General Problems Thread: 2009 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 26, 2008
Fight Club
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
76ers, Storm, Broad St.
Keep getting stuck at 25% (copying files) when trying to install 10...

Might try a clean install or wait until I'm actually prompted to download 10, because this is annoying.

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
Got an email from Microsoft this afternoon saying it could take from 2 days, to 2 weeks to get the notification.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
I actually really dislike the 'look' of Windows 10. The star bar with the tiles just looks clogged (can unpin stuff of course). I just like the 'old' style with Windows 7 how you'd click start, have most popular programs and then control panel, network, my computer etc all right there and it looked neat.

Also not a fan of how actual folders look, sort of looks like putting Windows 7 to the basic graphic setting.

I do hate any change though so I guess it was a given I was always going to dislike it, will keep playing around with it in virtual box for now. Is there anything that Windows 10 >>>> over Windows 7?

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
I actually really dislike the 'look' of Windows 10. The star bar with the tiles just looks clogged (can unpin stuff of course). I just like the 'old' style with Windows 7 how you'd click start, have most popular programs and then control panel, network, my computer etc all right there and it looked neat.

Also not a fan of how actual folders look, sort of looks like putting Windows 7 to the basic graphic setting.

I do hate any change though so I guess it was a given I was always going to dislike it, will keep playing around with it in virtual box for now. Is there anything that Windows 10 >>>> over Windows 7?

Not much. Launched Microsoft edge and first website I went to required Java, edge doesn't support it. First and last time I'll use that.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
websites that require java? lmao. are you still visiting 90's websites.

There's plenty of sites that still require it, particularly internal corporate sites. It's pretty ridiculous that they don't support it for legacy purposes, I had high hopes for it too (while Google sorts out the Chrome memory issues anyway).

Glees

Debutant
Apr 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Apologies if asked but does anyone know if there is any way for me to stream Netflix from my iPad to my TV through a tbox?

Or any other ideas that might achieve the same result.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Haven't used a tbox before so unsure of what that does, I assume it would be possible to do it through appletv if you've got that.

Otherwise you probably do it via a chromecast, costs about $40 (Dicksmith, Officeworks etc). HDMI and USB that goes into your tv for vision + power, you connect your phone to it via wifi. Run the netflix app from your phone (or ipad in this case) and then push it to your chromecast which will play it on your tv.

I've done this through android and I assume the process would be very similar for iphone, might be worth checking how that's done if that option does interest you.

Glees

Debutant
Apr 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks for the replies. I had been looking at the Chromecast option but was holding out hope that given both the Tbox and Ipad are connected to the same wifi that there might be a way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
still waiting for my W10 upgrade.. lol Microsoft.

Try this.....
Can't Wait For Windows 10? Here's How To Force Your System To Update
... and if that fails try this......
Locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

It should exist, but if not, create it.

Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

Once the registry key is modified, close and reopen the desktop Control Panel, go to Windows Update and check for updates. You should now be able to click the Get Started button to upgrade to Windows 10. Note: Windows 8.1 users must go to the desktop Control Panel, and not the modern Windows Update UI.

I had to add that registry entry to trigger it properly.

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
if i went and grabbed just the basic version of 8.1 would i be given a choice of what version of 10 to upgrade to? looking to upgrade to 10 pro
Capture.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back