What's wrong with celebrating a draw?

Remove this Banner Ad

There are certain circumstances where you are allowed to celebrate a draw. The most classic moment was when Kernahan had a set shot after the siren when the scores were level against Essendon. he kicked it out of bounds on the full and the Essendon players rightfully celebrated the draw. Can you criticise them for that?

Another one would be kicking a goal after the siren when you're six points down. Wouldn't have a problem with a bit of celebration there, unless it was a situation like Round 23 and you needed a win to make the finals.

fcPBf01.gif

Lol'd loud and long at Lanny boy, nice one.Good gif!

Hawthorn still overtake us if they win two more games than us over the season regardless
The draw gives you a game on the Hawks since they have better percentage. It gives you nothing on Freo since your percentage is superior already.

So basically it was what a draw should be.

The draw gives you a game on the Hawks since they have better percentage. It gives you nothing on Freo since your percentage is superior already.

So basically it was what a draw should be.
Wouldn't it be as bad as a loss?
a win puts you 2 games clear with inferior %
draw puts you 1.5 games clear

It basically does nothing to protect their tail on Hawthorn, yet fails to close down Fremantle.

In the context of the season the Suns can be proud of their efforts. When the siren went tonight I groaned then realised everyone around us jumped out their seats celebrating like we won lol. I can't quite bring myself to celebrate a draw but I'm proud of the boys nonetheless

Wouldn't it be as bad as a loss?
a win puts you 2 games clear with inferior %
draw puts you 1.5 games clear

It basically does nothing to protect their tail on Hawthorn, yet fails to close down Fremantle.
Hawthorn have a better % that WC wouldn't have breached therefor a draw was as good as a win for WC in holding off Hawthorn

Draws are good to have when you have a crappy %. Not so much when you have a good % already like West Coast.
However compared to Hawthorn's percentage (aka their main rival for a Top 2 spot)...

Melbourne drew down in Geelong in...I'm going to say 2005. Either that or 2006.

For us the draw was as good as a win, getting us into the finals. For the cats it was the opposite, sealing their face.

I was there and I enjoyed it. Sure, it's not like a win, but I knew the consequences were the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It remains the only draw we've ever had.

But that didn't feel like a win, given Johnson had a set shot from 50 that didn't make the distance late. Didn't feel like a loss either by any stretch.

It bloody well did to me :eek:

Draws are good to have when you have a crappy %. Not so much when you have a good % already like West Coast.

It doesn't matter what their % is

It only matters how it compares to Hawthorn and Freo

It's a win compared to Hawthorn and a loss compared to Freo

Depends completely on context.

I really like that awkward hollow feeling a the crowd murmuring after a draw. The 60 seconds of hands on heads and digesting it is pretty surreal.

That said, after Essendon vs. Carlton last year, I was less shocked and more "how many ******* times do we have to draw with these guys?!"

Four draws in the last 22 years, three in the last 9, after only one draw between them in the first 95+ years of the VFL/AFL. It's becoming our thing.

Four draws in the last 22 years, three in the last 9, after only one draw between them in the first 95+ years of the VFL/AFL. It's becoming our thing.

9 more games in the last 22 years decided by less than six points, and 3 of THOSE by a single point, including a pretty famous one.

So yeah, you know what? I wouldn't begrudge anyone celebrating a draw. Sometimes it's better than the loss that stays with you forever. :(

The draw was as good as a win for West Coast. Hawthorn have the superior percentage, so the draw effectively removes that from that equation. It means the Hawks will need to make up 2 wins over the last 5 matches to snatch second place and a home final in week 1, which would've been the case anyway had the Eagles won.

Freo and WCE have pretty much sewn up 1st and 2nd. The Hawks could still grab 2nd place if they win their remaining 5 matches (defeating WCE at Subi next week) and the Eagles lose the Derby in Rd 20.

The draw was as good as a win for West Coast. Hawthorn have the superior percentage, so the draw effectively removes that from that equation. It means the Hawks will need to make up 2 wins over the last 5 matches to snatch second place and a home final in week 1, which would've been the case anyway had the Eagles won.
Depends how you look at it. I want to finish as high as possible so compared to Hawthorn, draw changes nothing. Yet if we fall off a cliff, we will rue it as Richmond or the Dogs could snatch 4th off us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back