Gardening

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that's a thought, might try some inside.

Even though Australia is a warm country our nights can be cold and frigid, not good conditions for growing anything.

I find if it's cold my seeds will wait for a period of wet overcast conditions before shooting up. I guess the humidity keeps the soil warm through the night.

Not enough heat? Even though something grows is winter doesn't mean it can germinate in the cold. That's what those germinating trays are for with the clear lids.

I've got one of those little greenhouse germinating boxes. Managed to sprout everything this winter except spinach - I can't get that to germinate at all.

Even though Australia is a warm country our nights can be cold and frigid, not good conditions for growing anything.

I find if it's cold my seeds will wait for a period of wet overcast conditions before shooting up. I guess the humidity keeps the soil warm through the night.
Where I am, nights are never frigid ;)

How hard is the ground now Kram81 ?
A year later after digging a deep trench around 1 half of the mandarin tree and filling it with good soil it hasn't grown and still is just over a metre tall, but for such a small thing it produced a heap of really good fruit. Far better than anything at the supermarket, at least out here.

I really want a few chooks. Which type lay the best eggs? Eggs are a big part of my diet so it would be ideal to start a Chook Pen.
ISA browns/Hylines are specifically breed for egg laying and the ones they all use in battery farms. I've only owned one that I nicked from the high school on the way home from the the pub :$ and chucked in my pen (****ing poor thing was bloody loaded with lice which then got into my flock) and it was surprisingly friendly as a pet as well, not much to look at though..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISA_Brown

I breed the light Sussex atm, they are larger white with black speckles on their neck and tails that are very friendly and nice looking but still quite reasonable layers. Bare in mind that all chickens when they get to about 5 laying will drop off significantly to eventually almost nothing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sussex_chicken

Last edited:
ISA browns/Hylines are specifically breed for egg laying and the ones they all use in battery farms. I've only owned one that I nicked from the high school on the way home from the the pub :$ and chucked in my pen (****ing poor thing was bloody loaded with lice which then got into my flock) and it was surprisingly friendly as a pet as well, not much to look at though..

Good god!

Thanks

Good god!

Thanks
It also had a bad case of scaly leg, clowns are supposed to be teaching kids how to look after animals properly! There's a long chicken thread on the Lifestyle board if you want to ask people any more questions. They are great pets and your own eggs will be miles better than anything from the supermarket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually put a lot of effort into the garden this spring. Got motivated to completely dig up 2 tiny fruit trees which were struggling because they hadn't been dug deep enough initially in the rock hard clay soil, dug a massive hole and put them back in with topsoil, manure and compost. Bloody hard work but it should hopefully pay off..

Front garden have done a lot of work restoring the flowers in the main bed and everywhere else. Looking pretty good. Probably gone overboard with my favourite snapdragons though, they are everywhere :)

Just starting to pull up some nice beetroots now as well.

Actually put a lot of effort into the garden this spring. Got motivated to completely dig up 2 tiny fruit trees which were struggling because they hadn't been dug deep enough initially in the rock hard clay soil, dug a massive hole and put them back in with topsoil, manure and compost. Bloody hard work but it should hopefully pay off..

Front garden have done a lot of work restoring the flowers in the main bed and everywhere else. Looking pretty good. Probably gone overboard with my favourite snapdragons though, they are everywhere :)

Just starting to pull up some nice beetroots now as well.

I have a lot of snapdragons and poppies too - just bought some zinnias and cosmos the other day to pop in somewhere.

Have put in a lot of tomatoes - got some really funky ones from Diggers.

Now just trying to work out when my potatoes are ready!

I really want a few chooks. Which type lay the best eggs? Eggs are a big part of my diet so it would be ideal to start a Chook Pen.
I've got three Isa Browns. Two we bought and they were 18 weeks old and laid the first day. About a month ago a neighbour gave us their Isa which hadn't been producing well. I suspect they had just been feeding her scraps as her shells were really thin and easily broken. Additionally she cracks them open to eat the shells meaning she was craving calcium.

Additionally two of our neighbours have lost chickens to foxes in the last couple of weeks...4 at one house and 8 at another. We're in Melville! So make sure you lock them away properly at night in a coop and not just in a run.

I've got three Isa Browns. Two we bought and they were 18 weeks old and laid the first day. About a month ago a neighbour gave us their Isa which hadn't been producing well. I suspect they had just been feeding her scraps as her shells were really thin and easily broken. Additionally she cracks them open to eat the shells meaning she was craving calcium.

Additionally two of our neighbours have lost chickens to foxes in the last couple of weeks...4 at one house and 8 at another. We're in Melville! So make sure you lock them away properly at night in a coop and not just in a run.

Thank you I used to live there. Now further south.

They are cunning ****s of things, I lost 2 mothers and almost all their Sussex and Pekin babies last year. Last time it happened was 20 years ago as a kid when one nailed my whole flock of Orpingtons. The mothers last year were just loose in the yard though I'd gotten complacent after so long, now everything stay in their yards at night plus almost always locked into their sleeping pens as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back