Preview Changes vs Hawthorn Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Selwood needs a full game. Despite the rhetoric around here lately he is better than Hutch and Rosa, and he needs more minutes. Ankle injuries are sh*t because a guy without natural foot skills like Selwood needs to be practicing constantly to keep his footskills sharp. Ankle doesn't allow that.
Training during the week is a thing

We were off - as a collective. Let's not over-react. That said, there have been 2 players that have failed to deliver in recent weeks - Hill and Hutchings and they need a rest. Selwood looked much better and keeps his spot

Changes
Out: Hill In: Butler - Butler goes back and Ellis to spend more time forward
Out: Barrass In: McGovern - not form but do not want to go too tall and if McGovern is fit he plays
Out: Hutchings In: The best midfielder/small defender for EP on Sunday (Colledge, Lucas, Newman, Nelson).

Simpson needs to stop saying we are a young team. We are lacking veterans but with our younger crew of Lamb, Duggan, Nelson, McInnes, not playing recently, we are not young. Here is our age profile from the weekend. I do not call that young. We were young when we had Duggan, Nelson, McInnes, Lamb and McGovern playing but not so now.
upload_2015-8-2_5-59-36.png
Based on age turning in 2015

Hutchings can GTFO permanently. Was terrible before the miss.

Are you kidding? He hit targets and competed well all night. Sure he missed a goal he should of kicked but he had a few mates there such as Darling, Cripps, Le cras etc and they are paid forwards. Darling ran straight into goal and missed from 20 out. We kicked 5 points in the first term from easy positions. You can't blame that loss on one person, that was a pathetic team effort.

Selwood needs a full game. Despite the rhetoric around here lately he is better than Hutch and Rosa, and he needs more minutes. Ankle injuries are sh*t because a guy without natural foot skills like Selwood needs to be practicing constantly to keep his footskills sharp. Ankle doesn't allow that.

In no way on this planet is he better than those two. People have short memories on here. Three weeks ago he was gifting the ball directly to the opposition resulting in goals, Rosa and Hutch may not be fashionable but they don't do that. People are just cracking the shits coz we drew a game we should of won and good ole Hutch is the scapegoat. He barely missed a target all night, he just missed a goal he should of kicked and so everyone lays into him. Funnily enough Darling and half the forward line couldn't kick goals for s**t last night and that's their job. Selwood came on and although not as bad as usual he was just bombing away in hope again. Fwiw I don't think there'll be many changes with Duggan and the Gov injured. We just have to turn up as a team next week or we will get flogged.

In no way on this planet is he better than those two. People have short memories on here. Three weeks ago he was gifting the ball directly to the opposition resulting in goals, Rosa and Hutch may not be fashionable but they don't do that. People are just cracking the shits coz we drew a game we should of won and good ole Hutch is the scapegoat. He barely missed a target all night, he just missed a goal he should of kicked and so everyone lays into him. Funnily enough Darling and half the forward line couldn't kick goals for s**t last night and that's their job. Selwood came on and although not as bad as usual he was just bombing away in hope again. Fwiw I don't think there'll be many changes with Duggan and the Gov injured. We just have to turn up as a team next week or we will get flogged.
Hey, hey come on mark, it's not us, it's you. :p

IN: Newman McGovern Butler
OUT: Hill Barrass (unlucky) anyone of Rosa/Hutchings/Selwood

Are you kidding? He hit targets and competed well all night. Sure he missed a goal he should of kicked but he had a few mates there such as Darling, Cripps, Le cras etc and they are paid forwards. Darling ran straight into goal and missed from 20 out. We kicked 5 points in the first term from easy positions. You can't blame that loss on one person, that was a pathetic team effort.

Hutchings is not AFL standard has has zero poise and often shits himself in important situations.
It's a confidence thing that I don't believe he will / can over come.
He was a stop gap player that we picked up on the cheap a few years ago.

I don't see the point of playing him as he has already hit his ceiling and it's not quite up to it.

Last edited:
Hutchings is not AFL standard has has zero poise and often shits himself in important situations.
It's a confidence thing that I don't believe he will / can over come.
He was a stop gap player that we picked up on the cheap a few years ago.

I don't see the point of playing him as he has already hit his ceiling and it's not quite up to it.

Disagree that he's not AFL standard, that's just people looking for someone to blame when things don't go our way. He doesn't turn the ball over directly like our VC, and people still think he's AFL standard. Sure Hutch makes mistakes, as does everyone. The difference is, when Hutch makes a mistake its the biggest sin on the face of the earth to everyone in here, yet when others do it, thats ok.
Darling was for the most part crap last night, and he missed several shots that were bread and butter for an AFL forward, so did Cripps and Lecca.but one shot by Hutch is the reason for our loss? Hutch's kicking (except last nights shot for goal) has been good this year, he competes hard in close and lays good tackles which put pressure on the opposition and he wins plenty of the ball when hes in the guts. He's played 2 full games this season after being injured in the pre-season and gets written off every time he plays. He's not our best player but he plays his role well (with the odd mistake), and without Duggan, Cavka or Lamb available or in top form, Hutch gets the job done without being flashy. He just looks awkward like Sinkers so he gets bagged incessantly.

Unfortunately our midfield depth won't improve for a few more years when the mids we recruited (or re-recruited) in the last 2 years are either ready for the AFL (Muddy, Cavka, Muzza, Maggie, Hotline, Main) so we have no choice but to play Hutch, SS and Rosa. Wellingham is now a defenfer, Duggan is out for the year, while it's doubtful that Lucas and Colledge will ever be 'AFL standard'. Nelson and Lamb probably won't be tried in the middle for a while as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately our midfield depth won't improve for a few more years when the mids we recruited (or re-recruited) in the last 2 years are either ready for the AFL (Muddy, Cavka, Muzza, Maggie, Hotline, Main) so we have no choice but to play Hutch, SS and Rosa. Wellingham is now a defenfer, Duggan is out for the year, while it's doubtful that Lucas and Colledge will ever be 'AFL standard'. Nelson and Lamb probably won't be tried in the middlke for a while as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hotline have a go. :D

Let's agree to disagree Eaglemaniac as I don't think Hutchings is an AFL footballer and I am not just talking about his game last night .
We won't ever contend if Hutchings is in our best 22,
yes he try's hard and puts in but his standard of play is IMO just not there and I can't see any scope for improvement.
He is marginally ahead of McGinnity and Lucas, but not by very much.

Agree with Eaglemaniac harsh to say that Hutch should never play for us again. Was complete dog turd last night but so were 19 other blokes.
I think it becomes more of a reality when you consider some of the young fellas coming through like Duggan, Cavka and Maginness (provides he makes it back, should be retained on the list)...even Adamson, who has been doing well in the WAFL. These blokes have lots more upside and should go ahead of him next year (if they already haven't, like Dugg).

OUT: Hill, Rosa, Hutchings, Barrass
IN: Newman or Lamb, Butler, Nelson, Mcgovern

The backline as a whole functions much better with mcgovern in there, he makes the best decisions and rarely turns it over. Butler & Nelson are better users of the ball than Rosa and Hutchings and seem much more relaxed under pressure, and Hill is either carrying some sort of injury or is just not finding form he was in early in the year, and eitherway should make room for Lamb or Newman who might atleast kick the odd goal or 2 and offer more around the ground. Please keep Selwood as the sub, do not want him taking a starting position against the hawks, and when he comes on as the sub with a full tank when everyone else is stuffed, he can occasionally do some handy things, and last night he was decent besides that stupid 50 metre penalty, don't know why he can't keep his cool in a close situation like that.

Disagree that he's not AFL standard, that's just people looking for someone to blame when things don't go our way. He doesn't turn the ball over directly like our VC, and people still think he's AFL standard. Sure Hutch makes mistakes, as does everyone. The difference is, when Hutch makes a mistake its the biggest sin on the face of the earth to everyone in here, yet when others do it, thats ok.
Darling was for the most part crap last night, and he missed several shots that were bread and butter for an AFL forward, so did Cripps and Lecca.but one shot by Hutch is the reason for our loss? Hutch's kicking (except last nights shot for goal) has been good this year, he competes hard in close and lays good tackles which put pressure on the opposition and he wins plenty of the ball when hes in the guts. He's played 2 full games this season after being injured in the pre-season and gets written off every time he plays. He's not our best player but he plays his role well (with the odd mistake), and without Duggan, Cavka or Lamb available or in top form, Hutch gets the job done without being flashy. He just looks awkward like Sinkers so he gets bagged incessantly.
First let me agree with you that it was a team effort and we should not be blaming just 1 or 2 players. Collectively we were off the mark and played like many expected us to when we started the season. Hutch and Hill were symptomatic of the team. We are also thin in his skill set so he rightfully ahead of McSpud but that is about it. I believe we are selecting him based on Hobson's choice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobson's_choice

Hutch is an extremely frustrating person to watch (especially live) and I am with Monocle on this one. His game style is to jog around and gather possessions but fails to take the game on. What I saw last year and again in 2015 (it came home loud and clear in the Sydney and Gold Coast games and less when he is the sub) is that he is not AFL standard. He fails to attack the ball with any pace, he is a foundation member of the one step back before I know what to do set, he consistently fails to hit the scoreboard, his skills are WAFL level only and he is usually a part of something that breaks down and becomes a turnover.

in terms of goal kicking, he has a scored 9 goal 11 points for his career which is poor and in the 5 games this year (2 or 3 of which were as the sub) he has kicked 1 solitary point. I am wondering why you are so protective of him. St Kilda discarded him. We picked him up in a very thin draft at pick 60 which is more like pick 90 in a decent draft so he owes us nothing. I am very clear - games into Hutch are a wasted effort. I would prefer to try out Lucas, Adamson or Brophy. They may not be ready but there is a chance they will be one day. I usually say we are Hutching at straws when we pick Mark.

OUT: Hutchings, Hill, Barrass
IN: Butler, Lamb, McGovern (come back pls)

Can't see us making 4 changes, Rosa very lucky

Last edited:
In no way on this planet is he better than those two.

All 3 should be in the WAFL. Rosa and Hutchings are very limited and Selwood looks like he's off to Geelong/playing like a heap of s**t.

Shame Duggan is injured, would be straight into the team right now you'd imagine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back