Goulburn Valley FL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i believe that the Echuca junior club could be looking at options...personally the Bendigo option for Echuca is best IMO

A bit sad if United suddenly shut up shop only a couple of years after winning/playing off for premierships.

Why are you so keen on the Bendigo option for Echuca Ringo? (and I think you have mentioned Rochy in this) Ard you talking pathways? TAC stuff? Survival? I still struggle to comprehend that a town the size of Echuca cant support a GVFL-based Echuca. They will compete against Murray league sides in Echuca United and Moama whatever league they find themselves in as well as Heathcote league sides. People seem to have gone cold on the GVFL ...

A bit sad if United suddenly shut up shop only a couple of years after winning/playing off for premierships.

Why are you so keen on the Bendigo option for Echuca Ringo? (and I think you have mentioned Rochy in this) Ard you talking pathways? TAC stuff? Survival? I still struggle to comprehend that a town the size of Echuca cant support a GVFL-based Echuca. They will compete against Murray league sides in Echuca United and Moama whatever league they find themselves in as well as Heathcote league sides. People seem to have gone cold on the GVFL ...
Led to believe there are certain people even within the GVFL's hierachy that believe this. Actually there term was " on the nose " and they continued to qualify it by saying that crowds are down , ratings for various media are down, traditional GVFL people want nothing to do with the GVFL and everyone just has the shits on .

Led to believe there are certain people even within the GVFL's hierachy that believe this. Actually there term was " on the nose " and they continued to qualify it by saying that crowds are down , ratings for various media are down, traditional GVFL people want nothing to do with the GVFL and everyone just has the shits on .

Jeepers Roar, we might as well all pack up then and do a United ... That said, rumours are called rumours for a reason. Clubs run the GVFL not board members or even delegates with opinions that might not reflect the majority of their respective clubs. United need a call to arms and no doubt ex-United folk will respond. It would be a total embarrassment to their entire history if they shut up shop next year. Not sure about Echuca juniors but AFL Vic decrees who plays in which senior league dont they? (In relation to EFC heading to the BFL). Funny how history repeats ... What year in the 70's did they and Rochy fight to get out of the BFL? 1972-ish?

Not much said from Rochy boys on here about the loss against Seymour. I keep talking up Benalla, so this week will test my theory when my old mob play the Saints at Benalla. Should be interesting. Any fear of Aitken or Sanders playing?

Jeepers Roar, we might as well all pack up then and do a United ... That said, rumours are called rumours for a reason. Clubs run the GVFL not board members or even delegates with opinions that might not reflect the majority of their respective clubs. United need a call to arms and no doubt ex-United folk will respond. It would be a total embarrassment to their entire history if they shut up shop next year. Not sure about Echuca juniors but AFL Vic decrees who plays in which senior league dont they? (In relation to EFC heading to the BFL). Funny how history repeats ... What year in the 70's did they and Rochy fight to get out of the BFL? 1972-ish?
Agree with it only being rumour and yet to be proven , but where there is smoke there normally is fire . AFL normally only become involved in transfer of clubs if league don't release or want them . These Echuca and United rumours and Mansfield rumours from a few years ago are not good for the GVFL or local footy in general .

Last edited:
Not much said from Rochy boys on here about the loss against Seymour. I keep talking up Benalla, so this week will test my theory when my old mob play the Saints at Benalla. Should be interesting. Any fear of Aitken or Sanders playing?

Think their could be a few more added to that injury list this week silver! Few sore bodies running around at rochy atm!!

Who wins this weeks blockbuster between Benalla and Rochester and why?
Will the home ground advantage for Benalla and trip from Rochy be factors?

A few rumours doing the rounds, crowds are down massively and in particular benalla , echuca and Shepp clubs . Shepp United is looking to move leagues or fold due to increased workload and lack of volunteers and will have meeting to discuss in next week or so .echuca will apply to go the BFL as soon as possible . Is there any truth or alternatively hopefully someone can confirm these are just frivolous rumours.
These are malicious rumours with no basis of truth on it all

in re

the rumours regarding Shepp United are absolutely false

I have got this straight from the horses mouth re Echuca. 'Gates at Echuca for this year are 30%higher than 2014. Echuca has not discussed the Bendigo League for 18 months and have no desire to leave the GV. Echuca is likely to have 6 out of 7 teams playing finals this year. We are second behind benalla in the GV Champion Club award. Echuca has doubled membership from 2014. Echuca will make a significant profit for 2015. Significant improvements to facilities over past 12 months including lights,netball courts, ground surface and more to come in 2016. Despite lack of senior success, club is in a very strong position'.

The above is great news.... as Ive stated before Brett Stevens and Andrew Briggs are doing a great job.... My own opinion is that I'd love to see them in BFL..but that is guided by junior pathways. Perhaps its time for a GVFL U/16 competition!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have got this straight from the horses mouth re Echuca. 'Gates at Echuca for this year are 30%higher than 2014. Echuca has not discussed the Bendigo League for 18 months and have no desire to leave the GV. Echuca is likely to have 6 out of 7 teams playing finals this year. We are second behind benalla in the GV Champion Club award. Echuca has doubled membership from 2014. Echuca will make a significant profit for 2015. Significant improvements to facilities over past 12 months including lights,netball courts, ground surface and more to come in 2016. Despite lack of senior success, club is in a very strong position'.

The above is great news.... as Ive stated before Brett Stevens and Andrew Briggs are doing a great job.... My own opinion is that I'd love to see them in BFL..but that is guided by junior pathways. Perhaps its time for a GVFL U/16 competition!
This is interesting ringo1 , great news for the Echuca club. I personally don't agree that they should be in the BFL , I think they should stay in the GVFL and have nothing to gain by joining the BFL but a lot to loose. I don't think the BFL is a great deal stronger, if at all stronger, than the MFL and as such EFC by joining the BFL would not continue to be the highest level of footy in the town.
I honestly hope all the rumours are false and the GVFL and all clubs are thriving, although I find it concerning as the rumours I posted came via people with a very strong connection to the GVFL.

Anyone in particular johnno7? Are Aitken and Sanders long term?

Wasn't at training tonight! But sanders will but back after the bye at the earliest and Aiken will still be a few weeks away! Would suspect their will be 3-4 boys out this week with a few others under a cloud!

Bit sad really! Would be good to see benella and Rochy playing each other both at their peak! benella had a number of injuries earlier in the year when these two sides met also

Interesting reading the last few pages. Echuca has been down for the past few years, but they don't seem to have trouble recruiting quality players. They seem to pick up a few good players every year. They have a good record in U18s, but maybe it's the player retention that hurts them. Players go to Melbourne for uni/work and never return.

United is an interesting case. For mine, they've always seen to be the little brother to the Bears and even in their big years in the 1990s they didn't have much support. I remember reading a match report of a Rochy-United game at Deakin from the 1970s or 1980s and players had to keep jumping the fence throughout the game as no one was there to get it for them.

Benalla-Rochy shapes as an interesting game. Rochy has lost Brady Green and Nathan Marrone from what I can see. Benalla are coming good and Rochy has been solid all year. Really good test for both teams.

Seymour-Ky and Euroa-Swans shape as good games too.

"Significant improvements to facilities over past 12 months including lights,netball courts, ground surface and more to come in 2016". Echuca should be a strong club and should have plenty of support and geographically belongs in the GVFL. It would be nice, though, if all clubs across the Campaspe Shire could also benefit to such a degree.

Interesting reading the last few pages. Echuca has been down for the past few years, but they don't seem to have trouble recruiting quality players. They seem to pick up a few good players every year. They have a good record in U18s, but maybe it's the player retention that hurts them. Players go to Melbourne for uni/work and never return.

United is an interesting case. For mine, they've always seen to be the little brother to the Bears and even in their big years in the 1990s they didn't have much support. I remember reading a match report of a Rochy-United game at Deakin from the 1970s or 1980s and players had to keep jumping the fence throughout the game as no one was there to get it for them.

Benalla-Rochy shapes as an interesting game. Rochy has lost Brady Green and Nathan Marrone from what I can see. Benalla are coming good and Rochy has been solid all year. Really good test for both teams.

Seymour-Ky and Euroa-Swans shape as good games too.
The interesting thing is though that I can't remember the last time United went for a prolonged time without being ultra competitive . They have never seemed to have been easy beats or struggling for on field success , whereas Lemnos and Shepp have .

The interesting thing is though that I can't remember the last time United went for a prolonged time without being ultra competitive . They have never seemed to have been easy beats or struggling for on field success , whereas Lemnos and Shepp have .
Uniteds problem is not volunteers they are in a lot of debt time to start developing the kids and slash player payments

Looked like a good game at Benalla with the home side winning by a point in the last few seconds.

Judging by the scores, I assume it rained over there?

Seymour are looking good too, taking another big scalp by defeating Ky.

Looked like a good game at Benalla with the home side winning by a point in the last few seconds.

The ground was extremely heavy and chopped up - not sure how much rain Benalla had, but the ground felt it. Benalla started strongly and kicked 3 or 4 in the first 15 minutes of the first quarter and then 1 goal for the next three quarters. Rochy was slow starting and worked their way into the game but it was just a day of ball ups and wet weather footy. If a team gained 20 metres it was a win. Very low scoring and tight in the contest in very difficult conditions.

The rain stopped in the first quarter, but from the looks of it, the ball was still very heavy with kicks pulling up a long way short. Rochy drew with Benalla after Watson got a free and lucky 50 metre penalty with 2 minutes to go in the last quarter, and Priest got a free near the boundary and kicked a point for Benalla with 15 seconds left in the game to take out the win.

Seymour looked very good today with there style of play. Seem to have Kyabrams measure now with two zip so far for the year.

They might be in a bit of trouble if the video picks up Bongettis hit on Morgan behind play just before three quarter time, as a few of the Seymour plays walk a bit taller with him out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back