Review Autopsy vs Essendon, Round 18 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

dogsfan

All Australian
May 8, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
After watching how well we played today I couldn't help thinking of a quote Jake Stringer made earlier this year I think after signing his contract extension it went something like " when this group of young guys start to gel we are gonna be scary good " :p:D

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Honestly, I'm not sure I want us to finish top four. Freo at home is a scary proposition even if we do get a second chance the week after.
That's a crazy call for mine. Your 1 win from playing off for a Grand Final berth and Fremantle are far from unbeatable. In fact them over there with the double chance......I don't reckon there would be too much in it.

Or we could finish 5th and play Geelong or North which would be pretty tough.

One little bone to pick with the crowd. Guys why boo Coons?
Dude was chucked out, a bit uncharitable.
But were they? I just thought it was a bit of a light-hearted and deliberately ambiguous "Co-o-o-o-n" chant. I wasn't there though, so happy to be corrected.

chop0205

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2007
West Wyalong
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can I just say I absolutely hate listening to Leigh Matthews.
Has he gone senile? He either has no time or respect for us or he is another one of the "elite" commentators who watch 23 games a year! I mean, come on, we aren't contenders but Richmond are?? I spose Sydney and West Coast aren't contenders either? His comments suggesting a "mosquito" fleet of Stringer and Crameri akin to Gia, Aker and Johnno, please? Stringer and Crameri would be 3-4 inches taller, near power fwd's. Very disrespectful today in the com box, and we all remember his thoughts on Boyd, just a nasty old man who likes to throw cheap shots, sort of like how he played eh?

Feb 11, 2008
West Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
But were they? I just thought it was a bit of a light-hearted and deliberately ambiguous "Co-o-o-o-n" chant. I wasn't there though, so happy to be corrected.
Definitely boos. Obviously racially motivated. Anti-ranga sentiment is at it's peak.

trophies

Debutant
Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nope, you aren't, and I admitted a long time ago that I was wrong! :p You're a decent side.

Not as good as the top 4 or 5 teams in the competition though, imo. :cool:

BRING IT! :D
We ARE in the top 5 teams in the competition.
Look at the ladder

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Definitely boos. Obviously racially motivated. Anti-ranga sentiment is at it's peak.
During Red Round of all rounds?

Folks need to seriously take a long hard look at themselves.

:rolleyes:

image.jpg

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I thought Grant was pretty good. That run away from Stanton was great.

Biggs was OK. Yep he had that clanger but he also struggled in his one on one contestes. He's great out in space but don't we have enough of those defenders when we look at team balance?
it was a scintillating runaway. If the season ended now i'd say Grant was ok.

I thought Biggs' contest was fine, he's generally matched up on a tall and has a good crack at it. Has a lot of improvement to do before he's really damaging opposition regularly but he's getting himself in games by continually running. Whenever we have the ball in the back half we just don't stop moving and Biggs is a good example of that.

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Has he gone senile? He either has no time or respect for us or he is another one of the "elite" commentators who watch 23 games a year! I mean, come on, we aren't contenders but Richmond are?? I spose Sydney and West Coast aren't contenders either? His comments suggesting a "mosquito" fleet of Stringer and Crameri akin to Gia, Aker and Johnno, please? Stringer and Crameri would be 3-4 inches taller, near power fwd's. Very disrespectful today in the com box, and we all remember his thoughts on Boyd, just a nasty old man who likes to throw cheap shots, sort of like how he played eh?
He's a more depressing version of Malcolm Blight. Hugely arrogant, but with no humour and just talks garbage. It does my head in, and I enjoy most media commentators.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
it was a scintillating runaway. If the season ended now i'd say Grant was ok.

I thought Biggs' contest was fine, he's generally matched up on a tall and has a good crack at it. Has a lot of improvement to do before he's really damaging opposition regularly but he's getting himself in games by continually running. Whenever we have the ball in the back half we just don't stop moving and Biggs is a good example of that.
It's been Grant's best year. He's contributing every week but needs to work on his set shots.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
now guys, don't misunderstand me here, I think Lethal is an absolute twat and i'm disgusted by his ongoing stance on us but we're not contenders (i'm assuming this is what he said?). We're really bloody close to locking up a finals spot which is amazing but we're not on the same planet as Hawthorn

now guys, don't misunderstand me here, I think Lethal is an absolute twat and i'm disgusted by his ongoing stance on us but we're not contenders (i'm assuming this is what he said?). We're really bloody close to locking up a finals spot which is amazing but we're not on the same planet as Hawthorn
He said we haven't beaten any of the good sides....

I've got to come up with a new term to describe a Bontempell-esque game (or maybe just call it a Bontempelli-esque game and compare other players to him), but Bontempelli had a yet another ripper game and nobody really gives him credit - a very typical game that Bontempelli plays. For example, he isn't among the Ching votes from very many. I'm not saying he was in our best 4-5, but also, people don't realise how good his game was gong by Ching and this thread.

Only 24 disposals but less than 50% contested, and only a disposal efficiency of about 79% but:
  • He hit targets forward of centre
  • He picked up genuine hard contested balls under physical pressure and fired off handballs - very clean below his knees
  • Got high metres gained when he was impacting the play
  • When he wasn't getting those high metres, he was part of a great forward thrust possession chain.
  • 6 inside 50's - another great stat
Disposal numbers are overrated. Give me Bont's game over Statnton (7 contested possessions and 25 uncontested possessions) or Heppell's (only 1 inside 50) any day of the week, despite the fact that they had 10 and 8 disposals more than Bontempelli respectively.

Just wait and see - other clubs willy slowly catch on to start rating Bontempelli-esque games. A game like his can be very, very impactful with "just" the 20-25 touches like he often gets rather than the 30+ that the media and fans seem to love so much but they don't actually impact the game and produce points for your team.

He's done it a lot this this year. One example among half a dozen similar games so far this season was the Freo game - 18 disposals but 7 inside 50's. I made a comment after that game that he wasn't getting enough credit for actually impacting the game, because people see the fact he's only had 18 touches but it's the combination of winning contested ball and having high metres gained which actually matters more than raw disposal numbers and it's Bontempelli who does it so well.

Lex22

Club Legend
Jun 8, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Look in all honesty, it was a good win by the Dogs today, my original comment was actually not trolling, even if it was taken that way.

Pointing out that you've had a very easy draw shouldn't be offensive to any of you though, because it's just the reality of the situation.

Doesn't take away the fact that you've also beaten most of them, but I just don't think it entitles you to start thinking you're in the upper echelon of teams just yet either. Any mid-range side (i.e 6th-10th) would probably win the majority of the games you have had.

You've played 7 of the bottom 8 teams in the past 8 weeks, that's just a fact pure and simple. And in the next 5 weeks, you get to play 12th, 14th, and 18th again. From where you've come from, it's still a fantastic achievement to be where you're at, but when I see some of you in here declaring you're a Top 4 chance, it's a little silly isn't it guys? :drunk:

And saying stuff like "well geez I'd rather we didn't make Top 4 actually" as if it was actually your choice! :confused:

I mean c'mon guys, be realistic here is all I'm saying, no offense intended of course. Hell, you should be absolutely stoked that you even got this far, 11 wins is a fantastic effort, and well above pre-season expectations for this list I would have thought.

Even if you lose every game from here on out, this season has been a massive success for you guys. Anything above 6 or 7 wins was always going to be. :thumbsu:

Well done again on today's efforts against the Druggies! :)
You beat Hawthorn when their having an off night and all of a sudden you talk like a seasoned premiership campaigner.

Nobody has gone over the top here. We're all genuinely proud of what we're achieved and yes we've succeeded expectations, but our form against the top 8 sides is very good.

Richmond haven't won a final in what 14-15 years? How about you piss off back to your own board where you remain the least successful and most irrelevant club since 1980.

Bev was mixing up the tactics as well. Moyd spent about a 3 minute period at full forward in the first quarter, not even kidding. I don't know how and why he does stuff like that (Goodes in the ruck against Sandilands anyone) but it seems to work.

Gmod23

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Ravens
LM must think that there are only 2 good sides this year. Hawthorne and Fremantle. Both are getting to the end of their eras. WCE were beaten by us, so they mustn't be any good.

Last see going for a late evening paddle on the river denial. No doubt desperately looking for a baby in a reed basket in the hope that it may save what remains of his tattered coaching career.

He was so inept today that I doubt he could hit the water if he fell out of his rowboat.

james.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back