Analysis Review v Port Adelaide, Round 18 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Templeton weak in the tackle - I know, bad injury, 2nd year player. Has lost his pace. Hope he bounces back.

Armo clearly tired or carrying an injury.

Sinclair again good, Roberton our best, then Dempster.

Hopefully Roo comes back so the kids can play more games with him this season.
Roberton??? Can't be serious, I was at the game live, he looked very slow and cracked very easily under pressure combined with basic skill errors, very poor, did try and put it, but poor

I havnt read all the 'game day' or 'review' post's so im not sure if its already been mentioned.
But did anybody else notice that Port was wearing their jumper with the ENERGY AUSTRALIA logo on the front but Jay Schultz was wearing a jumper with the RENAULT logo on the fronto_Oo_O
Stood out like dogs balls cos one logo is green & the other is yellow.
Surely they are disqualified for wearing two diff jumpers:D
Is one the home jumper and one the away? Perhaps they ran out of the correct ones. I've seen a post about this previously somewhere, wonder if it incurs some sort of penalty for being wrongly attired?

Not sure if anyone else was at the game, but something wasn't right from the outset, not sure how it is decided which end teams warm up at and we had the scoreboard end with the swirly and atrocitious wind, but the boys were butchering their kicks, missing targets, dropping marks and other basic mistakes you would expect to see in an amateur C grade comp. Not sure if it was the wind as it was a prick, or if the lads were not switched on or something else was amiss

We've been screwed over by the umpires more than any other club the last few years though, the For and Against free kick stats back that up.

I get labelled a serial umpire whinger here but I wouldn't whinge as much if we got a decent run from the umpires and I certainly wouldn't complain about other Saints fans whinging about them either, if they screw us over we need to vent about it.

The umpires are part of the game, and now an even bigger part of the game these days thanks to the WWE style AFL entertainment show, so you can't blame people for talking about them, blame the bloody AFL for trying to make umpires a bigger part of their show.
Not sure if it was shown on the TV broadcast, but the 50m penalty where the umpire got hit with the footy, at the ground a replay was shown of the umpire getting hit in the arm with the football, the arm he had help up to call out the 50m penalty, a split second before the same replay clearly shows both his hands raised signalling "play on". Not sure how a 50m penalty for being in the restricted area can be paid AFTER he has called play on?

My 3 votes this week...

Sailor Jimmy Caribbean Rum! :drunk:[/QUOTE]

Bought some duty free Sailor Jerry after an overnight international - Spiced rum - what was I thinking - do yourself a favour and buy this
772753_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569854531800.png

After my rum review, now for my game review. I've never left a game early and very rarely do I turn off a TV game but yesterday was one. Crap disposal and decision making.

Dempster - champ AA

Geary - I'm sorry being "hards as a cats head" isn't enough - just ask Tom Simpkin.

Goddard - thank you Carlton

Sinclair -1st of many many times time he will get 20 possessions

Schneider - sorry time to go

Webster - one of our best kicks being asked to play defensive???

Newnes - getting better and better

Hickey - played the first half forward for one point. Better around the ground than Longer but not as good in the ruck - both fail to impact forward.

After my rum review, now for my game review. I've never left a game early and very rarely do I turn off a TV game but yesterday was one. Crap disposal and decision making.

Dempster - champ AA

Geary - I'm sorry being "hards as a cats head" isn't enough - just ask Tom Simpkin.

Hickey - played the first half forward for one point. Better around the ground than Longer but not as good in the ruck - both fail to impact forward.

Webster has been playing a defensive role most of the year and to be fair to him he's been growing his game and doing really well. Wingard is a bloody good footballer and even though Webster got beaten on the day I think he held his own. Wingard only had 10 touches for the game early in the last qtr. Unfortunately he bobbed up and kicked some really impressive goals. The guy is a freak, but hopefully Webster will learn from it, he's having a pretty good year as a defender IMO.

Schneider not up to the grade today. Give him the Sydney game as a farewell but that is it.

Just lost with Riewoldt out there. Since Round 23, 2012 haven't won without him. 6 losses.

I think now is the time to give Longer a rest. Hickey much better in the ruck yesterday after half time.

Just a good old fashioned "home-town-calls" umpiring display yesterday.

ive been a fan of Gears over the yrs.
Guy has a heart like a horse.
But unfortunately he has a kicking leg like a lame donkey.
Love the bloke but he just cant kick.
Cant see him being dropped/traded though.
Club obviously rate his other attributes very highly cos we keep making him skipper when Roo is out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ive been a fan of Gears over the yrs.
Guy has a heart like a horse.
But unfortunately he has a kicking leg like a lame donkey.
Love the bloke but he just cant kick.
Cant see him being dropped/traded though.
Club obviously rate his other attributes very highly cos we keep making him skipper when Roo is out.
The last bit is what worries me. I'm hoping he's only in the team why we're developing.

I reckon that's part of the reason why we've got Webster playing such a defensive role so he can eventually take over from Geary.

The last bit is what worries me. I'm hoping he's only in the team why we're developing.

I reckon that's part of the reason why we've got Webster playing such a defensive role so he can eventually take over from Geary.
He's a hard player to judge is Gears.
I think he has genuine leadership qualities and gives 110% most games. ( hence the club making him capt)
But i think his very wonky disposal at times has held him back from blossoming from just a 'good handy player' to a ' bloody good player' .
Just as he plays a couple of 'break out' games he'll butcher the ball in the next few games.
But i can understand how some peeps on here rate him very highly. Despite his flaws he seems like the type of player who really tries to give his all for the club.
Its been a slightly frustrating career so far IMO.

You'd think eventually a back six of Goddard, Delaney, Lee, Savage, Roberton and Webster would prevail. At least four and probably five of those guys are good kicks.

You'd think eventually a back six of Goddard, Delaney, Lee, Savage, Roberton and Webster would prevail. At least four and probably five of those guys are good kicks.
Savage stands out like a shining light sometimes when we are butchering our kicks.
He is a seriously fantastic passer of the ball by foot.
His kicking will be a huge asset when we are a finals team again. Should be in the peak of his career then as well.
Great drafting by our club:thumbsu:

IMO that game from geary was the worst anyone's played for us this season.. Yes including shentons.. He was genuinely a walking turnover.. I'm sorry yes he tried hard and does well on his opponent but moving forward players with his skill level need to be phazed out.. We can't have that

Dempster - champ AA

I do not get it about Webster, everyone states he is in the elite class kicker, ah sorry, he misses targets time and time again, against Port under limited pressure (none) he kicked out on the full to a clear free target. Just because he is a left footer does not make you elite and just because you kick it to Spencer White with Sandy as part of a highlights package does not make you elite. Luke Hodge is an elite kick from day 1 he was behind the ball for Hawks who were shocking back then as the quarterback because he was elite by foot. I just do not see it with Jimmy, must admit he has other attributes such as speed and really good one on one.

Have to wonder about Geers but he did get mark of the day with just a plain courageous mark early in the Port game. If we were more polished by foot then we could carry him, but when we need all the polish we can get to stay competitive you have to wonder. IMHO he is not going anywhere and will be a stalwart at the one club.

I do not get it about Webster, everyone states he is in the elite class kicker, ah sorry, he misses targets time and time again, against Port under limited pressure (none) he kicked out on the full to a clear free target. Just because he is a left footer does not make you elite and just because you kick it to Spencer White with Sandy as part of a highlights package does not make you elite. Luke Hodge is an elite kick from day 1 he was behind the ball for Hawks who were shocking back then as the quarterback because he was elite by foot. I just do not see it with Jimmy, must admit he has other attributes such as speed and really good one on one.

Have to wonder about Geers but he did get mark of the day with just a plain courageous mark early in the Port game. If we were more polished by foot then we could carry him, but when we need all the polish we can get to stay competitive you have to wonder. IMHO he is not going anywhere and will be a stalwart at the one club.
Yes he does miss some targets but Webster is way down the list on clangers per game. around 80% DE for the season

ATM I'll take "looks a better kick than is a s$%^ kick"

So your comparing him to Hodge - a #1 draft pick, club captain, 2-time Norm Smith medal winner & 2-time Premiership captain, 3-time Premiership winner, future hall of famer & arguably future 'legend' of the hall of fame

Right-e-o... tough crowd ;):confused:

A fair comparison is Grant Birchall (although he's taller than Jimmy) as he generally plays on the dangerous mid-size forwards & is a good user of the ball, but not without the occassional clanger.

Jimmy's kicking is a weapon. He has the most penetrating kick in the team for distance & height, as unlike Savage who can kick a long high ball to a target, Jimmy is capable of kicking the ball just as far if not further, but a lot lower off the ground. If you have any doubts as to what he's capable of, go back & watch his 27 touches against Hawthorn while playing on Cyril who only managed 1.3 & 13 touches

Last edited:
Okay I'll bite.

That was one game. I think that JW adds good disposal skill set to our backline, give it to him because he is better than Geary and a few others, just not in the elite class. I just hold my breath less when he has it.

I am attempting to differentiate between elite and what is thrown around as the term 'elite'. Take Hodge away and replace with Dal Santo was an elite kick from day dot and I reckon that Jimmy is twice the competitive one on one beast than Dal is. Yes I know he was pick 8 and JW wasn't. We as a club need more quickness by hand and foot which will develop as we get more experience and confidence playing with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back