Media Roundin' It Out: 'Round the Grounds for the Round 1 Round Up

Remove this Banner Ad

Hello all and welcome to the first ever Loon Inc production, where we will be rounding up the round that was. In Round 1 we saw a Grand Final rematch, we saw the hapless Wonders take on the might of the Roys as well as a multitude of players playing their first game, be it in the SFA at all or having moved clubs for greener pastures.

MATCH OF THE ROUND: Coney Island Warriors vs Dragons FFC at Van Corlandt Park

The dust had barely settled on the controversy at the end of season 19, as allegations flew about the SFA that boncer34, a member of the Dragons and the simmer of the Grand Final, had rigged the game in favour of the Dragons. The Coney Island Warriors were out for revenge in this Round 1 clash.

The ball was bounced and less than two minutes later, LCynic had opened his account with a shanked attempt at goal. The Dragons set the game ablaze and flew out to a 25-0 lead before Raveneyes at last kicked the first for the Warriors in the 10th minute of the game. The Dragons continued to dominate the scoring but some inaccuracy saw them unable to capitalize, as the quarter ended with the Dragons leading the Warriors 6.4.40 - 2.2.14. The Warriors picked up the first goal of the second quarter through Mr_Smooth, but soon after the Dragons captain The Filth Wizard kicked his first. While the Warriors were more competitive in the second quarter, the Dragons kept the pace with them the entire way, as the players headed into the rooms at half time with the Dragons still leading 9.6.60 - 5.5.35.

Wooshette_ began the second half well, kicking a goal to give the Warriors some hope of a fightback, but once again the Dragons continued to impress, kicking four straight goals to extend their lead to 37 at three-quarter time. The Warriors once again opened the scoring in the third quarter, a goal from Raveneyes bringing the margin down to 31, but the Warriors kicked poorly in the term and failed to put any scoreboard pressure on the Dragons, kicking a disappointing 2.9 for the entire quarter. As the game went on and the Warriors faded, the Dragons sunk their teeth in and blazed their way to a 17.8.110 - 9.16.70 victory.

And so the Warriors were once again left disappointed in their performance against the Dragons but 15 games remain for the season and anything can happen.

Hate impressed for the Dragons, with 12 hitouts, 37 disposals and 3 goals, while 3 goal hauls from The Half Back and Pie 4 Life helped bury the Warriors. chefmeister dominated in the midfield, collecting a cool 40 possessions to go along with 9 tackles.

We caught up with the man of the hour, Hate, and asked him for his thoughts on the game:

Loon: Firstly Hate, you were on fire. 12 hitouts, 37 possessions and 3 goals. Clearly you were invigorated by the presumably baseless allegations of the Warriors following the Grand Final?

Hate: Coming off the back of a premiership win I've had the taste of success stuck in my mouth all off-season. I'm not one to toot my own horn about things that I've done, because after all it is a team game. So I'll just stick with saying that I'm pleased with my performance, but at the end of the day I'm just trying to do my bit to ensure the Dragons have more success. As for the Warriors allegations, I think we've proven them wrong now.

Loon: Next, chefmeister had a phenomenal day in the midfield. Does it make your job as ruckman easy when you have guys like him around racking up the touches?

Hate: @chefmeisterwas an important cog in our side last season and drove a lot of teams crazy with his on and off field prowess. It makes my job incredibly easy, I can virtually tap the balls anywhere and one of my teammates will find it. He's backed up his S19 performance up in round one with a 40 disposal game which we believe hasn't been done (stat guys??) too many times in the leagues history.

Loon: Any other thoughts about your premiership ambitions in season 20?

Hate: We're looking to go back-to-back and have started our campaign in the leagues milestone 20th season off in dominant fashion after disposing of the Warriors, again. I think our side has been strengthened over the off season with a few inclusions and along with our leadership group I don't see any reason why we won't go back to back.

Loon: Thanks for your time and congratulations on a fine performance.

Las Vegas Bears vs East Side Hawks at The Stadium in the Sky

The Las Vegas Bears found themselves in the finals in Season 19, but were eliminated at the hands of the Royals in the first week. Their opponents, the East Side Hawks also appeared in the finals last season, however they were victorious in their Elimination Final against the Demons but fell to the eventual Premiers the Dragons in the Semi Finals. Both teams were eager to get their season off the mark, and other obvious comments.

It took around 6 minutes in this game from the first bounce for a goal to be kicked, with SFA Admin okeydoke7 getting the Hawks going. The Hawks pushed to a 21-0 lead before new Bears recruit Wise Guy Sam kicked his first for his new club in an attempt to steady the ship as the first quarter ended with the Hawks leading the Bears 3.3.21 - 1.2.8. Big Cox 88 and Quivorir opened their accounts for season 20 with the first and second goals of the second term for the Bears, handing them a 2 point lead. kane249 continued to pile on the hurt for the Hawks, kicking truly from the pocket and engaging in some #bantz with Ashton Agar to celebrate. Wise Guy Sam added a second to his tally before the Hawks finally responded, larrikin kicking the final goal of the half to see the Bears go into the sheds with an 8 point lead.

The Hawks came out of the rooms like a house on fire (I never understood this saying, if someone can explain it to me I would greatly appreciate it), kicking 4 goals in a row to reclaim the lead and give themselves a nice buffer. The Bears responded with 2 goals of their own and going into the final change, the Hawks had reclaimed a 3 point lead. The 4th quarter began with a shootout, with both teams trading goals before the Bears kicked two in a row. A string of behinds ended the game, and the Bears ended up as the victors, 10.14.74 to the Hawks 10.4.64. Ominous signs from the Bears if they can kick straighter in future.

Quivorir was the pick of the players here, kicking 4.6. Better laces on his boots and that could’ve been a 10 goal haul. Wise Guy Sam was also excellent in his debut for the Vegas club, booting 3 goals and laying 9 tackles.

Geelong Wolves vs Gold City Royals

The Wolves looked to improve on their disappointing season 19 efforts with a win over the semi-finalist Royals.

The Wolves started off well with Willo_ kicking the first major of the game. This is about where the good times for the Wolves ends, however, with the Royals dominating the quarter to lead 6.1.37 - 2.1.13 at the first break.

The second quarter was evenly contested, with goals for the Wolves from Spanna65 and Beng, with sverik25 and Blacky kicking truly for the Royals. The Royals maintained their four goal advantage at the major break.

The Wolves started the second half brilliantly, kick two back to back to reduce the margin to just 11 points, but from here the Royals kicked into gear with five straight to lead by 45 at three quarter time.

The punishment continued in the final term with the Royals unloading a barrage of 6 goals to the Wolves’ 3 to finish the game the victors, 19.8.122 - 9.7.61.

COHL and Speck both ended with three goals for the Royals in what was a dominant team performance. akkaps fought valiantly for the Wolves but was unable to get his side over the line.

West Coast Wonders vs The Roys FFC at The Colosseum

The Season 19 wooden spooners faced a tough task in Round 1, taking on the preliminary finalists in the Roys. The Roys were almost unbackable going into this game, as the Wonders were extremely long odds to pull off a victory.

The Wonders’ season started off magnificently with @Licorice Allsorts scoring a goal with the first possession of the game. The Wonders kicked the first three of the game before debutant Allikat brought one back for the Roys. This was only a brief break in the momentum however, as the Wonders ended the first strongly, kicking another 2 goals to lead 5.1.31 - 1.2.8 at quarter time. The second quarter started as the first one ended, with the Wonders kicking another two goals before another Roys debutant MEB_ scored. All time games record player Fred canceled out @ClarkeM’s effort, before Allikat kicked a second to send the game into half time with the Wonders leading by 24.

Chezzalenko Reborn scored early for the Roys in the second half, and Allikat kicked a third goal on debut to keep the margin at three goals after a TwentyNine goal. The Wonders dominated the remainder of the quarter and led at the final break by a seemingly insurmountable 38 points.

The Roys again kicked the first goal of the quarter in the fourth, but it wasn’t enough as a string of behinds killed their momentum and allowed the Wonders to maintain their grip on the game. The Wonders ran out with the chocolates like Augustus Gloop and celebrated a rare win like it was 1999.

At full time, it was the Wonders 15.6.96 to the Roys 10.10.70.

Wonders captain Golumless led from the front with three goals, a haul shared by ClarkeM and TwentyNine. Brown Bottle was strong in the ruck as well, and provided a goal for his efforts.

Sin City Swamprats vs Fighting Furies at Underground Stadium

The Swamprats narrowly missed out on finals in season 19, and in Round 1 they came up against one of the four preliminary finalists from the previous season in the Furies.

The Furies kicked the first of this game almost 3 minutes in thanks to SpudsLoveChild. The Furies kicked a few in a row before the Swamprats claimed the lead. This was short lived, as a Furies behind saw the scores locked up at 19 apiece. Scores were traded amongst the sides and the quarter ended with the two teams inseparable at 26-all. The Furies again opened the scoring in the second quarter, but it was canceled out by Swamprats captain spookism shortly after. The game continued to be hotly contested but it was the Swamprats who were able to edge out to a 10 point lead at half time.

@Millky_95 extended the lead for the Swamprats after the break before three consecutive goals from the Furies saw them claim the lead. The Swampies responded with a 4 goal blitz to end the third quarter with a comfortable 21 point lead.

What felt comfortable was however proven to be more like an awkward touch on the shoulder from a distant relative, as the Furies fought back hard in the final stage. They kicked three straight to bring the margin back down to a measly 2 points before the Swamprats responded with a goal via toxic. New recruit Tarkyn_24 kicked a goal for his new club to keep them in it, before BILC kicked a goal to give the Furies a lead. With the margin just 4 points with nearly 22 minutes played, it seemed like time was slowing down at the Underground Stadium. With roughly 25 minutes played, Swamprat AusHorrorStory was in on goal! All he had to do was dob it and the Swampies would be victorious. The occasion piled the pressure on the lad however, as an embarrassing kick from right in front went through the behind posts as the siren went, handing the Furies a 3 point victory.

As good old Jim Ross would say, this one was a true slobberknocker. The Furies victorious 14.8.92 - 14.5.89.

Spookism and I Don’t Care were outstanding, amassing 30 and 29 disposals respectively. BILC and Tarkyn_24 were vital for the Furies, kicking 3 goals each.

Baghdad Bandits vs Mount Buller Demons at Abdu Prison

The final game of the opening round of season 20 saw the Bandits (11th in S19) take on the Demons (6th). Not gonna lie writing all of this is more painful than I expected but I will give it a red hot go. Itsmyshow started well for his new club, kicking the first goal of the game. The Demons dominated the scoring, but were wildly inaccurate as the quarter ended with the Demons leading 3.6.24 - 3.1.19.

deaneus kicked his third and fourth goals of the game early in the second quarter to stretch the Demons’ lead, which got out to 22 points. The Bandits attempted a recovery but the Demons were well on top as the half ended with that margin.

The Bandits launched into action as the second half began, quickly cutting the margin down to 3 points. 3 goals in a row for the Demons looked set to bury the Bandits, but the men from Baghdad did not give in, as the third quarter ended with just a goal the difference between the sides.

Itsmyshow claimed the lead for the Bandits early in the final quarter, and his teammates followed on. The Bandits turned a 6 points defecit into a 15 point lead part way through the quarter. The Demons tried to regain their lead, but the Bandits held on, clinching an impressive 19.10.124 - 16.14.110 victory.

Itsmyshow dominated the game, kicking 8 goals straight, while cammo6556 will be disappointed he could not hit the scoreboard harder with his 28 disposals and 5 behinds. deaneus tried hard for the Demons, kicking 6.3.

Let's take a look at the ladder after Round 1:
d4f79f05a3.png

That's the end of the programme.
Thanks everyone for watching, we'll leave you tonight with a live performance from our special guest Haddaway, with a message to remind us to abide by the laws of W.A.F.F.L.E.-O: We're all friends, friends love each-other.
Good night!

This has been a Loon Inc production. For any enquiries or suggestions, please PM Loonerty. For any complaints, please PM Mighty P.

It's not bad however you seem to be confused on where on the position I actually played on the weekend. I did kick an admirable 3... from the wing.
I didn't mention your position. "Led from the front" was in reference to Golumless.

Ive heard of an oval in the sky but on a plane?! What are you Wonders smoking??
We're flying high......
We're flying high......
We're flying high......
We're flying high......
We're the Wonders
The West Coast Wonders,
And we're here to show you why,
We're the big birds, kings of the big game,
We're the Wonders, we're flying high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impressive!! If you can keep this up all year it will be phenomenal and likely thread of the year.

Lol, someone keeping thread going for the year, you have me in stitches IMS.

TL;DR: Some teams won, others didn't. Baby don't hurt me, no more.
Oh I don't like that others didn't part. Episode 1 gets a thumbs down for me.

Far too much work and effort went into this mate

Well bloody done. I look forward to reading the remaining 3 or 4 until you can't be stuffed anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back