Fitzroy V Mazenod

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 16, 2001
Behind the goals at the BSO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy, North
Forget about the booing of that AFL player. If you want to hear some real booing come along to this match as I hate the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. It will be cold and wet but all will be well if we win out at the coldest, ugliest oval in B Grade.

A win takes us out of the relegation zone and puts Mazenod in real danger of relegation.

Adam Goodes publicly humiliated a 13 year old girl and was then awarded Australian of the Year. People boo him. Is it racism, or is it dislike for the fellow and his behaviour, or a mixture of both? The other 70 aboriginal players playing AFL don’t get booed but all would admit, the Goodes affair has become, at least distasteful, and is probably more correctly described, as, simply, vicious. It should stop.

But, if you want to see pure hatred, absolute prejudice, irrational behaviour in bucket fulls, just stand behind the goals, with the Tramconductors, at a Fitzroy v Mazenod match. I do not like Mazenod. I cannot stand Mazenod. I now boo them all, in case one of their players is an indigenous player who has been awarded Australian of the Year. This is not true. I boo all Mazenod players, as I am completely irrational as far as the Oblates of Mary Immaculate are concerned.

This was a match perfectly set up for me to enjoy: Mazenod, second last, coming off a disappointing loss which resulted in mass changes at the selection table. A cynic might suggest that Mazenod were tanking, selecting a side that would not win, and so sending them down to C grade where wins are easy. The Mazenod seniors were dominated with good looking, old, bald, blokes. They dropped anyone with hair. Maybe they are not all bad after all.

I started my day working on Wolf Hillier, a former ruckman for the Hawthorn Amateurs. Wolf has buggered knees (and teeth) and is booked in for a couple of knee replacements. Best of luck old fellow, and the good thing is both knees are going to be replaced, so they cannot do the wrong one i.e. miss at point blank range. Missing at point blank range was an issue at Central Reserve.

I arrived during the Reserves match and the Roys were struggling. The reinforced Mazenod seconds was well in front but the Roys lifted in the second half and were not disgraced.

The senior game opened exactly the way it finished. Gater, our seven foot tall ruckman, won the tap out, straight to an on baller. Bang, the ball was in our forward line. This was a recurring theme. Gater dominated the taps, feeding Matty K, took a mark or two and won several free kicks as the opposition ruckman struggled to complete with his height. This is an encouraging sign for next year.

Mazenod’s first goal came from a turnover from Matty K who decided to make his only mistake early on in the match. Matty had the ball on a string for the rest of the match and we lost count how many Matty K passes resulted in goals for Fitzroy. Our first goal resulted from Rory marking deep in defence, laying the ball off, getting on his bike to receive a handball forward of the centre and slotting a fifty metre goal. The score at quarter time was 4 4 to one goal straight. Our zone defence was impenetrable while poor kicking kept the match from blowing out. Mazenod looked entirely out of their depth

The game tightened up in the second quarter. They had more of the play this quarter and a Mazenod goal after the half time siren kept the margin to thirty points at half time. They also scored a goal after the siren at the end of the third quarter and scored the last two goals of the game.

Some appalling misses, Dalts from the goal square, were the only blemishes in the third quarter. The last quarter, minus the last five minutes, was a cake walk as Danny B got leatheritis as pass after pass speared into his hungry hands. We nearly saw the highlight of the season as Max Ellis, my sponsored player, came forward and had a shot for goal. He was only thirty yards out and so Maxie boy is still looking for his first Fitzroy goal.

This was an important win as I will now temper my behaviour at Mazenod games. We have beaten them enough so I do not hate them so much. It also means we are out of relegation territory and Mazenod are right in it.

Sweet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back