Strategy The case for a third tall forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Paddy Ryder was such a difference. Should have won the game for us. I forgot what it was like to have an aerial threat in the forward line.

But can Butcher play a defensive role????

That's the million dollar question isn't it, given the primary KPI for our forwards this year is whether they can cover 15 kays up and down, side to side.

We're playing Paul Stewart who is having about as much impact as I would have.

I don't care if Butcher and Harvey can't get near it in the SANFL at this point. ******* play one of them Jesus Christ

I am more concerned at Jay Schulz's decline in 2015. Schulz gives it everything but he is having little impact on the scoreboard and as a result we rely on smaller forwards to kick goals. Playing Ryder up forward is an answer but it may no longer be a matter of getting help for Schulz but finding a replacement for him.

Given we are going nowhere in 2015 we should really look to the future and get some games into Harvey. If we revisit Butcher I am OK with that as at least we will have confirmed what he is not or on the other hand he may surprise.

Which ever option we choose I do not see any sense in sitting on our hands and letting the season run it's inevitable course. We need to try and salvage something from the train wreck that is 2015. If I was any good at graphics I would have a locomotive with 2015 emblazoned on it going off the end of a trestle into a ravine.

Considering Shaw, who is probably the most logical KPF replacement option for this year, is injured, Harvey lacks fitness, Butcher seems to be done and our next ready tall option is probably Logan Austin - what about pushing Trengove up front for the remainder of the year? He has mongrel, could at least bring it to ground and act as a foil for Schulz/Ryder. Might release Westhoff for the roaming role.

Side note - has Shaw re-signed? I can't see why we wouldn't give him as least another year considering our investment into him.

Considering Shaw, who is probably the most logical KPF replacement option for this year, is injured, Harvey lacks fitness, Butcher seems to be done and our next ready tall option is probably Logan Austin - what about pushing Trengove up front for the remainder of the year? He has mongrel, could at least bring it to ground and act as a foil for Schulz/Ryder. Might release Westhoff for the roaming role.

Side note - has Shaw re-signed? I can't see why we wouldn't give him as least another year considering our investment into him.
Don't forget Doogie Howser!

Have we got it wrong with the Ryder/Lobbe combo?

Should we be playing Ryder in the ruck 70% and Lobbe as a forward 70% rather than the reverse?

Lobbe takes one contested mark forward and everyone loses their mind. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobbe has improved over last few weeks and taken some marks and kicked some goals.
He actually took a couple of marks today (and botched another ten - but....) and had 7 or 8 SUBLIME taps to OUR mids at the centre bounces.
Was this the Lobbe I had seen who couldn't hit the side of a barn rucking against the foam bag in the warm ups all season?
Wasn't doing that even in his breakout season last year.

Lobbe has improved over last few weeks and taken some marks and kicked some goals.
I haven't watched the game, so can't comment on his tap-work today (I thought it was ordinary last week), but he seems to be inching towards better form in other aspects of his game. He's certainly not improving with a rush, but I'll take good nullifying play over the liability he had become in the first 13 weeks of the season.

Lobbe takes one contested mark forward and everyone loses their mind. :D

It wasn't a 'lose mind over one mark' comment but rather an observation that Ryder has been the better ruck this year. He's also been the better forward but we have struggled around the centre with Lobbe's rucking and Paddy provides more around the ground, so perhaps we should reverse the roles and see how things turn out.

Lobbe has struggled with injury and a lack of preseason or maybe it's just that his ruck peak has been reached. Why not give him a run up front?? He could at least bring it to ground, is a strong tackler and would provide a focal point. Not saying that Ryder isn't doing these things, as stated he has been the better ruck and forward this year, just that maybe we need him more in the middle and that Lobbe might be able to hold the fort up front.

Last edited:
Have we got it wrong with the Ryder/Lobbe combo?

Should we be playing Ryder in the ruck 70% and Lobbe as a forward 70% rather than the reverse?

Did anyone notice that both Lobbe and Ryder spent a little less time looking at the opposing ruckman, before going up for the ball in the centre square today.
They were looking at the ball in the air a hell of a lot more.
Peering at the opposing ruckman usually leaves no time to formulate an intelligent tap.
I reckon they were both told to change that approach to centre square contests. Sensible.

Ryder's work at the centre bounces is really quite sensational. Ideally you'd like him to contest all of the centre bounces and then drift forward whilst Lobbe battles on at the around the ground stoppages. Obviously doesn't work in practice but that pretty much sums up our dilemma here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back