Roast The Ugly v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad others are seeing what I was saying about Thommo at the start of the year. We've missed a huge opportunity to plug games into young inside mids.
Everybody doesn't want to talk about it as its in the too hard basket. It's disrespectful :rolleyes:
And then we'll win and Thommo will get his numbers and we'll get told off for having a go.

At some point the boys themselves have to take accountability and start holding each other to a higher standard. Coaches can only do so much, fans can only reiterate the obvious--it is up to them to take ownership of the season they wish to have.

I saw way to much standing around and loss of structure and that was from 10,000 miles away and on television. I can only imagine having had to sit thru that one in person.

Bottom line---whether this season is one to remember for overcoming an awful lot and making the 8 or just playing out the string--is completely within the players control. Time for them to seize the opportunity and show they are good enough

And 2 years worth of draft sanctions
Spot on with all the players we have lost & our draft sanctions our side would look very different, tell me we wouldn't be a much better team with all these guys in it!
FB: Laird Davis Cheney
HB: Kelly Talia Smith
C: Sloane Douglas Vince
HF:
Lynch Walker Knight
FF: Betts Tippett Gunston
R
: Jacobs Dangerfield Thompson
IC: Lever Cameron Cripps* Aish*

Cripps & Aish are just shown as an example of the sort of players we lost when we lost our first round picks also by keeping Davis, Vince & Gunston we never pick up the players from there trades eg Crouch but still i know which guys id rather have in my side!!

Are they not 'getting on with life'? You're missing the point entirely. In the modern game, especially against a top 4 opponent, if you are off your game even 5%, you will get mauled. They are operating in an elite environment, not stacking shelves at the local Coles. I'm not trying to make excuses for them, but don't pretend like you know what is going on inside their heads.
Even Campo stated in his presser that the guys were in the right head space and that it wasn't an excuse for their preformance

Lynch with his standard one massive clanger in the first quarter, dropping a sitter.

^^this

Just for laughs we could even throw Shaw back in for a run... Seriously though, is it just me or can't any halfwit see that we have the worst bottom 5-7 players in the league. Bar none. If it wasn't for Talia, M Crouch, Danger and a few others I'd prefer Carlton's list. We might as well pick 18 year olds from the rookie list and throw them in the deep end. There is no possible way they could be any worse.

Our top end is fantastic.

Our youth looks very good - not great, but good with a lot of potential.

Our bottom end, primarily senior players, who we refuse to hold accountable (like we do young players) to our 'elite standards' are shithouse. Mackay, VB, Henderson, Wright; that's 4 senior players, almost a quarter of your team, who are constantly and consistently shithouse.

If we stopped carrying these perennial under achievers and started promoting youth properly, we might actually be a good team.

And that's without taking into account how toxic inconsistent selection standards are to the entire playing group.

Last edited:
At some point the boys themselves have to take accountability and start holding each other to a higher standard. Coaches can only do so much, fans can only reiterate the obvious--it is up to them to take ownership of the season they wish to have.

I saw way to much standing around and loss of structure and that was from 10,000 miles away and on television. I can only imagine having had to sit thru that one in person.

Bottom line---whether this season is one to remember for overcoming an awful lot and making the 8 or just playing out the string--is completely within the players control. Time for them to seize the opportunity and show they are good enough

For a guy new to this caper you sure do get it :thumbsu:

No but are you the authoritarian on the grieving process?:rolleyes:

The players played without any heart or spirt today, the reasons can come out in the wash. Next week I'm confident the players will lift against Richmond.
Other than having lost a lot of people in the last 54 years you mean? Oh and an astute observer of human behaviour. Not an authoritarian by any means but one that has significant experience. :(

It comes down to losing our best players. Keep Tippett , Davis and Gunston and our bottom three players aren't playing anymore. That would make us look a little stronger given we do actually have a little depth in the non-start but AFL quality player ranks.
Neither are (insert players we got to replace them, except for Tippett because we got stuff all for him). But I'm pretty sure we got Talia and Crouch for the other two?

Except Walsh made it clear after the BNE game that players were going to be dropped. Your argument is pointless because it deliberately ignores that fact. You fans of the status quo consistently make this pathetic claim.
You know as a FACT that the players that were going to be dropped were the Bigfooty whipping boys?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^^this

Just for laughs we could even throw Shaw back in for a run... Seriously though, is it just me or can't any halfwit see that we have the worst bottom 5-7 players in the league. Bar none. If it wasn't for Talia, M Crouch, Danger and a few others I'd prefer Carlton's list. We might as well pick 18 year olds from the rookie list and throw them in the deep end. There is no possible way they could be any worse.

You can thank Trigg/Reid for that.

I have to admit, I'm wondering if Tex as Captain is a mistake.

You don't have to be Captain to be a leader; but you have to do more than just lead as a Captain.

I love Tex. He is my favourite but he should not have been made captain. Had to be Sloane. Tex is not coping with that extra pressure at all. He was better last year coming back from a knee reconstruction

I have to admit, I'm wondering if Tex as Captain is a mistake.

You don't have to be Captain to be a leader; but you have to do more than just lead as a Captain.
Don't think Tex is a mistake. He just needs to sum up a situation like Hodge and say to himself, right I'm going up the ground and throw my weight around a bit, get in the game as the boys have done their usual start etc. Our side is a victim of its own mentality at times where players are too fearful of doing something as it would break down the freaking structure. What did Craig call the middling players? Show some of it fellas.

Average. Lynch. He had a few howlers but took the game on and did alot of good work in a s**t team effort. Thought he was our best. Matt Crouch. Coming on at 3/4 time and getting 11 possessions at 90% was a statement.
Ugly. Everything. The way we went about it today was lazy, disinterested and pathetic. Our midfield. Very poor no need to elaborate. Walker. Is he injured? He looked ****ed. If hes injured give him a week off.
Horrendous. Our tackling. Our footskills. Our workrate. Our goalkicking. ******* everything was horrendous today. Not being able to beat a top 4 team is an inditement on this team.
David Mackay. ******* weak. Repeatedly giving the ball back to sydney while under no pressure and generally being pathetic in his endeavour to get the ball or when he has the ball. His continual selection is a joke. Gtfo. Wright. Not an afl level footballer. Put him in the sanfl and leave him there. Dont come back. Hendo. Our prized loose man in defence got plenty of the ball but just didnt do anything with it compared to theirs rampe who continually set up plays from the back of the square which ended up in inside 50s. Trade him. And get yarran. Our coaching and selection panel. * i hate the selection time on thursday. Noble is a lying pig. Dont make up s**t about non statistical roles u utensil. Knight being subbed out. Play the kid wtf. End rant.

Crouch, 11 disposals in a quarter of footy.... Had one poor kick, but otherwise was good, and cripes if we didn't need some who can get the ball in the first quarter. The sub (insert standard, * I hate that rule) should be someone who can come on and blitz past slower/tiring players.

Bob as sub is such a waste. He needs to be there when the game is hot.

Crouch, 11 disposals in a quarter of footy.... Had one poor kick, but otherwise was good, and cripes if we didn't need some who can get the ball in the first quarter. The sub (insert standard, **** I hate that rule) should be someone who can come on and blitz past slower/tiring players.

Absolute joke.

Crouch, 11 disposals in a quarter of footy.... Had one poor kick, but otherwise was good, and cripes if we didn't need some who can get the ball in the first quarter. The sub (insert standard, **** I hate that rule) should be someone who can come on and blitz past slower/tiring players.

Doesn't putting him in, even as sub, kind of contradict the claim that he won't be back in the side until he's worked on his double secret probation weaknesses?

Biggest concern.....

Only 2 on the injury list that would make our 22; Crouch and Jaensch.

Out of the rest of the team.....we are well and truly off the mark in comparison to top 4 teams.

We can swing players in and out but yesterday was not just a couple of players...it was across the board.

Yes we need to make some changes but seriously we picked the best 22 with only 2 unavailable! I can't help thinking deck chairs, sadly.

It is definitely a worry this year.

Positives: we are generally a young team. There is a lot of upside to youth if they are allowed to develop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back