Holmes

Remove this Banner Ad

You know me, I'm a romantic when it comes to selection. But who does he come in for? Longer? Would we choose him over playing Hickey?

i'd rest longer for a game and see what holmes brings

but i get your point, right now longer hasnt done a thing wrong, so its not like we need holmes to play

no rush to get him in whilst Longer is doing well. I was at the game today and it was the first time I've seen Holmes play in the flesh. So impressive!

Since you were at the game, can you please discuss Holmes. How is his kicking? Would he be able to compete around the ground?

Since you were at the game, can you please discuss Holmes. How is his kicking? Would he be able to compete around the ground?
His kicking style doesn't look great but certainly good enough for a ruckman who will handball it off majority of the time. He got a couple of marks/free kicks in the centre that he switched out to the wing and hit the kick fine. I've only seen the 1 game of him live but I wouldn't say his kicking was worse than the other giants of the AFL i.e. Gawn

I love the way they're coaching Holmes. He has mastered the art of tapwork, now they're pushing him forward to see if he can become a more attacking and ball-winning player.

Holmes has just signed a 1 year deal.
http://saints.com.au/news/2015-07-30/holmes-signs-on-for-2016

Interesting last paragraph of the article
'The recent season ending shin injury to Jack Billings has created an avenue for Holmes to be elevated to the senior list for an AFL debut.'

No idea how much info the media department have on those things though

I reckon they will probably give him a game just to see where he's at and give him a reward for his had work. I'm kind of hoping he gives a few guys like Lee and Saunders a bit of a run to give them a bit of a run at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richardson said American-born ruckman Jason Holmes, who signed a one-year contract extension this week, remained a chance to be promoted this season in place of Jack Billings.

But, after Hickey's strong VFL form last week, it wasn't likely to happen ahead of the Port game.

"His progression has been fantastic. He still has a bit of work to do but he's going really well," he said.

"With a bit of luck, he's even a chance to play League footy this year.

"Both Jason and Ahmed Saad and Brenton Payne are chances to be elevated, so we'll just wait and see but there is a chance that will happen."

Billings won't play again this season and will go on the long-term injury list after scans showed a hot spot in his shin had developed into a stress fracture.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-30/riewoldt-hobbled-as-saints-lose-trio-for-port-clash

Richardson said American-born ruckman Jason Holmes, who signed a one-year contract extension this week, remained a chance to be promoted this season in place of Jack Billings.

But, after Hickey's strong VFL form last week, it wasn't likely to happen ahead of the Port game.

"His progression has been fantastic. He still has a bit of work to do but he's going really well," he said.

"With a bit of luck, he's even a chance to play League footy this year.

"Both Jason and Ahmed Saad and Brenton Payne are chances to be elevated, so we'll just wait and see but there is a chance that will happen."

Billings won't play again this season and will go on the long-term injury list after scans showed a hot spot in his shin had developed into a stress fracture.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-30/riewoldt-hobbled-as-saints-lose-trio-for-port-clash
When is the point where we can't upgrade rookies any more?

Not sure. But it sounds like you can upgrade a rookie at any point for an LTI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think we got bit by that last year. We thought that was the case, but then it turned out it wasn't, and that meant some of our rookies didn't get the games in that we'd scheduled them for towards the end of the season (including Holmes, I think...)

Hey, hasn't Holmes been on the Rookie list for two years? So, wouldn't he be now onto the senior list. Has earned a senior spot in my opinion.

Hey, hasn't Holmes been on the Rookie list for two years? So, wouldn't he be now onto the senior list. Has earned a senior spot in my opinion.
Maximum of 3 I believe. The reality is that Holmes is not really yet at the level that necessitates a senior spot. As many have said, the jump from VFL to AFL is rather big.

Maximum of 3 I believe. The reality is that Holmes is not really yet at the level that necessitates a senior spot. As many have said, the jump from VFL to AFL is rather big.

It's the same sport isn't it?
Just requires effort and confidence

When we play Essendon i think it would be elementary to play Holmes on Watson :rolleyes:
4110186382_someone_stinks_378x360_xlarge.jpeg

I think the club is building up some awareness, media coverage to Holmes debut later this season.

The Geelong game stands out as the ideal game:
- national TV exposure;
- weak ruck opponent;
- home ground.

The club has been really smart with its media strategy in recent times as we all know.

Would not be surprised if the club gave these things some consideration.

Fingers crossed for Holmesy! Will be up their with watching the three youngsters play their first game last season in round 1.

I think the club is building up some awareness, media coverage to Holmes debut later this season.

The Geelong game stands out as the ideal game:
- national TV exposure;
- weak ruck opponent;
- home ground.

The club has been really smart with its media strategy in recent times as we all know.

Would not be surprised if the club gave these things some consideration.

Fingers crossed for Holmesy! Will be up their with watching the three youngsters play their first game last season in round 1.

And rub in the fact that Rhys was a high pick who can't get on the park and we got Holmes with a freebie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back