Roast The Ugly v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Were also a couple times where he beat Kennedy one on one. Sure his defence needs work, but we're wasting him right now.
His see ball get ball ability is unquestionable for a kid his age and experience. He needs to play every remaining game of the season. Wheres the senior players defensive efforts? Because yesterday i didnt see one chase and tackle one shepherd one ******* anything. Fair enough the coaches want defensive efforts from their players but you cant have 2 sets of rules for kids and seniors.

Ugly.
Being absolutely smashed by the shortest-kicking chip chip game I think I've ever witnessed - and apparently having no coaching tactic to combat it.:thumbsdown:

On a really s**t day, we get goal reviews like those?

Approximately 10m, is now the new allowable distance for a kick to travel.

Half of our players looked….ill, to me. I thought Hendo was about to puke at one stage there, but then again he might have been thinking about the missed mark he should have taken a mere couple of steps to reach. Or he could have been thinking about the entire team's putrid and collective shitness of application, concentration, skills and footy smarts.

Me wondering how much of this roller coaster form can be attributed to Walshy, while at the same time expecting miracles from a young team that was emotionally obliterated over a period of three entire weeks. We've all mostly said you've just gotta get on with the job. That's pretty easy to say.

His see ball get ball ability is unquestionable for a kid his age and experience. He needs to play every remaining game of the season. Wheres the senior players defensive efforts? Because yesterday i didnt see one chase and tackle one shepherd one ******* anything. Fair enough the coaches want defensive efforts from their players but you cant have 2 sets of rules for kids and seniors.
And he is a pretty decent tackle - with Bob it's more about the mindset and being aware of the defensive need at times.

Crouch, 11 disposals in a quarter of footy.... Had one poor kick, but otherwise was good, and cripes if we didn't need some who can get the ball in the first quarter. The sub (insert standard, **** I hate that rule) should be someone who can come on and blitz past slower/tiring players.

Bob as sub is such a waste. He needs to be there when the game is hot.
Exactly. Bob is a diesel, not a formula1. He's the worker we sorely missed from the first bounce.

Playing devils advocate here but those 11 disposals Crouch had....... do they mean much ?? He is a fresh inside mid coming on against tiring bodies, of course he's gonna get plenty of it.

Not a criticism by any means but I'd almost rather he had 7 touches but they were all constructive. Still, he had more of a positive impact than about 5 guys did in a whole game.

I hope he stays in Friday night but I'm doubtful.

Biggest concern.....

Only 2 on the injury list that would make our 22; Crouch and Jaensch.

Out of the rest of the team.....we are well and truly off the mark in comparison to top 4 teams.

We can swing players in and out but yesterday was not just a couple of players...it was across the board.

Yes we need to make some changes but seriously we picked the best 22 with only 2 unavailable! I can't help thinking deck chairs, sadly.

It is definitely a worry this year.

Positives: we are generally a young team. There is a lot of upside to youth if they are allowed to develop.

I strongly believe that inconsistent and (I hate to use the term, as it's weak, but it's accurate) unfair selection is a seriously toxic issue, which would impact the entire playing group.

One of the clear differences between Walsh and Sando was that Walsh spoke to EVERY player about their weaknesses and where they needed to improve - he was clear and consistent with it. Without him, we seem to have regressed (not seen to, listen to Noble's bullshit - we have).

How would you feel if you were Danger or Sloane, busting your arse every week, throwing everything you've got at the game, for your side, even with a busted face, while guys like Mackay and Wright skate on through, contributing nothing?

How would all of the young players feel when guys like VB are selected for more than half of the year, despite being garbage, while Crouch gets dropped after 3 excellent games, or Lyons can't force his way in after being our best SANFL player for almost 3 years (just on that, did you see how much players got around him after his first goal?)?

Crouch being dropped for what can only be concerns about his defensive efforts, while Thommo is worshipped by all, but almost never runs defensively?

It's toxic and it's bad for team morale and unity; I think a lot of people under estimate just how damaging it is.

I see your Ugly and raise you this:

Chin up lads and ladesses. Micky Malthouse will fix everything next year.

Everybody doesn't want to talk about it as its in the too hard basket. It's disrespectful :rolleyes:
And then we'll win and Thommo will get his numbers and we'll get told off for having a go.

He should have been set for 12-14 games with an eye on being fresh at the end of the minor round. We could then argue whether he pushes out a Lyons, Criuch or CEY from a finals team. For what he provides, which isn't defensive running or quality attacking clearances, he's had a few very good games, a few average and a few where's a liability. He's still Sauces main 'tap to' bloke and playing him for every available game potentially will cost us a young player with a future.

To hose any pressure on him down, we can expect his extension to be announced this week. Then we'll have the usual suspects forgetting about actual performance and use the extension as proof his season has largely been superb and we know nothing about football.

I strongly believe that inconsistent and (I hate to use the term, as it's weak, but it's accurate) unfair selection is a seriously toxic issue, which would impact the entire playing group.

One of the clear differences between Walsh and Sando was that Walsh spoke to EVERY player about their weaknesses and where they needed to improve - he was clear and consistent with it. Without him, we seem to have regressed (not seen to, listen to Noble's bullshit - we have).

How would you feel if you were Danger or Sloane, busting your arse every week, throwing everything you've got at the game, for your side, even with a busted face, while guys like Mackay and Wright skate on through, contributing nothing?

How would all of the young players feel when guys like VB are selected for more than half of the year, despite being garbage, while Crouch gets dropped after 3 excellent games, or Lyons can't force his way in after being our best SANFL player for almost 3 years (just on that, did you see how much players got around him after his first goal?)?

Crouch being dropped for what can only be concerns about his defensive efforts, while Thommo is worshipped by all, but almost never runs defensively?

It's toxic and it's bad for team morale and unity; I think a lot of people under estimate just how damaging it is.
Just think you're at work and your boss gives your colleague all the cushie gigs whilst telling you need to work on your deficiencies all because he's older and known him longer, what would morale of the office be like? If you were an up and comer would you tell him to * off and go to the opposition who are targeting you?

And before the usual suspects state he should be loyal and fight his way in to the clique, just think how clubs treat players they no longer want, loyalty is a two way street.

Exactly. Bob is a diesel, not a formula1. He's the worker we sorely missed from the first bounce.

At a time when our mids were getting comprehensively smashed and regularly getting nowhere near the ball it was incredibly frustrating to know that we had a 30+ possession player sitting in a green vest on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At some point the boys themselves have to take accountability and start holding each other to a higher standard. Coaches can only do so much, fans can only reiterate the obvious--it is up to them to take ownership of the season they wish to have.

I saw way to much standing around and loss of structure and that was from 10,000 miles away and on television. I can only imagine having had to sit thru that one in person.

Bottom line---whether this season is one to remember for overcoming an awful lot and making the 8 or just playing out the string--is completely within the players control. Time for them to seize the opportunity and show they are good enough

So the players need to have a pre-selection meeting, pick their team and then the players they choose to drop need to make themselves unavailable? It's a nice thought, but players don't have any involvement in selection. However, The players know who needs to come in for who to make the team better. They know they're pushing it uphill with Wright and Dmac and they know the guys missing out are deserving of their spot. It can turn toxic pretty quickly, especially in our situation.

Continuing with these plodders and bringing back VB, which is on the cards, will destroy this season and potentially a couple more depending on who we lose. It's no good having the best CEO in the business if the footy dept head has a track record of achieving nothing. Look at Campo's coaching history, last year or so of mad Sheedy at Essendon, then a year under Knights, then Neil Craig's last year and a bit and then 3 with Sando. Hasn't been involved in a successful work group since he began coaching. I doubt it's even possible to read a less impressive build up into a senior coach application. I doubt anyone with such a lacklustre CV would have the temerity to consider themselves the best man for any senior coaching gig. Although, it's not wise to discount sheer arrogance.

I have to admit, I'm wondering if Tex as Captain is a mistake.

You don't have to be Captain to be a leader; but you have to do more than just lead as a Captain.

I think it's probably a bit early. I reckon he's injured which would be just more of our typical bullshit misunderstanding of where we are as a team and what decisions need to be made to give ourselves the best chances of winning. Pods isn't my favourite, but he would have provided as much as Tex and it gives Tex a week off and without a couple of plane flights. Our coaches have 'taken it a week at a time' for a decade or more. Well, efftards, that's what you tell the media and get the players to focus on. It's not an actual policy that leads to sustained success.

Idk. Everytime he doesn't fire it seems we get killed in the midfield. When he fires we destroy. He is almost our barometer as of late.
I would suggest sauce is our barometer.

When he gives our mids 1st use, we generally dominate the midfield. When sauce breaks even or worse our mids lack of defensive plan b usually means we get smashed.

When he gives our mids 1st use, we generally dominate the midfield. When sauce breaks even or worse our mids lack of defensive plan b usually means we get smashed.
He has been opened up big time by the big bodied athletic types eg Nic Nat and Skirt.

Shouldn't that look bad on our midfield coach.

Oh sorry, our now head coach?

Yep, Thommo did a lovely backward overhead forward handball for Sydney.

Is it time for Thommo to pull the pin at the end of the season and finish his career on a high? His ability to get the ball is unquestioned, but the clangers are becoming more frequent and the free kicks against are mounting more and more every week. Time for Crouch jnr to assume Thommo's role?

He is too slow to play AFL football.

His decision making and actual speed of moving the ball on is way too slow.

IMO - we need to move on from him next yeat. Yes his form is good enough to play but I think as a club, we need to start moving forward and getting a much faster group in the midfield who can play Formula 1 fast break football. Scott Thompson can not do this.

Tackles like a walrus. Known outcome everytime - and this after xteen years!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back