Review Round 18: Freo Defeats GWS by 21 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neale is a ball magnet,38 possies.
Weller, great ball carry with a beautiful penetrating kick, just what we need.
Mundy, Hill, Barlow sublime and worked their butts off.
Macca solid in defence
Alex Pearce, gee he's going to be good, seriously good
The exciting thing is that there is a lot of improvement left for this team and we are in a great position to challenge for a flag this year. Get excited:fire:

Said before the game that I just wanted the win didn't care how so I'm happy with the 4 points.

Lots to like and dislike about the game.

- Dawson you muppet. Hopefully Silvagni or Johnson are good to come in so A Pearce can stay forward.
- Happy with Mayne's effort, did well around the ground and got on the end of two goals. Missed an easy set shot though.
- I just don't think De Boer is good enough. Got involved and tackled well but his skills are average at best.
- Weller, holy s**t. Skills, composure, hardness, class. Cannot wait to see what he can do in a full game.
- Alex Pearce did really well up forward. Don't know what the heck he did with his first two shots (barely went 35m). But made a contest out of everything, awesome tackle and goal.
- Crozier was terrible which is a shame. Didn't back up last week's efforts. Hopefully stays in though, he's better than that.
- Big fan of Sherro, loving his confidence. Getting better every game. Played a good game today, a few iffy disposals thst hurt us are stopping me from saying he had a great game.
- Sandi and Griffen dominated the ruck as expected against a kid. But also marked the ball around ground. However if you mark the ball 15m out from goal DO NOT ******* HANDBALL IT AWAY. KICK THE ******* GOAL. Sorry but I lost it at the TV when that happened.
- Mundy and Hill all class today.
- Neale got alot of the ball but didn't really do much with it that I could see. Priddis like performance. Good but average at the same time :drunk:
- Walters is our most dangerous player by a country mile.
- Think in that qtr Ross changed a few things up to rest up a few of our vets.
- oh and we have some delicate petals on this board. Is it the 'in' thing to declare that you're taking time away from big footy because you don't like people disagreeing with your opinion. It's a discussion board get a grip people.

Overall really happy this weekend, Hawks lose, Wet Toast draw and we win :):):):)

Last edited:
Said before the game that I just wanted the win didn't care how so I'm happy with the 4 points.

Lots to like and dislike about the game.

- Dawson you muppet. Hopefully Silvagni or Johnson are good to come in so A Pearce can stay forward.
- Happy with Mayne's effort, did well around the ground and got on the end of two goals. Missed an easy set shot though.
- I just don't think De Boer is good enough. Got involved and tackled well but his skills are average at best.
- Weller, holy s**t. Skills, composer, hardness, class. Cannot wait to see what he can do in a full game.
- Alex Pearce did really well up forward. Don't know what the heck he did with his first two shots (barely went 35m). But made a contest out of everything, awesome tackle and goal.
- Crozier was terrible which is a shame. Didn't back up last week's efforts. Hopefully stays in though, he's better than that.
- Big fan of Sherro, loving his confidence. Getting better every game. Played a good game today, a few iffy disposals thst hurt us are stopping me from saying he had a great game.
- Sandi and Griffen dominated the ruck as expected against a kid. But also marked the ball around ground. However if you mark the ball 15m out from goal DO NOT ******* HANDBALL IT AWAY. KICK THE ******* GOAL. Sorry but I lost it at the TV when that happened.
- Mundy and Hill all class today.
- Neale got alot of the ball but didn't really do much with it that I could see. Priddis like performance. Good but average at the same time :drunk:
- Walters is our most dangerous player by a country mile.
- Think in that qtr Ross changed a few things up to rest up a few of our vets.
- oh and we have some delicate petals on this board. Is it the 'in' thing to declare that you're taking time away from big footy because you don't like people disagreeing with your opinion. It's a discussion board get a grip people.

Overall really happy this weekend, Hawks lose, Wet Toast draw and we win :):):):)

Thought the game was a bit of a chore to sit through so props for bothering with a proper summary. Agree with all your points, the last one in particular.

Life without Fyfe - At the start of the game, it looked a bit dire. We were winning hitouts, but the giants were doing a good job of beating us to the ball. It got better by the end, mainly because of the work of Mundy & Neale, but it goes to show how predictable our centre clearances usually are.

Griffin v Clarke - Griffin's spent a lot of the last quarter as our #1 ruckman, vs a 2nd gamer, and I honestly think the battle was even, leaning toward's Lobb winning. Up forward, I think Clarke & Griffin both offer similar things (which is to say, not much). But if anything happened to Sandi in a game, I'd have confidence having Clarke there to backup, but I wouldn't with Griffin. He should've towelled up in the ruck today.

Goalkicking - Our goalkicking is getting steadily worse and worse. Mayne & Pav have both previously been the best set shots in the comp. What's happened since then? And what do we do to fix this? My opinion: get rid of Sumich. Love the guy, he was a great player, but he has to shoulder some of the blame for this. If one player was having an issue, then we can blame the player. If the entire team is having issues, maybe we should look at the guy that's training them. Even Crozier, who's relatively newer to the team, and used to be a great set shot, sprayed everything today.

Future of Freo - A Peace did a good job up forward today, taking on the role of 2nd tall forward. And that's after spending the rest of the season as 2nd tall back. Do you guys realise... we have a tall, mobile, kpp swingman! And then we get a debutant today! He only played the one quarter, but what he has in looks he showed today he also has in talent. A couple of disposals and a tackle in his first couple of minutes of AFL football is a pretty decent debut. At times I thought he might have a twin brother on the field - he was everywhere. We've been asking to see this guy play all year and he showed today he has what it takes for the step up to AFL. Lets hope next time there's no vests to be seen.

Freo fans = Best fans - Last week's news has been dominated by news of crowds booing every touch. Today's commentators were baffled by our crowd cheering every touch - from our debutant Lachie Weller. I'm proud of our fans for doing this today, rewarding a kid, and spurring him on to make his first game as amazing as possible.

Got to give Griffin a chance - only 3 games in after a 2 year layoff. I don't think his ruckwork is too essential to our flag aspirations but his forward presence. Could have had 2 today and is showing strong contested marking around the forward 50.

However he could also be the inspiration the coaching panel are hoping for Zaarke to tear it up in the WAFL and fight his way back into the side.

I think he'll go, but did anyone else see the similarity between Zacs elbow and Chris Judd on Pav a few years ago?

Also, thought MDB was good in close, fed out a lot of handballs.

I had the exact same thought. Almost identical circumstance. Judd's was deemed insufficient, so Dawson will probably get 2 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd rather Weller pushed out Sheridan.

I watched that free he took after Griff was off with the blood rule

He tossed the ball about, dropped it, and I thought straight away he is over confident, he is in a too familiar comfort zone for mine

How did he miss that set shot, bang in front

So glad there is legit competition for spots

Weller has to stay in. Played better than 3/4 of the team in less than a quarter of footy. Offers way more on a wing the D. Pearce and is a much better kick.

I'm loving the run that Sherro is giving us although it might just be me but it seemed like he butchered the ball almost every time he got it. Croz was equally poor.

Skills were piss poor which has been mentioned. Way too many handballs and stupid ones too to team mates under pressure or without looking. It was almost like there were 22 Sandilands out there today.

If there was one player who would f*** up a shot 15m out it would be D. Pearce and I said that to my mate before he took the kick.

A. Pearce was pretty good up forward but his set shots need some work. Definitely something to work with there.

There weren't a lot of positives out of this game other than 4 points, Weller, A. Pearce, Walters and Hill.

Shero had a very accomplished game today I thought. I seriously wrote him off earlier in the year but I liked it. Hes edging towards Suttie imo.

He gave us a lot of run-and-butcher and a bit of rabbit-in-headlights. Sheridan is like Danyle Pearce with stagefright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back