Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd quarter, 7 minute Mark

one of the more absurd things in this debacle.

There were also flyers instructing fans to turn their back at halftime for support.

View attachment 158304[/QUOTE
It's more serious than I thought then. I have been in here making light of it, excepting for the memory of hughes, but isn't that poster a bridge too far? Is this how we really want to progress? It almost looks militant, very confrontational. What's going on? The people who need our help, the disadvantaged are being aided by any of this how?

The reason that analogy doesn't work is because the people booing can simply stop booing, but it's unfair to ask Muslims to simply stop being Muslims. For your analogy to hold, you'd have to be willing to argue that these requests are equally reasonable. They're not.

just to be clear i'm not using muslim for any reason other than muslim terrorists are the most plentiful in the news. were there numerous christian terrorists (and you could make a case there are) then i'd use them.

with regards to my analogy, i'd think any request to abandon a position if it were to stop providing cover for f**king killers is perfectly reasonable. i'll put most peoples rights to live above someone's beliefs every day. so yeah, i'd say my request would be more reasonable, were i to make it.

but it's not my request, it's yours with the substitutions. and it's meant to make you notice that the over-simplified association between muslims and terrorists is just as stupid as booers and racists. the "providing cover for..." argument is the the kind of weasel-faced rhetoric used by politicians, persecutors, war-starters and AFL 360 types alike. and it requires you to have made the "racists have increased the booing" link where none has been made.

Can I ask, honestly, what position are you actually trying to defend?

on the goodes issue? my central position is that it is not clear, in any way shape or form, that any of the cases of increased booing are now racial. i see no provable or even logically arguable way to make "more booing = racism". it requires mental contortions and the abandonment of logic (at least as i understand it) to even imagine that. it also it also requires the fallacy of special pleading to make it a case that applies only to adam goodes and not any other sportsperson, or team, or umpire that has ever been booed, and booed louder.

i don't like bullying, and if adam goodes says he is now hurt by it then it is unarguable that he is feeling hurt. and if actual harm to adam was imminent or likely, i'm even sympathetic to the booing being toned down to the decebel or participation levels that were acceptable to adam goodes onece upon a time. you know, about as loud the time when he thought it was a mark of respect.

i wish somebody had a decibel meter at the grounds back then to record the "BOO" volume. we could now have a live, needle-type "BOO" decibel meter on the big screen which had a green zone marked 'respect' and a red zone marked 'racist'. just so the crowd would know when cover was, or wasn't adequate for the racists to continue their operations.

Carey did not get booed every time he touched the ball.

Really ? I'd wonder what Goodes reaction would have been in he had been on the receiving end of some of the most revolting and vile invective I've ever heard directed at a player when Carey played for the Crows.

But hey, can't compare the two, can we. :rolleyes: Fact is it eventually petered off because Carey
1. Ignored it and
2. Thrived on it - made him play better the more he got booed.

3rd quarter, 7 minute Mark

one of the more absurd things in this debacle.

There were also flyers instructing fans to turn their back at halftime for support.

View attachment 158304

Ha Ha, so it was an organised political rally prior to the game!!!

OMG, why did not anyone tell me so I could put a house on the Swans!!:p

No wonder Adelaide drew blanks!!

Is that why Swans supporters only turn up when Swans are winners? They are a political club for elite??

Last edited:
You can't rewrite history with sound-bites and out of context quotes. Goodes did everything he could to ensure that the girl in question wasn't hung out to dry.

Strange post. I'm not rewriting anything. Goodes actually said that. And I never suggested he hung the girl out to dry. I have no idea what you're talking about at this point.

Really ? I'd wonder what Goodes reaction would have been in he had been on the receiving end of some of the most revolting and vile invective I've ever heard directed at a player when Carey played for the Crows.

But hey, can't compare the two, can we. :rolleyes: Fact is it eventually petered off because Carey
1. Ignored it and
2. Thrived on it - made him play better the more he got booed.
Have no doubt Carey copped some abuse but he simply did not get booed every time he touched the ball.
ps I suspect that Goodes has copped every bit of vile invective that Carey copped, and then some.
You only have to read the nasty, vitriolic postings on here to see that. The hatred spilling forth is truly astounding.

Replace "the field" by "the Libs" and this could be the ALP poster next election.

Swans cannot win by themselves can they!!

What do the bloods think? It is not even a footy club but a political organisation up in Sydney!!!

They won with Cola, and everything given to them, they seek entitlement and welfare, they rely on Government and AFL HQ to support them, no wonder they lack spirit, leadership and soul!!!:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely 100% ridiculous now,

The media and AFL have really dropped the ball on this
Thinking about it in my experience in going to Subiaco countless times since 1996 I've never heard even a single racist comment, ever. In WA local footy can only think of 2 incidents in juniors and they were both 20 years ago..

Hey I've probably been extremely lucky but this so called big issue in our country's favourite footy code is IMO massively overblown. In every team I've played in all aboriginal players have always been welcomed with open arms and generally got along very well with everybody.

Have no doubt Carey copped some abuse but he simply did not get booed every time he touched the ball.
ps I suspect that Goodes has copped every bit of vile invective that Carey copped, and then some.
You only have to read the nasty, vitriolic postings on here to see that. The hatred spilling forth is truly astounding.

Doubt it

If "ape" sent him spare what Carey copped would have had him throwing conniptions

I haven't seen anyone abusing Goodes. Just a bunch of football fans booing him.

The only people I've seen that have been abused are the football fans and the conservatives in the media who've called bullshit on racism.

Up until last weekend, the only time I heard of anyone abusing Goodes was back in May 2013 when a thirteen year old girl called him an ape. Some chose to see this as racial abuse, while others included the very real possibility that "ape" was a more generic abusive term that a kid might use towards a big, hairy, muscly footballer.

This appears to be the source of the disconnect.

A large percentage of people viewed this unquestionably as racist abuse and supported everything Goodes did in the aftermath. Many other people thought the 13yo girl should've been given the benefit of the doubt and they were unhappy at the way Goodes politicised her name-calling with a scripted soundbite. She did in fact claim that she wasn't racially abusing him - but nobody seemed to care about that. She was the "face of racism".

None of Goodesy's supporters want to address this properly. They've tied it up neatly with a bow and labeled it as "racism". Everything which has followed can be traced back to this. Goodes was named 'Australian of the Year' after he pointed the finger a 13 year old girl in the crowd whom he guessed was 14 years old..

The worst excuse is the 13 year old girl one..
The girl repeatedly called him an ape. 13 year olds are fully aware of what racism is, and are fully aware not to call aboriginals apes..

Now, I agree with Goodes, most of the responsibility lies with the parents, and the adults around her... what Goodes said in the interview was spot on... and he DID NOT PUT THE BLAME ON THE GIRL

people keep using this quote:
"Racism had a face...and it was a 13-year-old girl"
without quoting the next sentences...
“To be able to make a stand myself and say ‘racism has a face’ last night and, you know, it was a 13-year-old girl but it’s not her fault. She's 13, she's still so innocent, I don’t put any blame on her. Unfortunately it’s what she hears, the environment she’s grown up in that has made her think it’s okay to call people names. I can guarantee you right now she would have no idea, you know, how it makes anyone feel by calling them an ape … But I think the person that needs the most support is the little girl, you know. People need to get around her, she's 13, she’s uneducated.”

he also said later
"I've had fantastic support over the past 24 hours,' Goodes said.
'I just hope that people give the 13-year-old girl the same sort of support because she needs it, her family needs it, and the people around them need it.
'It's not a witch-hunt, I don't want people to go after this young girl.
'We've just got to help educate society better so it doesn't happen again.'

Now, for the mother of this girl to be still moaning about Goodes, and asking him to apolgise.. is unbelievable
And for people to justify boo-ing Goodes due to this incident.. well what a joke

Thinking about it in my experience in going to Subiaco countless times since 1996 I've never heard even a single racist comment, ever. In WA local footy can only think of 2 incidents in juniors and they were both 20 years ago..

Hey I've probably been extremely lucky but this so called big issue in our country's favourite footy code is IMO massively overblown. In every team I've played in all aboriginal players have always been welcomed with open arms and generally got along very well with everybody.
I've gone to one or two in Melbourne every week for the last few years and have also never heard it at the ground. Plenty of awful things sure but not racism

What a croc of s**t, what clubs have been forced to play in a closed stadium because the fans boo too loudly

Actually what clubs have been forced to play in a closed stadium for making disgraceful monkey chants and throwing bananas onto the ground.
Bayern Munich vs CSKA Moscow - are two clubs. But there are many examples all around the world.

Racism is considered important in most places on the planet.

image.jpg

Bayern Munich vs CSKA Moscow - are two clubs. But there are many examples all around the world.

Racism is considered important in most places on the planet.

View attachment 158313

I just laugh at Swans supporters now, I really do.

They should have told the Adelaide Crows players about the rally and all players could have done a lap around the ground at the beginning in motorcycles.

Oh and where are the donations to the cause???? What, no donations??? Whats up free loaders???:D:p:straining::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::D

Come James Packer, talk is cheap, your father paid the debt off a competing motel provider he gave your father a bed one night famously , why don't you donate $10 million to indigenous causes?? its nothing to a billionaire!!

Last edited:
All good. Believe this instead.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-31/captains-unite-enough-is-enough

"Enough is enough. Enjoy the game, celebrate the success. But don’t boo, jeer or taunt players because of who they are or what they stand for. -- "We’re all human. We’re all in this together. And together we can make a difference." -- The letter goes on to encourage fans to have a zero tolerance approach to vilification. The players encourage fans to report such behavior, as happened at Domain Stadium during the Swans clash against West Coast in round 17.​

Reporting booing of Adam Goodes to a security guard is fair game now, and likely see you ejected if proven like previously reportable acts such as actual vilifying words. And you wonder why a fuss is being arced up? :rolleyes:

So you did lie.
Don't boo is different to booing = racial vilification as you tried to claim.

Thanks for clearing that up!

The worst excuse is the 13 year old girl one..
The girl repeatedly called him an ape. 13 year olds are fully aware of what racism is, and are fully aware not to call aboriginals apes..

Now, I agree with Goodes, most of the responsibility lies with the parents, and the adults around her... what Goodes said in the interview was spot on... and he DID NOT PUT THE BLAME ON THE GIRL

people keep using this quote:
"Racism had a face...and it was a 13-year-old girl"
without quoting the next sentences...
“To be able to make a stand myself and say ‘racism has a face’ last night and, you know, it was a 13-year-old girl but it’s not her fault. She's 13, she's still so innocent, I don’t put any blame on her. Unfortunately it’s what she hears, the environment she’s grown up in that has made her think it’s okay to call people names. I can guarantee you right now she would have no idea, you know, how it makes anyone feel by calling them an ape … But I think the person that needs the most support is the little girl, you know. People need to get around her, she's 13, she’s uneducated.”

he also said later
"I've had fantastic support over the past 24 hours,' Goodes said.
'I just hope that people give the 13-year-old girl the same sort of support because she needs it, her family needs it, and the people around them need it.
'It's not a witch-hunt, I don't want people to go after this young girl.
'We've just got to help educate society better so it doesn't happen again.'

Now, for the mother of this girl to be still moaning about Goodes, and asking him to apolgise.. is unbelievable
And for people to justify boo-ing Goodes due to this incident.. well what a joke
Monkey King this is context

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back