Review R18: Port v St Kilda review

Remove this Banner Ad

Ummmh.
I had Hammer with Ebo as extremely disappointing.
Getting a gold pass for mine.
Interesting how people see the game differently. I thought Hammer was 4th best behind Gray, Boak and Westhoff.
Happy with our sides performance. I thought the Saints had a real off day and the game lacked some AFL intensity at times.
I was critical of Hoon and Sam early in the game but they improved as the day went on, hopefully not just because the sting wasn't there.
Next week will be a big challenge against the Dogs. They were clinical against the Bombers.

Someone not getting as much recognition as he should is aaron young. Same amount of clearances as boak, more than ebert moore and hartlett (to be fair he played a kick behind the ball) and second to Robbie in centre clearances with the least time on ground besides of course wines and hoon. I don't really recall him making a vital stuff up that costed us a goal or something like that he is prone to. People think moore stood up when wines went down i reckon young did; he was a vital part of our win

Also a quiet achiever who just does his role week in, week out is tom clurey. Lose Mccartin on about 3 occasions though luckily he didn't score a goal. 13 disposals at 92% 5 marks, he keeps on keeping on.

I noticed we left the crows race uncovered today. Roo is full of s**t when he said it was the SMA that covered our race in the showdown earlier this year.

Pretty sure our race was covered last week. So how could it be a stadium management decision? I wouldn't put it past the Sanfl reps on the SMA but surely it is a crows call to cover GM's name.

We always do... as mentioned earlier, Roo is a total scumbag piece of crap and resorts to making up lies to cover up the shityness of the s**t stain of a club the AFC is.

Someone not getting as much recognition as he should is aaron young. Same amount of clearances as boak, more than ebert moore and hartlett (to be fair he played a kick behind the ball) and second to Robbie in centre clearances with the least time on ground besides of course wines and hoon. I don't really recall him making a vital stuff up that costed us a goal or something like that he is prone to. People think moore stood up when wines went down i reckon young did; he was a vital part of our win

Also a quiet achiever who just does his role week in, week out is tom clurey. Lose Mccartin on about 3 occasions though luckily he didn't score a goal. 13 disposals at 92% 5 marks, he keeps on keeping on.

Youngy was very good, some of his takeaways from ruck taps were breathtaking. Showed some dash and went in hard for the contested ball.

Youngy was great at getting the clearance (as he always is) but his kicks out of the pack didn't go anywhere useful. I'm sure his 800k contract from Geelong is in the mail.

Sidenote, is it just me or does Young get an unusually high percentage of baffling free kicks paid against him? Maybe they hate him because he has a man-bun. And if so, that's probably fair.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...oval-in-round-18/story-fnelctok-1227466822350
THANK goodness for the two Ws.
Justin Westhoff and Chad Wingard turned Adelaide Oval into their playground to inspire Port Adelaide to arguably its most complete performance of the season.

The pair of football magicians ensured the Power would keep its finals hopes alive for at least another week with standout displays to lead the home side to its biggest victory of its rollercoaster year.
With another W, midfield bull Ollie Wines, subbed out at quarter-time with a left shoulder injury, Westhoff and Wingard proved the difference makers as Port hammered St Kilda by 63 points, kicking at least four goals in every quarter.
More..
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...oval-in-round-18/story-fnelctok-1227466822350

(Log in to remove this ad.)

834751-c1542bd0-38d8-11e5-bb93-5d026adb0dd0.jpg

Justin Westhoff celebrates his freakish third quarter goal

Liked that a few of our fringe players stepped up. Sam Gray, Andrew Moore, Jake Neade all had great games; more of that please lads.

Agree with this. Well done to all those boys. They all played well. Would be good to see all of them put in more of those efforts consistently. They can all play the game - consistency is their biggest issue at this stage

lets put today's crowd in perspective. Last season same game drew 43k on a Saturday Night and when we were playing much better football.

37k with a 12.40pm sunday start is more than acceptable.

The club would be happy, and I'd assume the AFL would be reasonably happy with that figure as well. That's all we have to please.

Some Port fans, seriously, dead set complain if you won x-lotto.

When I was walking to the ground I said to my mate "s**t conditions to play a game of football."

People seem to forget that there was a strong and blustery wind and patchy rain. So clearly the skill wasn't going to be A1.

I thought we did what we needed to do. Solid effort, strong around the ball, some great hard running and some aggression off the ball which I loved.

I've been very critical of two players all year - Hartlett and Moore. Both had very good games today so well done to them. Moore needed it as I think he's at the cross roads but hopefully that gives him some confidence.

Thought Our back 6 was excellent.

I just think Port are a different side with Pittard in it, I love his panache. O'Shea just for the (se)X factor he brings. No one busts their gut more than O'Shea.

Wingard will go down as one of Port Adelaides finest players in our long history.

Play of the day - Fishing Rick flipping the coin...

Great win lads, we look sooooooooo much better when we move the ball on quick.

I am a fan of Clurey, does anyone know what his stats are against his opponents? is he getting any/many goals kicked on him? hard to pick up at the ground.

P.S - I am a critic of Neade but thought he showed a bit today.

O'Shea just for the (se)X factor he brings. No one busts their gut more than O'Shea.

Wingard will go down as one of Port Adelaides finest players in our long history.

agree with Wingard 1000000% but not with O'Shea, his biggest issue is a lapse in concentration at crucial times (in addition to skill errors), I personally hope he is traded at the end of the year and we get a half reasonable draft pick/player for him, he isn't in our best side. No disrespect to Cam but he has been around long enough now and probably needs a change of scenery.

Given the season, have to take a positive view on games like today. No point being miserable.

Hartlett was terrific - has been solid all year, but today he went up another level.

Pleased with Moore and Gray's games - both have copped a fair bit of stick (and I admit I was pretty skeptical of Gray's selection on Friday), but today there was no doubt they had strong contributions to a good win.

Westhoff, Lobbe and Schulz all lifted a good deal after fairly disappointing years. Keen to see if they can maintain the momentum next week.

Well I thought it was a good win today! Certainly not the cleanest, or the most dominant win we've had, but it was our best and only four quarter performance of the year.

For all bar 10 minutes in the 2nd quarter when we couldn't get the ball out of the backline, we played the game on our terms and won all four quarters. We limited St Kilda to their equal lowest score of the year and gave them one of their heaviest defeats.

I thought the backline was the star of the show. Hombsch was back to his best, did a great job on Bruce. O'Shea and Hartlett were outstanding across half back. Trengove & Clurey both did their job. The midfield were strong for most of the day. Won the clearances convincingly & the contested possessions. Some of the delivery inside 50 was poor but it was that sort of day. Must remember it was very blustery out there and add in the 5-10 minutes of rain it would have made conditions pretty trying out there.

It really was a full team effort. Those with question marks mostly played well - Young, Moore, S Gray. Hoon the only one I thought couldnt get into the pace of the game. The three prong tall forward line caused issues again. Westhoff should have been BOG with 4-5 goals and ranged from dead lazy to clinical (and arsey). Schulz led strongly all day and Ryder did what he had to do. Wingard was great, though went quiet in the second half.

I'm not sure what more people wanted from today. Big win, first game all year we've won all four quarters, good form, great goals. I'll take this any day!

PLAYER REVIEWS

The Best

R Gray - Thought he was just ok in the first half, but went bang with a magical second half of football - arguably the best half of footy he's played in the middle. It's not that he wasn't getting the ball in the first half, he was, but he tended to hold onto it too long and his usage was questionable on occasion. That was fixed after half time and he just went nuts! 23 touches for the half, ended up with equal career highs in disposals and clearances. Kicked a goal. Set up a couple of others. Tackled strongly and had some great defensive efforts. Best on and one of his games of the year.

Hartlett - Was interested when he lined up on a back flank and was glad he put in one of his best performances of the season. One terrible kick option kicking across the ground which led to a goal, but outside of that, he was fantastic back there. Did a good job on Schneider when on him and provided great link up disposal coming out of the back half. Has really turned his season around now and has probably been in our best 2-3 players in the last month. Great work Hammer!

Boak - Was one of our stars in the first half, especially to start the game he was getting his hands on the ball at the stoppages. Found a lot of ball on the outside today which was a pleasant surprise considering it was a part of his game that has struggled in 2015. Used it well and set up a number of goals. Thought he went out of the game for 20-30 minutes after getting the poke in the eye, but came home with a bang in the last quarter. One of his more complete games of the season.

Hombsch - Back to his best in style with a great game over the dangerous Josh Bruce. Kept him to just the 3 marks and kicked his only goal after the final siren. Was just about BOG at half time with a number of strong grabs and great defensive play. Was able to keep up with Bruce on the lead and knew when to zone off and try and create up field, even though he often didn't end up with the ball.

Westhoff - I don't think i've been as exhilirated and as frustrated with a single player in a single game since Clive Waterhouse retired. Looked like he was going to tear the game apart in the first quarter, but didn't. Kicked a clever soccer goal but really should have had 3 goals on the board at 1/4 time. Thought he needed to be more switched on with some of his work in the backline. Kicked one of the goals of the year in the third whilst having a strong second half. Could have been best on ground by a mile today had he taken his opportunities in front of goal.

The Rest

O'Shea - When he plays like this he is as important as anyone in the team. Loved his third man up work today and was able to land a number of key spoils. Backed into many packs and was great as a link man coming out of the back line. It's hard to see where Jonas can come back into the team when Cam is playing like this. One of our best!

Ryder - Similar to Westhoff, could have blown the game apart had he had his radar on. 1.3 wasn't a fair result for his influence I thought. Gave us great structure up forward and clunked some really nice marks. Had some notable hitouts to advantage on the few occasions he went into the ruck. Good game, could have been a great game.

S Gray - If he can play like that every week than there is no doubt he has a future at AFL level. Played further up the field and seemed to relish that opportunity, won some clearances, got plenty of hard ball and played a part in a number of goals. His link up play especially was very good, lots of neat handballs that set players free. Still a number of panic kicks, or dumb kicks that missed the target by some way, but there was something to work with today. Glad he kicked a goal too.

Wingard - At half time there was a sense that this would be a special day for Chad. Only the 7 touches to half time but had the three goals and it looked like he could end up with a real bag if we got on top. In the end he went missing until the last 10 minutes when he slotted his fourth for the day. Was hoping it would be a day where he'd end up with 6 or 7 but in the end, he was still super damaging when he got it. Had 2 goals touched on the line. Didn't seem to get any real time running outside of the forward 50.

Ebert - Mixed bag once again. Great start, hit some targets early, went out of it, came good in the second half but was wasteful with the ball. Struggled to win a number of 1 on 1's.

Moore - Similar to Sam, if he played like that every week, he'd be an absolute lock in the team. Strong around the ball, slotted a goal, tackled strongly and most importantly - put in a four quarter effort for one of the first times in his career. With Wines potentially out for some time, here is his chance to impress!

Colquhoun - Thought he ranged from clever to incredibly lazy and wasteful for much of the day. Made heaps of mistakes. Some he was able to clean up with some follow up defensive acts and win the ball back. Loved his run in the last quarter on the outer wing that led to a strong grab by Schulz. His lack of pace is a concern. Just couldn't seem to get with the pace of the game.

Broadbent - Solid as a rock across half back. Outside of some indecisive kick-ins, I thought he was one of our cleanest users on the day and didn't really waste any disposals. Like Hammer, its great to see him turn his year around and be one of our best over the last 4-6 weeks.

Schulz - Lots of long searching leads today and took some impressive grabs. Glad he got 2 goals. Another solid performance.

Lobbe - Two strong grabs, had to take some time to compose myself after the mark he took up forward. Was never going to miss. Ruck work was better than usual, though it took till the 2nd quarter before he really got going. One of his better games for the year!

Young - Really liked Youngy's game today and thought he stepped up in the premature absence of Ollie really well. Strong play through the middle, lots of clearances and found a fair bit of it on the outside as well. Ran forward and was able to get involved up forward. Some of his skills were sloppy, but overall thats the sort of game we want from Aaron on a weekly basis!

Neade - Much better this week across four quarters. Was able to find acres of space at times and used his pace to his advantage. Kicked two goals, really should have had a snap instead of giving off to Ryder in the last as well. One of his most consistent games and he provides so much positivity around that forward line when he plays like this.

White - Better than last week and kicked two nice goals. One of his better games for the year even though he didn't have huge numbers.

Clurey - Thought he had a really good battle with McCartin. Paddy out marked him a few times but overall I'm really impressed with Tom's ability to back into packs and take some strong grabs under pressure.

Pittard - Took a number of blood pressure rising risks today and for the most part they came off. Just seemed to run himself in circles quite a bit.

Trengove - Good job on Hickey, then went onto Bruce for a while and did the job on him too. Not much to do with the ball.

Wines - Had some really nice play in the opening minutes before popping the shoulder. Well played by Armitage for recognising what happened and calling for a trainer.

POTY Votes
9 - Gray
8 - Boak, Hartlett, Hombsch
7 - Westhoff, Moore, O'Shea, Lobbe, Neade
6 - Ryder, Wingard, Broadbent, Young
5 - S Gray, Schulz, White, Clurey, Trengove
4 - Colquhoun, Pittard
3 - Ebert
2 - Wines

afl.com.au suggested the scoreline 'flattered' the Power but personally, I never thought we lost control of the game.

Asked if she had a favourite player, Kelli says she was told Chad Wingard was the one to watch.

“I was watching the whole team, but everyone was talking about Wingard so I was trying to keep an eye on him,” Kelli says, adding

“They’re all strong and fit ... it’s really fascinating, not to mention a lot of them are pretty cute.”

668021-chad-wingard.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back