St Kilda lobby AFL for gay pride game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Donners are you not a mod anymore? Were you removed for not being far enough to the left?

Hah, stepped down a while ago.

There were a few topics around at the time that I had personal knowledge about, and I wanted to get away lest I let something slip.

Having a look at some of the stuff that's around lately, I certainly don't miss the role.

The Dreamtime guff we already have is awful nonsense......80,000 people turning up to see a footy game and having to endure guff and blather about a culture 99% don't belong to and have no interest in.

Enough already with the political BS at the footy.

That's an oft-repeated myth arising from the 60-year-old Kinsey report, which has dubious methodology.

There's a variety of studies cited here, pretty much all with a significantly lower rate.

It's a contentious question - a study two years ago had it as 20% of people being attracted to their own gender. Also, if you look at those under 30, the numbers of people who identify as gay or whatnot is approaching 10%. As you would expect a young person today is more likely to be open regarding that than someone born earlier, it's not a far cry to think that was closer to the actual number. It's a difficult thing to get a true reading of, as many people will lie when questioned on it.

The saints are working towards the introduction of a gay pride game for next season. Along with creating awareness for gender equality and diversity, they will also attempting to educate people on the issue and why acceptance is such an important thing.

Great work from the Saints and I hope all the other clubs as well as fans throw throw their support behind this great cause.

If you would like to read more go here: http://m.theage.com.au/afl/st-kilda-lobby-afl-for-gay-pride-game-20150731-gip0kx.html

I'm pro gay marriage but can we have an awareness weekend for football?

The Dreamtime guff we already have is awful nonsense......80,000 people turning up to see a footy game and having to endure guff and blather about a culture 99% don't belong to and have no interest in.

Enough already with the political BS at the footy.
It doesn't matter if you don't have any interest.

We are on their land.

It doesn't matter if you don't have any interest.

We are on their land.

It matters to me. I have no interest in that culture.

It is not their land. it is ours. Mine. Yours. Theirs.

That culture has no relevance to the vast majority of Australians. Most have no interest in it. I have no interest in it and regard it as irrelevant as do most people I know. I and most regard Dreamtime as guff.

PS Of course I know the polite thing is not to say this but it I what it is.

I don't have a problem with having a gay round, but don't politicise it and make it about gay marriage or anything like that. Keep the focus on the AFL and gay people in the AFL.

It would be cool if they could run a slogan like "we support the anonymous footballer" as there would've had to have been a gay footballer at sometime and the fact we don't know about it means there has been some level of homophobia in our game.

The fact that Akermanis was slammed from pillar to post 5 years ago shows the AFL aren't really ready to have this conversation yet. I'd be happy to have a gay round and think it's a much bigger issue than racism in AFL but I just think the AFL would make it all about the political side and not about how it personally impacts on AFL.

I don't have a problem with having a gay round, but don't politicise it and make it about gay marriage or anything like that. Keep the focus on the AFL and gay people in the AFL.

It would be cool if they could run a slogan like "we support the anonymous footballer" as there would've had to have been a gay footballer at sometime and the fact we don't know about it means there has been some level of homophobia in our game.

The fact that Akermanis was slammed from pillar to post 5 years ago shows the AFL aren't really ready to have this conversation yet. I'd be happy to have a gay round and think it's a much bigger issue than racism in AFL but I just think the AFL would make it all about the political side and not about how it personally impacts on AFL.
The AFL's already politicised itself though, by supporting Recognise.

It matters to me. I have no interest in that culture.

It is not their land. it is ours. Mine. Yours. Theirs.

That culture has no relevance to the vast majority of Australians. Most have no interest in it. I have no interest in it and regard it as irrelevant as do most people I know. I and most regard Dreamtime as guff.

PS Of course I know the polite thing is not to say this but it I what it is.
Your entitled to your opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's frantatsic what the saints have done

Gay people are often very very marginliased ...

They are more likely to cop physical abuse and mental abuse From biggots (big footy forums members you know who you are and the undertones in ths thread are eerily similar to Adam Goodes thread)

The AFL is great platform to tackle sicial issues....it's a mass audience

And for all those saying oh I don't want it shoved down my throat i have a few tips

You don't own the game ......
Imagine if your daughter or son was gay and see want hey would go through

You can also just choose to go the footy and ignite it also ....it's funny isn't some here have said I don't want it shoved down my throat ...yet you click on a thread and take the time to post something ...

You could choose to do nothing

Your choice

I applaud the saints for this intitive and maybe for few minutes to day reflect what life is like for others and stop being so self centred ....we live in communities

Remember when football games were about football and not political/social issues?
I know, right? How dare we evolve to embrace the diversity of people that support the game.

The endemic "***********" "NTTAWWT" comments heard in pubs and sporting institutions is ridiculous in 2015. So much like denigrating blacks for being black and women for being women.

I think it's frantatsic what the saints have done

Gay people are often very very marginliased ...

They are more likely to cop physical abuse and mental abuse From biggots (big footy forums members you know who you are and the undertones in ths thread are eerily similar to Adam Goodes thread)

The AFL is great platform to tackle sicial issues....it's a mass audience

And for all those saying oh I don't want it shoved down my throat i have a few tips

You don't own the game ......
Imagine if your daughter or son was gay and see want hey would go through

You can also just choose to go the footy and ignite it also ....it's funny isn't some here have said I don't want it shoved down my throat ...yet you click on a thread and take the time to post something ...

You could choose to do nothing

Your choice

I applaud the saints for this intitive and maybe for few minutes to day reflect what life is like for others and stop being so self centred ....we live in communities

You can be pro or con for either issue, I have no problem with people believing what they want. I take issue with AFL being used as a platform to push an agenda which I may or may not subscribe to. How do people not get this?
Doesn't make me racist or a Homophobe, it makes me a believer in politic free football.

But what about straight white people? When will WE get something? It's discrimination it is.

Screen-Shot-2014-07-23-at-10.00.54-AM.png

You can be pro or con for either issue, I have no problem with people believing what they want. I take issue with AFL being used as a platform to push an agenda which I may or may not subscribe to. How do people not get this?
Doesn't make me racist or a Homophobe, it makes me a believer in politic free football.
Homosexuality is a social topic, not political.

What other "events" or "awarenesses" can we start polluting the game with now. Rounds will be named not numbered in 5 years.
While we as a sporting public continue to demonstrate bigotry, there will be a need to redress this.

Though I have no hard proof (pardon the pun), it is widely accepted now that teams are aware that they have gay players in their squad, but it is the public fallout that stops this from being revealed.

Ideally none of it would matter - the colour of your skin, your religion, your sexuality. But because it matters to so many still (as evidenced by the negative attitudes people still have about a variety of factors that contribute to the identity of individuals), there is some way to go before these things are no longer a source for condemnation and segregation.

The AFL's already politicised itself though, by supporting Recognise.

Yes I agree with you that the AFL have gone in too deep when it comes to Indigenous issues. So what I'm saying is if they would like to shine a light on homophobia in the AFL by both fans and clubs alike then great. Just don't make it about legislation or anything like that.

Yes I agree with you that the AFL have gone in too deep when it comes to Indigenous issues. So what I'm saying is if they would like to shine a light on homophobia in the AFL by both fans and clubs alike then great. Just don't make it about legislation or anything like that.
Too deep? Recognise is a great cause that should be supported.

Do we not have public institutions and bodies that are funded and equipped to deal with such issues?

Is a gay pride game really going to transform his opinion?

Dunno. I can't speak for him.

What I can say is that I do know that bringing the issue of homosexuality and other sexualities out into the open and discussing it openly - including through gay pride marches and other forms of open and public display of and support for LGTBI issues - has done a huge amount to de-stigmatise and lead to acceptance and understanding.

I also know that we've still never had an openly homosexual footballer. AFL is a massive part of Australian culture, yet it's one where gay blokes don't feel comfortable openly disclosing their sexuality. However many we've had and currently have, none have been prepared to come out of the closet and for that I'd say we still have a serious issue with acceptance.

Putting two and two together, if having a game or a round that celebrates the LGTBI community leads to wider acceptance, understanding and tolerance, then I'm all for it.

We scream for our footballers to be good role models, quick to condemn them for taking drugs, or putting it where it shouldn't be, but as soon as they stand for the rights of minorities, or a vaguely progressive issue, they're shoving the it down our collective throats, and the league is social engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back