2nds VFL team v Frankston @ Frankston 2pm sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

I also thought he was more this

dont_believe.jpg
Same.

No,lesson is using a condom many years ago can prevent these problems ;)

Nice thought@JUBJUB
However he's Cats thru and thru but loves Dusty as well - he takes the piss but I think there's a small amount of respect that his old man actually participates in a Footy Forum
He's a beauty though - true good luck charm - batting 2 from 2 having made the trip with me in 07 & 11 !!

t
Lesson learnt - do not stay logged in and disappear for a while whist teenage son is home alone !!
Been there and done that too often.
My son at one stage changed the status of his older sister on Facebook, and we were getting congratulations for days.

All ended well, they are engaged now, 2 years later.

Last edited:
almost crazy but I am more excited in last few weeks about how the boys go in the VFL than the AFL. I think we will know more about the future of the club (circa 2017-2020) in the last few rounds of VFL than nearly anything we get in the seniors.

Can Menz's body continue to stand up. Likewise Vardy. Both have the talent to make impacts immediately in2016 if get some durability.

GHS, Gore, Cunico - presume the development arc continues

Wildcard - Bates - jez, an agile, quick, skilled, impact small foward would be a great backup to Gregson. Potential super sub material in short term. If body holds up - sign him up?

Conundrums -
Jansen - encouraging signs, but there is now a pack of players in front. Maybe hasn't shown enough. Maybe a delist and then rookie pick up
Cowen - did he play ? if he can play last few rounds and impact VFL, surely too big a risk for another year on the list.
Simpson - unless they don't pick a durable ready to go ruck in ND surely they can't persist. Maybe also another delist and rookie option, but only if remains fit.

Presume McCarthy has to go. Bad luck for him, but never tore up the firsts in this few games, to be honest.

Will need to lose 6 plus players from the list, particularly if rumours of Danger and one or two others coming are true. Unless they get more then two of the "old guard" going then are going to have to make hard decisions.

Brilliant post, Bobby_. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your summation of the match. Your recent postings have suggested you've been a bit down in the dumps regarding where the club is at, so it's great to see you've had a change of heart after witnessing first hand some of the talent coming through. Great pic with Menz, also. Thanks for sharing it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Vardy followed up from last week’s comeback game with a strong performance against the Dolphins. Vardy was potent up forward and finished with 12 disposals and a goal.

Dawson Simpson was the dominant big man on the ground totaling 53 hitouts against Frankston’s debutant ruckman Jayden Bubb. The big Cat also gathered 15 possessions in conditions not suited to big men.

(Dawson) took a few nice marks in the first half and looked like he was going to be a threat in the air.

“He gave us first use going forward and his tap work was really good, Dawson had a really solid game,” Hood said.

Young Cat Dean Gore his impressive debut VFL season with a classy four-quarter performance. Gore had the ball on a string for most of the day and finished with 32 possessions, 10 marks and a goal.

Gore played across half-back for the first time in 2015 and Hood was impressed with his ability to adapt to the position so quickly.

Daniel Menzel was dangerous up forward, kicking three goals, taking nine marks and tallying 21 touches in his fourth game back from injury.

George Horlin-Smith put up his hand for a senior recall with a best afield performance. Horlin-Smith had a game-high 43 touches, eight marks, eight tackles and eight clearances.

Veteran duo Jared Rivers (20 disposals) and Mathew Stokes (28) both pushed their respective cases for an AFL recall as they played key roles in the Cats’ big win.

VFL Round 16 – Bendigo Bank Cats 16.20 (116) def. Frankston Dolphins 6.9 (45)

Goals: Menzel 3, Stokes 2, Gore, Vardy, Horlin-Smith, Jansen, Luxford, Lucey, Bates, Sheringham, Farrelly, Paliouras, Haintz

Best: Horlin-Smith, Stokes, Gore, Dixon, Menzel, Simpson

Reports: Nil

Injuries: Nil @ Frankston Oval.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-08-02/vfl-cats-record-convincing-win

INJURIES NIL!!!
Music to my ears! :D:D

Last edited:
What a wonderful day!

Gore is a terrific prospect. He played half back and was rock solid. He has a very peculiar running style. Almost wobbles from side to side like Heath Shaw from GWS. His toughness and his reading of the play is sublime. Seriously looks like he will consolidate a spot in our starting 22 next year. I would even be inclined to play this bloke ahead of Smedts across half back because he seemed to make no mistakes at all and when he forced under pressure, he tends to think his way through and make the right decision by hand or foot. Not that big in stature but built very solidly. Very wide through the hips but bloody hard as nails. Great talent this one.

Bates is another one that looks incredibly promising. Tough like Gore. Really hits in hard and dishes it out too. I saw him a few weeks ago and immediately noticed something about his game and today he showed it was no fluke. His kicking is sublime. He doesn't panic and for a rookie selection, this guy is probably the best talent the club has picked up for many, many years. He'll play seniors soon, it's just a matter of seeing how he adjusts to that step up in competition but today he was amongst our best players in my opinion.
thanks so much for your wonderful report, Bobby_. It was certainly worth waiting for!
Just a couple of things- you spoke so highly of Gore being so good at HB- Coach Hood said it was the first time he has played in that position- that's a real plug for the boy.

And Bates- I've always thought of him as a lightly-bullt bloke. Is he more nuggety and built bigger than he looks from afar? (I was thinking Gregson's build, maybe early Motlop years)

What a wonderful day!

Menz is a top bloke. Incredibly generous giving his time to supporters who hassled him during the quarter time breaks and at the end of the game.
He was kind enough to take a picture with me which I'll treasure forever :)
(thanks Daniel!)

for%20Bigfooty_zpsmwnzm4dy.jpg

As for the game . . .

Horlin-Smith was brilliant. he's going to be a player, absolutely no doubt in my mind about that. His reading of the play is superb. While he will always be slow and somewhat liable in today's fast paced footy enviroment, his judgment, reading and skills in-close, are AFL quality and then some. Just needs to get back into the senior squad and begin to build on his career. Really has a lot of Sam Mitchell about his game.
Would have had about 30 disposals and 5 clearances. Kicked a goal or two as well.

Menzel is just a class above it's not funny. He looked very confident and even took a screamer out at half forward. Was a terrific mark. Out jumped all and the applause was emphatic when he hit the turf. That leaping ability is there in bundles.
Watched him very closely and was amazed at how quick he is. His speed is sublime but it's his ability to mark which makes him a truly tough match up for anyone. He is also a very solid unit. Must stand at least 6ft'3 or more in the old but looks a seriously strong individual. Ran all day long. Didn't stop jogging around, zig zagging and what not. Just love his marking. His hands clunk the ball. There is never any double grabbing. He looks like he's ready for seniors but I doubt he will be risked just yet. I'd be inclined to give him a lot more time than usual just so he is as confident in himself as he can possibly be.
I suspect he wouldn't mind just to be out there playing in the lower division for now. He doesn't have to worry about the spotlight being on him nor the consistent hassling he will cop at the top level. Another month in the VFL and he'll be almost set for the big time again.

Vardy was another that impressed the whole game long. I love the way he attacks the high ball. When he makes up his mind to go for a mark, he just goes for them with reckless abandon. Nothing like Kersten or even Hawkins who look hesitant in jumping for their marks. Vardy just goes for it. We have really missed this guy. He must have kicked 3 goals like Menzel today. Also missed quite a few too but he would have taken about 3 or more contested marks. Very promising signs. Like Menzel, just looks like star quality or a player that stands out compared to the rest mainly due to his natural athleticism.

Gore is a terrific prospect. He played half back and was rock solid. He has a very peculiar running style. Almost wobbles from side to side like Heath Shaw from GWS. His toughness and his reading of the play is sublime. Seriously looks like he will consolidate a spot in our starting 22 next year. I would even be inclined to play this bloke ahead of Smedts across half back because he seemed to make no mistakes at all and when he forced under pressure, he tends to think his way through and make the right decision by hand or foot. Not that big in stature but built very solidly. Very wide through the hips but bloody hard as nails. Great talent this one.

Jansen was excellent again. I like this bloke. Has a lot of David Mundy about him. He also plays forward due to his size. He took a spectacular mark in the second half over a couple of players and must have setup about 3 or 4 goals directly himself. His disposal efficiency isn't as good as Horlin-Smith or others but his ability to use that sheer size to his advantage is Blicavs-like. I think he needs to get games now. Given how good he looked forward, Kersten may be under threat in losing his spot in the team because Jansen not only plays like a natural forward, he's an even better midfielder and something we could do with at the moment.
Great game today and showed a lot of aggression out there smacking into a few blokes along the way.

Bates is another one that looks incredibly promising. Tough like Gore. Really hits in hard and dishes it out too. I saw him a few weeks ago and immediately noticed something about his game and today he showed it was no fluke. His kicking is sublime. He doesn't panic and for a rookie selection, this guy is probably the best talent the club has picked up for many, many years. He'll play seniors soon, it's just a matter of seeing how he adjusts to that step up in competition but today he was amongst our best players in my opinion.

Rivers was very disappointing but it is to be expected. He almost looks finished in my opinion. Made a couple of uncharacteristic errors and I would be very surprised if he gets a recall. Kolodjashnij may have indeed taken his opportunity with both hands and will keep Rivers out of the team for the meantime.

Simpson was good. He took a terrific pack mark but it was probably his only mark. Would be fantastic if he could try to take more marks but it doesn't appear to be his game. His is a spoiling ruckman and will always opt to punch the ball out of bounds as opposed to marking it. Shame because he stands close to 7 feet tall and when he puts his arms right up, he's nearly impossible to spoil but he simply doesn't demand the ball nor show enough physicality for a player of such size. If he had Mumford's temperament, we'd have an intimating force to be reckoned with. Maybe a solid backup ruck to keep on the list as I still believe Lucey is a very long way off from playing AFL. At least Simpson can play the odd game here or there if need be.

Stokesy was good. He still looks like he's best 22 material but you would suspect a few of these blokes knew this time would come. They may have been told they will spend more time in the VFL so that the youth can get much needed experience. Stokes is a hard nut, always has been. When we walked past him during the break, was amazed at how solid he was. He isn't all that short either. I know he looks short on TV against the average AFL player but when you get up close to these guys, they are built like mini body builders so they must hit hard. To any of us who don't play sports, they are impressively built individuals who obviously spend most of their lives in the gym.

Fanstastic write up and coverage. Great analysis. And so good to hear that even thought the opposition was not great, the team played well. They needed the win after being overrun last week. Should not have lost that game.

Menzel, Gore, Vardy, Hyphen, Bates, Cunico all having a big impact and making their way.

Gold. Great stuff for next week and the future.

Just one thing.

How long did it take you to get your hair to match Menz's????? Dedication!.:thumbsu::thumbsu::D

Go Catters

Last edited:
thanks so much for your wonderful report, Bobby_. It was certainly worth waiting for!
Just a couple of things- you spoke so highly of Gore being so good at HB- Coach Hood said it was the first time he has played in that position- that's a real plug for the boy.

And Bates- I've always thought of him as a lightly-bullt bloke. Is he more nuggety and built bigger than he looks from afar? (I was thinking Gregson's build, maybe early Motlop years)

On Bates - nuggety is a good description. Short but nuggety.
Great kick. Just needs to keep increasing his possession count.

Gore is an accumulator. In the patch of very good early season form he seemed to be where the ball was all the time. No outstanding core attributes like say Cockatoo - other than this ability to get to contests. I chuckled when I read Bobby's excellent report in which he stated that Gore has a funny running style. Right on the money there. Heath Shaw is a good comparison and Watson at the Bombers another. Doesn't seem to stop him getting around but.

Playing the role Cowan was playing (across half back and often loose) would suit him. His reading of the play would be best utilized in that sort of role. Not a line breaker but a good distributor.

Last edited:
I was referring to your comment about the club taking risks on injured players. Whether you mean playing them unwisely, or recruiting those already injured, I am now not sure what you meant, but it's not important anyway.
All I think is , we don't take risks with injured players.

Yep I can see how that happened Vdubs, because I flicked from talking about team selection, in the first par, to thinking about recruitment, in the second. I don't want the club to take risks in selection and generally they don't seem to, although I am not sure the club are quite so conservative in their selection as they claim to be.

But to clarify: things were dire for us this season because we have taken a lot of risks with recruiting very talented players who were undervalued because they were injured. It works, often, and works well because we have been able to give players time. But the flip side is that we need to put significant value on very durable players. Walker seems to fit that bill.

What a wonderful day!

Menz is a top bloke. Incredibly generous giving his time to supporters who hassled him during the quarter time breaks and at the end of the game.
He was kind enough to take a picture with me which I'll treasure forever :)
(thanks Daniel!)

for%20Bigfooty_zpsmwnzm4dy.jpg

As for the game . . .

Horlin-Smith was brilliant. he's going to be a player, absolutely no doubt in my mind about that. His reading of the play is superb. While he will always be slow and somewhat liable in today's fast paced footy enviroment, his judgment, reading and skills in-close, are AFL quality and then some. Just needs to get back into the senior squad and begin to build on his career. Really has a lot of Sam Mitchell about his game.
Would have had about 30 disposals and 5 clearances. Kicked a goal or two as well.

Menzel is just a class above it's not funny. He looked very confident and even took a screamer out at half forward. Was a terrific mark. Out jumped all and the applause was emphatic when he hit the turf. That leaping ability is there in bundles.
Watched him very closely and was amazed at how quick he is. His speed is sublime but it's his ability to mark which makes him a truly tough match up for anyone. He is also a very solid unit. Must stand at least 6ft'3 or more in the old but looks a seriously strong individual. Ran all day long. Didn't stop jogging around, zig zagging and what not. Just love his marking. His hands clunk the ball. There is never any double grabbing. He looks like he's ready for seniors but I doubt he will be risked just yet. I'd be inclined to give him a lot more time than usual just so he is as confident in himself as he can possibly be.
I suspect he wouldn't mind just to be out there playing in the lower division for now. He doesn't have to worry about the spotlight being on him nor the consistent hassling he will cop at the top level. Another month in the VFL and he'll be almost set for the big time again.

Vardy was another that impressed the whole game long. I love the way he attacks the high ball. When he makes up his mind to go for a mark, he just goes for them with reckless abandon. Nothing like Kersten or even Hawkins who look hesitant in jumping for their marks. Vardy just goes for it. We have really missed this guy. He must have kicked 3 goals like Menzel today. Also missed quite a few too but he would have taken about 3 or more contested marks. Very promising signs. Like Menzel, just looks like star quality or a player that stands out compared to the rest mainly due to his natural athleticism.

Jansen was excellent again. I like this bloke. Has a lot of David Mundy about him. He also plays forward due to his size. He took a spectacular mark in the second half over a couple of players and must have setup about 3 or 4 goals directly himself. His disposal efficiency isn't as good as Horlin-Smith or others but his ability to use that sheer size to his advantage is Blicavs-like. I think he needs to get games now. Given how good he looked forward, Kersten may be under threat in losing his spot in the team because Jansen not only plays like a natural forward, he's an even better midfielder and something we could do with at the moment.
Great game today and showed a lot of aggression out there smacking into a few blokes along the way.

Rivers was very disappointing but it is to be expected. He almost looks finished in my opinion. Made a couple of uncharacteristic errors and I would be very surprised if he gets a recall. Kolodjashnij may have indeed taken his opportunity with both hands and will keep Rivers out of the team for the meantime.

Simpson was good. He took a terrific pack mark but it was probably his only mark. Would be fantastic if he could try to take more marks but it doesn't appear to be his game. His is a spoiling ruckman and will always opt to punch the ball out of bounds as opposed to marking it. Shame because he stands close to 7 feet tall and when he puts his arms right up, he's nearly impossible to spoil but he simply doesn't demand the ball nor show enough physicality for a player of such size. If he had Mumford's temperament, we'd have an intimating force to be reckoned with. Maybe a solid backup ruck to keep on the list as I still believe Lucey is a very long way off from playing AFL. At least Simpson can play the odd game here or there if need be.

Stokesy was good. He still looks like he's best 22 material but you would suspect a few of these blokes knew this time would come. They may have been told they will spend more time in the VFL so that the youth can get much needed experience. Stokes is a hard nut, always has been. When we walked past him during the break, was amazed at how solid he was. He isn't all that short either. I know he looks short on TV against the average AFL player but when you get up close to these guys, they are built like mini body builders so they must hit hard. To any of us who don't play sports, they are impressively built individuals who obviously spend most of their lives in the gym.

Bobby!!!!! Runs all day on the keyboard, then takes a screamer with Menz*.

(*correction: has a screamer taken with Menz)

Good questions Live in hope.

Bobby_ did Cowan play today?

he was good. The whole team hardly missed a beat but my oldman rarely brings up individual players and he asked who that no.18 was as he was playing well to that point in the game. Used the footy smartly and looks like he may finish off the year in really good stead.

I just realized from reading the article it was Gore's first game at half back! Then again, the opposition weren't much chop. Effectively talking about footballers who would be working during the week so part timers against full time footballers.
Be very interested to see how Gore travels next week against much better opponents who read and attack the ball a little better.

Yes, Bates is not lightly built at all. He's solid and very aggressive. I think it was him who decked one of the Frankston players off the ball before one of the quarters started. He was rolling around in agony and Bates was not far from the scene where players from both sides were having a little brawl.
You will see what I mean when you see him play next time, he does hit in hard and when he has to put his own body on the line, knowing he's going to get a little more than usual, he certainly didn't hesitate at any time during the game. Impressive stuff for such an inexperienced young footballer.

he was good. The whole team hardly missed a beat but my oldman rarely brings up individual players and he asked who that no.18 was as he was playing well to that point in the game. Used the footy smartly and looks like he may finish off the year in really good stead.

I just realized from reading the article it was Gore's first game at half back! Then again, the opposition weren't much chop. Effectively talking about footballers who would be working during the week so part timers against full time footballers.
Be very interested to see how Gore travels next week against much better opponents who read and attack the ball a little better.

Yes, Bates is not lightly built at all. He's solid and very aggressive. I think it was him who decked one of the Frankston players off the ball before one of the quarters started. He was rolling around in agony and Bates was not far from the scene where players from both sides were having a little brawl.
You will see what I mean when you see him play next time, he does hit in hard and when he has to put his own body on the line, knowing he's going to get a little more than usual, he certainly didn't hesitate at any time during the game. Impressive stuff for such an inexperienced young footballer.

Apart from you there was little on Cowan. Thanks for that. Glad to hear he did good.

GO Catters

On Bates - nuggety is a good description. Short but nuggety.
Great kick. Just needs to keep increasing his possession count.

Gore is an accumulator. In the patch of very good early season form he seemed to be where the ball was all the time. No outstanding core attributes like say Cockatoo - other than this ability to get to contests. I chuckled when I read Bobby's excellent report in which he stated that Gore has a funny running style. Right on the money there. Heath Shaw is a good comparison and Watson at the Bombers another. Doesn't seem to stop him getting around but.

Playing the role Cowan was playing (across half back and often loose) would suit him. His reading of the play would be best utilized in that sort of role. Not a line breaker but a good distributor.

Not a linebreaker you said CW, I'd say he's got that ability, seen enough of his early footy highlights that suggest quite capable of that. He hits the contest at pace and just keeps running, that seemed to be a common trend when playing for SA running the ball into the forwardline.
It 's a pity he had that early set back with the shoulder and may well have played senior footy by now, most importantly the shoulder's now just a nasty intrusion to what's been a stellar year to date.
I'm wondering if Delaney's close to an appearance in the two's, now there's a unit sized defender waiting in the wings.

That photo's a definite keeper Bobby, great review.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back