St Kilda lobby AFL for gay pride game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The saints are working towards the introduction of a gay pride game for next season. Along with creating awareness for gender equality and diversity, they will also attempting to educate people on the issue and why acceptance is such an important thing.

Great work from the Saints and I hope all the other clubs as well as fans throw throw their support behind this great cause.

If you would like to read more go here: http://m.theage.com.au/afl/st-kilda-lobby-afl-for-gay-pride-game-20150731-gip0kx.html

Llewelyn31

Draftee
Aug 2, 2015
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
I disagree with this. I am all for gay persons being treated equally, and it is a shame that so many feel unwelcome in sports, and of course it is an even bigger shame concerning the higher rates of suicide.

However I really don't see the logic in trying to normalise being gay and treating gayness as equal to straightness by having a special 'Gay Pride Match' and perhaps even having players wear rainbow coloured strips.

Infact I have never seen the logic in gay people creating 'pride marches', or flying their own flag either. If gay people really want to normalise their sexuality then doing all this is completely counterproductive to their aims, because marching through town celebrating your sexuality and flying your own flag is really not normal! (i.e. it is not what the majority do!).

While the moves have been widely welcomed by the St Kilda faithful, the club has also received a handful of letters from fans threatening to cancel their memberships, arguing football is no place for politics. But Finnis maintains they have a social responsibility to be inclusive to the community they serve and this is not a political issue.

The cause for gay marriage is undoubtedly a political issue - it is advocating a change in the law and is a contentious political issue at the moment. Surely fundraising for a group that campaigns on a political issue is therefore politicising the club?

Surely St Kilda FC could still be inclusive to 'their community' whilst not getting involved in political issues. Every other club seems to manage to do so...

The fact that Victoria has their own 'Gender and Sexuality Commissioner' is proof that this issue has become way too politicised. People should be able to have an opinion on sexuality and be able to express it - I believe that government should reflect that opinion, not seek to change it.

All of this reminds me of the 'Multicultural Round' - something else I disagree with. Multiculturalism is simply a political ideology and I really don't think politics has a place in sport. I think an 'Anti-Racism Round' would be much better than a 'Multicultural Round'. I obviously want Australia to be a racist-free country and really don't mind the multiracial nature of our country. However race and culture are completely different and having seen how destructive multiculturalism has been in countries like France, Netherlands, Denmark - I don't think this is a good political ideology or direction for Australia. I don't think the AFL should be promoting it, and I think in 20-30 years time they may regreat doing so.

One last thing - what on earth are all these sexualities?? I am in my 20s yet when I was younger it was just Gay (men like men), Lesbian (women like women) and Bisexual (men/women like both). Considering heterosexuality accounted for 95% of humans, I was told these three sexualities accounted for 5% of humans. However all this was quickly changed to LGBT, then to LGBTI, and there was a lady on the news a couple of weeks ago who talked about sexuality starting with "straight, gay, lesbian..." and then she must have said about 15 different types of sexualities - most of which I had never heard of before. Has it got to the point where people are making them up now?!

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
I disagree with this. I am all for gay persons being treated equally, and it is a shame that so many feel unwelcome in sports, and of course it is an even bigger shame concerning the higher rates of suicide.

However I really don't see the logic in trying to normalise being gay and treating gayness as equal to straightness by having a special 'Gay Pride Match' and perhaps even having players wear rainbow coloured strips.

Infact I have never seen the logic in gay people creating 'pride marches', or flying their own flag either. If gay people really want to normalise their sexuality then doing all this is completely counterproductive to their aims, because marching through town celebrating your sexuality and flying your own flag is really not normal! (i.e. it is not what the majority do!).

While the moves have been widely welcomed by the St Kilda faithful, the club has also received a handful of letters from fans threatening to cancel their memberships, arguing football is no place for politics. But Finnis maintains they have a social responsibility to be inclusive to the community they serve and this is not a political issue.

The cause for gay marriage is undoubtedly a political issue - it is advocating a change in the law and is a contentious political issue at the moment. Surely fundraising for a group that campaigns on a political issue is therefore politicising the club?

Surely St Kilda FC could still be inclusive to 'their community' whilst not getting involved in political issues. Every other club seems to manage to do so...

The fact that Victoria has their own 'Gender and Sexuality Commissioner' is proof that this issue has become way too politicised. People should be able to have an opinion on sexuality and be able to express it - I believe that government should reflect that opinion, not seek to change it.

All of this reminds me of the 'Multicultural Round' - something else I disagree with. Multiculturalism is simply a political ideology and I really don't think politics has a place in sport. I think an 'Anti-Racism Round' would be much better than a 'Multicultural Round'. I obviously want Australia to be a racist-free country and really don't mind the multiracial nature of our country. However race and culture are completely different and having seen how destructive multiculturalism has been in countries like France, Netherlands, Denmark - I don't think this is a good political ideology or direction for Australia. I don't think the AFL should be promoting it, and I think in 20-30 years time they may regreat doing so.

One last thing - what on earth are all these sexualities?? I am in my 20s yet when I was younger it was just Gay (men like men), Lesbian (women like women) and Bisexual (men/women like both). Considering heterosexuality accounted for 95% of humans, I was told these three sexualities accounted for 5% of humans. However all this was quickly changed to LGBT, then to LGBTI, and there was a lady on the news a couple of weeks ago who talked about sexuality starting with "straight, gay, lesbian..." and then she must have said about 15 different types of sexualities - most of which I had never heard of before. Has it got to the point where people are making them up now?!

good first post!

agenda much?

you are not a Steve Fielding staffer are you?

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
Given BigFooty's nuanced and socially aware response to the Adam Goodes saga, I'm anticipating some Wildean repartee come the break of day.

Whoa whoa whoa...slow down there egghead...

What's wrong with a wild party?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footyfan85

Team Captain
Sep 13, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
The definition of tolerance has changed.
Before it was you could disagree with someone respectfully and it's ok.

Now if you disagree with something like homosexuality (while still being loving and respectful of their free will) you are a bigot.

While we are at it why not a religious freedom round.

I think AFL "rounds" is getting out of control.

The definition of tolerance has changed.
Before it was you could disagree with someone respectfully and it's ok.

Now if you disagree with something like homosexuality (while still being loving and respectful of their free will) you are a bigot.

While we are at it why not a religious freedom round.

I think AFL "rounds" is getting out of control.
Isn't disagreeing with homosexuals like disagreeing with red heads, or left handers though?

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
Why not make it a whole round? We already have indigenous round, multicultural round, ANZAC round and Adam Goodes round. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back