happy with Hendersons intensity and attack on the ball last week and miraculously the same performance was dished up this week. That ball he decided to not mark and let go out in the second term sums him up. Mackays foot skills are poor. Gets the ball and burns it, so ineffective. I have those two gone before Wright.
The rest of the side didn't turn up, were soundly beaten to the ball and comprehensively outclassed. It was a nightmare of a game. On the edge of the top eight with a tough run home you would think it is time to take a punt, send the plodders packing back to the snaffle, and play the guys who are on the edge and possibilities to factor in our 2016 and 2017 seasons. And Thommo, if it was me you would be phased out for MCrouch who actually beat Kennedy and outstrenghted him a couple of times in the last. Sydney's backline destroyed us when we actually got it in with terrible kicking, including Danger who needs to change his wheels. Charlie Cameron, you put long stops on if it's slippery son. Tex, get up the ground and throw your weight around if it's cold. Richards wouldn't like you doing that. Backline got no help in coverage from the mids defensive action. Just a nightmare.

Tl;Dr We were poo.

The distraction of Kurt Tippett did not help today that is for sure. We would have been a very different team if Vince and Tippett stayed.

has to be a virus going through the team...they need to offer some sort of excuse for that display!

Selection is where we really need to apply the blowtorch. The constant mishandling of Crouch cannot be allowed to continue. There is nobody outside the selection panel, except NT Rabbit, who thinks its correct. Hell, even Roo expressed his dissatifaction with it.
Crouch is out of contract this year, there would be a heap of Vic clubs approching him, and if we lost or traded him after getting rid of Vince to get him then the club needs to fold.
While Im not a great wrap for Atkins, bringing him in for two games as a sub and then sending him back to the SANFL is poor. If you give him a shot at least let him have one full game to show what he can do.
The dropping of CEY was poor.
Grigg going out injured and then not coming back when he was better is poor.
The selection of non performers like Wright and MacKay over players like CEY, Crouch, Grigg etc is mind boggling. For Noble to then come out and dribble the s**t he did about nonstatistical BS is inept.
Its like the keystone cops down at West Lakes.

has to be a virus going through the team...they need to offer some sort of excuse for that display!
We just need to accept that we are crap not the first time today this has happened look at the Bulldogs game and were very lucky to get over Carlton and Brisbane

I can't believe how Sydney overcame so much adversity to win tonight. So Brave, dat Culture. Seriously, though we need to take the blinkers off. We're probably the 10-12th ranked team in the comp and are unlikely to go up the ladder with the current playing and Coaching group.

Im not one to tell people how they should post, but please keep in mind this is a very young and inexperienced group, whos coach was murdered less than a month ago, and who for 2 weeks running have had late outs through illness.

I expect better of them than this, but try to keep things in context.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But statistically speaking the more he gets its the higher the clangers. It's a blessing for us that he had few disposals.

See, you've used statistics in an evaluation of Mackay, so, straight away, you're off the mark.

You know they aren't a factor in judging his performance.

I can't believe how Sydney overcame so much adversity to win tonight. So Brave, dat Culture. Seriously, though we need to take the blinkers off. We're probably the 10-12th ranked team in the comp and are unlikely to go up the ladder with the current playing and Coaching group.
In hindsight the hiring of Sando ruined our culture he was always Geelong this Geelong that never truly established his own ethics, Walsh was on the way to turning it around but truth be told we have lost alot of respect since Neil Craig was sacked for a long time we were always considered a very professional side who always competed not so much anymore

I can't believe people are analysing that performance. Are you all honest to god that out of touch?

There is nothing to read into that game beyond what happened to our senior coach four weeks ago. Nothing.

The showdown glow is gone. These boys lost a father figure, a man whose plan they believed in unlike any before it, and a man of rare emotional intelligence. They are broken. Every time they think about what they need to do, it's him. Every time they look for strength, for leadership, it's him. That is what he was there to be for these boys. That beacon. That centre. Take one look at the post match. They're not processing a lost game of footy.

Credit to Campo for whittling it to the simple formula one message in the final term, something they could focus on and run with. But gee whiz, it's hard watching them go through this. What a cruel turn of events for these poor boys.

Well, I guess that doesn't apply to the players in the SANFL then, as they have a different coach? Maybe they should bring a few of them up; maybe they'll cope a little better. They're playing pretty good footy at the moment.

EVERYBODY looked flat - if its a virus and next we we come out with intensity I'll overlook the poor game.

I also thought about fitness.... did we lose fitness over the round off and have really had a heavy training load this week?

If it's neither of those, then heads need to roll.

We missed goals. Just energy sapping when you do that. Especially so if either of the above is true and we are feeling flat to begin with.

Sydney was always going to bounce back after two poor weeks. It was a perfect storm for them to come out firing.

We needed CEY out there. We miss having a big bodied midfielder against physical sides.

Last week Wright was worse than Mackay. This week the other way around. They both really need to make way to stop this race to being the 23rd player.

We just never made any position. If you don't make position you are never going to have an effective disposal as the opposition wins the ball. I'm really starting to think that players not working hard/smart enough to get into position to recieve the ball are more of a problem than the kicking. It makes the kick even harder to execute if you call for the ball without having positional advantage over your opponent.

I can't believe people are analysing that performance. Are you all honest to god that out of touch?

There is nothing to read into that game beyond what happened to our senior coach four weeks ago. Nothing.

The showdown glow is gone. These boys lost a father figure, a man whose plan they believed in unlike any before it, and a man of rare emotional intelligence. They are broken. Every time they think about what they need to do, it's him. Every time they look for strength, for leadership, it's him. That is what he was there to be for these boys. That beacon. That centre. Take one look at the post match. They're not processing a lost game of footy.

Credit to Campo for whittling it to the simple formula one message in the final term, something they could focus on and run with. But gee whiz, it's hard watching them go through this. What a cruel turn of events for these poor boys.
You know that is terrible to use it as an excuse I would think that if anything they would want to honor the man and continue his work or maybe we have a bunch of mentally weak players who arnt capable of doing that

Even with Walsh we put it performances like this (see the bulldogs game) not to mention the Lions game where we were deplorable for 3 quaters

For mine there was some good today but not much of it. Decided on doing a little player review.

Jenkins- Tried hard and got some reward for effort. Being our best big guy other than Talia is sad for us.

Thommo- outworked again. Games like today should make him reassess where he's at.

Lever- When he builds strength he will be able to do things he thinks he can already. Love the confidence but pick the moments.

Rory- Started well but faded. Think the helmet bothers him actually.

Wright- If he is awarded the goal his stats and game impact matched Lyons. One is lauded, the other smashed. Both are SANFL players.

Talia- Unlucky to conceed 2 goals and was up against it with our mids flying the white flag.

Tex- Richards is finished and still made him look bad. Something wasn't right tonight.

DMac- So very awful.

Hartigan- Wasn't awful but we need a replacement.

Brown- Showed some dash which was great to see. A pass for Luke.

Eddie- Another who wasn't himself. Fumbling and falling over, he looks spent.

Charlie- Horrible. DMac like tackling and Wright like kicking. Been up for a bit so can be forgiven.

Sauce- Utterly deatroyed by a newb and a flog.

Dougy- Down on recent weeks.

Lynch- You get what you get. Some utterly pathetic coupled with brilliant. 3 goals shows his importance, sadly so do the errors.

Laird- Worst game of the year.

Lyons- Did some good with ball in hand and some poor defensively. Thats him in a nutshell. He gets another week though to settle.

Danger- Kicking was poor, effort great. Deserved a goal for the workrate.

Smithers- Another poor game in a poor season.

Knight- Thought he was OK if a bit vanilla. Not sure why he was subbed though.

Crouch- Wins the ball, play him next week. Like his midfield partners he lacks defence but who cares when he wins it most times.

Hendo- No point running it if you can't kick it.

You know that is terrible to use it as an excuse I would think that if anything they would want to honor the man and continue his work or maybe we have a bunch of mentally weak players who arnt capable of doing that

Even with Walsh we put it performances like this (see the bulldogs game) not to mention the Lions game where we were deplorable for 3 quaters

Yeah. Sure.

If falling over was a stat Mackay would be in serious danger of losing his position in the team as a non statistical player.

And on that note Wright is in serious danger of losing his spot for directly disobeying coaches orders. had something like 10 touches at half time and kicked a (disallowed) goal.

fortunately he really hit his straps in the second half and barely touched it. really kept us in it.

EVERYBODY looked flat - if its a virus and next we we come out with intensity I'll overlook the poor game.

I also thought about fitness.... did we lose fitness over the round off and have really had a heavy training load this week?

If it's neither of those, then heads need to roll.

We missed goals. Just energy sapping when you do that. Especially so if either of the above is true and we are feeling flat to begin with.

Sydney was always going to bounce back after two poor weeks. It was a perfect storm for them to come out firing.

We needed CEY out there. We miss having a big bodied midfielder against physical sides.

Last week Wright was worse than Mackay. This week the other way around. They both really need to make way to stop this race to being the 23rd player.

We just never made any position. If you don't make position you are never going to have an effective disposal as the opposition wins the ball. I'm really starting to think that players not working hard/smart enough to get into position to recieve the ball are more of a problem than the kicking. It makes the kick even harder to execute if you call for the ball without having positional advantage over your opponent.
Your last paragraph regarding work rate to position is spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back